Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy befriends 4.8-metre-long python

UM-Bot

snakebig.jpg
While many children might wish to curl up with a dog or cat, a young Cambodian boy prefers to spend his time with a 4.8-metre-long python. In the village of Sit Tbow, 50 kilometres east of Phnom Penh, Sambath Uon, seven, reportedly refuses to go to sleep without the company of his pet, Chamreun, or Lucky, in Khmer.

The snake slithered into town in 2000, when Sambath was just a few months old.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• CANDIDPETS

• Sporkling

• Jewels1958

I can sense what the snake is thinking, "Ah, yes, fatten the little tyke up just a little more. Mmmmm, he looks so yummy. I can't wait to wrap myself around his warm body and sink my fangs into this one!"

People like this should have their children taken away from them. There is nothing cute about risking the life of an innocent child by placing it in the company of a wild, unpredictable animal.

I can sense what the snake is thinking, "Ah, yes, fatten the little tyke up just a little more. Mmmmm, he looks so yummy. I can't wait to wrap myself around his warm body and sink my fangs into this one!"

People like this should have their children taken away from them. There is nothing cute about risking the life of an innocent child by placing it in the company of a wild, unpredictable animal.

Oddly enough, most animals don't like to eat humans. Snakes fall into that category as well.... unless the snake is starved or sick the boy will be fine.

What I find much more disturbing is those people who want to have others' children taken away b/c they do not agree with their legal and reasonable choices.

Oh, and pythons don't really have fangs...

JS

PS. I wouldn't have a snake that size in my house with my small children around, but that's my own choice.

This will probably end badly. No decent parent would allow this. Not unless they wanted to get rid of their child.

"While the boy's father tried to return the snake to the forest three times, the Burmese python loyally returned to her young master"

It sounds to me like the parents tried to do the reasonable thing, and take the python back, but it decided to return on it's own. It makes me wonder, though, what it is about this boy that makes the python so loyal and attached? The article stated that they normally do not like to be around humans. ??

This will probably end badly. No decent parent would allow this. Not unless they wanted to get rid of their child.

:no: Agreed, letting your child around any thing that could pose danger no matter how safe some one may think, is just plain ignorant.

Edited by clover

Agreed, any thing that could pose danger to your child no matter how safe some one may think, is just plain ignorant.

Yes, there is no way that I would just say "oh, well, we tried!" It's not just the danger of it being a Python, but also that snakes can carry salmonella on their skin, and if the child doesn't wash his hands and then use them to eat, he could die. I think the parents need to get their priorities straight and get rid of the animal, any way necessary.

2 Things:

One day the parents will cry out for the boy and find the snake missing.

If that snake came back, it was meant to be eaten. Snake stew!

"While the boy's father tried to return the snake to the forest three times, the Burmese python loyally returned to her young master"

It sounds to me like the parents tried to do the reasonable thing, and take the python back, but it decided to return on it's own. It makes me wonder, though, what it is about this boy that makes the python so loyal and attached? The article stated that they normally do not like to be around humans. ??

Really. Then kill the dang snake. Don't let your kid play on it. Geesh.

I watched a documentary once about how we are taught fear. If you put a young child who hasn't been introduced to indoctrinated fear near a dangerous animal they'll see it like any other cuddly wuddly animal. Personally, I think it's nuts. But I don't think the parents have any sinister plot or reason to get rid of the child. They do need to get rid of it though. Like any pet, under certain conditions they can turn on their owners.

Darwin award? Summer 2008?

As strange as it may seem, there have been other reports of large, potentially dangerous reptiles, such as alligators and crocodiles, that appear to "bond" with families. Conventional wisdom says that these creatures are incapable of such, and are always dangerous creatures to be treated with extreme caution. More and more data are coming in suggesting that these creatures are more complicated than first thought, however. Nonetheless, large reptile pets are certanly not for beginners, and one shouldn't raise one with the expectation that it will become 'tame" or "love" them back.

Jeez, it's just me who thinks that this is cool...? Anybody ever read A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room? How about Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone?

TeraLink Was Here!

Jeez, it's just me who thinks that this is cool...?

Nah, I think it's cool too, but I agree they should be cautious.. and make sure the python is well fed at all times.. :unsure2:

Common, didn't you ever read the jungle book?

^ the photos don't really matter, did you watch the video on the website?

Wow. Check out this pic from the article.

linked-image

That's one big snake.

Wow. Check out this pic from the article.

linked-image

That's one big snake.

I know that most "Western" people are christians, but a lot from that part of the world are not and have different beliefs. One of the Eastern religions (Hindu?) teaches of reincarnation (which has also been argued is in the bible but the powers that be when the bible was first written up, didn't like it and had it removed). Reincarnation, in that you can come back as anything if your soul has a lesson to learn. I tell you, the first thing I thought of (because I give credence to reincarnation) is that this snake is someone that knew him or will know him and love him. For the very fact that the father tried 3 times to take the snake back to the jungle and it came back to this one boy and not any other in the village. That says alot to me.

that python could wrap around the boy anytime and could easily kill him.. what do these parents think of?!

I know that most "Western" people are christians, but a lot from that part of the world are not and have different beliefs. One of the Eastern religions (Hindu?) teaches of reincarnation (which has also been argued is in the bible but the powers that be when the bible was first written up, didn't like it and had it removed). Reincarnation, in that you can come back as anything if your soul has a lesson to learn. I tell you, the first thing I thought of (because I give credence to reincarnation) is that this snake is someone that knew him or will know him and love him. For the very fact that the father tried 3 times to take the snake back to the jungle and it came back to this one boy and not any other in the village. That says alot to me.

I thought exactly the same thing. And yes, there are still some traces of reincarnation belief still in the Bible, such as when many people who listened to Jesus thought he was the reincarnated Elijah. But even if the reincarnation part is not true, the parents probably believe this, and this is why they are taking such risks. What is thought to be "reincarnation" could also be a human spirit enter the body of an animal, just as many enteresting human accounts, if we acknowledge the existence of spirits. This could explain why some animals also seem to become intelligent unkillable monsters, like the Lions of Tsavo or the Crocodile "Gustave" that has supposedly killed over 300 people. In both cases, the locals believed a spirit controlled these animals.

But in truth, large "tame" pythons that are accustomed to human "companions" virtually NEVER deliberately "turn" on them. Virtually every account of pet pythons attacking their keepers involves a feeding accident where the snake thinks it is constricting a food item, but strikes the human by mistake and then instinct takes over. The more the human struggles, the harder the snake will squeeze.

For example, that scene could end in tragedy if a goat or dog suddenly came on the scene, and while attacking these, the snake might constrict the child as well.

Does anyone here honestly believe these parents haven't thought about the snake being dangerous? Come on! Just because they live in Cambodia, it doesn't mean the parents are mindless snake idolizing idiots!! Of course they keep the snake fed. It would have attacked the child by now if they hadn't, besides, there is plenty of prey in the jungle surrounding their village. Of course the snake and boy are supervised by adults.... geez.

It says the parents are idiots and when that child is killed they can blame it on luck. :no:

Does anyone here honestly believe these parents haven't thought about the snake being dangerous? Come on! Just because they live in Cambodia, it doesn't mean the parents are mindless snake idolizing idiots!! Of course they keep the snake fed. It would have attacked the child by now if they hadn't, besides, there is plenty of prey in the jungle surrounding their village. Of course the snake and boy are supervised by adults.... geez.

Whatever. You don't know that. The parents are idiots. Good grief. The fact that some of you are defending them is sad & scary in itself.