Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy befriends 4.8-metre-long python

UM-Bot

Really. Then kill the dang snake. Don't let your kid play on it. Geesh.

You know, I was just WAITING for you to reply to my post. I'm surprised it took you this long. I was pointing out the fact that they at least tried. They weren't welcoming it with open arms and letting it stay the first time it slithered through. We're not there. We're not them. So we don't know the dynamics of the situation. These people live around these animals. Maybe they have a different view of how 'safe' it is. I don't know. You don't know. Our personal opinions here are that there is NO WAY we'd let that animal around our child. But we're not them. State your opinion. But MY opinion is that you need a serious lesson in how to state your opinions tactfully and respectfully.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• CANDIDPETS

• Sporkling

• Jewels1958

linked-imageWhile many children might wish to curl up with a dog or cat, a young Cambodian boy prefers to spend his time with a 4.8-metre-long python. In the village of Sit Tbow, 50 kilometres east of Phnom Penh, Sambath Uon, seven, reportedly refuses to go to sleep without the company of his pet, Chamreun, or Lucky, in Khmer. The snake slithered into town in 2000, when Sambath was just a few months old. While the boy's father tried to return the snake to the forest three times, the Burmese python loyally returned to her young master and has earned the acceptance of villagers, who think she brings good fortune. Young Sambath said of his faithful companion: "I love the python like my sister." The affection appears to be mutual, despite the fact that pythons are typically afraid of people and avoid humans if at all possible.

One of the world's largest snakes, the Burmese python, which is found throughout Southeast Asia, can grow up to 8 metres long and weigh up to 180 kg. Females like Lucky are typically longer than males.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: The Telegraph

Snakes dont usually hurt people, unless they are hungry, then they hunt their food. I had a burmise python, she was 9 1/2 feet long. Fed her every 2 weeks. Never had problems with the snake. She was moreless a " watch dog " than a snake, only because people are terrified of snakes, when someone tried to break in the house , seen the snake, they ran. Other than that, I took her to boyscout shows, to the lake, to work, etc. As long as you keep them fed, you dont have much to worry about. As far as snakes, I've had more problems with my ball python, only because he didnt like my husband, so anytime i would take him out and hold him, etc, he would strike at my hubby, never striked at me or the kids. But however snakes dont usually hurt people, keep them fed, and dont show fear, they love fear.. they can sense it, as a horse can sense fear.

I can sense what the snake is thinking, "Ah, yes, fatten the little tyke up just a little more. Mmmmm, he looks so yummy. I can't wait to wrap myself around his warm body and sink my fangs into this one!"

People like this should have their children taken away from them. There is nothing cute about risking the life of an innocent child by placing it in the company of a wild, unpredictable animal.

Furthermore, pythons do not have teeth, its all " gum ". imagine a person with no teeth trying to eat something, thats what a python is doing.

Some snakes have teeth / fangs, some dont. pythons are one that dont.

you make me sick, people like you is the reason why so many animals have almost gone extinct

KIILL KILL KILL is your most rational choice, I am so disgusted !

I am disugusted that you would choose a snake over a child. So sad.

Your solution to the problem is what is most scary though

Back to the OT I agree that having a snake that size around a child isnt a good idea. But unlike ERic the ignorant ignorant skeptic, I dont think MURDER is the solution :no:

Murder. LMAO. Thats funny. You should go on tour with your wit.

Double post.

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

But its still not so good to kill the snake when it did not do anything wrong yet. I also hear of dogs killing people.

Edited by cryingwoe

But its still not so good to kill the snake when it did not do anything wrong yet. I also hear of dogs killing people.

The point is get the snake away from your child. No matter what you have to do.

Pitbulls should not be around children either.

Furthermore, pythons do not have teeth, its all " gum ". imagine a person with no teeth trying to eat something, thats what a python is doing.

Some snakes have teeth / fangs, some dont. pythons are one that dont.

ARE YOU MAD??!!

PHYTHONS DON’T HAVE TEETH??!!?

Herpetology (the study of reptiles and amphibians) is a study of mine and constrictors (Pythons and Boas) cannot swallow their food without teeth!

"I am disugusted that you would choose a snake over a child. So sad."

Do you not know how to read? Where did i say i picked a snake over a child?? I said I didnt agree with what they were doing, WHy would you make things up and put words in my mouth? I really just totally lost even more respect for you!

I would seriously trust that big monster snake over you around children ANY DAY with your violent ignorant mentality

eric the ignorant skeptic if you had half a brain you woulf of realized that there were many many many solutions to keep the snake away from the child without killing an innocent gentle creature that has not caused harm to anyone

Someone like you though with your limited intelligence just cant seem to understand that and think of other humane alternatives

On a more happy note im glad to see a lot of forum members here do care for living creatures and dont think everything should be killed for no reason

that makes me happy :)

eric the ignorant skeptic if you had half a brain you woulf of realized that there were many many many solutions to keep the snake away from the child without killing an innocent gentle creature that has not caused harm to anyone

Someone like you though with your limited intelligence just cant seem to understand that and think of other humane alternatives

On a more happy note im glad to see a lot of forum members here do care for living creatures and dont think everything should be killed for no reason

that makes me happy :)

Thanks for all the insults. I see thats the best you have. I will choose my wonderful child any day over a snake.You can choose the snake. Keep insulting me if it makes you feel better. This is the problem with parents today and the reasons so many children end up dying or getting hurt.

I heard this on the news. And I think my stepdad said they better keep it feed well. If not the snake will come after the boy. Lets hope they doesn't happen. *Shakes head.*

why not put the snake in some kind of zoo? then the boy can see the snake whenever he wants and they can have trained people on hand do deal with any problems. I believe the boy shouldn't be sleeping in bed with a huge snake like that if I had kids I'd find some good way to deal with it. Like get animal control or send it off to the zoo like I said.

"I will choose my wonderful child any day over a snake."

I NEVER CHOOSE THE SNAKE OVER A child i dont understand why you do not understand this after i have mentioned it TWICE already. Is english your first language? I am just confused every other poster here knows what i am trying to say except u!

I dont think that child should be around the snake but its YOUR SOLUTION to the problem that i found insulting I wish you could see that but i dont think you will ever able able to for some reason

this is NOT about insulting you its about YOU being rude and saying horrible things and being insensative to others, im sure there are many snake owners on this board that love their snakes and your comment was rude and extremly ignorant and i just hope that someday you will understand that

every other poster on here seems to understand it but you, im sure i wasnt the only one offended by your comment just the only one who actually spoke up about it

Edited by cateyes221981

I agree with matt

another alternative is re locating the snake even further away, snakes slither there is only so much homing instinct in a snake you take it a few hundred mils away the snake wont remember its way back, few hundred miles into some thick bush would be a good idea but then that leaves the kid heartbroken..I wouldnt wanna see him around to hear him cry and scream when the snake is taken away but it is another humane alternative

im guessing the snake was attracted to the village because of the chickens and dogs and just made a friend on the way

Edited by cateyes221981

"I will choose my wonderful child any day over a snake."

I NEVER CHOOSE THE SNAKE OVER A child i dont understand why you do not understand this after i have mentioned it TWICE already. Is english your first language? I am just confused every other poster here knows what i am trying to say except u!

I dont think that child should be around the snake but its YOUR SOLUTION to the problem that i found insulting I wish you could see that but i dont think you will ever able able to for some reason

this is NOT about insulting you its about YOU being rude and saying horrible things and being insensative to others, im sure there are many snake owners on this board that love their snakes and your comment was rude and extremly ignorant and i just hope that someday you will understand that

every other poster on here seems to understand it but you, im sure i wasnt the only one offended by your comment just the only one who actually spoke up about it

Poor poor sanke owners. Whatever. The safety of a child is the most important thing. Nothing else matters. This coming from a former snake owner. :no:

The fact that you can't understand this scares me.

Let the kid cry & scream when the snake is taken away. At least he will be safe. Something that some posters don't seem to care about.

But the snake many never kill in its life

Or it might kill the child. It is not a risk worth taking for any sane person. :no:

you mean i am insane?

Are you? I don't know. I just saying a sane & reasonable persona whould not have their child around that large of a snake. Do with it what you will.

oh? then what in your opinion should we do?

Get rid of the snake by any means necessary.

Gee, Eric...is this a tough question? :huh:

I would have never let that snake near my child to find out IF they got along and became attached, then get rid of it.

Edited by Michelle

I wouldnt KILL the snake but id take a long long hike or drive and release it back into the wild.

i guess thats still picking a snake over a child lol... id let my kids be around a snake i dont know of that size but i wouldnt let them be afraid of it but i wouldnt leave them alone with it either.

i dont see anything wrong with having a snake a pet and letting your kids be around it. I would rather have my kid around a snake non venomus of course than a dog only cause my kid was bit by a dog and i dont like them anyway.

i think alot of you went overboard when saying they should take the kid away from the parents or they are deadbeats get off you high horses and accept the fact that there are other countries and other cultures that are different than your own.

Gee, Eric...is this a tough question? :huh:

I would have never let that snake near my child to find out IF they got along and became attached, then get rid of it.

Exactly. It seems some people have lost their common sense.