Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is Tarot ?

UM-Bot

user posted image rJim Wickson: Tarot (also known as Tarock, Tarokk, Taroky, Taroc, Tarok, Tarocchi and similar names) is a family of trick taking card games played with an enlarged deck of 78 cards which include an extra court card for each of the four regular suits, a permanent trump suit of 21 cards, and a kind of "wild card" called "the Fool" or "Excuse.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: American Chronicle

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papaver

• UM-Bot

• Jewels1958

• Pishtaco

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife was into Tarot cards when I first met her. She did my tarot reading and the results turned out to be vague but admittedly accurate in some general respects, a bit like a horoscope can seem relevent to you, but in reality, they are all relevent to you such is the way they are written. I asked for an immediate new reading but she said that you weren't supposed to do that - it's bad luck!

Yes bad luck for the people who sell Tarot cards as, like horoscopes, the readings are vague and you can find the facts in your life to fit in with the readings. Whilst the card readings are all different, they are also vague and hence almost always fits in with your life in some way, especially if you try!

James Randi did an experiment along these lines. He handed out a supposedly tailor made for the individual horoscope to a class of students. He asked them to rate them for accuracy and relevence to their lives and they came back, impressed, giving 7s, 8s and 9 out of ten for relevence. Was Randi a master in the art of Astrology? Yes, in a way he was.

He then asked the students to swap horoscope readings with the people sat behind them.

Guess what? Every horoscope was identical!

I think Tarot operates in exactly the same manner.

My wife was into Tarot cards when I first met her. She did my tarot reading and the results turned out to be vague but admittedly accurate in some general respects, a bit like a horoscope can seem relevent to you, but in reality, they are all relevent to you such is the way they are written. I asked for an immediate new reading but she said that you weren't supposed to do that - it's bad luck!

Yes bad luck for the people who sell Tarot cards as, like horoscopes, the readings are vague and you can find the facts in your life to fit in with the readings. Whilst the card readings are all different, they are also vague and hence almost always fits in with your life in some way, especially if you try!

James Randi did an experiment along these lines. He handed out a supposedly tailor made for the individual horoscope to a class of students. He asked them to rate them for accuracy and relevence to their lives and they came back, impressed, giving 7s, 8s and 9 out of ten for relevence. Was Randi a master in the art of Astrology? Yes, in a way he was.

He then asked the students to swap horoscope readings with the people sat behind them.

Guess what? Every horoscope was identical!

I think Tarot operates in exactly the same manner.

I read Tarot cards and I have read them 2 or 3 times for a person. But anyway, I think it is like anything there are good ones, and fakes. If someone reads your cards and says, oh you will marry the man/woman of your dreams and have three kids is a fake imo. Why? Because the way I feel about Tarot and Fortune telling in general is that the future is not set in stone. Any little thing you do today will change the future. I think of the future as a tree and every descision as a new branch on that tree. So therefore how can you tell someone exactly what is going to happen? You can't. What you CAN tell them is that there is the potential for something to happen. I tell people this when I read for them, which is not that often any more so I am a bit rusty. :P

Oh and btw my great aunt read cards for a living. But she used a reagular deck of playing cards (which is called Gypsy style if I am not mistaken), she read my grandmothers cards one day and told her to be careful or she would have an accident. My grandmother started to laugh and right then her chair broke, she hit her chin on the table as she fell and was knocked out cold. When she came to (none the worse except for a sore chin), her sister was leaning over her shaking a finger and saying, "See you should listen to me!!". Grandma used to love to tell that story. lol

Any little thing you do today will change the future.

With respect, that makes the whole system pretty useless...

Any one and every one has potential.

• 1 year later...

I have this game and it is awesome. you play on teams, one has the advantage of more players and the team of two players must do their best to over come the larger team. Scores are kept to determine the grand winner of the game. The cards you buy for reading fortunes are no longer the same as this game. If you haven't played the game you should give it a shot. I picked up an old deck when I was last in France.