Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Andean Underground

William B Stoecker

For years, there have been rumors of extensive tunnel networks, built in ancient or even prehistoric times, under the Andes Mountains and other locations as well. One entrance is said to be under the Incan (or pre-Incan) ruin of Sacsahuaman, located on a ridge not far from Cuzco, Peru. Some accounts say the tunnels extend all the way down into Cuzco, some miles away, and emerge within an Incan palace now converted into a Catholic church. There have been stories of people venturing into the tunnels, never to be seen again; one account even claimed that an entire squad of soldiers were lost in this manner. Equally far out claims are made for extensive, even intercontinental tunnels, or even a hollow Earth. To say that this is improbable is perhaps an understatement.

Some years ago I journeyed to Bolivia and Peru, visiting the church/palace and the ruins at Sacsahuaman, which consist of two main structures, each partly natural and partly, or mostly artificial. The size and mass of the stones is mind-boggling, and the geometry of the structure is so bizarre as to be nearly indescribable. I was on a guded tour, and time was limited, so, while I clambered all over one structure, I had no chance for a close up view of the other side of the second structure, where, according to my guide, the tunnel entrance was located. He said that, years earlier, he had explored a small part of the tunnels, a popular activity for the teenagers of the area, until a young couple ventured in and vanished, and the government put a locked gate over the entrance.

Some time later, and further north, I visited Macchu Picchu, where I saw a natural cave entrance in the complex; my guide verified that it was, indeed, a cave, but gave no more information and seemed remarkably incurious.

So why are these systems not being publicly explored? They may well contain emeralds and gold or the greatest treasure of all, knowledge. Teams of archaeologists, aided perhaps by spelunkers, could safely explore them. They might even become, in time, another lucrative tourist attraction. Perhaps they have been explored, but, if so, it has been kept secret. What are the authorities hiding? William B Stoecker

For years, there have been rumors of extensive tunnel networks, built in ancient or even prehistoric times, under the Andes Mountains and other locations as well. One entrance is said to be under the Incan (or pre-Incan) ruin of Sacsahuaman, located on a ridge not far from Cuzco, Peru. Some accounts say the tunnels extend all the way down into Cuzco, some miles away, and emerge within an Incan palace now converted into a Catholic church. There have been stories of people venturing into the tunnels, never to be seen again; one account even claimed that an entire squad of soldiers were lost in this manner. Equally far out claims are made for extensive, even intercontinental tunnels, or even a hollow Earth. To say that this is improbable is perhaps an understatement.

Some years ago I journeyed to Bolivia and Peru, visiting the church/palace and the ruins at Sacsahuaman, which consist of two main structures, each partly natural and partly, or mostly artificial. The size and mass of the stones is mind-boggling, and the geometry of the structure is so bizarre as to be nearly indescribable. I was on a guded tour, and time was limited, so, while I clambered all over one structure, I had no chance for a close up view of the other side of the second structure, where, according to my guide, the tunnel entrance was located. He said that, years earlier, he had explored a small part of the tunnels, a popular activity for the teenagers of the area, until a young couple ventured in and vanished, and the government put a locked gate over the entrance.

Some time later, and further north, I visited Macchu Picchu, where I saw a natural cave entrance in the complex; my guide verified that it was, indeed, a cave, but gave no more information and seemed remarkably incurious.

So why are these systems not being publicly explored? They may well contain emeralds and gold or the greatest treasure of all, knowledge. Teams of archaeologists, aided perhaps by spelunkers, could safely explore them. They might even become, in time, another lucrative tourist attraction. Perhaps they have been explored, but, if so, it has been kept secret. What are the authorities hiding? William B Stoecker

Thanks for the post. Sacsahuaman is truely incredible and the mysteries are numerous. The best known structures are three megalithic walls running parralel, in a zigzag pattern, for over 300 meters. Each wall towers over visitors and are constructed of massive stone blocks, many over 200 tons. They are fitted together with such extrodinary precision that it seems almost impossible. The Incas have generally been given credit for the construction but there is no evidence for this and it is just a guess. Many have speculated that the builders were a far more anceint civilization, now lost. Also in the area are terraces that have been cut out of solid bedrock. Of great interest to me these terraces are very similiar to the underwater terraces found off Japan at Yonaguni. There are many other mysterious sites in this area. I have never seen a television program or newspaper article on these sites and therefore wonder, related to William's last comment, why does mainstream media not report on this area. Just a thought. John

• 3 weeks later...
The Incas have generally been given credit for the construction but there is no evidence for this and it is just a guess. Many have speculated that the builders were a far more anceint civilization, now lost.

Sacsayhuaman is undeniably built by the Incas. It was not some other ancient civilization that built the place, it WAS the Incas. Sacsayhuaman is not the only Inca building with that type of masonry used on the walls, but it is the biggest one built in that style that survives.

The way that they were built is certainly completely mind boggling, but the Inca did all sorts of things that are seen nowadays as mind boggling: They had enormous stone buildings that were completely covered in gold, their royal road was longer than any Roman highway, they were some of the best stone masons that have ever lived and they had people who could run 100 miles or more in a day to carry messages. Too bad Pizarro and the other Spaniards ruined their culture and destroyed their history.

And there are tunnels all over Latin America.

I climbed into some Maya ones on the Yucatan Penninsula and in Chiapas.

Edited by Billah

I visited Sachsaywaman last August. Truly an impressive sight. I also spent nearly a week in Cuzco, so that I had plenty of time to visit the city and the nearby Inca ruins.

Actually, In Sachsaywaman there are no visible tunnel entrances. The Spaniards, however, reported large tunnels connecting the three main towers on top of the plateau with the temple of Koricancha.

The only accessible tunnel entrances are to be found a few hundreds meters from Sachsaywaman proper, on the nearby hill of Rodadero. There lies a gigantic rock cut amphitheatre, with remains of tunnels and rock cut trenches. A few tunnels are quite well cut and polished, running for a few hundreds meters beneath the nearby hills. None of these, however, goes much deep underground, and they all end quite abruptly. Locals call the place the"Chincana Chica" , i.e. the lesser labyrinth.

The great labyrinth (Chincana Grande) is to be found about 300 meters to the North of the Chincana Chica. To find the place is not much difficult, since it is marked by one enormous, finely carved, andesite monolith called by locals the"Pedra Cansada", since it did not make all of its way to Sachsaywaman, believed to be the largest single stone block ever quarried in all of South America (actually, it looked quite natural to me). Under this stone, in a place marked by a huge monolithic seat, I was told once stood the entrance to the Great Labyrinth, which was however walled up in the XIX century. The tunnel can indeed be entered for a few meters, but the remaining part has appearently collapsed, making it impossible to go further.

Also, these Chincanas should not be confused with the other tunnels at Q'emko, which are however quite unimpressive compared to those at Sachsaywaman. Also, while Q'emko is usually crowded with tourists, very few people ever venture North of Sachsaywaman to the Chincanas, thus adding to the charme of the place.

Other tunnels also exist beneath the Koricancha, under the present convent of Santo Domingo. Surprisingly, the tunnel entrances are just in plain sight within the conventual church, only covered with wooden trapdoors. None of these, however, can be entered without a very long rope and some good speleological equipment.

http://www.crystalinks.com/cusco_kathleen.html

Ancient Tunnel Discovered in

Sacred Inca City of Cuzco

linked-image

http://www.labyrinthina.com/sacsayhuaman.htm

http://www.misionrahma.com/ingles/disc_solar.htm

linked-image

One of the direct descendants of Huyustus, travelled to an island of the great sacred lake, an island that today is in Bolivia and it's called the Island of the Sun. He knew that in that place there was an ancient tunnel that would help him to flee from danger. This capable and intelligent man would later be known as Manco Capac or Ayar Manco, the mythical founder of the Inca Empire.

Manco Capac verified that many men lived in a state of barbarism and, far from feeling repulsed by them, he felt mercyful and sorry for the violent rythm of life they were experiencing. For this reason and, guided by a higher force, he decided to help those peoples, so that they could live under the light of civilization.

The galactic Confederation aproved of his intentions and granted the necessary support to start what was called the "Inca Project". It must be mentioned that Manco Capac was not alone. The project was began with the assistance of her sister, who in the Andean legends is known as Mama Ocllo.

Manco Capac and his Great Empire

The site chosen to seed a new civilization would be in Cuzco (Qosco), a magnetic place that had all the necessary conditions to serve as the stage for a high culture. The beginings of what could be called the "second Inca dinasty" (the first dinasty corresponding to the Tiwanacu culture), went by with utmost hapyness, peace and abundance.

Not a very long time went by before Manco Capac revealed the existence of the Solar Disc. Before his death, he told his heir, Sinchi Roca, how to find the secret entrance to the subterranean chamber on the shores of Lake Titicaca, in a place known as Mamacota or Puquinacocha (place of origin). The disc was inmediately found and was transported to the Koricancha, a temple in Cuzco containing much gold and consecrated to the Sun.

http://www.earthworksforhumanity.org/pages...u_Tunnels.shtml

The best known of these temple treasures were secreted into the tunnels by the queen of Atahualpa, the last Inca. History informs us that the Inca queen had loaded up 11,000 lamas with golden treasures in hopes of exchanging her cargo for Atahualpa's release, but when she learned that the Spanish planned to murder her husband whether they received the gold or not, she ordered that the train be immediately unloaded and its cargo permanently hidden within the tunnel system.

According to many Inca legends, the Andean tunnel network unites all the major Inca temple compounds in the Andes, and it was once used as an underground highway system for Inca priests traveling throughout the Inca Empire. Some of these subterranean '"roads" led to the hidden Inca cities of Vilcabamba and Pattiti, the '"City of Gold." The guides at the temple compound of Sacsayhuaman overlooking Cuzco currently regale tourists with stories about one of the Andean tunnels that Inca priests once used to travel between the hilltop fortress and the Coricancha temple, which is about one mile away in the center of the city. The entrance to this tunnel was still open as late as the mid 1800's, and people were often discovering golden treasure within it. But like all the other entrances it was eventually sealed up because adventurers and treasure seekers were constantly getting lost in the elaborate tunnel system it connected to.

Edited by crystal sage

• 6 years later...

There are plenty of rumors of long cave systems and tunnels and whatever. There are stories like that in the US where tunnels and caves are supposed to connect distant places. There is a story that a group of Apaches escaped the cavalry by riding their horses into a cave and days later appearing out of Carlsbad cavern.

I'm not surprised to hear stories of caves and tunnels all over the Andes as well.

Guanape%20Sur_720px.elokuva-thumb.jpg

Guanape island.

One of the most interesting things about the tunnels is that there is a tunnel that goes from the ones around Cuzco and Saacsuhuyan and runs in the direction of Guanape island, until it hits seawater. One may think that at the time that the ocean was lower, the tunnel may have been empty of water and gone all the way to the island.

Guanape island.

One of the most interesting things about the tunnels is that there is a tunnel that goes from the ones around Cuzco and Saacsuhuyan and runs in the direction of Guanape island, until it hits seawater. One may think that at the time that the ocean was lower, the tunnel may have been empty of water and gone all the way to the island.

And what is the length of this tunnel?

I don't believe that there is a tunnel that long. Where did you get this info about the tunnel?

• 2 weeks later...

And what is the length of this tunnel?

I don't believe that there is a tunnel that long. Where did you get this info about the tunnel?

Hello, Sterreologist.

I read about the tunnel that runs in the diretion of the island here: http://nephicode.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-tunnels-of-peru-and-ecuador-part-i.html

The thing is, the length of the tunnel system is, we know, already very long, stretching from Saacsuyan all the way underground to Cuzco. Considering the Nazca lines, Machu Pichu, and other impressive feats of the Incans or pre-Incans, I don't rule out that, especially when the sea level was muh lower, that they made a tunnel all the way to the island. But it seems to me that such a tunnel would have to be very deep in order to go under the seabed, which does seem unusually difficult. And yet if the tunnel is now filled with sea water at some point in the tunnel that goes in the island's direction, and it is an artificial tunnel, then who knows how far it went?

Hello, Sterreologist.

I read about the tunnel that runs in the diretion of the island here: http://nephicode.blo...dor-part-i.html

The thing is, the length of the tunnel system is, we know, already very long, stretching from Saacsuyan all the way underground to Cuzco. Considering the Nazca lines, Machu Pichu, and other impressive feats of the Incans or pre-Incans, I don't rule out that, especially when the sea level was muh lower, that they made a tunnel all the way to the island. But it seems to me that such a tunnel would have to be very deep in order to go under the seabed, which does seem unusually difficult. And yet if the tunnel is now filled with sea water at some point in the tunnel that goes in the island's direction, and it is an artificial tunnel, then who knows how far it went?

These stories are hoaxes. Yes it appears several places online, but it is the same hoax being repeated time and time again. I believe that the source for this hoax is EVD.

Stereologist,

Maybe it is a hoax, but what makes you think that?

There are in fact caves on Guanape island, where "guano" (bat fertilizer) is mined. Perhaps this German periodical is the source of the story:

Speleologists did not remember these caves until 1971, when an expedition was organized. The periodical Bild der Wissenschaft gave an account of the expedition which descended in the neighborhood of the Peruvian village of Otuzco equipped with all the latest technical equipment (winches, electric cables, miner’s lamps and hydrogen bottles).

Two hundred feet below the earth the scientists made a staggering discovery.

At the far end of caves which had several stories they suddenly found themselves confronted with water-tight doors made of gigantic slabs of rock. In spite of their tremendous weight, four men were able to push the doors open. They pivoted on stone balls in a bed formed by dripping water.

Bild der Wissenschaften
reported as follows:

“Vast tunnels, which would leave even modern underground constructors green with envy, began behind the ‘six doors.’ These tunnels lead straight towards the coast, at times with a slope of 14 per cent. The floor is covered with stone slabs that have been pitted and grooved to make them slip-proof. If it is an adventure even today to penetrate these 55- to 65-mile-long transport tunnels in the direction of the coast and finally reach a spot 80 feet below sea level, imagine the difficulties that must have been involved in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries in transporting goods deep under the Andes to save them from the grasp of Pizarro and the Spanish Viceroy.

The Great Ocean lurks at the end of the underground passages of ‘Guanape,’ so called after the island that lies off the coast of Peru here, because it is assumed that these passages once led under the sea to this island. After the passages have gone uphill and downhill several times in pitch darkness, a murmur and the strangely hollow sounding noise of surf is heard. In the light of the searchlight the next downhill slope ends on the edge of a pitch black flood which is identified as seawater. The present-day coast also begins here underground. Was this not the case in former times?”

Scholars think that a search on the
island of Guanape
would be pointless, because there is nothing there to indicate that a passage from the mainland ever emerged on to it.

“No one knows where these subterranean roads of the Incas and their ancestors end or whether they lead the way to the bursting treasuries of worlds that vanished long ago.”

Stereologist,

There are in fact caves on Guanape island, where "guano" (bat fertilizer) is mined. Perhaps this German periodical is the source of the story:

http://www.bibliotec...gold_gods01.htm[/indent]

Your reference is an excerpt from one of Von Daniken's utterly untrustworthy volumes:

http://www.bibliotec...ds.htm#Contents

As a descendant of the Inca, I call BS. Also, anytime you see things like "structure that would leave modern engineers green with envy" or "precision that could not be achieved with modern tools", you need to be skeptical.

There is absolutely nothing from the ancient days that could not be replicated today by simply throwing money at it.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

Guanape Island is about 6 miles from the Peruvian coast. I am not sure how deep it is, but a 6 mile tunnel is not impossible, especially if the ocean was much shallower. Nonetheless, Guanape is maybe 500 miles from Cuzco, so I somewhat doubt that they made a tunnel all that way just for an island like that.

Stereologist,

http://www.bibliotec...gold_gods01.htm[/indent]

The length of the tunnels and the source. You are claiming tunnels far longer than those made by modern man and tunnels under the ocean. Such tunnels do not exist. EVD is a fraud making up fiction.

Guanape Island is about 6 miles from the Peruvian coast. I am not sure how deep it is, but a 6 mile tunnel is not impossible, especially if the ocean was much shallower. Nonetheless, Guanape is maybe 500 miles from Cuzco, so I somewhat doubt that they made a tunnel all that way just for an island like that.

Even if the ocean were shallower the tunnel would fill with water. That is a problem for mining for centuries. Pumps need to regularly remove water unless a drain can be drilled or dug. In the case of a tunnel under the ocean it is not possible to drill or dig a drain.

These stories are hoaxes. Yes it appears several places online, but it is the same hoax being repeated time and time again. I believe that the source for this hoax is EVD.

EVD was where I first read about these long exactly constructed tunnels. I now believe it is total BS.

Supposedly EVD said there was some kind of underground cave bird. I wonder if that might be real?