Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Avoid Death' is named wackiest label

LostLittleGirl

DETROIT - A warning on a small tractor that reads "Danger: Avoid Death" has been chosen as the nation's wackiest warning label by an anti-lawsuit group.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Wacky Warning Label Contest, now in its 11th year, is conducted by Novi-based Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch as part of an effort to show the effects of lawsuits on warning labels.

Kevin Soave of Farmington Hills, a Detroit suburb, won the $500 grand prize for submitting the winning label.

The $250 second place was given to Carrianne, Jacob and Robby Turin of Greensburg, Pa., for a label they found on an iron-on T-shirt transfer that warns: "Do not iron while wearing shirt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071212/ap_on_...SllZ9fD2YntiBIF

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FairyJosie25

• Stixxman

• my_psychosis

• MissMelsWell

the world through an idiots eyes must read like this stuff constantly

Gah! This whole situation is one of my pet peeves! I HATE people who are complete idiots, and because they didn't use their common sense, they end up injuring themselves or someone else, and are now filing a rediculous lawsuit. All because they can't take responsibility for their own actions! Grrrrr!!! Thus, these labels that the poor companies have to put on to save the morons from themselves! :angry:

K, rant over. :innocent:

Edited by FairyJosie23

I like the label/notice on packets of peanuts that states "this packet contains nuts" :lol:

How bloody daft that is :blink:

The "do not pull" on fire alarms are pretty amusing, like do they KNOW who they are talking to? I'm a rebel, I always do the exact opposite of what fixtures on walls tell me too.

My favorite warning lable was always "Cape does not enable wearer to fly"

And, for every day warning lables? Hairspray usually had a warning not to spray it into your eyes, and Bic lighters usually have a happy lable that asks you keep the flame away from your face. I think Smokers keep ignoring that one.

A dam rocket launcher in the military has a warning label that clearly says "FIRE TOWARDS ENEMY" or something in that line.... really, a dam soldier should already know how to use one, and to be reminded that rockets need to hit the enemy, and not your guys takes abit of a problem record. Hell I think a dam kid can pick up an RPG and NOT fire it behind them. honestly I dont think we need warning labels, just user manuals. IF you are hurt and try to sue, just say "read the ****ING manual you idiot then come back"

I like the label/notice on packets of peanuts that states "this packet contains nuts" :lol:

How bloody daft that is :blink:

Hahaha! I always thought that was the most random thing! :D

Here is my Fav. On a Swedish chainsaw - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STOP CHAIN WITH YOUR HANDS OR GENITALS. (What kind of consumer phone-call led to this warning?) :rofl::w00t::rofl::w00t:

In case you needed further proof that the Human Race is doomed through stupidity, here are some actual label instructions on consumer products:

1. On a blanket from Taiwan - NOT TO BE USED AS PROTECTION FROM A TORNADO.

2. On a helmet mounted mirror used by US cyclists - REMEMBER, OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE ACTUALLY BEHIND YOU.

3. On a Taiwanese shampoo - USE REPEATEDLY FOR SEVERE DAMAGE.

4. On the bottle-top of a (UK) flavoured milk drink - AFTER OPENING, KEEP UPRIGHT.

5. On a New Zealand insect spray - THIS PRODUCT NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS.

6. In a US guide to setting up a new computer - TO AVOID CONDENSATION FORMING, ALLOW THE BOXES TO WARM UP TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE OPENING. (makes sence, but the instruction was INSIDE the box.)

7. In some countries, on the bottom of Coke bottles - OPEN OTHER END.

8. On a Sears hairdryer - DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING.

9. On a bag of Fritos - YOU COULD BE A WINNER! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. DETAILS INSIDE. (The shoplifter special!)

10. On a bar of Dial soap - DIRECTIONS - USE LIKE REGULAR SOAP. (And that would be how?)

11. On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom of the box) - DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN. (Woop's Too late!)

12. On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding - PRODUCT WILL BE HOT AFTER HEATING. (Are you sure? Let's try it.)

13. On a Korean kitchen knife - WARNING: KEEP OUT OF CHILDREN. (Dammit! Who are they to tell me what to do with my kids?)

14. On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights - FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY. (As opposed to use in outer space?)

15. On a Japanese food processor - NOT TO BE USED FOR THE OTHER USE. (Now I'm curious.)

16. On Sainsbury's peanuts - WARNING - CONTAINS NUTS. (Wow! I never knew that)

17. On an American Airlines packet of nuts INSTRUCTIONS - OPEN PACKET, EAT NUTS. (I'm glad they cleared that up.)

18. On a Swedish chainsaw - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STOP CHAIN WITH YOUR HANDS OR GENITALS. (What kind of consumer phone-call led to this warning?)

19. On a child's superman costume - WEARING OF THIS GARMENT DOES NOT ENABLE YOU TO FLY. (That's right, destroy a universal childhood fantasy!)

20. On some frozen dinners: SERVING SUGGESTION: DEFROST.

21. On a hotel provided shower cap in a box: FITS ONE HEAD.

22. On packaging for a Rowenta iron: DO NOT IRON CLOTHES ON BODY.

23. On Boot's "Children's" cough medicine: DO NOT DRIVE CAR OR OPERATE MACHINERY.

24. On Nightly sleep aid: WARNING: MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS. (Gee ya think?)

I love stupidity. ITS natures cure for over population.

13. On a Korean kitchen knife - WARNING: KEEP OUT OF CHILDREN. (Dammit! Who are they to tell me what to do with my kids?)

14. On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights - FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY. (As opposed to use in outer space?)

15. On a Japanese food processor - NOT TO BE USED FOR THE OTHER USE. (Now I'm curious.)

Those three are my favs on that list. They made me lol. :lol:

the other use? :blink:

Well, I wasn't going to avoid death, but since someone made a label, I guess I'll have to.

Well, I wasn't going to avoid death, but since someone made a label, I guess I'll have to.

:lol: Hilarious ain't it?

One that always got me was on a glass carafe that came with a coffee maker. It said, "to avoid breakage, do not drop". Like dropping it was something you're gonna do on purpose! "Do not drop?!? Dang it! :angry: I just LOVE getting up in the morning and dribbling the coffee pot around the kitchen!" :lol:

Another one, not quite the same but annoying, is on boxes we get at work that have frozen baked goods in them. It says, "turn me over! This is my bottom!" What I want to know is, WHO'S TALKING TO ME? Is it the cookies? The cardboard box? I hear the voices, but where are they coming from?!? :blink:

On our new oven hood, exactly as printed: NO PROPESSIONAL DON'TTAKE PART IT.

We're not sure what it means, but we assume it's something like, "Me no speaky Engrish."

the world has to be safe proofed for all the dummies. Used to be you had enough will to live to be a little proactive about your own survival. Now with all the safeties no matter how dumb you are you still get to survive