Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did we land on the moon?

Illiniblue35

More images that only support my case.

:rolleyes:

Support your case that it was impossible to bend knees in a pressurized Apollo suit...?

Yes, I can see that.

Have you got any images with deep knee bends to show me, or not?

Oh, DEEP knee bends.

Change the qualifuications again, aftter your case is trashed again, Huh?

Turb.

You now bore me with this going on about nothing.

You go look through the hundreds and hundreds of photos, training, mission, etc.

You can find anything you want.

However, you won't, because you won't look. You'll ask us to do your homework, as you have many times, all the while imagining nonsense to "support" your non-position.

Get a grip.

You say "considerable effort" is needed for such flexibilty? Look at this clip...

Hmm...not much effort is really needed, after all.

"Fully flexible" - allows a joint to have complete range of motion. For example, the knee joint,

The spacesuit's knee joints are fully flexible - they're able to fold and sit on their legs with ease.

You must realize this, surely?

See above.

You seriously believe this image supports your case? Not close to the deep knee bends, as shown in the Apollo clips.

Do you have any worthwhile points? You've no case at all, right now.

I'm having a really hard time understanding what the poster is seeing that I am not. (or, rather, the other 'way around)

two videos were posted showing what he claimed to be ease of movement, and yet I see two astronauts haveing great difficulty. In the first one we see the astronaut trying to use gravity to get the knee to bend sufficiently, and in the second, it is the stiffness of the suit that prevents him from regaining an upright posistiion. I can not see in any way, shape or fashion how this supports his opinion.

Edited by Gaden

Hey Turbs...

Image4.jpg

What is this man doing in one of the production-model Apollo Lunar EVA suits that proves you wrong...?

Cz

"Fully flexible" - allows a joint to have complete range of motion. For example, the knee joint,

The spacesuit's knee joints are fully flexible - they're able to fold and sit on their legs with ease.

You must realize this, surely?

Fold and sit on their legs with ease?

Certainly, you don't actually think about what you say before saying it, do you?

What purpose would there be in folding one's legs and sitting on them?

Who does that...other than a Japanese, or a practitioner of zen, or perhaps another Japanese discipline who assumes seiza for certain disciplines (seiza: a seated position, look it up.)?

Somehow, I never saw an astronaut pick up rocks in such a position. Don't recall the requirement in specs to be able to assume seiza in an EVA suit.

You're just posting.

The things you say are senseless. Getting moreso every day.

I just think you've exhausted everything you ever had, and simply must try to continue belaboring dead issues...issues you don't unerstand in the least.

You don't see the multiple tries he puts into it? Or how he has to have all his weight above him to bend the knees and how he uses the inherent stiffness of the suit as it extends the joints to help him stand up? Are you watching the same video?

Fre...

It's an old issue.

Turb never did get the relationship between mass and weight.

Charlie was moving around about 385 lbs of mass there. People didn't understand the effort required when that clip 1st started appearing here. Some still don't.

:yes:

Much appreciated...(and fyi folks, I'm the new girl not guy) lol ;)

OH !

In that case, welcome to UM, M'aam!

:tu:

Indeed, mass is the measure of how much matter is in an object. The weight of something on the moon is less due to gravity being less. The mass of something, however, is still there.

The Science Channel's documentary mini-series "Moon Machines" has an episode detailing the design and construction of the Apollo Space Suit. The DVD series is available from Amazon (which is where I got my copy of the set) and other retailers, and the episode is available on YouTube, split into 5 parts:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Cz

Thanks for posting this Cz. Just watched it and really enjoyed it. :tu:

Indeed, mass is the measure of how much matter is in an object. The weight of something on the moon is less due to gravity being less. The mass of something, however, is still there.

Yea Lil, and that PLSS (backpack) weighed only about 20 lbs max on the Moon. But it caried over 100 lbs of mass when charlie went down on his front.

UGH...

:blush:

I'd bet that in his twisted interpretation, the clip he posted is further evidence of a hoax because he probably still contends that the actual space suits didn't have that flexibility. Of course, they did have that flexibility, but that won't sway him.

Yes indeed, and perhaps he already knows that. Wouldn't it be a shock if he admitted that he was a moon walk believer and was just here to have some fun?

Yes indeed, and perhaps he already knows that. Wouldn't it be a shock if he admitted that he was a moon walk believer and was just here to have some fun?

There's about as much chance of that ever happening as there is of you ever admitting that you really don't believe that UFO's are visiting us (Roswell and all that) and are just here pulling our collective legs... ;)

Cz

Sure, the spacesuits were that flexible - because they weren't pressurized. The problem is that it can't be done in a pressurized spacesuit. which is required to be on the moon. So this must be a fake.

Look at the knees. Now, what was that you were saying about the non-flexibility of pressurized spacesuits?

235794main_GPN-2006-000025_full.jpg

There's about as much chance of that ever happening as there is of you ever admitting that you really don't believe that UFO's are visiting us (Roswell and all that) and are just here pulling our collective legs... ;)

Cz

I think that he knows the real scoop. On another note, I am definitely not pulling any legs and all it took for me to get on the UFO track was my own sighting in 1968 in Vietnam, and what I have found over the decades has raised my eyebrows even further. Just about every base where I have been assigned PCS or sent TDY, overseas and stateside, has been involved in a UFO incident that involved super-maneuvering objects beyond our capabilities, and some incidents have not been reported.

Edited by skyeagle409

I think that he knows the real scoop.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

On another note, I am definitely not pulling any legs and all it took for me to get on the UFO track was my own sighting in 1968 in Vietnam, and what I have found over the decades has raised my eyebrows even further. Just about every base where I have been assigned PCS or sent TDY, overseas and stateside, has been involved in a UFO incident that involved super-maneuvering objects beyond our capabilities, and some incidents have not been reported.

Yes, I think we all realize that.

My comment was not intended to elicit any further off-topic UFO discussion from you in this forum.

Cz

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I think that he understands enough of the evidence. He reminded me of a person on another message board many years ago who was impersonating Senator Barry Goldwater and was having fun with us until it became evident that he was unaware that Senator Goldwater was later admitted to a hospital.

He soon disappeared after he was warned.

Look at the knees. Now, what was that you were saying about the non-flexibility of pressurized spacesuits?

235794main_GPN-2006-000025_full.jpg

He don't know Sky!

I don't think he realizes that no one could've ingressed, or egressed a Gemini spacecraft in a suit that didn't have movable joints.

Just getting in and out required them!

But still!

He wants deep knee bends...or pictures of someone sitting on his legs in a suit!

God... :cry:

Edited by MID

Sky, to be fair the early Gemini EVA suits (G4C) were tailored with the legs in a slightly bent position; most (if not all) pictures of them whilst inflated show the same knee bend. The Apollo suits, however, were designed with full mobility in mind.

Oh, DEEP knee bends.

Change the qualifuications again, aftter your case is trashed again, Huh?

Are you sure I've "changed the qualifications" on this? Let's review what I said, from the start....

I first brought it up in this post, from March 2. I posted a video clip, and commented on it...

"Due to the fact it is impossible to bend one's knee like the astronaut does in a pressurized spacesuit."

The clip shows an astronaut doing a deep knee bend

So it was very clear what I meant, right from the start.

If you'd bothered to review what I said on this, I wouldn't have to waste my time to prove your allegation is total nonsense.

No, because both the video you've posted demonstrate the opposite. It is not easy for the astronauts to flex the knee joint beyond a certain angle, it seems to get more difficult. The evidence you're posting to support your claim actually proves that you're wrong in this assessment.

It's obviously more difficult, because they have molded bellows at their knee joints! But they're still able to bend their knees as much, or near to, the full flex of a normal knee joint. If that's a pressurized suit, then I'm the King of Spain!

I'm asking you to provide proof, or at the very least evidence, that it would be impossible for the astronaut to bend his knee in the manner shown, and you supply ANOTHER video of an astronaut bending his knee (albeit with some difficulty?)

Do you know if joint flexion data exists for the Apollo spacesuit? I've seen a few documents that might be relevant, but I haven't gone through them yet.

Looks like a 90 degree bend to me. In a pressurised spacesuit. So why is that possible, but a slightly larger angle isn't?

Because of increased pressure, limiting (knee) joint flexion. It's still a problem with current spacesuit design, so obviously Apollo suits would be even less flexible.

Further reading for you, and points to bear in mind:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCt1V9qys0

Look at 3:45 onwards - thanks to CZero for that.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/A7LB_PGA_S71-2533.jpg

http://history.nasa.gov/spacesuits.pdf

I don't see any point from your clip or images. What is supposed to be relevant here?

It's obviously more difficult, because they have molded bellows at their knee joints!

Folks, I think we're getting somewhere!

But they're still able to bend their knees as much, or near to, the full flex of a normal knee joint. If that's a pressurized suit, then I'm the King of Spain!

Sigh.

Still waiting for the evidence that supports your uninformed opinion.

Do you know if joint flexion data exists for the Apollo spacesuit? I've seen a few documents that might be relevant, but I haven't gone through them yet.

Then I suggest you do your research first, THEN come to a conclusion based on that. Coming to a conclusion then cherry-picking evidence to suit your preconceived idea is little other than confirmation bias.

Because of increased pressure, limiting (knee) joint flexion. It's still a problem with current spacesuit design, so obviously Apollo suits would be even less flexible.

It's ALWAYS going to be a technical problem that needs to be overcome. Being modern doesn't mean that design difficulties just magically disappear. The Apollo suit worked, they could bend their knees to pick objects up, but that doesn't mean it was a perfect design.

I don't see any point from your clip or images. What is supposed to be relevant here?

Well, the first clip shows someone testing out the pressure suit for a range of motion, including deep knee bends. The second image shows a close-up of the pressure suit, clearly showing the bellows-type nature of the joints. The third PDF counters your claim that the suits were not designed with the limited range of motion you claim.

Still waiting for some evidence that backs up your claim, rather than an argument from ignorance.

Are you sure I've "changed the qualifications" on this? Let's review what I said, from the start....

I first brought it up in this post, from March 2. I posted a video clip, and commented on it...

"Due to the fact it is impossible to bend one's knee like the astronaut does in a pressurized spacesuit."

The clip shows an astronaut doing a deep knee bend

So it was very clear what I meant, right from the start.

If you'd bothered to review what I said on this, I wouldn't have to waste my time to prove your allegation is total nonsense.

Oh, Good!

Then they could do a "complete" deep knee bend.

Gee, I was hoping the engineering team had designed for that (Never noticed during the missions...must not have been paying attention ther!).

:rofl: !

Then there was the question about your requirement to be able to bend ones knees and sit on one's own legs in the suit.

Strangely, I never heard anything in the form of answer to that.

Of course, I didn't expect one.

And you're using the term "nonsense"???

:tu:

Good one!.

Hypocrite.

If you'd bothered to watch the videos I've linked a few times now, we wouldn't have to waste our time reading still more of your willfully ignorant garbage.

But then that's the thing... if you'd actually watched the videos, and addressed the images I have posted, then that would show that you weren't being willfully ignorant, that you were actually taking the time to learn something about the topic you're discussing...

However, we know that's not how you roll, right, Turbs...? :yes:

Care to address what is happening in this image:

Image4.jpg

Cz

Edited by Czero 101

Hypocrite.

If you'd bothered to watch the videos I've linked a few times now, we wouldn't have to waste our time reading still more of your willfully ignorant garbage.

But then that's the thing... if you'd actually watched the videos, and addressed the images I have posted, then that would show that you weren't being willfully ignorant, that you were actually taking the time to learn something about the topic you're discussing...

However, we know that's not how you roll, right, Turbs...? :yes:

Care to address what is happening in this image:

Image4.jpg

Cz

I'm gonna take a wild guess, Cz!

I's say the knee joint articulation is being illustrated clearly in an Apollo EVA suit.

Now of course, he's not exactly doing what Turb wanted to see, which was this (legs folded, sitting on the knees...despite the fact that such a requirement would've been ludicrous to spec out):

800px-Judo03.jpg

But you can't have everything!

I'm gonna take a wild guess, Cz!

I's say the knee joint articulation is being illustrated clearly in an Apollo EVA suit.

Ah, but you see, you actually know what you're looking at and talking about, unlike our integrity-challenged counterpart... ;)

Its amusing, and also extremely telling, that when given the proof he's asked for (the pictures and videos posted), Turbs apparently chooses to completely ignore it / them and continue to ignorantly prattle on.

:rolleyes:

Now of course, he's not exactly doing what Turb wanted to see, which was this (legs folded, sitting on the knees...despite the fact that such a requirement would've been ludicrous to spec out):

True enough... and actually, if you watch the Part 4 video just after the screenshot I posted, the person testing the suit does actually go right down to a kness-fully-on-the-ground kneeling position. As you've surmised, though, he doesn't go into a full sitting down position.

Cz