Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Banning Samurai Swords

KingTomis

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/od_nm/...lgJ9eos3mntiBIF

Ban guns, people use swords.

Ban swords, people will resort to knives and clubs.

I think they need to go right to the heart of the problem, and ban hands.

*Hand enthusiasts, hand collectors, the Addams family and crocodiles will be exempt.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob26003

• Bill Hill

• bathory

• Atheist God

Top Posters In This Topic

While they are at it..they need to banish cricket bats and golf clubs too..They might be used to hurt someone..

And don't forget about sticks too..gotta get them off of the street..

This is what a nanny state can do for you. Rule every aspect of your life, yet offering nothing in return except a tax bill..

I just wonder how long the Brits can put up with this PC nonsense..or has the liberal state gotten so entrenched that that now is impossible??..

Edited by Pinky Floyd

While they are at it..they need to banish cricket bats and golf clubs too..They might be used to hurt someone..

This is what a nanny state can do for you. Rule every aspect of your life, yet offering nothing in return except a tax bill..

I just wonder how long the Brits can put up with this PC nonsense..or has the liberal state gotten so entrenched that that now is impossible??..

Actually I think a lot of us myself included are getting sick to death of it. If it's not silly stuff like trying to change kids nursery rhymes so they don't offend anyone its silly stuff like trying to have the black jelly baby removed because it is seen as racist It's just a jelly baby folks. Now this as far as I can tell the cheap O blades are blunt and they are kind of rickety, so yes they can still cause harm they are not as dangerous as the real proper blades that are still going to be allowed.

There is a difference between cricket bats, golf clubs etc and katana swords. Swords are specifically designed for one purpose and that is to take lives, it is only logical to assume that some people who own them will find a use for their swords other then collecting them.

There is a difference between cricket bats, golf clubs etc and katana swords. Swords are specifically designed for one purpose and that is to take lives, it is only logical to assume that some people who own them will find a use for their swords other then collecting them.

Guns can be used to kill people. Guns are also used to hunt animals. People also collect them. I say just restrict access to the swords. Like we do guns. No one with a criminal background can buy them.

Guns can be used to kill people. Guns are also used to hunt animals. People also collect them. I say just restrict access to the swords. Like we do guns. No one with a criminal background can buy them.

Most people who own a gun legally use it for hunting... Swords while they can be collected are specifically designed for melee combat against another human being.

I can keep my lightsabre, though, right?

Only on the third Saturday of each month between the hours of 7am and 9pm. No after hour menacing for you :no:.

well, I'm sure a ban will reduce crime because as we all know criminals follow the law..

wait er let me rephase that..forget it..

Out of curiosity.

How much has the murder rate per capita dropped since banning handguns in the UK?

How does the murder rate per capita in the UK compare to that of America?

With Bush all we have gotten is a horrible mess in Iraq...................

NOLA isn't even back on it's feet yet. :hmm:

I would much rather get my taxes back in the form of Education and Social Programs that help Americans. Now that is Liberal.

Rather than see it wasted on Corporate welfare and immoral unnecessary Wars. Now that is Conservative.

See the difference?

You are going to get taxed either way..................

Edited by Bob26003

I have a Samurai Sword and I trust myself when it would be necessary to use it.. ie very extreme circumstances.

Where either I'm attacked or I see someone being attacked by a large gang or something along those lines; even then it I stress it would have to be extreme and well, pretty obvious; life threatening.

I don't need the Government to tell me or the police to turn up hours after an incident to tell me or more likely arrest me. :lol: I guess you only get to use it once. :hmm:

I wish I didn't have to be armed but don't believe the hype.. certain parts of London are far from what I would class as being 'civilized.'

No doubt some would disagree but I'm not a idealist (gave that up years ago, it's bad for your health) I'm just a realist.

And no doubt some people will claim I'm part of the problem... but I never have and never will attack someone in an unprovoked attack.

It's not like I carry it around with me... :lol: We're not that bad yet..give it 10 years

Good point Pinky, I'd say it's impossible.. debate is dead... the thing about PC or liberal idealists- is they're extremely self righteous, they live in a bubble.

According to them.. the problems I see on a day to day basis-just don't exist.

But, yeah it is like a fascist movement... it's crept into every aspect of our lives. <_< The UK is dying....

I am sure this measure will bring about a complete decline in the crime stats. I strongly support the banning of pocket knives next, Lord knows the damage they cause....

Don't forget car keys.

You could poke an eye out with those things.

Sooo.. anyone else notice that the last noticeable rouge ronin attack happened 7 years ago?

Edited by KingTomis

hahah i don't think you should even be mentioning logic when you say garbage like this.

Using your 'logic', museum curators would be the most likely people to go on mace weilding massacres

the real world doesn't work like that

Using your interpretation of AGod's logic, the police would be the most likely to start a massacre. I wonder how many of our resident righteous screechers would be baying for blood aplenty if the government did nothing to restrict supply after a swathe of samurai sword murders. Perhaps their focus would leap at reintroduction of the death penalty, the angry person's afterthought, all too late and smitten with indignation.

Just curious........ Can any of you Right Wingers answer my question?

How much has crime decreased since the UK banned handguns?

And what is the crime rate in the UK less or more than in America?

well, I'm sure a ban will reduce crime because as we all know criminals follow the law..

wait er let me rephase that..forget it..

That's really about it to :blink:

Why? 1. You're off topic and 2. you're fishing to rant... Don't worry, I'm sure Bush has a few charities in the UK that hand out Samurai swords. :rofl:

That is a very good question Bob. I know that gun crime has been on the increase in the UK over the last 8 years or so - initially in London, but increasingly in Manchester and my own fair city of Nottingham. However, this may not be any relevance to the banning of handguns, as this particular crime seems driven by a specific sector of the community, and one that probably wouldn't be ALLOWED to posses a licensed firearm even if we had US-style gun ownership laws. (see Operation Trident , and there is also an interesting recent article on the topic in the Times of London ).

I suspect that intiatives such as banning rifles and samurai swords where knee-jerk reactions by politicians following a specific atypical incident. Automatic rifles where banned in the UK following the Hungerford massacre , and handguns in the UK where banned after the Dunblame massacre for example.

I don't have hard links relating to Samurai swords, but they have been in the headlines over the last couple of years following a couple of gory news stories. (one was about a pschiatric patient attacking people in a church ??? ).

As for comparisons between the USA and the UK, I'm actually struggling to find an authoritative source on this. A popular figure is that the US has roughly four times as many gun-related murders per capita than the UK, but - again - these are blogs, not authoritative sources.

Meow Purr.

That's really about it to :blink:

Why? 1. You're off topic and 2. you're fishing to rant... Don't worry, I'm sure Bush has a few charities in the UK that hand out Samurai swords. :rofl:

Naw, its a valid point.

I bet violent crime has dropped ALOT since banning handguns.

I don't know if I agree with it. But we have a serious handgun problem in the US.

We can't just ignore it.

We already have the highest per capita prison rate in the World

But many would say that is a result of the War on drugs............

Edited by Bob26003

Good point Pinky, I'd say it's impossible.. debate is dead... the thing about PC or liberal idealists- is they're extremely self righteous, they live in a bubble.

According to them.. the problems I see on a day to day basis-just don't exist.

But, yeah it is like a fascist movement... it's crept into every aspect of our lives. <_< The UK is dying....

Banning Swords, what a waste of ****ing time, they've banned guns already but you wouldnt think so, around my way its like the shootout at the OK Coral,

they cant even enforce the Gun laws, what chance have they with Swords.

Britain is turning into a one party communist country, all the three main parties all have the same goal just differ in ways of getting us there, you only have to look at the CCTV, more than any other country, we're sleepwalking into a surveillance society, 5 Million CCTV cameras, and on average people going about their everyday lives are picked up on at least 70 cameras a day, and just look at the ID cards, we're no longer free in the UK, the politicians attitudes of they know whats best for us, but dont even ask, if this country is democratic well i dont think democracy is all its cracked out to be, its says it all when politicians know they'd lose a vote if they asked the people, so they simply dont ask and press on anyway. has Ken Livingston said, If Voting Changed Anything, They'd Abolish It. how ****ing true, shower of sh** the lot of them.

Just an addendum to my previous post Bob.... I doubt that banning handguns in the UK had much impact on crime. You've got to remember that the UK has NEVER allowed gun ownership in the way that you have in the USA. Private individuals could posses handguns legaly, but only under very tight controls. They where NEVER allowed to carry them around (indeed, they had to be stored in specialy designed secure cabinets whillst at home, and could only be transported in a similar cabinet in the owners car boot. Even then, they could only be transported to/from recognised events. (sporting gun events, collecters fairs etc).

If memory serves me, the owner of a handgun wasn't even allowed to posses ammunition - this had to be stored/collected from the nearby police station ? (and even then, only when travelling to a documented/authorised event).

Hence - prior to the ban - gun crime in the UK was almost exclusively the province of criminals using unlicensed, illegal weapons. The exception was shotguns - the laws on these where SLIGHTLY more relaxed, in that farmers and gamekeepers where allowed to keep both gun and ammunition together. There where occasional stories of a deranged farmer shooting his daughters boyfriend etc, but that was about it.

Hence - as I understand it - the ban had no real effect on underlying gun crime.

Meow Purr.