Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teaching of evolution to go under microscope

Mekorig

Or pulling them to your side. Problem is, once they have gained as much power as they did, it'll take a while until they go away. Simply ignoring them may just not cut it.

I doubt they will go away.

They will just become further and further disconnected from reality and Society.

Just look at the home schooling trend.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truethat

• Neognosis

• Bob26003

• tipsy_munchkin

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right , I haven't read the whole thread..........

And just so you know Michelle, I am not an atheist.

But I do recognize that ID and Creationism are not Science.

Hey, maybe I misinterpreted his position, I am only Human. ;)

AHA!!! You have just made one of her points...you can believe in a God and still not believe in creationism.

AHA!!! You have just made one of her points...you can believe in a God and still not believe in creationism.

Of course you can..........

What is so shocking about that?

Hey, if I misinterpreted you truethat, I will be the first to admit it.

I doubt they will go away.

They will just become further and further disconnected from reality and Society.

Just look at the home schooling trend.

Yes it is quite unnerving, no doubt, and being from europe, I'm propably taking it more lightly than you should allow yourselves to, but simply outspoken opposition is unlikely to yield results. The problems also seem to be far deeper rooted than just evolution vs. creationism. The whole education system seems to be lacking, just to name one example.

Yes it is quite unnerving, no doubt, and being from europe, I'm propably taking it more lightly than you should allow yourselves to, but simply outspoken opposition is unlikely to yield results. The problems also seem to be far deeper rooted than just evolution vs. creationism. The whole education system seems to be lacking, just to name one example.

You are absolutely right.

Our Military budget FAR FAR exceeds our Education budget...............

Ahhh see everyone fights me relentlessly and then it all comes down to the same thing.

HOW ITS TAUGHT. You see? That is what is getting lost in this mad shuffle.

Cheers

My hat is off to Bob and Volos...you've brought it full circle.

And TIggs that's 1979. The problem in the modern era is that Atheists like Dawkins who are also Scientists are mixing the two areas. And its confusing the public into believing that the alternative theory to Evolution is Creation.

But Creation IS NOT SCIENCE>

It's a 1979 quote - in a 2007 Creationist Wikipedia wannabe. Built by Creationists, for Creationists.

As I recall - this all kicked off a few years back because Creationists started making legal challenges to have Creationism taught in schools.

All roads lead to Bush. My motto for 2008 is "more trees less bush" LOL

On a serious note, I learned about the creation in Sunday school and the theory of evolution in science class in public school and strongly believe in the seperation of church and state.

And here I thought I went off on a tangent. I have no part in someone elses circle conclusions. What are you doing here anyway?

On a serious note, I learned about the creation in Sunday school and the theory of evolution in science class in public school and strongly believe in the seperation of church and state.

Ditto...and as long as people take these creationist wack jobs seriously they will continue to get into the news.

And here I thought I went off on a tangent. I have no part in someone elses circle conclusions. What are you doing here anyway?

That's what I thought was soo funny! :lol:

You never know where you'll find me. :innocent:

...hmmm, wonder if those that make these decisions actually recognize the Theory of Evolution if it is rubbed under their nose and called " truck".

If I remember correctly, questionmark...you went to school in the states and were taught the Theory of Evolution. Did you actually read the entire thread and understand where truethat was trying to go with it?

If I remember correctly, questionmark...you went to school in the states and were taught the Theory of Evolution. Did you actually read the entire thread and understand where truethat was trying to go with it?

I hope I did, but my comment was not aimed at you... just at the story in the original post.

And yes, creationism was not yet invented when I went to school...

ED: From second grade on I went to an exclusive European boarding school, just to get that straight. Run by Jesuits, but they were to smart to teach legends if they did not call it "religion" or "legend".

Edited by questionmark

i've gone to catholic and public schools, and I gotta say a religion that is created by a human in the first plaec should not be the foundation for learning practical and useful facts about how things really work. Go to school if you want to learn, go to church if you want to pray.

I hope I did, but my comment was not aimed at you... just at the story in the original post.

And yes, creationism was not yet invented when I went to school...

Being an atheist how could I possibly think anything about religion was aimed at me?

It's a sad state of affairs, to make myself understood, I have to keep declairing myself an atheist.

If people won't listen to my opinion unless it is based on the same premise as theirs I have no reason to talk to anyone as close-minded as that.

Mekorig, all science is taught that way in school. Basically it is "dumbed down" for easier digestion. How much do you think a 5th grader would understand if you started going on aout cyclic rings and polyaromatic hydrocarbons? We know dammed well that the pictoral representation of atoms is not accurate but you dont get to questioin it in school do you? We dont teach the 5th graders about quarks, muons etc. We tell them that matter is composed of atoms and leave it at that. We dont tell them about how controversial that theory was in time past. Equally they would be as lost if you started talking about phylogenetic trees and genetic drift and point mutations which are part and parcel of evolution. . It is an unfortunate fact of life that you have to "reducto ad absurdum" some theories in order to get the main point across and unfortunately in so doing you will have to distort the true picture. An example in genetics

everybody is told that there are 4 bases Adenine Guanine Cytosine and Thymine. However, Uracil is often omitted from this mix when it is vitally important. If the students pursue science tey will learn more indepth about the subject but if not at least they will have a very basic grasp of the ideas

I know, when you have kids to teach, you can not go into University level stuff. But in High School the kids have enough level to begin to understand the scientific theories in other light, not just the pre-made standard answer. Show them the scientific procces that get to that theories.Whith the normal teaching method, you get a tiny percentage of people who actually understand the teached things, and a lot of others who can only repeat whiout truly understanding it.

BTW Michelle:

Mekorig is very wise and open-minded.

first time in my life i am called that. :lol:

A common tactic of theirs is to say for instance that "evolution is just a theory"

However, in reality a Scientific theory is completely different from the common usage of the word theory.

Agreed, good point.

I can't believe you made me quote from Conservapedia. I feel sullied and unusual.

:lol:

I just what to know what your real agenda here is true that............

She's up to something... mmmh I can feel in my bones..

Oh but one day she'll slip up...oh yes... :P