Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jamie Lynn Speers

Neognosis

Ok, so this 16 year old chick gets pregnant. That's bad. But it happens. No matter what abstinence you preach, kids will still have sex. No matter how much you educate them on birth controll, someone will screw up. It's bad, but it does happen.

So, this teen star gets knocked up. Now, that's bad, but not as bad as for the average 16 year old girl. I mean, come on. She's mega wealthy and stars probably don't raise their kids themselves the way regular people do anyway.

But i've been listening to various pundits go on about what a rotten role model she is, how disney needs to cancel her show, how she's an example of everything that's wrong with American society, that she's a tramp and irresponsible, etc. etc. and she's making a mockery of American values.

BUT, do you know what she's NOT doing?

She's NOT having an abortion.

Isn't that what we would prefer at this point? What's done is done. People wonder why some women get abortions? Well, this mass "you are a bad person and we judge you to be a whore" attitude certainly doesn't help reduce the number of abortions. Wouldn't it have been easier for her and her agent to duck into some secretive Hollywoood abortion clinic and just be done with it? But she's carrying the child to term.

If the right is so against abortion, why don't they relize that their condemnation and rightious indignation only drives women who've gotten themselves into this situation to the abortion clinic?

It makes no sense to me.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neognosis

• truethat

• ravergirl

• chaosdarksoulz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so this 16 year old chick gets pregnant. That's bad. But it happens. No matter what abstinence you preach, kids will still have sex. No matter how much you educate them on birth controll, someone will screw up. It's bad, but it does happen.

yes, this does happen regularly. but when a 16 yr. old gets pregnant, the parents of the friends of that 16 yr. old DO NOT want their kids to be friends with her anymore. that's not the kind of example you want your kids being around.

So, this teen star gets knocked up. Now, that's bad, but not as bad as for the average 16 year old girl. I mean, come on. She's mega wealthy and stars probably don't raise their kids themselves the way regular people do anyway.

surely you're not saying it is OK that a 16 yr. old is pregnant, simply because she is rich

But i've been listening to various pundits go on about what a rotten role model she is, how disney needs to cancel her show, how she's an example of everything that's wrong with American society, that she's a tramp and irresponsible, etc. etc. and she's making a mockery of American values.

i believe ALL of this to be true

BUT, do you know what she's NOT doing?

She's NOT having an abortion.

Isn't that what we would prefer at this point? What's done is done. People wonder why some women get abortions? Well, this mass "you are a bad person and we judge you to be a whore" attitude certainly doesn't help reduce the number of abortions. Wouldn't it have been easier for her and her agent to duck into some secretive Hollywoood abortion clinic and just be done with it? But she's carrying the child to term.

If the right is so against abortion, why don't they relize that their condemnation and rightious indignation only drives women who've gotten themselves into this situation to the abortion clinic?

things are different when you're a "STAR". i don't necessarily agree with it,but that's how it is. movie stars, pro athletes, musicians, ect. are put on a pedastal. they are role models wheather they want to be or not. everything they do is magnified tremendously. i bet her show will be cancelled. think about the message it would send to the millions of little girls that idolize her if it isn't.

It makes no sense to me.

Edited by klc9100

Let's just hope she's a better mother than her sister.

a turtle flipped on its back would be a better mother than Britney

yes, this does happen regularly. but when a 16 yr. old gets pregnant, the parents of the friends of that 16 yr. old DO NOT want their kids to be friends with her anymore. that's not the kind of example you want your kids being around.

I would want to teach my daughter to not judge people for their mistakes and to help people deal with those mistakes, rather then teaching them to judge and shun people when they need help the most.

surely you're not saying it is OK that a 16 yr. old is pregnant, simply because she is rich

Of course not. I am saying, however, that her staff will probably raise the kid anyway, and probably would even if she were 25. It's an inconsequential point and I should not have brought it into the debate.

i believe ALL of this to be true

Ok, but do you also believe she is behaving more responsibly by not having an abortion? And do you believe that mass condemnation is going to help things? If your 16 year old kid gets pregnant, do you think that the mass shaming is going to make it easier or harder for her to not have an abortion?

things are different when you're a "STAR". i don't necessarily agree with it,but that's how it is. movie stars, pro athletes, musicians, ect. are put on a pedastal. they are role models wheather they want to be or not. everything they do is magnified tremendously. i bet her show will be cancelled. think about the message it would send to the millions of little girls that idolize her if it isn't.

Wouldn't you prefer that the message that gets sent is "Jamie Lynn messed up. But she's owning up to her mistake. It will be very hard, but she is taking responsibility and not having an abortion. She is doing the right thing, even though she made a mistake"

Or are you happier with the message "Jamie lynn is a whore and should be ashamed and shunned and it would be better if she tried to hide it or had an abortion to avoid all the name calling and judgement?"

Edited by Neognosis

people get pregnant everyday, 16 year olds by the hundreds get pregnant everyday, its a fact of life. Why are there no pundits complaining about that?

It comes as no great shock, look who she as a sister and a role model to look up to. M aybe shes going to shave her head next and say it's because she felt left out...

I don't think she should be on the Disney show anymore. I don't let my 7 year old watch Disney to see a teenager knocked up. I have no problem with her doing other TV, just not Disney. I think idiocy must run in the Spears clan.

It comes as no great shock, look who she as a sister and a role model to look up to. M aybe shes going to shave her head next and say it's because she felt left out...

I think that if she were modeling her behavior after her sisters, she probably woudl have had an abortion. Brittaney isn't exactly a model of responsibility, and JL seems to be taking responsibility.

Some 16 year old kids have sex. No ammount of anything is going to change that. The best you can do is encourage them to wait, educate them on what to do if the don't wait, and hope that they don't mess up. If they do, you have to make the best of it and life goes on.

Maybe she should have been responsible enough in the first place to protect herself not just from getting pregnant, but from STDs. But, that is the least of her worries right now, as the police are trying to determine whether her boyfriend will be tried for stat. rape. He is 18 and she is 16. And if they don;t look into this, a lot of people will cry out that they are getting special treatment because she is a star. IMO, it is not that she got pregnant, it was the lack of safe sex that is what I look at. I am not naive or close minded, I am sure my daughter will be wanting to have sex in her teens, I can't lock her up in her room (as much as I'd like to :huh: ) but, I want her to know about SAFE sex, the last thing I want is my daughter to be diagnosed with HIV or Hep C just because some 'role model' didn't use it to protect herself.

I don't think she should be on the Disney show anymore. I don't let my 7 year old watch Disney to see a teenager knocked up. I have no problem with her doing other TV, just not Disney. I think idiocy must run in the Spears clan.

Well, I can't varify this, but my sister said she was watching the news yesterday and it said that JL was living with her boyfriend for the past two years, on and off again. What I'd like to know is what the hell kind of mother do JL and Brittany have? This woman is quite the mother. I don't know who is worse, her or Lohan's mother.

Brittney did not have an abortion so that has nothing to do with her looking up to her big sister. No she should be replaced on her tv show I dont think its good for little girls to see (a kid herself ) Jamie sporting around a big belly.... kind of sends out a message that its ok to be a kid and having a baby.

Good post, bebe.

But there's nothing that can be done about the past. What's to be done now? More condemnation of JLS? If you want to eliminate abortion, like I do, don't you think that the condemnation should quiet down? Isn't stigmatizing a pregnant teen going to push other teens into thinking more seriously about having an abortion to avoid all that if they make the same mistake?

I'd like to know is what the hell kind of mother do JL and Brittany have?

Well, at the very least they have a respect for life and they didn't run out and abort their babies. That's something, at least.

Edited by Neognosis

Brittney did not have an abortion so that has nothing to do with her looking up to her big sister.

But she does run around hopped up on dope, partying constantly and generally being a poor mother, IMHO.

It seems like JL is, at the very least, taking more responsibility for her actions.

If your 16 year old kid gets pregnant, do you think that the mass shaming is going to make it easier or harder for her to not have an abortion?

What is the age of consent in America? Is it 16 like it is here in the UK?

What is the age of consent in America? Is it 16 like it is here in the UK?

it varries state to state.

In some states, you can get married at 16 or even lower with parental permission.

Yeah,I also hear that their mother was writing a book on parenting,which will not be published.it's been postponed indefinetly.

Neither I nor my sister have any kids. My sister and her boyfriend will eventually get married some day,but they both work in television and are busy career people,so they don't want any right now,but it will be some day in the future.

I'm an old maid with a couple of cats and single.I think a child needs both a mom and a dad. Plus,I'm almost 52.

We didn't get pregnant at 16 because our parents discussed the issue of sex,momma certainly did,plus

we had as role models my dad's aunts. Three never got married or had kids, Eva was a nun,and Helen and Anna I'm not sure why. The other three got married,but later in life.Great Aunt Jo was 40 when she married,not sure how old,Barbara,and Ida were at the time of their marriages. But these three also never had kids. Maybe they didn't want to be like their mother,who was an stubborn woman with an iron will. Plus they all worked and maybe felt they might not be able to devote their time to kids.

We girls were taught to try to be self sufficent and if we got married,find a good man.Someone who we could depend on to help look after the kids,especially if you got sick or something. My dad was not squeamish about feeding babies or changing diapers.heck he could,clean,iron cook fix the car and repair things around the house.

You wonder what their mother is like. Don't think their mom sets a very good example for them.

Plus,where is their father in all this? Why doesn't he intervene,especially were the grandkids are concerned.

Three never got married or had kids, Eva was a nun,and Helen and Anna I'm not sure why

I have a suspicion.

That's all great and all, but back to my original question....

Is the mass condemnation going to make a pregnant teen more or less likely to seek an abortion?

it varries state to state.

In some states, you can get married at 16 or even lower with parental permission.

Well what is the rule in the State this Spears chick lives in?

I would want to teach my daughter to not judge people for their mistakes and to help people deal with those mistakes, rather then teaching them to judge and shun people when they need help the most.

i understand what you're saying, believe me, i understand. i just know how society is. when you're young & a friend gets into any kind of serious trouble, it's a natural response that your parents don't want you to associate with that individual anymore. i had trouble-maker friends growing-up & wasn't allowed to continue to be their friend. i got into some pretty bad trouble one time (made a mistake) and lost friends over it (because of the way their parents viewed me afterwards).

Of course not. I am saying, however, that her staff will probably raise the kid anyway, and probably would even if she were 25. It's an inconsequential point and I should not have brought it into the debate.

i'm sure you're right about that, but don't think it should matter.

Ok, but do you also believe she is behaving more responsibly by not having an abortion? And do you believe that mass condemnation is going to help things? If your 16 year old kid gets pregnant, do you think that the mass shaming is going to make it easier or harder for her to not have an abortion?

i'm glad she isn't having an abortion. yes, that it the right decision (i believe). if my 16 yr. old got pregnant, there wouldn't be a mass shaming because she isn't a "super star". that's my point. her sister doesn't have any problems that millions of other young adults don't have also. the reason the majority of the world thinks she is crazy is because she is a "super star" and everything she does is put in the news. that is the same lesson that jamie is fixing to learn the hard way, unfortunately.

Wouldn't you prefer that the message that gets sent is "Jamie Lynn messed up. But she's owning up to her mistake. It will be very hard, but she is taking responsibility and not having an abortion. She is doing the right thing, even though she made a mistake"

Or are you happier with the message "Jamie lynn is a whore and should be ashamed and shunned and it would be better if she tried to hide it or had an abortion to avoid all the name calling and judgement?"

again, i understand. however, the only reason we're even talking about it is because it's in the news. the only reason it's even in the news is because of who she is. if it were my daughter or your daughter, nobody would care. the only ones effected would me you or i, our immediate family & close friends. NOT possibly millions of teen & preteen girls.

Edited by klc9100

Well, I can't varify this, but my sister said she was watching the news yesterday and it said that JL was living with her boyfriend for the past two years, on and off again. What I'd like to know is what the hell kind of mother do JL and Brittany have? This woman is quite the mother. I don't know who is worse, her or Lohan's mother.

You have to be kidding me. And the mother was supposed to release a parenting book. :no: Guess that will not happen.

however, the only reason we're even talking about it is because it's in the news. the only reason it's even in the news is because of who she is. if it were my daughter or your daughter, nobody would care.

I hope that is true. I have a feeling, though, that certain people in my neighborhood would treat a pregnant 16 year old like a pariah. I hope I'm wrong.

people get pregnant everyday, 16 year olds by the hundreds get pregnant everyday, its a fact of life. Why are there no pundits complaining about that?

there probably are pundits that have something to say about it in their communities, however, since they aren't super star millionaires, it doesn't get reported in the national media.

Nope no book for mom. Yea it was said she lived with the boyfriend her mother should be told about herself (not a good mother) I have had a few girlfriends who had babys in high school from the age 15 and up are they bad...no were some of them bad because they chose to have an abortion...no. We are all still friends to this day. If Jamie did have an abortion that would be her choice I dont think she is bad eaither way just stupid. Like some one else said she's not going to raise this child thats what nanny's are for. Well in Hollywood anyway.

I wouldn't think she was "bad" for having an abortion either...but I would rather that nobody ever had an abortion and people took responsibility for their actions.

She's at least doing that much, and she should receive some credit for that.