Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egyptus, The Founder Of Egypt.

Codebreaker

3 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

What a well thought out response. Almost as if Jayle has a point....

Those are fighting words, sir!

I have never made a salient point about anything. Heck, most days I’m just random words people assume make sense. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

So then he was a screw up. :yes:

No... it's pretty standard, after a recruitment process, for the successful candidate to go through a probation period.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Egyptus isn’t even a Hebrew name, it’s Greco-Roman.

Egyptus is medieval latin.

I believe @jaylemurph is extremely well versed in philology. He should be able to confirm this. 

Aegyptus is a diffrent story. 

• Like 2

The OP quote is from the Book of Abraham.

I know of no evidence that its author, Joseph Smith, was any better informed than any of his contemporaries about how the pyramids of Egypt came to be constructed.

At the very time that the Book of Abraham was being written, Howard Vyse was in the process of exploring the pyramids of Giza and preparing his notes for publication. 

I suggest that authorities such as Lehner and Edwards are much better sources for information about the construction of pyramids in Egypt.  (See also Mumford's Resource Guide).  On the name Aegyptus, Wiki has some basic information.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mestarchy said:

...the first earth was in my mind...

Well, you got this part right anyway.

Harte

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Windowpane said:

I know of no evidence that its author, Joseph Smith, was any better informed than any of his contemporaries about how the pyramids of Egypt came to be constructed.

He was less informed. Look at his translations of hieroglyphics. 

He was a racist con man making it up as he went.... 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Well ...  He's described as a religious fanatic.  Possibly he succeeded in persuading himself that what he was disseminating was actually true.

23 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Even better he was a complete moron because he could also see the future and KNEW it was going to happen....lol

What is it that Einstein said about repeating the same actions and expecting different results?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Joseph Smith might have been a little too  busy procreating to take time out to study.  

I guess it should give the religious leader/ prophet wannabes out there  hope that he and L Ron Hubbard could still make up religions that attract millions of followers and make their inventors billionaires.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Joseph Smith might have been a little too  busy procreating to take time out to study.  

I guess it should give the religious leader/ prophet wannabes out there  hope that he and L Ron Hubbard could still make up religions that attract millions of followers and make their inventors billionaires.

@jaylemurph

Harte

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah, people who found false religions are bad. 

But /some/ of us can’t help it that we are approached and asked to take up their Holy and Drooly work. But at least I only ask the low, low price of $19.95 per salvation, and that’s just to cover printing costs. 

—Jaylemurph  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

But /some/ of us can’t help it that we are approached and asked to take up their Holy and Drooly work. But at least I only ask the low, low price of $19.95 per salvation, and that’s just to cover printing costs. 

—Jaylemurph  

Present company accepted.  I know you are on a mission to help the world and not make billions of dollars for yourself.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 8:24 PM, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph  

Shouldn't that be salivation?  If so I'm in!

MDagger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3