Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theories stir on star of Bethlehem

UM-Bot

user posted image rIt's long been a puzzle for Christian astronomers, and now a professor from the University of Notre Dame thinks he has it figured out - almost, anyway. His quest: discovering just what "the star in the East" was that led wise men to travel to Bethlehem 2,000 years ago.

As a theoretical astrophysicist, Grant Mathews had hoped the answer would be spectacular - something like a supernova. But two years of research have led him to a more ordinary conclusion.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Syndney Morning Herald

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jesspy

• tekno_mistress

• UM-Bot

• K.J.

the answer is simple...

It was a UFO...

the three wise men were in ancient world they don't even know what a car or plane is...

they only saw something look like a star...

The star was explained by astronomers as the current Northern star of that age. Now its Prxima Centauri or something. Back then it was a different star. A bright star.

it was a spotlight or a helicopter

2000 years ago..huh...it was a ufo i saw the same star easter 2000....

2000 years ago..huh...it was a ufo i saw the same star easter 2000....

i was joking and whats with the ufo theory its rared its head gain

• 3 weeks later...

back in 1994 or 1995, my 3 cousins and myself were outside on Christmas Eve around 2-3am, Central time, and had seen this enormous bright star...or what we believed to be a star. In fact, we were convinced that is exactly what it was. It had four prominent points...with smaller ones surrounding. We tried to get our parents outside to check it out but they thought we were being silly and they were busy playing poker. I do wish an adult confirmed this site, but to this day, my cousins still remember that night, as do I.

Just wondering what anyone thinks of that.

That Star is Sirius is it not?

The Stars of Orion's belt lines up with Sirius during the winter solstice.

They point towards the point in the horizon where the Sun rises and days start to get longer.

Alot of ancient religions personify this astrological event... the current being Christianity.