Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Too Late: Global Warming Out of Control

IronGhost

Good question Raptor.

But... was it aimed at Ceasar... or the scientist quoted in the OPA ? 'Cos it seems like it describes him to a 't'.

Meow Purr.

It was aimed at Caesar but you're right, it fits him aswell. That's the problem though, almost every single thing you read about global warming is written by someone who doesn't have a clue. It's fine to have an opinion on a subject; everyone does, but don't pretend it's an educated one.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• ships-cat

• Moon Monkey

• el midgetron

It was aimed at Caesar but you're right, it fits him aswell. That's the problem though, almost every single thing you read about global warming is written by someone who doesn't have a clue. It's fine to have an opinion on a subject; everyone does, but don't pretend it's an educated one.

Well, I'm educated. And I have opinions.

Occasionaly the two co-incide :P

Meow Purr.

ah the global warming extremist cult is at it again. stomping their feet as usual, demanding the destruction of the US economy... how soon before there are anti-global warming hits occuring? this could get voilent. i say we take them out before they cause too much harm. our economy is at stake.

Edited by mudpit

Never heard of the guy and did a little research; found this little tidbit:

Writing in the British newspaper The Independent in January 2006, Lovelock argues that, as a result of global warming, "billions of us will die and the few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in the Arctic where the climate remains tolerable" by the end of the 21st century[20].

He claims that by the end of the century, the average temperature in temperate regions will increase by as much as 8°C and by up to 5°C in the tropics, leaving much of the world's land uninhabitable and unsuitable for farming, with polar cities needed. He suggests that "we have to keep in mind the awesome pace of change and realise how little time is left to act, and then each community and nation must find the best use of the resources they have to sustain civilisation for as long as they can"[20].

He partially retreated from this position in a September 2007 address to the World Nuclear Association's Annual Symposium, suggesting that climate change would stabilise and prove survivable, and that the Earth itself is in "no danger" because it would stabilise in a new state. Life, however, might be forced to migrate en masse to remain in habitable climes[21].

In September 2007, Lovelock and Chris Rapley proposed the construction of ocean pipes "100 to 200 metres long, 10 metres in diameter and with a one-way flap valve at the lower end for pumping by wave movement" to pump water up from below the thermocline to "fertilize algae in the surface waters and encourage them to bloom"[22].

Mad scientist link

Global Warming is Global nonsense! its funny how the left make fun of peoples religions yet they expect us to follow this myth! 95% chance that its man-made, lol this is just to funny!

Oh, I was "making fun" of someone's religion??? Maybe you should go back and read Iamson's wise-ass comments about "hyper-spatial highways" and "galactic federations."

If you dish out the wise-ass comments, you should be able to take a few of your own.

Also, I think it's "funny" how the majority of people who deny global warming based on science tend to be evengelical right-wing Christians who believe in "evil beings" like Satan and demons, and that the world will end in an Apocalypse, and that Jesus will fight a raging battle with Satan, after which there will be a 1,000 years of peace, and so on.

If you want "funny" and "nutty" beliefs, look no further than the Christian right. They think it's okay to do anything we want to the planet because God made a covenant with mankind to never wreck the earth again after drowning the whole planet in a big flood.

It's also funny how Mr. Lovelock no longer seems to be a scientist after a decades long, distringuished career, including working with NASA to develop intricate sensing devices for probes that went to Mars, being a much relied upon expert in understanding the atmosphere of earth and other planets, etc.

It's amazing how NASA gives out paychecks to "nutty" fringe scientists who helped develop some of the most important technologies of the century.

Here's a "nutty" idea -- Dr. Lovelock is a hapless tool of the liberal left which is hellbent on destroying the world economy with a myth about global warming, and the liberal left has somehow duped about 30,000 top climate scientists into accepting this clever myth -- and the liberal left has even tricked none other than NASA into taking up the position that global warming is man made -----

----- those are some nutty ideas.

Humanity is a tought critter. Only mega-events like a huge asteroid wiping all life bigger than a rat could kill us all.

Humanity is a tought critter. Only mega-events like a huge asteroid wiping all life bigger than a rat could kill us all.

Thats exactly right, there's alot of natural disasters that could kill alot of us, but a few will keep living and recreate the human race, it probably happened with the Lake Toba Caldera eruption. It would take a gigantic meteorite, or a very close Gamma Ray Burst or Supernova to seriously wipe us all out.

Urge your local nation leader to ratify the Tokyo Protocol before it's too late. We're suffering here in the Southern Hemisphere. Some of you don't feel it, but I swear that in Indonesia, the rain season is just mad! Floods, landslide and high tide is everywhere. Please! Before it's too late!

If global warming is caused by man, then why are other planets like Mars warming too? Just wondering

If global warming is caused by man, then why are other planets like Mars warming too? Just wondering

This is extremely easy to understand, and the fact that Mars may or may not be warming -- the jury is still out on that -- does not mean that man is not contributing to global warming on earth.

Some NASA climate scientists that recent changes in the sun's out put may be contributing up to 1/3 of the current warming on earth -- thus the same sun energy is warming Mars.

But now lets say we put a few billion people on Mars. Let's say we build about 10,000 coal burning power plants on Mars. Let's put about 5 billion carbon-spewing automobiles on Mars. Let's set up a bunch of industrial factories on Mars. Let's start an ag economy based on raising millions ot methan-farting cows on Mars -- all of that would be adding to the warming trend on Mars on top of what the sun is doing.

So, do you think that Mars would warm faster if it had massive biological processes added to the mix? Or better yet, ask this: Do you think adding all this to Mars would have no effect?

That's what many here are saying about all the human activity on earth. It's all having no effect -- no human contribution to global warming. Wow.

Apples and Oranges.

That is false logic.

Edited by Bob26003

Well, I'm educated. And I have opinions.

Occasionaly the two co-incide :P

Meow Purr.

Then my post wasn't directed at you. :tu:

Coincidence?

The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet’s temperature.

Source

Temperatures on Mars have increased slightly over a 20-year period due to the action of Martian winds, scientists have found.

New research has shown that dusty tornadoes called dust devils and gusty winds have helped the surface of Mars become darker, allowing it to absorb more of the sun's rays.

Source

Apples and Oranges.

That is false logic.

Not entirely Bob. You see, Mars and Earth DO have one thing in common. (well, two.. if you count Edgar Rice Burroughs). BOTH are under threat by the rise of Islamic Nationalistic Fundamentalism, backed by the uncontrolled WAVES of mass immigration, all subordinated to the control of the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX which is in alliance with George Bush to overthrow the.... No.. wait.. thatcan'tpossiblyberight.... shuffles his prompt cards... AHA..

Its the Sun. (A British mass-appeal newspaper tabloid that supports the rise of Islamic Nationalistic Fundamentalistm, backed by the unctrolled... WTF ???? ChemicalLicker... will you STOP tampering with my prompt cards ? )

<Stomps off through the exit door, leaving a pile of crumpled prompt cards. >

Meow Purr :D

If you put an apple and an orange in an oven and turn it on high for an hour while they heat up, they prove to be so different that the heat of the oven cannot effect them in the same way. Thats why people don't bake oranges.

If you put an apple and an orange in an oven and turn it on high for an hour while they heat up, they prove to be so different that the heat of the oven cannot effect them in the same way. Thats why people don't bake oranges.

Their epidermis may have different chemical characteristics.... but leave them for an hour or so, and jab a thermometer into the top 2mm or so (equivelant to the earths Biosphere).. and I assure you they will be similar temperatures. And they will most CERTAINLY have absorbed the same amount of energy from the oven.

Meow Purr.

Their epidermis may have different chemical characteristics.... but leave them for an hour or so, and jab a thermometer into the top 2mm or so (equivelant to the earths Biosphere).. and I assure you they will be similar temperatures. And they will most CERTAINLY have absorbed the same amount of energy from the oven.

Meow Purr.

Yes that may be true...but would they both taste good with cinnamon and butter?

AHA! gotcha!

I think my rock solid science speaks for itself...

...no, wait...what?

Meow Purr.

Sorry Ships, maybe I should have included a smiley in my post to emphasise the sacrasm of my statement. Something like this maybe - :lol: or :rolleyes: .

I didn't think anyone would question the ability of an oven on high for an hour to heat up an orange.

http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/oransli2.htm

:rofl:

Meow Purr.

That's true for an oven, but in the near-vacuum of space heat is only transferred via radiation, the amount of energy absorbed by a body is dependent on it's albedo; which is what's causing the heating of Mars.

Yes that may be true...but would they both taste good with cinnamon and butter?

AHA! gotcha!

I think my rock solid science speaks for itself...

...no, wait...what?

To HELL with the Science 'Fluffy... you have cut to the essence of the argument. Apple Pie with extra Cinnamon and Butter for THIS cat... if you don't mind.

Oh... don't LIKE this argument ?

Excellent.. can I have your slice of apple pie ? :D

Meow Purr :P

Global Warming is Global nonsense! its funny how the left make fun of peoples religions yet they expect us to follow this myth! 95% chance that its man-made, lol this is just to funny!
global warming IS a religion

ppl are getting goofy now-a-days with scientology, extremist global-warming cults, ecoterrorists, gay fetishists, pro-baby-slaughterers..... ect

i dont want my kids exposed to this crap

Edited by mudpit

ppl are getting goofy now-a-days with scientology, extremist global-warming cults, ecoterrorists, gay fetishists, pro-baby-slaughterers..... ect

You are right. We have enough of that crap in older references! :lol:

Well, I disagree with Ceaser (and MANY others) mudpit. Global warming... so far as I can tell... seems to be a reality.

There is CONSIDERABLE debate as to wether it is man-made or not. However, it seems that it IS happening.

Expose your kids to it by all means, because they are going to have to live with it. But then... they are going to have to live with all sorts of bad things.

And all sorts of good things. (Gawd... I wish I could be young again... )

Tell 'em about it mudpit... kids tend to make their own minds up anyway :unsure2:

Meow Purr.

Well, then, I hope you're home schooling them.

I wondering, how did organizations like NASA get duped into adopting this "religion"?

(Waits for standard reply that it's "profit motive" for scientists to get research grants ....

.... and then waits for denial that ExxonMobile has profit motive in squelching global warming even though it stands to cost them billions...)

:tu::lol:

I agree, those darn gay fetishists: Running around in their assless chaps smokin on that silly weed. Wait I think I see one, quick, get the gas! :lol:

Don't you know them boys should be at the farm tendin them sheep. mmmmmmhmmmmm

Now my Daughter even wants to vote. What kinda crazy world you reckin we a livin in thar mudpit? :lol:

Why just the otha day, I went down to da piggly wiggly fo some of that thar hickry bacon, and Lord Jesus! I saw one nem antiWar hippies, Why one of em eben had a flower in her hair

So I went straight home and called my good ole Republican Senatah

So I says "Senatah, round up the boys, we got a bit of pickle"

Edited by Bob26003