Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Too Late: Global Warming Out of Control

IronGhost

Well, hope he's wrong anyway.

I hope he's right! I wont have to listen to any of this BS when I'm dead! :lol:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• ships-cat

• Moon Monkey

• el midgetron

As if governments need that to increase taxation.

......and yet they do.

Those week ahead weather reports are getting more and more accurate.

As will the climate models but at the moment they aren't.

......and yet they do.

Do you mean they do need it or they are doing it?

As will the climate models but at the moment they aren't.

What expectation of accuracy do you have? No model will ever be perfectly accurate for there will always be more to learn about Earth. What we need to be most concerned about is what is actually happening. We don't need models for that and we cannot afford to pretend that it's just a planetary mini-cycle that will blow over like a winter gale.

Lovelock is basically out in left field on this - his belief in this matter doesn't reflect anything like the scientific consensus concerning global warming. That said, I do like some of his solutions, like (finally) switching to greater use of nuclear power.

Do you mean they do need it or they are doing it?

What expectation of accuracy do you have? No model will ever be perfectly accurate for there will always be more to learn about Earth. What we need to be most concerned about is what is actually happening. We don't need models for that and we cannot afford to pretend that it's just a planetary mini-cycle that will blow over like a winter gale.

I mean they are doing it, and it is Average Joe who is hit hardest.

If reports blaming an unspecified ammount of the warming trend on man are based on models then the variables left out, limitations and inaccuracies of these models should be plastered over the headlines like cigarette warnings.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I believe we might as well cut emmissions as much as possible as it is better to be safe than sorry, but it has to be a global thing. Why should I have to pay 'green taxes' on my 2 short haul flights a year and $12 a gallon of petrol while the chinese are swallowing up all cuts in the west and much, much more every year. Why handicap ourselves based on uncertain evidence when it makes somewhere between little and no difference on a global scale ?

It's a cover up I say, the Reptilian Illuminati are warming up the planet so it is more suitable for them!

Does that fit your reasoning better?

you are a troll not an ogre i was right...

you are a troll not an ogre i was right...

Please, some of you CTists believe the most outrageous things then reject the things that are actually happening, whether you believe we caused them or not.

But if you did some research you'd KNOW reptiles like warm places so that PROVES that they are warming the planet up.

Hmmm... perhaps the lizards are sufficiently warm Cradle'... cos here's some breaking news.

MoonMonkey... you know you where pointing out the fallability of some of the climate models ? Well... they've fall'ed again :P

It now transpires - according to an article posted by Sarauman , that the earth - overall - has NOT heated up since 2001.

Yup - you heard that right. No overall heating in the last 6 years. Now... zero heating over the course of 1 year is insignificant. But six years in a row ?

Curiously, the IPCC - you know, all those expert politicians scientists - neglected to mention this little tidbit in their report last year. What THEY said was "more heating... end of the world... must tax people reduce emmissions more....

Whoda thunk it ?

Meow Purr.

I know the earth isnt heating up...this global warming is a religion. people just believe it's heating up to have something to bring fear into there lives...

I know the earth isnt heating up...this global warming is a religion. people just believe it's heating up to have something to bring fear into there lives...

and its the media that brought that fear

Look if global warming does exist what are we going to do. Im all for 4 minute showers switching stufff off using public transport etc etc but they are temporary solutions for a long term problem.

and its the media that brought that fear

Look if global warming does exist what are we going to do. Im all for 4 minute showers switching stufff off using public transport etc etc but they are temporary solutions for a long term problem.

I dunno Jesspy... they could be long term solutions as well. I'm skeptical of elements of this "global warming" issue, but I've got no problem with the idea of reducing our energy useage. At least untill we've found a practical replacement for oil. (Nuclear power may be PART of it, but that only relates to electricity useage in homes/factories/etc).

Meow Purr.

Always remember what they say about statistics ;)

I can prove the world is warming, cooling or not changing, depending on how I chose to represent data. Climatically speaking we usually use a 30 year period to smooth out the inevitable ups and downs of natural variability but even this may not always be long enough.

Temps have been rising steadily for 150 years - yet within that time period there were spells of decades or more when it fell. Then again, temps have been falling for the past few million years and currently show no sign of recovery to Miocene levels ;)

We can say that over recent years global temps have not been rising as they previously had; we cannot yet say that they are falling, nor that they will not resume rising in future. Personally I expect to see them fall ..... before resuming a rise later this century. But that's speaking with my climate hat on ;) Climate is the sum of all weather over a long time.

It's a cover up I say, the Reptilian Illuminati are warming up the planet so it is more suitable for them!

Does that fit your reasoning better?

I can't help but wonder who was the first person to ever think of that quip. Whoever it was should have copyrighted it becuase there has been a non-stop line of Einsteins reinventing that wheel.

I can't help but wonder who was the first person to ever think of that quip. Whoever it was should have copyrighted it becuase there has been a non-stop line of Einsteins reinventing that wheel.

I should have known that you draw a line with the crazy stuff you believe on one side and the crazy stuff you dont on the other.

I dunno Jesspy... they could be long term solutions as well. I'm skeptical of elements of this "global warming" issue, but I've got no problem with the idea of reducing our energy useage. At least untill we've found a practical replacement for oil. (Nuclear power may be PART of it, but that only relates to electricity useage in homes/factories/etc).

Meow Purr.

Nuclear power could very well be the solution, if greenhouse gases are causing global warming.

Bring on fusion power. :yes:(Although, by the time fusion reactors are possible it may be too late...)

Until Fusion, we have Thorium - most existing nuclear reactors can be easily adapted to use it. Thorium is more plentiful than uranium. And less dangerous.

But thorium isn't so much use for producing weapon's grade plutonium.

I wonder why we don't use it?

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf62.html

looks like im safe then ;)

If you don't consider the possibility that governments would bias research to highlight and enhance mans part in the warming of the planet for taxation purposes then you are very gullible.

oh my, another conspiracy theory yet again :-*

If you don't consider the possibility that global warming may be real, in which case proactive action is required, then you are very gullible.

Well, believe it or not, but the first effect of the global warming is here already, and you can feel it, especially if you're living in Southern Hemisphere. We have to deal with extreme weather, floods, landslides, crushing high tides and tropical storm which just amazingly escalates lately. You don't believe because you don't feel it. Someday when it hits you, you'll remember my word and wish that you're listening.

Last night, parts of my city was flooded, very rarely happens because my city lies on the foot of a mountain.

oh my, another conspiracy theory yet again :-*

If you don't consider the possibility that global warming may be real, in which case proactive action is required, then you are very gullible.

I can only assume you haven't read my other post where I said it is better to be safe than sorry but this doesn't take away the FACT that the IPCC report on which western governments are basing policy is flawed.

Hmmm... perhaps the lizards are sufficiently warm Cradle'... cos here's some breaking news.

MoonMonkey... you know you where pointing out the fallability of some of the climate models ? Well... they've fall'ed again :P

It now transpires - according to an article posted by Sarauman , that the earth - overall - has NOT heated up since 2001.

Yup - you heard that right. No overall heating in the last 6 years. Now... zero heating over the course of 1 year is insignificant. But six years in a row ?

Curiously, the IPCC - you know, all those expert politicians scientists - neglected to mention this little tidbit in their report last year. What THEY said was "more heating... end of the world... must tax people reduce emmissions more....

Whoda thunk it ?

Meow Purr.

I'm sorry, but the claims made by the article, and it's data are in error. Accroding to the Goddard Institute of Space Studies, 2005 was the warmest year on record. They do allow for the fact that 2005 was a "dead heat" with 1998 for high temps -- except the 1998 temps did not incorporate temperature data from the Arctic. When the total planetary temperature model is given, average temps did not cease to rise in 1998.

Also, according to the Climatic Research Unit, an examination of temperature data since 1998 undermines the assertion that global warming "stopped" in that year. For example, neither mentioned the fact that five different years since 1998 (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005) have seen warmer temperatures than any year preceding 1998, according to Climatic Research Unit figures.

Go look for yerselves: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2005/

Record warmth in 2005 is notable, because global temperature has not received any boost from a tropical El Niño this year. The prior record year, 1998, on the contrary, was lifted 0.2°C above the trend line by the strongest El Niño of the past century.

But the article was a nice try.

I can only assume you haven't read my other post where I said it is better to be safe than sorry but this doesn't take away the FACT that the IPCC report on which western governments are basing policy is flawed.

Errmm have you ever heard of the Kyoto Protocol Global Emissions Trading System? You know not all government policies support a carbon taxing system :unsure2:

Errmm have you ever heard of the Kyoto Protocol Global Emissions Trading System? You know not all government policies support a carbon taxing system :unsure2:

Ermmmm, ok, I can only assume you haven't read my other post where I said it is better to be safe than sorry but this doesn't take away the FACT that the IPCC report on which some western governments are basing policy is flawed.

...and ?

Edited by Moon Monkey

Ermmmm, ok, I can only assume you haven't read my other post where I said it is better to be safe than sorry but this doesn't take away the FACT that the IPCC report on which some western governments are basing policy is flawed.

...and ?

and these governments must be very silly then to waste all these resources on meeting greenhouse targets don't you think. clearly you must know better than them :rolleyes: