Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Menger Hotel in San Antonio, TX

Tonedog45

I am heading out to San Antonio probably in Late January or early February. I want to stay at the Menger Hotel and hope to catch a glimpse of the ghosts lurking the hotel ground. Does anyone in this area been to the Menger Hotel? This hotel is about a block away from the Alamo. Any info would help out since I am new to San Antonio. Here is some info what I retrieved on this hotel.

http://hotels.about.com/od/hauntedhotelsat.../hau_menger.htm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tonedog45

• Stubbly_Dooright

• Lilix_Vixen

• kiddglock

Sorry, I've never been to Texas but would love to hear what happens on your trip! Keep us posted :)

I will definately post my results here in this forum. I was just wondering if there are any early readings from this hotel from any San Antonians.

I use to work at the Menger a few years ago. While I worked there I heard a lot of stories about the ghosts. I only had very minor experiences with "ghosts".

I wish you the best of luck. :tu:

Btw, I don't know if he is still there but you might want to talk to Mr. Malacada. He knows all the stories about the Menger ghosts.

I am heading out to San Antonio probably in Late January or early February. I want to stay at the Menger Hotel and hope to catch a glimpse of the ghosts lurking the hotel ground. Does anyone in this area been to the Menger Hotel? This hotel is about a block away from the Alamo. Any info would help out since I am new to San Antonio. Here is some info what I retrieved on this hotel.

I use to work at the Menger a few years ago. While I worked there I heard a lot of stories about the ghosts. I only had very minor experiences with "ghosts".

I wish you the best of luck. :tu:

Btw, I don't know if he is still there but you might want to talk to Mr. Malacada. He knows all the stories about the Menger ghosts.

Who is Mr. Malacada? With your experience at this place, are the ghosts playful or violent from what you heard? I had to change the dates to March 8, 2008 for my stay at the Menger.

Who is Mr. Malacada? With your experience at this place, are the ghosts playful or violent from what you heard? I had to change the dates to March 8, 2008 for my stay at the Menger.

He was/is P.R. He know the stories inside and out.

Mostly playful and very minor things like when you go into the downstairs bathroom in front of the resturant you can hear someone walk in and go in the next stall (it only has 2 stalls), you can even feel it. As if someone is in there. Or things go missing, like as soon as you put them down.

The thing I remember most is on night I was balancing my bank and getting ready to lock up. BTW I use to work there. I was counting the money in my cash register and and man open the door and asked if we were closed. Of course I said yes we were closed, and he walked out. My register is right next to the door. As I was leaving I went to open the door and it would not open. So I thought it was stuck. My manager looked at me like I was an idiot for not being able open a door. He said "Unlock it!" . I informed him I had NOT locked it yet. But I tried the lock anyway. And it was locked! I was confused. That man had just walked in not 5 minutes ago and now it had somehow locked itself. I can only be locked from either the inside or with a key from the outside. So the door somehow locked itself. It freaked me out. But like I said it was a minor incident.

He was/is P.R. He know the stories inside and out.

Mostly playful and very minor things like when you go into the downstairs bathroom in front of the resturant you can hear someone walk in and go in the next stall (it only has 2 stalls), you can even feel it. As if someone is in there. Or things go missing, like as soon as you put them down.

The thing I remember most is on night I was balancing my bank and getting ready to lock up. BTW I use to work there. I was counting the money in my cash register and and man open the door and asked if we were closed. Of course I said yes we were closed, and he walked out. My register is right next to the door. As I was leaving I went to open the door and it would not open. So I thought it was stuck. My manager looked at me like I was an idiot for not being able open a door. He said "Unlock it!" . I informed him I had NOT locked it yet. But I tried the lock anyway. And it was locked! I was confused. That man had just walked in not 5 minutes ago and now it had somehow locked itself. I can only be locked from either the inside or with a key from the outside. So the door somehow locked itself. It freaked me out. But like I said it was a minor incident.

That is a weird encounter you experienced. Has there been anyone that has done an investigation or colected EVP for this hotel. I am probaly going to ask a friend if she could lend me her evp detector and other equipment to conduct ghost evidence collections. I might be doing this alone which is why I ask if these spirits are considered hostile. Let me know what you think.

Hey there. I just so happened to have stayed there this past September. My husband is Air Force, and he was chosen from his squadron to go down and attend the 60th anniversary ball there. So, he and myself, were invited to stay there, and then my husband booked us at the Menger hotel. My husband told me it was haunted, and I remember reading about the hauntings in books and websites.

We stayed in a small hotel room on the third floor. I never saw any apparitions, and have pictures that doesn't show anything, but I have a few experiences. When we first arrived at the hotel, we went up the elevator and as we got off the elevator to the third floor, I imediately felt dread and forebodding. It was not until later that we found out that a murdered chambermaid is known to haunt the third floor. Our first night, while my skeptic husband was at the closet, and I was lieing on the bed watching tv, we heard a series of knockings going on down the hallway outside our room. My husband first started looking out the door peephole, when the knocking sounds started getting closer to our room. There was no one there. Then my husband opened up our door, and still there was no one out there. Then the knockings were heard first on our door from the outside, then we heard them on the wall, right next to me and the bed. They seemed to be a series of three knocks at a time. My husband would rationalize it by saying it was probably coming from within the walls and it was the plumbing. I explained it was heard, by both of us, right on the wall next to me. I can tell, that my husband heard what I heard and didn't want to comment on it. I heard it, and we both cannot explain it.

Other than that, I really do not have anything interesting to tell.

Hey there. I just so happened to have stayed there this past September. My husband is Air Force, and he was chosen from his squadron to go down and attend the 60th anniversary ball there. So, he and myself, were invited to stay there, and then my husband booked us at the Menger hotel. My husband told me it was haunted, and I remember reading about the hauntings in books and websites.

We stayed in a small hotel room on the third floor. I never saw any apparitions, and have pictures that doesn't show anything, but I have a few experiences. When we first arrived at the hotel, we went up the elevator and as we got off the elevator to the third floor, I imediately felt dread and forebodding. It was not until later that we found out that a murdered chambermaid is known to haunt the third floor. Our first night, while my skeptic husband was at the closet, and I was lieing on the bed watching tv, we heard a series of knockings going on down the hallway outside our room. My husband first started looking out the door peephole, when the knocking sounds started getting closer to our room. There was no one there. Then my husband opened up our door, and still there was no one out there. Then the knockings were heard first on our door from the outside, then we heard them on the wall, right next to me and the bed. They seemed to be a series of three knocks at a time. My husband would rationalize it by saying it was probably coming from within the walls and it was the plumbing. I explained it was heard, by both of us, right on the wall next to me. I can tell, that my husband heard what I heard and didn't want to comment on it. I heard it, and we both cannot explain it.

That is really scarey! Your husband probably was scared but didn't say anything...lol

That is really scarey! Your husband probably was scared but didn't say anything...lol

I agree,

Your husband was probably in denial. I used to be like that until my experience in the 1960 overpass one night when I decided to venture the area alone.

So what you are saying is that the third floor is more active than the rest of the hotel. What do you think of Jessesgirl, am I correct?

I live about 15 minutes away from San Antonio but I've never heard of this hotel I going to look into it now. If you're going to San Antonio you should check out the haunted railroad tracks too.

I live about 15 minutes away from San Antonio but I've never heard of this hotel I going to look into it now. If you're going to San Antonio you should check out the haunted railroad tracks too.

I did go to the tracks and nothing. I even brought my dog in which he did not react. I did see alot of gangbangers in the area.

So what you are saying is that the third floor is more active than the rest of the hotel. What do you think of Jessesgirl, am I correct?

Well, that is where my experiences are. Plus, this is the floor that is reported that the chamber maid is said to haunt. I have thought that maybe those knockings were her doing her usual rounds with towels. I have read that she is often seen carrying towels.

I have also read that other parts of the hotel have had their apparitions and experiences, my husband and I have just not experienced them.

You're right, and I do think my husband is in denial. I know him well enough when he doesn't want to talk about something he just cannot understand himself. He'll probably talk about sometime down the road.

Well, that is where my experiences are. Plus, this is the floor that is reported that the chamber maid is said to haunt. I have thought that maybe those knockings were her doing her usual rounds with towels. I have read that she is often seen carrying towels.

I have also read that other parts of the hotel have had their apparitions and experiences, my husband and I have just not experienced them.

You're right, and I do think my husband is in denial. I know him well enough when he doesn't want to talk about something he just cannot understand himself. He'll probably talk about sometime down the road.

I am probably going to ask to get a room on this floor. My fellow union members do not know this place is haunted. I might have to spill the beans about this place.

I can't say for sure about the third floor being the most active, but I know there has been quite a few experiences in the Roosevelt bar. I don't think there has been any serious investigation for quite some time. But it has been at least five years since I worked there. I hope you get the experience you want out of the visit to the Menger.

Hey Tonecop. I knew the Crockett was supposedly haunted. I think I walked under the Menger's awning the last time we were in town. heheh

Hey Tonecop. I knew the Crockett was supposedly haunted. I think I walked under the Menger's awning the last time we were in town. heheh

Hey kiddglock,

Where is the Crockett? My union is putting us in the Menger on mar 8 and I heard from another source that it is haunted. I just told one of my union members and he is going to meet with the Union president and ask to stay at another hotel. This person is a Muslim and feels that this might put him against his faith. I should have just waited until we got our rooms instead of now.

I can't say for sure about the third floor being the most active, but I know there has been quite a few experiences in the Roosevelt bar. I don't think there has been any serious investigation for quite some time. But it has been at least five years since I worked there. I hope you get the experience you want out of the visit to the Menger.

Hey Jessesgirl,

I will let you all know the outcome. Have you heard anything about this Crockett hotel?

I most certainly like to hear about your experience there, if you do stay there. Though, I wonder if it varies with each individual, what their experience is.

i have been to t buti have never een to that hotelbuti would also love to hear what happens on yur trip keep us postedplz

?????

I most certainly like to hear about your experience there, if you do stay there. Though, I wonder if it varies with each individual, what their experience is.

I will keep everyone posted. I will be accomplishing two things during my stay at Menger hotel.

I will keep everyone posted. I will be accomplishing two things during my stay at Menger hotel.

That's what I did, while I was there. Despite being there for my husband as an Air Force Wife for the 60th Air Force Anniversery, but he actually helped me ghost hunt. Didn't find anything when we did that, but it's when you don't expect them is when they come knocking! Literally!! ;):P

Good luck and good hunting to you, tonecop! I wish you fun! :tu:

I also recommend the gift shops at the first floor of the hotel, and I also recommend dining at the restaurant there. The food is great, and the staff are gracious! THere was even one waiter gracious on answering ghost questions. I really enjoyed my stay there, and think you will too.