Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Year In Pictures 2007

Ghost Ship

linked-image

Mary McHugh mourns her fiance Sergeant James Regan at the Arlington National Cemetery. Sergeant Regan, an American Special Forces soldier, was killed by an IED explosion in Iraq in February.

Photo: AFP

Source For All Pictures

linked-image

Training

Newly recruited female police officers practice with their rifles before a test on a shooting range in Pol-E Khumri, Afghanistan.

linked-image

Dust Storm

A gigantic cloud of dust, known as a "Haboob" advances on Khartoum, Sudan in April. These seasonal types of monsoons can reach a heights of 3000 feet.

linked-image

China ... three-year-old Yang Yang kisses a beluga whale during a publicity photo call at the Qingdao Polar Ocean World, June 2, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

Norway ... climate activists Lesley Butler and Rob Bell sunbathe on the edge of a frozen fjord in the Arctic town of Longyearbyen, April 25, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

Indonesia ... children play on a railway track in a slum area in Jakarta, January 30, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

South Africa ... artist Tim Patch, who calls himself 'Pricasso', paints a portrait of Olga Braude using his penis at the Sexpo in Johannesburg, September 28, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

Netherlands ... children play near a 2.5m Lego man that was fished out of the sea in the Dutch resort of Zandvoort, August 7, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

Palestinian territories ... a Hamas fighter inside a scanning machine in the customs hall of the Rafah crossing border, between Egypt and the southern Gaza Strip, after they captured it, June 15, 2007 / Reuters photo

linked-image

How do you steer this thing? When Greg Pike takes Booger for a walk in Bisbee, Ariz., Kitty and the Mousies go along for the ride.

....more pictures to come. Stay tuned.....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Ship

• Mademoiselle

• Mad Manfred

• EmpressStarXVII

Most of these pictures...are they intended to be funny? Because honestly I can't stop cackling :D

Especially at those kids on the tracks...and first thing I thought when I saw the kid and the whale was "gosh, that kids mum sure is ugly" :D

And is that Hamas fighter for real? Surely he and the cameraman did it for a larf...?

I love the duststorm one most of all. It's pretty cool.

The other pictures are okay.

linked-image

Kids, don't try this at the zoo: Snorgling a fully grown lion should be left to professionals. Ana Julia Torres rescued the then malnourished Jupiter from a circus six years ago and nursed him back to health at her Villa Lorena animal shelter in Cali, Colombia

linked-image(I would love to have a glowing Cat!!)

Red light, green light: Cloning cats is nothing new, but now the clones come in two colors when exposed to ultraviolet light -- regular mint and new cinnamon. The red glow is caused by a fluorescent protein bred into the kitties by scientists at Gyeongsang National University in Jinju, South Korea. The genetic manipulation could lead to cures for human diseases, they say.

linked-image

Put up your, er, hooves! Just another day in Diyala province, rooting out the insurgents about 90 clicks north of Baghdad

linked-image

An unsupervised childhood: Most Yi ethnic minority children of Dayingpan, Yuexi County, China, fend for themselves during the day because their parents are working in the fields. Dayingpan, known as the "ghost village" because only lepers used to live there, is now home to around 80 families, including 105 residents still suffering from the disease.

linked-image

A.k.a. Quick Claw McGraw: There's a new sheriff in town in Waco, Texas, goes by the name of Creme Soda. Better not razz him about that though. Not if you want to live.

linked-image

Hairy eyeballs from deep space: An infrared image from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope shows the Helix nebula, a photo fave of amateur astronomers. The nebula, about 700 light years away in the constellation Aquarius, surrounds a tiny white dwarf (dot in center). The red indicates the final layers of gas blown out when the star died.

linked-image

Buried lovers? Skeletons of a young couple lie in eternal embrace at a Neolithic archaeological site near Mantua, Italy -- which, in Shakespeare's play, is where Romeo wrongly learns that Juliet is dead. Archaeologists believe the pair was buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago.

linked-image

Hello, Dolly! Well, hello, Dolly! It's so nice to have you back where you belong: Every now and then, the green snakes of Prim, Ark., will burst into show tunes.

linked-image

A litter of ... catbirds? Along with her kittens, new mother Nimra is caring for seven orphaned chicks in Amman, Jordan.

linked-image

Burrrrrrpp! Nothing finishes off a hearty meal of garbage du jour in South Lake Tahoe like a refreshing Pepsi.

And is that Hamas fighter for real? Surely he and the cameraman did it for a larf...?

What do you do after you capture the enemies territory? Goof around with it :tu:

Bravo for the post Dark_Ambience.*

*not quite as impressed with the second batch, everyone knows cats are cute. At least those that haven't been dr. frankensteined by some genetic mad scientist.

Edited by el midgetron

Awesome pics guys.

Here s an interesting pic I found.

linked-image

Palestinian territories ... a Hamas fighter inside a scanning machine in the customs hall of the Rafah crossing border, between Egypt and the southern Gaza Strip, after they captured it, June 15, 2007 / Reuters photo

Well... the good news is, he can no longer procreate!

A.k.a. Quick Claw McGraw: There's a new sheriff in town in Waco, Texas, goes by the name of Creme Soda. Better not razz him about that though. Not if you want to live.

Ktty might not have taken that job if he knew that Waco meant "We Aint Commin Out"

Good pics !! Keep em commin

linked-image

In this Hubble image, the white dots are entire galaxies. They are part of a cluster called CL0024+1652, which is a whopping 5 billion light years away. The blue glow is the location of the dark matter, revealed by its distortion of the shapes of more distant galaxies behind it. The dark matter is in the shape of a ring surrounding the cluster, which indicates that a long time ago, CL0024 suffered a mighty blow, colliding head-on with another cluster. The dark matter from the two clusters passed right through each other, and their gravity caused the material to form the ring shape. We’re seeing this right down the barrel of the collision.

This image is a stunning confirmation of the existence of dark matter, and our understanding of how it works. Many people — who don’t understand the science — claim dark matter doesn’t exist, and that astronomers are making it all up. Well, there’s a giant smoke ring in the sky indicating they are quite wrong.

However, that’s not to say we understand everything about such events. In a picture I almost picked for the Top Ten, we see evidence that there are holes in our knowledge.

linked-image

This image shows the devastation wrought when a star explodes. The Vela Supernova Remnant formed when a massive star 800 light years away blew up 11,000 years ago. Expanding at a ferocious velocity, it is now 8 degrees across in the sky — 16 times the apparent width of the Moon, and about the size of your outstretched fist! David’s mosaic shows a stunning amount of detail, tracing the variety of shapes and patterns the expanding gas makes as it slams into the interstellar junk floating around it.

And if that’s not enough, the full-size image he has on his site is well over a billion pixels in size. Think about that the next time you brag about your digital camera.

linked-image

In this composite image of the galaxy cluster Abell 520 using Chandra, CFHT, and the Subaru telescope, red is normal matter heated to millions of degrees, and blue shows the location of the dark matter. The problem is, where the normal matter is densest the dark matter is least dense, and vice-versa. That’s the opposite of what’s expected here. Perhaps dark matter particles interact with each other differently than we think, or there was some odd factor in the cluster collision that’s throwing a monkey wrench into the works.

There’s a lot more about dark matter to learn, and images like these will help us solve these mysteries. Right now there a lot we don’t know… but we’ll figure it out. That’s why astronomy is so much fun.

linked-image

Jens Hackmann took this stunning picture of a lightning storm near the Weikerscheim Observatory; the 300 second exposure is enough to see the stars streak and the observatory lit up by ambient light. Sometimes, when it’s cloudy, observing is difficult… but you can still get incredible pictures

linked-image

Europa is the crescent on the lower left, and Io (obviously) is the one on the upper right. The plume you see is from the volcano Tvashtar, which has been active for quite some time now. If you look right at the bottom of the plume, you can see molten sulfur glowing red. Two other volcanoes appear to be making some noise as well.

While they appear to be close together, the two moons were actually nearly 800,000 kilometers apart when this picture was taken; Io was on one side of Jupiter and Europa on the other, but from the spacecraft’s perspective they were next to each other in the sky. This picture is actually a composite of two images; one was greyscale and had high resolution, and the other was in color but had lower resolution. By merging the two, we can see more details than we could from the color image alone, and we get the benefit of having the colors enhance the scene.

When I first saw this image, I knew right away the two moons were not close together at all. My secret? I saw that the dark side of Europa was truly dark, but Io’s dark side was lighter. That meant that Io was positioned such that Jupiter was illuminating its otherwise dark half, while Europa must have been on the other side of Jupiter, where it was dark. Sometimes, you can tell a lot just by looking at a image and picturing the geometry in your head.

Funny: I almost picked a movie sequence of Tvashtar erupting for this Top Ten list, but I had to cull it due to the other images I liked better. Plus, the animation is 752 kb, and I didn’t want to choke my server. But you can see it on Emily Lakdawalla’s Planetary Society Blog. It’s worth watching!

linked-image

This creature is IC 342, a nearby spiral lying only 11 million light years away, very close on a galactic scale. If IC342 were located in a region of the sky where our own Milky Way didn’t interfere with the view so much, it would be one of the most celebrated objects in the sky, and would most likely sport a proper name and not just a numerical designation. But because we see it through so much murk, it remains mostly unknown.

What a misfortune! It is a spectacular object. The power of the Mayall 4-meter telescope at Kitt Peak in Arizona reveals the true beauty of this galaxy. Almost all the stars in the image are actually in our Galaxy, much closer than IC 342 (imagine looking out a dirty window to see a bird sitting on a fence to get an idea of what’s going on). But look at it! The arms trace out the births of countless stars, punctuated by glowing red gas as the young stars heat their cocoons. Dark dust lanes hide the stars behind them, mimicking the way the Milky Way dust hides IC 342 itself. You can trace the magnificent arms all the way in to the center, where they meet in a pinwheel of colossal proportions.

In the highest resolution images (click here if you dare!) the picture is even more boggling: you can see far more distant galaxies in the background, some edge-on spirals, and even one ring galaxy. Huge clumps of star-forming regions in IC 342 reveal themselves, and you can spot places where the spiral arms split into separate spurs. Even the foreground stars, so much closer to home, provide a polychromatically spangled vista against which the much more regal spiral lies.

All in all, a devastating picture. The colors, the features, the composition… and it shows us that sometimes, beauty and grandeur can be missed, even when it’s in your own back yard.

And that’s why it’s my Number One Astronomy Picture of 2007.

This sequence shows something we can never see from the Earth: a shrunken Moon passing in front of the Sun. Technically, it’s not even really an eclipse; it’s a transit (when something small crosses in front of something large). That video, only 8 seconds long, is incredible. We see the Sun and Moon literally every day, of course, and it totally shook me to see them look so different.

That’s why I chose this sequence. I love seeing the familiar become unfamiliar, grasping a new perspective on the everyday, the ordinary. You see? There is something new under the Sun.

linked-image

I just got word from Dr. Carolyn Porco from the Saturn Cassini mission that the voting results are in for best Saturn pictures. In a surprise to absolutely no one, this image won in the color category:

linked-image

In the highest resolution images (Click here if you dare!) the picture is even more boggling: you can see far more distant galaxies in the background, some edge-on spirals, and even one ring galaxy. Huge clumps of star-forming regions in IC 342 reveal themselves, and you can spot places where the spiral arms split into separate spurs. Even the foreground stars, so much closer to home, provide a polychromatically spangled vista against which the much more regal spiral lies.

All in all, a devastating picture. The colors, the features, the composition… and it shows us that sometimes, beauty and grandeur can be missed, even when it’s in your own back yard.

And that’s why it’s my Number One Astronomy Picture of 2007.

linked-imageSOURCE LINK

Most of these pictures...are they intended to be funny? Because honestly I can't stop cackling :D

Especially at those kids on the tracks...and first thing I thought when I saw the kid and the whale was "gosh, that kids mum sure is ugly" :D

hey manfred... maybe he was secreting some paraphenalia and the customs officers were just being really cautious... i mean heck.. you cant hide that weapon, but fruit and veges.. the occasional seed or plant??? who knows?