Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YOUR voice of reason.

sede-x-teh-bomb

mhm. I was born in an aethiest family so I never really had much of a religion growing up. However in primary school in my deeply religious town I realised for the first time that other people looked down on me for that lack of belief, I was treated differently simply because I hadn't heard of god, so I came to the conclusion at the time that all religious people were like the ones I knew then and as such were not good people. After growing up and meeting more I realised that this wasn't true that there are very good people in all religions. I went from there to look at many religions from the Abrahamic to the Eastern to religions as unlikely as Pagan and even Australian Aboriginal beliefs yet none of them felt right. In the end I decided theres a 50%, 50% chance there is or isn't a god and I find more comfort in the idea of there being no god then there being one.

Thus I am basically an Aethiest though I still practice some of the rituals that I learnt from my study of religions such as meditation and such.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• momentarylapseofreason

• sede-x-teh-bomb

• artymoon

I can't think of one particular event that did it for me, it was more of a gradual change over the years. I had many good experiences when I was younger, attending a baptist church. Most of the people there were great, and I honestly can't think of any bad times or situations that I encountered with that church and its people. Its funny when I look back now, because I do remember the bible stories they would teach in Sunday school... Noah's ark, David and Goliath, etc. Even then, I had a sense that these stories were exaggerated or fictional to a degree, but it didn't bother me, I thought it was understood :lol: , seriously. My beliefs today did not evolve out of angst for the church or its people, because I had some great experiences and met some great people out of the whole thing, I have no regrets. My beliefs changed from observing, contemplating, experiencing, loving and hating. A lot of thoughts stemmed from observing nature, the sky above, the universe. I suppose I use a naturalistic approach or thought process. I'm atheist in the sense that there is no God (entity) micromanaging the universe.

Honestly, i dont surely know what sparked the skeptic in me. My family is not too much religious, just the common, and i attented Sunday School. Maybe was there when i began to ask "Why?" and to see the face of the teacher when she regurgitate the standard answer time after time. After that, i began to investigate and to see all the inconsistences, and to see that religion are just an expression of the human culture, nothing more, nothing less.

My voice of reason was logic. I think there were more than just one specific time were things did not make sense to me, supernatural gods or what have you, and then I finally had the guts to tell myself I didn't believe it. Once I got that over with (being raised in a semi-religious family, that was the hard part) the guilt dissipated and I was able to better tell fact from fiction.

I think its interesting how most people seem to be born into families or lifestyles which is based on an assumption that there is a diety present and most people had to jump some sort of emotional hurdle to what seems admit to themselves of there belief, or lack there of in this case, i really do think its sad in this point in time, this is as far as we have got, in this day and age you think it would be the other way around!!

Indeed we all have a long way to go.

i was raised by a religious mother. but we both lost faith in man and his lies together. a plague of sorts befell our family. it caused my mother to leave withus. see my father had committed a horrible crime and after that she could not trust him.

what opened our eyes was how everyone in our church sided with him knowing his crime. to top it off we left to another church. it was amazing how much church goers are gossip mongers my mother was ridiculed by our new church as well.we eventually left town because of dads family.

so in that i learned religion and family are weak and you can only trust science. i then learned men of science are flawed so then wounded that i could trust no one i obsessed with being perfect. then oneday i realized i was living your "perfect" not mine.

i was perfect until people pulled me into your "fake reality".

so in that i learned religion and family are weak and you can only trust science. i then learned men of science are flawed so then wounded that i could trust no one i obsessed with being perfect. then oneday i realized i was living your "perfect" not mine.

i was perfect until people pulled me into your "fake reality".

All people are flawed my dear, it depends how deep those flaws are and if you can live with them. You are also flawed.

There is no fake reality, there only is reality, and it bites. (the big one) <_<:P

All people are flawed my dear, it depends how deep those flaws are and if you can live with them. You are also flawed.

There is no fake reality, there only is reality, and it bites. (the big one) <_<:P

MLOR what reality would this one reality be?? just curious???

i agree we are all flawed but.. by whos standard are u refering to?

Sede,i was recently asking a friend of mine who is a bonafide genius no joking he is truly brilliant ... he says i don't know ......... said he didn't know waht reality was other than what you excepted it was.......

Well, maybe we are all perfect? Kind of works out either way, I just like to think positive. B)

We are what we are, we're perfectly capable of changing and perfectly able to change.

Edited by artymoon

MLOR what reality would this one reality be?? just curious???

I mean what IS simply >IS. It is as it is. But we can't perceive all of it. We only perceive what our brains/minds are able to perceive. As an example , the fact of "dark matter".don't know if your'e familiar with it. Some people may know what I'm talking about.. What I perceive is my reality but I know there is alot more that I'm not aware of or able to perceive. Our senses are limited but we are conscious of self and others. For instance we can't see atoms, bacteria (w. naked eye) electricity. I'm not speaking of supernatural forces, although I can make no claims of what supernatural exactly is. I feel that if there truly is "something" that exists in this universe then it is "natural".

Things are as they are, but we don't understand the full spectrum of what that is> due to limited perception,abilities.

I hope i clarified ?

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

No one's standard. In general. We don't have perfect health, perfect looks, perfect kids, etc.

Nobody's perfect that's all I'm saying. We all have flaws. If another persons "flaws" harm you mentally, causes distress, danger to your well being then that is a "flaw" that you should not tolerate. That's all I mean.

I refuse to deal with people that have certain flaws that I can't tolerate.I'm very protective of my mental health, children, family etc.

See what I mean ? Sometimes I'm too lazy to explain/type and that's one of my flaws. (laziness)

I'm very argumentive ,that's why I'm here (one of the reasons) and that may be seen as a flaw too. (maybe a neurosis) but I'm not the only neurotic in the village. :lol: I feel like I belong.......LOL ...Home at last ....home at last.............

No one's standard. In general. We don't have perfect health, perfect looks, perfect kids, etc.

Nobody's perfect that's all I'm saying. We all have flaws. If another persons "flaws" harm you mentally, causes distress, danger to your well being then that is a "flaw" that you should not tolerate. That's all I mean.

I refuse to deal with people that have certain flaws that I can't tolerate.I'm very protective of my mental health, children, family etc.

See what I mean ? Sometimes I'm too lazy to explain/type and that's one of my flaws. (laziness)

I'm very argumentive ,that's why I'm here (one of the reasons) and that may be seen as a flaw too. (maybe a neurosis) but I'm not the only neurotic in the village. :lol: I feel like I belong.......LOL

So you're basically saying that defining flaw is personal?

Edited by artymoon

So you're basically saying that defining flaw is personal?

What i see as a flaw you may not. But we as humans agree on some of the definitions that we term as flaws.

Is gullibility a flaw ? Is jealousy a flaw ?

What i see as a flaw you may not. But we as humans agree on some of the definitions that we term as flaws.

Is gullibility a flaw ? Is jealousy a flaw ?

I don't consider them flaws, I just consider them natural emotions or actions. They may not be desirable, based on the after effects, but a flaw is usually defined as a mistake or fault. So is nature faulty?

I don't consider them flaws, I just consider them natural emotions or actions. They may not be desirable, based on the after effects, but a flaw is usually defined as a mistake or fault. So is nature faulty?

Yes, metastasis is a faulty recapitulation of ontogeny

How about about compulsive lying ? Is it a flaw ?

Can kleptomania be considered a flaw ? I see these as a flaw in character.

Like I said what you may not see as a flaw ,I may, or vice-versa.

Yes, metastasis is a faulty recapitulation of ontogeny

How about about compulsive lying ? Is it a flaw ?

Can kleptomania be considered a flaw ? I see these as a flaw in character.

Like I said what you may not see as a flaw ,I may, or vice-versa.

So something atypical is faulty?

I approach it from the angle that everything has its place, I'm sure you do too, but maybe you consider flaws are necessary to identify something that is flawless. My reasoning is, if it is necessary in some way, then it is not truly a flaw as we define it.

I approach it from the angle that everything has its place, I'm sure you do too, but maybe you consider flaws are necessary to identify something that is flawless. My reasoning is, if it is necessary in some way, then it is not truly a flaw as we define it.

Arty hello, I agree there is only perfection for what ever moment it serves and all things have a place regardless if we happen to know what it is or not........ A separatist framework many have been conditioned to filter through....

I'm very argumentive ,that's why I'm here (one of the reasons) and that may be seen as a flaw too. (maybe a neurosis) but I'm not the only neurotic in the village. :lol: I feel like I belong.......LOL ...Home at last ....home at last.............

MLOR the post to me i am clear now, its alot different then i was thinking..

i do not beleive in flawed either, what i am is perfect for this life i need nothing or lack nothing or require anything i ma whole as is...... .. the imperfections or flaws are conditioned judgments not mine,nor of real use and I too prefer to be what i am naturalloy which is optimistic, to see the value in all thngs....

example, i am as ignorant as i am brilliant yet it isn't a flaw or imperfection I am all of it depends on the moment... I use it as a contrast to better use the moment to get the most value out of it to craft a self i use to navigate life......basically...

i am here to maximize potential with the tools i have naturally and by refering to existance as flawed thwarts the purpose or to even think it could be imperfect would show me my understanding is flawed not life ....... ..

Quit yanking at my arm trying to get me to go down that road with you.............ok you win. :lol:

"Something out of place" is a good example/definition.

Imperfect mammalian fetuses are aborted early.

Nature isn't perfect, it has "glitches"-it is chaotic,reckless and messy ->>the mistakes aren't mourned, they are discarded.

.Mammalian genetics are also messy & chaotic, so mammals don't fuss with perfection.

Nature has flaws that it repairs on it's own> if left alone. (hey that rhymes !)

So nature is not perfect but then again it is.. It fixes itself ?

Quit yanking at my arm trying to get me to go down that road with you.............ok you win. :lol:

:P Sorry, its my tragic flaw (or genetic disposition)... to always win.

We'll agree to disagree. It doesn't change anything anyway... you're wrong, I'm right! :rofl: jk

"Something out of place" is a good example/definition.

Imperfect mammalian fetuses are aborted early.

Nature isn't perfect, it has "glitches"-it is chaotic,reckless and messy ->>the mistakes aren't mourned, they are discarded.

.Mammalian genetics are also messy & chaotic, so mammals don't fuss with perfection.

Nature has flaws that it repairs on it's own> if left alone. (hey that rhymes !)

So nature is not perfect but then again it is.. It fixes itself ?

your examples actually show the perfection of nature ( its synergy and congruency to any moment)....

MLOR also your idea of chaotic, messy, unfair nature etc was a common view that took hold in in britian around the 18oo's it justified the the haves and the have nots holding this view by seeing nature in this way it was exceptable to have more while so many had less (nobles and commoners) but really this goes back to aristoltle .......... certain ones just got the raw end of the stick..its capitalistic in implementation it worked and still does is this day what you are seeing is a conditioning to justify a lifestyle........I'd say look again at nature with an openess for the first time it may look different to you. it may not .just a suggestion...

Edited by Supra Sheri