Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Avian abuctions back in the news

UM-Bot

user posted image rScott Maruna: The city of Springfield, Illinois (like many others) has a Starling problem. Millions of these birds haunt the historic downtown area, leaving behind sidewalks on which few want to walk. The solution...James "the Bird Whisperer" Soules was hired for $164,000 to drive the birds away (he claims to never hurt or kill a healthy bird, use poison of any sort or use explosives.

..his technique is a trademarked, and much locally guffawed-at, secret).

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Biofort

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• UM-Bot

• Harriet The Ripperologist

• iSeeDeadPpl!

A new video making the email circuit certainly makes it seem like an eagle is capable of lifting more weight. The video shows an eagle attacking, flipping and bringing down a small deer (mule deer?). The video is on Youtube under "deer hunting bird".

I used to live out on Whidbey Island in WA state, the bald eagle population out there was huge. I used to sit and watch them fishing in the bay in front of my house and honestly, it looks to me like they can't lift more than about half their body weight. (around here, generously, that's about 5-6lbs prey for a large hen. A hen bald eagle weighs about 11lbs+/- total in this area--yes, that's huge there is no question that baldies are enormous. A very large blue and gold macaw weighs about 3lbs).

I've seen them latch onto a salmon that was too big for them and they nearly get dunked when it happens (it's actually pretty funny). Those are usually silver salmon that rarely weigh over 8lbs. There is NO way an eagle can lift more than 8lbs at the VERY most, even for a large Alaska eagle. Even if they could lift their body weight (which they can't) you're still talking about only 13 or so pounds. Double? 26lbs? I don't know any 26lb 10 year olds.

There's no way eagles fly off with little kids unless it's a 5lb newborn infant. That would be possible, but the reality is that eagles aren't interested in kidnapping your infant unless he tasts like salmon and regularly floats around in the water wearing a silver fish costume.

Eagles HAVE been known to run off with small dogs though. It happens around here occasionally. Most people I know keep a pretty close eye on their yorkshire terriers and chihuahua's.

Eagles are unlikely to go after any kind of human prey with the intent to kill (the intent to defend is possible for course, it's a raptor) but I do know from experience they can be brutal on garbage cans! LOL. Eagles are keen hunters, but they have no problem being scavengers either and human garbage cans are an all time favorite passtime and source of an easy meal. They seem somehow less majestic when you walk outside and see two enormous birds fighting over a left over pot roast and a half a Whopper.

Edited by MissMelsWell

A new video making the email circuit certainly makes it seem like an eagle is capable of lifting more weight. The video shows an eagle attacking, flipping and bringing down a small deer (mule deer?). The video is on Youtube under "deer hunting bird".

its not a new video and it's authenticity is highly debatable.

Hey I'm from that area (Decatur,IL) and I've never heard about any of the things mentioned in this article. Especially about Springfield. Now I have heard about the Lake Shelbyville "Thunderbird" that was caught on video. Which I've been too many many times in the summer for boating and camping. I personally think that the video did capture a young "Thunderbird". The man who video taped it is believed by a lot of people in the area that know him as a very credible and respectable person. It's crazy to think that growing up near all of that and not hear details like that or even a story about it in the local news or newspapers.

That's actually not a deer, but that's beside the point... (it's some kind of sheep or goat)

This also looks to be a golden eagle maybe, it's not a baldie. What's happening in that video is that the eagle attacks the goat on the cliffside and the goat loses its footing and falls off the cliff. The eagle isn't actually lifting the goat, he's merely using his wings like a parachute. He would not be able to lift that animal from the ground and gain any kind of altitute with it. Falling and gliding is one thing, lifting is another thing entirely.

Golden eagles are actually popular sport falcontry birds (not in the US though, I believe it's illegal to keep them here but I could be wrong on that). They can be trained to take down deer, but are typically unable to kill them. Smaller mammals like fox, possibly badger can be killed by the bird on contact. Golden eagles are far more powerful and generally larger than bald eagles.

There was a golden that would sit on a telephone pole outside my house which was level with my upstairs windows. He used to sit there and eyeball my blue and gold macaw in my living room. I was always a little worried that he'd decide to let himself in the house through the windows for a tasty blue snack. LOL

Edited by MissMelsWell

I find the idea of avian abductions pretty scary myself. Mind you, that's coming from someone who's three main fears in life are needles, bicycles and owls.

• 2 months later...

hahhaha, I needed a good laugh