Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster Quest - Invisible Creatures

SteveLove

Tonight Moster Quest was on that was suppose to discuss invisible creatures that can't be seen from the naked eye. Unfortunately I missed it. Here's a forums to talk about this episode specifically. Was there any compelling evidence? I will check on demand to see if it's playing again some time tonight.

Edited by SteveLove

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ~Onyx~

• 667-Neighbor of the Beast

• SteveLove

• loganXman

I just happen to have, in my posession, an entire photo and video archive containing,...invisible creatures!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Actually, I missed it too and would like to hear about this episode as well.

yeah, my dvr had to skip it but will record it again in one hr. Its something about those torpedoe like flying things. They are suppose to move so fast you cant see them with your naked eye. I love this show. I so addicted. I'm also watching A Haunting, and GHI. Can't waith for DestinationTruth in March

Oh cool destination truth is comeing back. Good name too, Logan. I'm an Xmen fan myself.

So it's only focusing on those torpedo things?

Oh cool destination truth is comeing back. Good name too, Logan. I'm an Xmen fan myself.

So it's only focusing on those torpedo things?

thanks!!

Thats what the description said. But i hope its good. So far im pretty impressed with all the eps.

thanks!!

Thats what the description said. But i hope its good. So far im pretty impressed with all the eps.

I think the show actually accomplish things in the research that a lot of the other shows don't. I thought the big fish show was kind of lame though. I mean they had interviews with people that were 'big fish victims'. :lol:

Personally... I was depressed with the outcome... it's just birds and bugs on film... if you decrease or increase the shutter speed they turn back into normal... Oh well I had seen the same thing on some other show on SciFi network.:td:

Last nights episode was about 'FLYING RODS'

Creatures that were discovered by accident by a cameraman for a news station. He going over video when he paused it for a moment and realized he caught something that flew above the clouds at the airport. It was a shape of a missile with two small wings on each side.

at 14 seconds in to it is what they were talking about.

AH i thought those "rods" were proven to be just bugs!

They were, if you play the footage really, really slow they're just bugs or every now and again a bird. Pretty lame.

Yep, just bugs and birds. They set up an experiment with 2 camera's, one fliming at the standard 30 frames per second, the other somewhere between 500-2000 FPS, both with the same clock in the frame to give them a reference. They went out and shook some bushes, and scared the bugs out, and immediatley, rods started showing up on the cameras. Basically, it's either bugs or birds that are flying so fast that a single frame of film will catch them moving several feet in the air, with several wing beats on that frame. This blurs the image, making them look like long missile shaped objects, with multiple pairs of wings, flapping in an undulating motion. This also explains some other film they had that showed rods in the same camera frame as other birds and bugs. Those other birds and bugs simply weren't flying as fast as the one that made the "rod", or were too far away to cause this effect.

Anyway, they tooke the 2 cameras and used the clock in the frames to sync up the frames. The 30fps camera showed a long rod in one frame with several pairs of wings, however, the faster frame camera showed at the exact same time on the clock a moth flying by at high speed.

Then they showed some other experiments done with a rod that seemed to be either coming out or going down into water, and they were able to show that it was a seagull diving down to the water at high speed.

So, "rod" mystery solved. Just bugs and birds.

Leave it up to this ridiculous show to try and "discover" something that has been shown to be nothing but bugs on this website for almost two years now. Maybe we should have our own show. These shows must be having such a good time at the expense of our natural need for people to believe and be interested in the unknown/undiscovered, what a sham.

Leave it up to this ridiculous show to try and "discover" something that has been shown to be nothing but bugs on this website for almost two years now. Maybe we should have our own show. These shows must be having such a good time at the expense of our natural need for people to believe and be interested in the unknown/undiscovered, what a sham.

Well, I think that is the purpose behind the show, to try to explain unknown/unexplained phenomenon to the general public. To look for answers where there were none before. I don't think you should knock the show for being able to prove what these things were. They should be commended for being able to take a myth and disprove it.

Remember, not everyone in the world read this forum. Plus, not to mention, talking about things on this forum is not solid proof of what something is or isnt', just a bunch of people agreeing on what it is. Until these quests/experiments are done, there is not concrete evidence of anything, and that is exactly what this show did.

Maybe we should start our own "Unexplained-Mysteries" TV show. Maybe we could at least get to these topics a little quicker than these other show.

Well, I think that is the purpose behind the show, to try to explain unknown/unexplained phenomenon to the general public. To look for answers where there were none before. I don't think you should knock the show for being able to prove what these things were. They should be commended for being able to take a myth and disprove it.

Remember, not everyone in the world read this forum. Plus, not to mention, talking about things on this forum is not solid proof of what something is or isnt', just a bunch of people agreeing on what it is. Until these quests/experiments are done, there is not concrete evidence of anything, and that is exactly what this show did.

Maybe we should start our own "Unexplained-Mysteries" TV show. Maybe we could at least get to these topics a little quicker than these other show.

I understand what your saying, but these shows do just as much research on the net as the average person...probably even more so....and I guess if they want to waste they're time and money of something that has long ago been shown to be nothing more than a natural occurance, then I should be asking them if they want to help me find the Lindbergh baby.

Who knows, maybe this site WILL someday have it's own show(public access to begin with, perhaps) that has debates and discussions, maybe a call-in portion, and if grows big enough, maybe it'll have it's OWN expeditions sponsored with the Unexplained Mysteries name headlining it. If you can dream it...... :D

I understand what your saying, but these shows do just as much research on the net as the average person...probably even more so....and I guess if they want to waste they're time and money of something that has long ago been shown to be nothing more than a natural occurance, then I should be asking them if they want to help me find the Lindbergh baby.

Who knows, maybe this site WILL someday have it's own show(public access to begin with, perhaps) that has debates and discussions, maybe a call-in portion, and if grows big enough, maybe it'll have it's OWN expeditions sponsored with the Unexplained Mysteries name headlining it. If you can dream it...... :D

Well, see, that is what I like about this show. They didn't just pull up some web page and get their answers from that. They set up and ran their own experiments to prove beyond a doubt exactly what these things are. They don't just recite facts, they go out and try to prove them, or disprove them.

Imagine what kind of Unexplained Mysteries show that would be if the call lines were open to the public. You'd have a man calling in to say that he is pregnant with bigfoots baby, while on hold you would have Bob from the planet OKIHOIUH, and one of George W.'s good clones, claiming that he was the one actually elected, but the evil clone pushed him out of the Whitehouse and took over.

Imagine what kind of Unexplained Mysteries show that would be if the call lines were open to the public. You'd have a man calling in to say that he is pregnant with bigfoots baby, while on hold you would have Bob from the planet OKIHOIUH, and one of George W.'s good clones, claiming that he was the one actually elected, but the evil clone pushed him out of the Whitehouse and took over.

Soooooooooooooooooo your saying that it WOULDN'T be entertaining? :P

Soooooooooooooooooo your saying that it WOULDN'T be entertaining? :P

It would be like masterbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painfull.

It would be like masterbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painfull.

Ouch, I tell ya what, ouch.

Lol

The show would be called UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES.COM PRESENTS and each week we'd have a special guest. Most will remembered would surely be the woman who could regrgitate her own internal organs, although it was censored on TV and replaced with the shows mascots, Wally the Werewolf and Mokly the Living Dinosaur singing a song about the dangers of approaching strangers, it will get ridiculous amounts of hits on Youtube. Unfortunately the show died when they had Planet X in the studio, its gravitational pull that destroyed most of Earth was blamed by critics for ruining the show, as it was an Inconvience and very irritating. Ratings went right down.

But honestly I'd like to see a show of UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES. It would be cool and could be linked to the forum topics and ask veiwers for their stories etc.

:lol:

Maybe then you would be in such an amount of pain you'd actually start seeing "things" like real rods

I watched the show, but since I know how video information is constructed, I kinda had to laugh. It's a fun show in general, but this one ...

When you freeze a video frame, you are actually seeing tiny snapshots from two moments of time. Usually, this is 1/60th of a second apart, which is the default shutter speed of the camcorder. But modern camcorders often automatically change the shutter speed based on light conditions. They also tend to cause motion blur, which makes an object "smear" across several frames. That's what causes the long, rodlike effect - and you can see this if you turn on your camcorder and toss a baseball through the field of view. If you look at the individual frames, it looks long and thin. If you toss a pebble by your camera fast enough to be blurred by the shutter speed, it will look long and thin when frozen.

But then there's the little "wings" on the rods. Modern camcorders split each frame into two sets of horizontal lines. These are "interlaced" together to form the fluid motion that you see. It works pretty well overall. But if the camera jiggles while you are filming a small, fast-moving object (happens all the time, you can hardly notice it when filming), then on some of the frames, it's position will be one scanline up or down from where the the main blur is. But since the video camera automatically chops it into horizontal lines, what you see in the freeze-frame is actually half of the pebble, cut cleanly in a horizontal direction. It looks like the letter D, lying on it's back or front. Depending on shutter speed, this can happen a bunch of times. Bingo, you got something that will always look like a long thin thing with little D-shaped wings sticking out of it, no matter what it is, as long as it is moving at an angle across the frame at a speed that is fast enough to blur with the current shutter speed - unless you are filming from a rock-solid tripod.

The new HDTV camcorders coming out right now actually do not interlace the video, which is actually a better way to store video. You cannot get a rod with wings with a non-interlaced HDTV camera. You'll get long blurry streaks at some shutter speeds, but it won't be chopped up into jagged horizontal lines like the NTSC cameras do. You can test this yourself.