Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Dog of Hanging Hills Hunt!

Nessieman23

Meriden, Connecticut has been haunted for over two hundred years by a black dog. There is a saying from the town of Meriden that goes: "And if a man shall meet the Black Dog once, it shall be for joy; and if twice, it shall be for sorrow; and the third time, he shall die."

Meriden is in the Hanging Hills. The Hanging Hills are full of steep hiking trails and beautiful, scenic views. The Metacomet trail goes through Hubbard Park, where there was a stone observation tower on East Peak called Castle Craig. From Castle Craig you can see the Sleeping Giant Mountain Range to the south, and on a clear day you can catch a glimpse of Long Island Sound. To the north, you can see all the way to the foot hills of the Berkshires. Then the trail meanders over West Peak, where the black dog sometimes visits unwary hikers.

In the early 1900s, a man named Mr. Pynchon saw the black dog twice. The first time he saw the dog, it was so friendly that he commented on the dog to his friends. The second time he saw the dog, the friend he was climbing with fell to his death. And later, Mr. Pynchon decided to climb the same mountain, and he died too.

Sightings of the black dog have occured from the 1800s right to the present. So if you are hiking the West Peak in Meridan, be careful!

---------------------------------------------------------

This quote, from Unsolved Mysteries.net describes what I am going to hunt for...I am also going to try to convince my friend(s?) to come also, but one of their parents rarely lets him go out, and the other is a bit of a wuss, so I might end up going alone. I live in Middletown, CT, and I'm probably going to have to take the bus there, but I'll have a camera ready, and this thread will kinda be like a blog, for my sightings, and experience. Of course, after I go once, I'll never come back. Why? Because the second time is supposed to be bad, and I sure as heck dont want the 3rd time :unsure2: ...So, wish me luck, and check in occasionally! Thanks

I forgot to tell you...But I'm posting videos on youtube for this, I'll put links up for them

Edited by Nessieman23

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nessieman23

• Lightning88

• sewinglife/chimera

• JustNormal

This sounds like a urban legend to me, and it is probably not true. At any rate it is not a haunting for sure. Hauntings do not give you joy or have any other consequences other than scaring you.

It sounds about as plausible as the boogey man or voodoo magic to me...hehe

At any rate I look forward to hearing if you find anything.

I agree with cpjason, though I have heard of it before. Good luck with the hunt!

Damn wish i could go too..... :yes: good luck though. cant wait for the links

We have a slight problem...I'm grounded, but in about a week or so, were going (the people coming with me, grounded too) Also, I need either a person to take us there, or a bus route to west peak

Stories about ghostly Black dogs (hellhounds /moondogs) have been around for centuries, I've always liked reading about them and I'm looking forward to your future post

We have a slight problem...I'm grounded, but in about a week or so, were going (the people coming with me, grounded too) Also, I need either a person to take us there, or a bus route to west peak

LOL aww ! I hope you get un-grounded soon and can continue with your quest!

• 2 weeks later...

The Black dog is the omen of death I believe.....so be careful.

Update I:

Me and my friends, don't have a plan...soo, we need the location where the dog is seen, a map of West Peak, and some cojones...I'm scared! Does having three people with you count as three views of Hangy? (that's my name for him, dopey, but It's better that saying 'Black Dog Of The Hanging Hills) Anyway...We are all scared (thanks for freakin' me out everyone! Just Kidding...) and bored, so next time Seans mom needs to get her nails done in Meriden...That my friends, is when the quest...SHALL BEGIN!

lucky I wish I could go but I live in crappy, all we have is the stupid jersey devil, but yea I read up on that story very eerie and interesting by the way hav u read this I dont no if its true but so called this guy took a photo of the dog http://cttrips.blogspot.com/2006/01/photo-...ack-dog-of.html

Edited by ookami16

lucky I wish I could go but I live in crappy, all we have is the stupid jersey devil, but yea I read up on that story very eerie and interesting by the way hav u read this I dont no if its true but so called this guy took a photo of the dog http://cttrips.blogspot.com/2006/01/photo-...ack-dog-of.html

To me, it looks like your average black Lab? JN

It does look like a normal dog, but then again I don't know much about it but for some reason the color of the dog looks photoshoped, It doesnt really hav a shadow either I think it was placed there.

It does look like a normal dog, but then again I don't know much about it but for some reason the color of the dog looks photoshoped, It doesnt really hav a shadow either I think it was placed there.

Good point, I never even thought about a shadow... Cute doggie LOL...JN

yea he is cute. I work in photoshop the color looks like a add on it doesnt look natural to me.

yea he is cute. I work in photoshop the color looks like a add on it doesnt look natural to me.

LOL What lengths some people will go to!! UGH... :hmm:

Update II:

Next time we get to Meriden (2 weeks or so), we hunt! Yay...And, why are you guys bummed out about only having Jersey Devil and Chupa?! I wish Connecticut had classic cryptids like that! Anyway, me and sean are debating on transportation. Thats all.

cause hellhounds are coolier, I luv that little dog