Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bible Questions

Apostle

Thank you for this inspired thread. It is so nice for once to see explainations and different comments and ideas instead of just bible bashing...

I want to know what happened to the Garden of Eden. Firstly was it ever really part of this world and then 'taken' out of it somehow? Or was it more in a spiritual plane and when Adam and Eve were forced to leave it they actually came to the Earth as we know it...

Thanx Star

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• Apostle

• Omnaka

• zandore

Sorry for the wait. For clarification when you say, "Is God infinite?", do you mean is he all powerful? All-knowing?

Infinite in what aspect? Or just all of the above?

~Apostle

I mean textbook infinite, ALL pervasive, ALL powerful, etc., etc.

Jehovah god should actually be answering these questions. But here goes>

"How come the horses in Exodus die twice in the Ten Plagues and still survive for Pharoah to mount a final attack against the Israelites, and then die again ?"

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Actually Matthew, Mark, and John were Jesus' disciples for nearly all of his 3 and 1/2 years of ministry. And obviously Matthew was written by Matthew, etc.. So we do have a record about him by some who did in fact meet him. Though, these were written some years after Jesus ascended into heaven, but I would think a time like that would be hard to forget.

Paul (known as Saul) did not meet Jesus, but did write about his teachings and a lot about the Old Testament. It's actually quite amazing that Paul actually wrote part of the Bible (in fact a miracle) considering how he persecuted all those of "the way" aka Christians.

Are you talking about non-Biblical sources when you say hundreds of years later? Thanks for the response,

~Apostle

Edit: I had something wrong. Luke, though he was not a disciple, has the most complete account of events surrounding Jesus. And by the way, the Gospels do not contradict each other but they compliment each other.

Is it not true, that, if you wrote the bible and jesus words in red ink and wrote pauls words in black in, that the red ink would only take up 1% of the bible.

How do you explain 50,000 errors inthe bible,

I tell you what, i will keep it simple unlike the others here, who will throw alsorts of red herrings and not stick to one topic at a time. Can you prove the bible is the word of God.

If so, it should have not contradiction, errors, lies, mistakes etc. There should be accurate knowledge verifiable by science and testable means. Is there a falsification test given by the bible.

Thanks

Is it not true, that, if you wrote the bible and jesus words in red ink and wrote pauls words in black in, that the red ink would only take up 1% of the bible.

How do you explain 50,000 errors inthe bible,

I tell you what, i will keep it simple unlike the others here, who will throw alsorts of red herrings and not stick to one topic at a time. Can you prove the bible is the word of God.

If so, it should have not contradiction, errors, lies, mistakes etc. There should be accurate knowledge verifiable by science and testable means. Is there a falsification test given by the bible.

Thanks

I know your question was not to me But, Can you prove all that you ask to be proven of the bible in the koran?

I know your question was not to me But, Can you prove all that you ask to be proven of the bible in the koran?

Of course he thinks he can, just like some Christians believe they can prove the bible.

Neither book can be proven completely historically, scientifically, spiritually, or even grammatically correct, as they were written by men, whether inspired or not.

Ofcourse, otherwise i would not ask. Believe me im a student of comparative religion, i know there is no religion on this planet, that offers a falsfication test, where as the quran offers 100s. Also, there is no book on this planet, which specifically tells man his purpose, why he was created. You dont believe me, test this for yourself. Poeple searching for the truth like i once was, earnestly, will take the time out to study all religions thoroughly.

Sundog,

Hi mate, hope you well, been a little while, i have been busy with my job. Anyway you say.

"Of course he thinks he can, just like some Christians believe they can prove the bible.

Neither book can be proven completely historically, scientifically, spiritually, or even grammatically correct, as they were written by men, whether inspired or not."

I totally disagree, i agree that the above can be applied to all religions, besides Islam, which gives evidence historically, scientfically (falsification test and more), grammatically, there is nothing like the quran, and no one can ever bring anyting like it, even if we used the whole universes resources and man and djinn put together, we still can not produce even a verse like it. The quran was inspired, god words decendind on muhammed, via gabriel, and then written down immediately, and memorised, the arabs at the time were amazing in aural traditions and memory. Infact out of the muslims population, about 9 million or more, know the quran by heart , word by word, so even if we lost the quran one day in a literal form, we would know it by heart, so it cant be lost, if some one tried to tamper with it, by chanding the arabic and attempts have been made in the past, then we will jump on it quickly, and let them know where its wrong. u see this is back up, the quran in muslims hearts embedded, now tell me is the bible authentic in its orignal form. NO!, the quran Yes!

Ofcourse, otherwise i would not ask. Believe me im a student of comparative religion, i know there is no religion on this planet, that offers a falsfication test, where as the quran offers 100s. Also, there is no book on this planet, which specifically tells man his purpose, why he was created. You dont believe me, test this for yourself. Poeple searching for the truth like i once was, earnestly, will take the time out to study all religions thoroughly.

Sundog,

Hi mate, hope you well, been a little while, i have been busy with my job. Anyway you say.

"Of course he thinks he can, just like some Christians believe they can prove the bible.

Neither book can be proven completely historically, scientifically, spiritually, or even grammatically correct, as they were written by men, whether inspired or not."

I totally disagree, i agree that the above can be applied to all religions, besides Islam, which gives evidence historically, scientfically (falsification test and more), grammatically, there is nothing like the quran, and no one can ever bring anyting like it, even if we used the whole universes resources and man and djinn put together, we still can not produce even a verse like it. The quran was inspired, god words decendind on muhammed, via gabriel, and then written down immediately, and memorised, the arabs at the time were amazing in aural traditions and memory. Infact out of the muslims population, about 9 million or more, know the quran by heart , word by word, so even if we lost the quran one day in a literal form, we would know it by heart, so it cant be lost, if some one tried to tamper with it, by chanding the arabic and attempts have been made in the past, then we will jump on it quickly, and let them know where its wrong. u see this is back up, the quran in muslims hearts embedded, now tell me is the bible authentic in its orignal form. NO!, the quran Yes!

Ozi, You have srtong beleifs in the quran and while that is admirable their are christians whose beliefs in the bible are just as strong. I have said this to you before and do not mean to offend you , You can claim the quran is truer than the bible but that is just your opinion. You have no more proof that your bible is more accurate than mine, They are different and have different beliefs and veiws but that does not make one true and one a lie. Just different. I will not list the reasons why nor will not argue because it would prove usless as you believe your right and I believe I am right . Thats is our opinions not fact, as the skeptics would tell us BOTH, Always a pleasure

Hey heres one ,The tree of Knoldege of good and Evil was placed in the garden with man and we ate of it,Did Satin eat of this tree before he was cast down to earth, and did he eat of the tree of life. :huh:

Though the Bible doesn't speak specifically on this subject, I think the answer is in between the lines. I don't think he did. He wouldn't have needed to.

Edit: Had a double negative, sorry for the confusion. Satan wouldn't have needed to eat from the tree of life because angels are immortal anyways. He also already had the knowledge of good and evil.

Edited by Apostle

I got another one by the way this is fun! :P

We know that the bible was written by man & God says that man is full of sin So therefore we’re flawed.

Being that the bible is just over some 2,000 years old & that man did write it how do you know what’s in it is what God wanted? It’s say to say that the bible was inspired by God so end of story. During all that time it would be really easy for someone to mistranslated a word & slip something in there that they thought was lets says close enough. So why do people put his/her faith in a book that might not be very accurate in the first place?

BTW take your time it seem you got your work cut out for ya!

Thanks for the question and patience! Humans make mistakes and the Bible was written by humans; so shouldn't the Bible contain mistakes? Nope, and the Bible says that it is error free because of the inspiration from God.

2 Timothy 3:16

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." (KJV)

We don't know how the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the Bible, but he did. I'm sure because God did not want His Word to be filled with errors so He oversaw the writing of His Word. God has done many more miraculous things then inspiring humans to write an error free book, I believe that's why people can believe it. Not only that but new archaeological, scientific, and many more things have only proven the Bible to be sound. Also, the many prophecies written in it that have come to pass.

~Apostle

Is God infinite?

Yes, God is infinite. He knows everything, he sees everything, he can do all things, he is everywhere. I don't know if you want to know any more then that, if so just ask, sorry for the wait.

~Apostle

Here’s my problem with saying that the bible is the word of God. Yes it’s said that the bible is inspired by the him. Your still basing that verse on what someone said & not God.

Inspired: outstanding or brilliant in a way or to a degree suggestive of divine inspiration

Based on that all God really did was suggest that they got it right. Yes there are Hebrew

Dictionary’s out there but let’s not forget that the OT is the Jewish bible & that almost every word had more then one meaning just like the English language does. Not to mention that they do not believe in the Christian God like most of you do here. I know a few Jewish people & they are very secretive about their faith, so it really goes back to how do we know that the OT is what they really believe? They just might have a version of the bible just for them. Anything is possible.

No problem....

So my friend and i were talkin about the death of Heath Ledger. She commented on how the poor daughter of theirs won't ever get to know her father. I then said jokinly that maybe if he remains in the spirit world do to his sudden/tragic death, she may be able to see him or talk to him. She then got all on the defense and said that's not possible, to show me in the bible where it says that.

So, my question, if it doesn't say it in the bible, why do i hear and see(on tv) so many accounts on spirits or ghosts that remain in our world do to either:tragic death, sudden unexpected (not their time to leave)death, or someone holding them here against their own will? Thanx

Okay, I have a question

Can Satan ever be redeemed and go to heaven? And why or why not

If I recall correctly, from Catholic theology classes:

Angels are fully enlighted and understand all he mysteries of God. When Satan made the choice to separate from God, he did so with full knowledge and understanding of the choice and its consequences... Therefore, his decision was absolute and his separation also.

Humans do not have enlightenment to all of God's mysteries, but just suspect the nature of some of them. Consequently, our decisions are "best guesses" - and once we die and enter into enlightenment, we will be equipped to understand fully our choices and their consequences... offering an opportunity for redemption...

(something like that... LOL! This is based on the teachings from the philosophies of Aquinas and C.S. Lewis)

my question to that answer:

If he knew and completely understood the decision and its consequences, why would he do that? Why would anyone do something when they knew that it wouldn't work, they couldn't win, and they would suffer for it? It doesn't make sense to me; it's not a logical choice at all.

My word you are being very generous with your assumptions.(short of parchment )you can do better than that PA .Mathew says it was dark but you say it wasn't.

Slipping an angei in where it wasn't mentioned ,What are you doing rewriting the gospel??

fullywired

:blink: I don't think I have done any such thing. I am just stating that small differences like this don't indicate an out-and-out contradiction. I am not "rewriting" anything, just suggesting that the contradictions are not contradictions but differing points of view. I suggest you re-read my post if you think that is what I was doing.

Thank you for this inspired thread. It is so nice for once to see explainations and different comments and ideas instead of just bible bashing...

I want to know what happened to the Garden of Eden. Firstly was it ever really part of this world and then 'taken' out of it somehow? Or was it more in a spiritual plane and when Adam and Eve were forced to leave it they actually came to the Earth as we know it...

Thanx Star

Hi Star girl,

There are a few theories on this one, and since no one was ever alive at the time, there is no way we can say for certain. I can give you my opinion though, but you may get a different opinion from other Christians. My view is that there never was a real Garden of Eden. I don't think there was necessarily a specific Adam, and a specific Eve. The language of the early chapters of Genesis are largely figurative and in many cases adhere to the conventions of Hebrew poetry. Keeping this in mind, I don't think then that the whole creation story is a scientific account written to convey HOW life came to be, but rather a poetic writing designed to convey the importance of WHO created it, and WHY.

That said, I could be wrong. As I said, no one today can look into the past and find out for certain. If Eden does exist, and Adam and Eve did exist, then concerning the location of Eden, again I could only speculate. I don't think it is really important though. The theological point of the story of Eden (whether it be a real place or not) is not in any way related to the location, but it does convey the story of humanity's sinfulness - even when there is just one law in the whole world (don't eat from the tree), mankind is bound to fail in that.

Sorry I can't provide a more concrete answer for you, but the Bible just does not have the scope to answer the question you ask. Thanks for listening.... err, reading :)

~ PA

Here’s my problem with saying that the bible is the word of God. Yes it’s said that the bible is inspired by the him. Your still basing that verse on what someone said & not God.

Inspired: outstanding or brilliant in a way or to a degree suggestive of divine inspiration

Based on that all God really did was suggest that they got it right.

In 2 Timothy, the phrase used to refer to scripture is that it is "God-breathed". This is far more than simply "inspired" or "suggestive of divine inspiration". The phrase literally refers to something being "breathed out" of the mouth of God. At the very least, this is suggesting that scripture is not just "inspired" by God, but is indeed the very words of God himself. Now, whether you take this as true or not is a different question. But the Bible does claim itself to be the words of God, not just God suggesting that they got it right.

Yes there are Hebrew Dictionary’s out there but let’s not forget that the OT is the Jewish bible & that almost every word had more then one meaning just like the English language does. Not to mention that they do not believe in the Christian God like most of you do here. I know a few Jewish people & they are very secretive about their faith, so it really goes back to how do we know that the OT is what they really believe? They just might have a version of the bible just for them. Anything is possible.

No problem....

That is why the context is vitally important. In English, someone might write the following:

a - I went to the bank to get some money

b - I went down to the bank for a swim

Both phrases use the word "bank", but the context used, it clearly shows that in the first, the writer is referring to a place where money is kept, while the second is referring to a river bank. To think otherwise would be just plain foolish. No one would go to withdraw money from the river bank, nor would someone go to their financial institution for a swim. Hebrew is the same. 99% of the time the context clearly shows what meaning of the word should fit. However, there may be some rare instances where the exact meaning may be unclear (possibilities that arise off the top of my head are Genesis 1:26, and Isaiah 45:7). Does this then invalidate the entire process? One could easily say the same about any ancient text, regardless of its origin, and therefore claim the futility in reading Aristotle or Plato for exactly the same reasons. Would it not be smarter then to simply look at these rare places and discuss the varying possibilities and their ramifications, and where they do not actually affect the way we live or what we know of the character of God take it as an intellectual exercise. *So far, I haven't seen a case where the context has been an issue and the doctrine of that verse has affected the way a person lives their life*

Edited by Paranoid Android

So, my question, if it doesn't say it in the bible, why do i hear and see(on tv) so many accounts on spirits or ghosts that remain in our world do to either:tragic death, sudden unexpected (not their time to leave)death, or someone holding them here against their own will? Thanx
The Bible doesn't say anything about ghosts. But then again, not everyone believes that ghosts are real, and that is as universally true for Christians as for non-Christians. However, I don't think the Bible actually condemns the possibility either. Personally, I believe that there is a spirit realm that humans can sometimes get a glimpse of, but that no one can fully see. I believe that this spirit realm can manifest itself in the world and take the guise of many things, and sometimes people misinterpret these spirits as ghosts of ancestors and what have you. These spirits may or may not be helpful, and the Bible does not say, though it does say that in all things we should put God first, so it would be a mistake to look at this spirit world and worship anything within it.

As I said though, the Bible does not specifically condemn teh possibility of ghosts, and so I would not completely discount the possibility in these beings.

Hope that helps :tu:

~ Paranoid Android

In 2 Timothy, the phrase used to refer to scripture is that it is "God-breathed". This is far more than simply "inspired" or "suggestive of divine inspiration". The phrase literally refers to something being "breathed out" of the mouth of God. At the very least, this is suggesting that scripture is not just "inspired" by God, but is indeed the very words of God himself. Now, whether you take this as true or not is a different question. But the Bible does claim itself to be the words of God, not just God suggesting that they got it right.

That is why the context is vitally important. In English, someone might write the following:

a - I went to the bank to get some money

b - I went down to the bank for a swim

Both phrases use the word "bank", but the context used, it clearly shows that in the first, the writer is referring to a place where money is kept, while the second is referring to a river bank. To think otherwise would be just plain foolish. No one would go to withdraw money from the river bank, nor would someone go to their financial institution for a swim. Hebrew is the same. 99% of the time the context clearly shows what meaning of the word should fit. However, there may be some rare instances where the exact meaning may be unclear (possibilities that arise off the top of my head are Genesis 1:26, and Isaiah 45:7). Does this then invalidate the entire process? One could easily say the same about any ancient text, regardless of its origin, and therefore claim the futility in reading Aristotle or Plato for exactly the same reasons. Would it not be smarter then to simply look at these rare places and discuss the varying possibilities and their ramifications, and where they do not actually affect the way we live or what we know of the character of God take it as an intellectual exercise. *So far, I haven't seen a case where the context has been an issue and the doctrine of that verse has affected the way a person lives their life*

And when you really come to it thats where ones faith takes over.

I got another one by the way this is fun! :P

We know that the bible was written by man & God says that man is full of sin So therefore we’re flawed.

Being that the bible is just over some 2,000 years old & that man did write it how do you know what’s in it is what God wanted? It’s say to say that the bible was inspired by God so end of story. During all that time it would be really easy for someone to mistranslated a word & slip something in there that they thought was lets says close enough. So why do people put his/her faith in a book that might not be very accurate in the first place?

BTW take your time it seem you got your work cut out for ya!

Well, lets discuss that: If sinful men did write it, then how do we know that what was written was what God wanted?

If God wanted something written in there, wouldn't it get done? He is the Almighty. But I can see where you are coming from. Its hard to trust sinful men, but we do it everyday. Its knowing their reasons for writing that will help you understand the writings themselves. You see, though, the words in the Bible denounce the pride of humanity at every angle. If the authors of the Bible were doing it for personal recognition or gain, then they wouldn't have consistently humbled themselves and confess their sin (even when sin wasn't apparent, as in Daniel's case [Daniel 9].) Same for the New Testament: The Christians wouldn't have made Peter (their leader) look like a fool in the Gospel if indeed they were writing for personal gain. The focus wasn't on man. That was God's job. Man's job was focusing on God, which was properly demonstrated in the writings of the Bible. Take care.

Well, lets discuss that: If sinful men did write it, then how do we know that what was written was what God wanted?

If God wanted something written in there, wouldn't it get done? He is the Almighty. But I can see where you are coming from. Its hard to trust sinful men, but we do it everyday. Its knowing their reasons for writing that will help you understand the writings themselves. You see, though, the words in the Bible denounce the pride of humanity at every angle. If the authors of the Bible were doing it for personal recognition or gain, then they wouldn't have consistently humbled themselves and confess their sin (even when sin wasn't apparent, as in Daniel's case [Daniel 9].) Same for the New Testament: The Christians wouldn't have made Peter (their leader) look like a fool in the Gospel if indeed they were writing for personal gain. The focus wasn't on man. That was God's job. Man's job was focusing on God, which was properly demonstrated in the writings of the Bible. Take care.

Still thats faith talking which I'm cool with.

So can anyone answer my question?

Angels are fully enlighted and understand all he mysteries of God. When Satan made the choice to separate from God, he did so with full knowledge and understanding of the choice and its consequences... Therefore, his decision was absolute and his separation also.

Humans do not have enlightenment to all of God's mysteries, but just suspect the nature of some of them. Consequently, our decisions are "best guesses" - and once we die and enter into enlightenment, we will be equipped to understand fully our choices and their consequences... offering an opportunity for redemption...

(something like that... LOL! This is based on the teachings from the philosophies of Aquinas and C.S. Lewis)

If he knew and completely understood the decision and its consequences, why would he do that? Why would anyone do something when they knew that it wouldn't work, they couldn't win, and they would suffer for it? It doesn't make sense to me; it's not a logical choice at all.

The Bible doesn't say anything about ghosts. But then again, not everyone believes that ghosts are real, and that is as universally true for Christians as for non-Christians. However, I don't think the Bible actually condemns the possibility either. Personally, I believe that there is a spirit realm that humans can sometimes get a glimpse of, but that no one can fully see. I believe that this spirit realm can manifest itself in the world and take the guise of many things, and sometimes people misinterpret these spirits as ghosts of ancestors and what have you. These spirits may or may not be helpful, and the Bible does not say, though it does say that in all things we should put God first, so it would be a mistake to look at this spirit world and worship anything within it.

As I said though, the Bible does not specifically condemn teh possibility of ghosts, and so I would not completely discount the possibility in these beings.

Hope that helps :tu:

~ Paranoid Android

The Bible and the Church, condemn all kinds of Spiritism and mediums with the strongest terms: It is "prostitution against God", "stone them to death". "Child of the Devil", reprimands St. Paul to the medium Bar Jesus in Acts 13.

and Satan can simulate many supernatural manifestations of God, like the magicians did in the times of Moses, using living persons, as reported in 2 Thessalonians 2:9: "the work of Satan, using all kinds of counterfeit miracles and signs and wonders, and every kind of wicked deception" (Exodus 7, 2Cor.11:14, 1Tim.4)...

Everybody, says the Bible, is "a child of God", or "a child of the Devil" (1Jn.3:10)... you and I, right now, are either "a child of God, or a child of Satan"... if you and I are "in the grace of God", we are "children of God"; if we are "in sin", we are "children of Satan"... You can not be both at the same time!...

I always believed the contact of spirits or things of that nature to be strictly against God as the scripture says, But then satan can use these things? Always a pleasure

Hi menace,

I've been thinking a little about this question since I read it earlier today. I haven't really come to a fully fledged answer because quite simply I have never thought of it before. One thing I have come to realise though is that the interpretation you have given is completely false. There is no biblical justification to suggest that anyone cannot be redeemed if they seek forgiveness, even if the person repenting is an angel/demon. There is simply not enough information in the Bible about angels or demons to suggest what their knowledge is. It certainly is true that they are privy to more information than humans, but does that mean that if they sin they cannot be forgiven?

According to the Bible, I am not even sure of exactly who Satan is. What I do know is that Satan is the "prosecuting attorney" against mankind, and at some point in history did indeed revolt against God. But was the revolt designed by God? Lucifer was created for the purpose of prosecuting humanity. Has Satan then actively rebelled, or been a loyal subject of God, doing his bidding in being the prosecutor of mankind? Is Satan rebelling because that is how God created him, or is he acting faithfully as God's servant this whole time. I haven't fully worked out an answer for this one yet. But what I can say is that in relation to your question, IF satan has rebelled, and IF satan repents, God will indeed forgive. I can base this answer on no other point beyond that the Bible gives no information about angels repenting.

That said, God through the Bible has prophesied that Satan will continue to act as prosecuting attorney right to the end of days. It thus does not become a matter of IF Satan repents. God as an all-seeing, all-knowing God has essentially told us that Satan will not repent, and God should know, being the creator of Satan, and creating him for the purpose of being a prosecuting angel (whether Satan is a Faithful subject or a rebeller, the effect and point is still the same). Since Satan cannot ever change his ways (by this reasoning, at least), then I don't think it's a matter of whether God could or would forgive Satan if he turned, but more the point that the issue will never arise.

That's my current thought on the question you asked, at least. I may refine it in the future and if so, I'll let you know - as I said, it's not a question I had ever thought of before today. All the best,

~ Regards, PA

There is a story I can't remember where I heard it but if God allowed Lucifer back into heaven it would undo everything that God made. INtresting idea.