Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bible Questions

Apostle

Good point.

My post says that I'll answer them as best I can, which by that I mean, I'll give as clear of an answer I can in accordance with the Word of God. However, I will not always have a specific answer as with his question, since God knows everything, and I only know very little.

That is a good answer. we all know less than we think we do

fullywired

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• Apostle

• Omnaka

• zandore

I have another question.

Isaiah 54:16

Behold, it is I who have created the smith that bloweth in the fire of coal, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the destroyer to waste.

is that talking about Satan? And if it is then why would God do that?

Just know that God loves children, as he makes clear in his Word. There is judgment coming for people who harm children (or anyone for that matter). God does not force anyone to do anything, but he works through willing people. Suffering is a direct result of our rebellion towards God. Little children that die and are under the age of accountability are in heaven where there is no pain or suffering and it couldn't be better for them. Even though God does not want any child to suffer, there is a reason for everything and God has it all under control.

Is he going to bring judgement down on himself for drowning those poor babies during the global flood? Hell, even if it was a purely symbolic story, why would an all-loving and intelligent god use such a sick and twisted story in his holy book to get any point across?

Edited by ShaunZero

I have another question.

Isaiah 54:16

Behold, it is I who have created the smith that bloweth in the fire of coal, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the destroyer to waste.

is that talking about Satan? And if it is then why would God do that?

I believe this is not talking about Satan.

V.16 is contrasted with v.17, which says,

"No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, says the LORD."

If you put these two verses together it is basically saying - I (God) have created the weapon maker and the soldier were made by God and God is ultimately in control, so there is no need for the 'servants of the Lord' to fear them.

Hope this helps,

Apostle

Is he going to bring judgement down on himself for drowning those poor babies during the global flood? Hell, even if it was a purely symbolic story, why would an all-loving and intelligent god use such a sick and twisted story in his holy book to get any point across?

What you're really asking is - Would God condemn himself for bringing down judgment?

I really like that you brought up hell and the global flood, it will really help get this point across :tu: .

The first thing we need to know is why God brought the flood.

Genesis 6:5-7:

And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repents me that I have made them.

God is judge over the earth and his judgment on the earth was only equal to the reprobation of the earth. Would you condemn and earthly judge who's sentence was equal to the crime of the accused?

The flood is actually a picture of hell and judgment. Notice what I have in bold. Hell is not symbolic; it should scare those who aren't saved, though the vast majority of them don't care at all. Hell is in the Bible as a warning. Hell was not intended for man, only for the demon and his angels; but since man has also sinned, there is a punishment for that sin, unless we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior so God can forgive us for our sins. God's heart is grieved every time one of his creations goes to hell, but as a Just Judge, God must give the correct verdict.

The only point God is trying to get acrossed by talking about hell, is how much he doesn't want you to have to spend eternity there because he loves you.

Listen to his warning about hell and accept the way that God has made out of it, otherwise, yeah, it's terrifying.

(Matthew 10:5 KJV) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(Matthew 15:21 KJV) Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

(Matthew 15:23 KJV) But he answered her not a word. . . .

(Matthew 15:23 KJV) . . . . And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

(Matthew 15:24 KJV) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(Matthew 15:25 KJV) Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

(Matthew 15:26 KJV) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.

(Matthew 15:27 KJV) And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

(Matthew 15:28 KJV) . . . O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

I wonder about his whole attitude obviously.. and you as a woman must surely have some interpretation of this.. I would love to hear how much sense it makes in writing.

Also I find it very interresting its when she accepts being a dog, nothing.. that her faith is strong.

(Matthew 10:5 KJV) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(Matthew 15:21 KJV) Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

(Matthew 15:23 KJV) But he answered her not a word. . . .

(Matthew 15:23 KJV) . . . . And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

(Matthew 15:24 KJV) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(Matthew 15:25 KJV) Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

(Matthew 15:26 KJV) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.

(Matthew 15:27 KJV) And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

(Matthew 15:28 KJV) . . . O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

I wonder about his whole attitude obviously.. and you as a woman must surely have some interpretation of this.. I would love to hear how much sense it makes in writing.

Also I find it very interresting its when she accepts being a dog, nothing.. that her faith is strong.

Hi,

Good observation, I've studied this before because this is not the first time I've seen this come up.

The account that you gave speaks of the first, and if memory serves correctly, the only time Jesus is outside of the people of Israel. The word 'dogs' would not refer to women, but it refer to the people other than of Israel. I thought it was very interesting how Jesus referred to himself as bread; we're told elsewhere in the New Testament that Jesus is the bread of life. I also thought that there has to be something deeper here than just calling everyone else dogs.

Well, the way I look at this account is this:

The Israelites were given the Law, the Tanach, the prophets; these were all pointing to who the Messiah would be. The Israelites should have recognized who the Messiah was; the Gentiles however did not have these. But Jesus was sent to those who would recognize him so that they would be able to spread the good news.

The gentiles are here referred to as dogs. If you have a dog (I don't I just looked this information up) you might know that they can't eat very much bread. The dogs, as given in the this account, eat the bread yet (In Mark 7:27 it says, "Let the children first be filled", signifying that their turn is coming). The children (which represent the Israelites) did eat the bread, however. Eating bread in Hebrew literature signifies understanding. The gentiles didn't have the law, tanach, or the prophets so they wouldn't have been able to understand very much about Jesus. She did however, and therefore it was like eating the bread crumbs that fell from the Master's table, because though he came to Israel, he's Lord over all.

Hopefully I explained everything well. In other words, dogs can't eat very much bread, that's why the woman (representing the genitles) ate a crumb, rather then the children (representing the Israelites) who ate the bread. Eating bread represent understanding and the Israelites should have understood, while the gentiles mostly didn't; but their time would come as signified in Mark 7:27.

Hope that helps,

Leah Greenwell

Hey, just one question that has come up in other posts and I wanted to hear your opinion. Someone was asking about where Lucifer "fell" from Heaven. Someone else responded by saying that Lucifer never existed in the original Hebrew texts, and he that was only created by the Christian chruch. He says Satan was real (based on religious interpretations) but this fallen angel Lucifer was only a fictional "character", if you will, from the chruch. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

edit: oops, wrong information - remind me never to post when I'm just about to go to bed, lol. See my next post for correct information :) Edited by Paranoid Android

"Lucifer" is Latin for "Light-Bringer" and would not have been in the original ancient Hebrew texts.

Additional reading if you want: The Name "Lucifer"

Perfect, two opposite answers... :wacko: Just kidding, and thanks for the help. I only asked because people were dicussing it on such a large scale and I had never heard whether or not one was original, and another was simply made up. (Lucifer and Satan, that is) I just found it very interesting and wanted to know who, if both or either, were in the original Hebrew scripts. If anyone else has any information that'd be great. Thanks again.

I must amend my earlier statement. Apologies for the mix-up. It was late at night after a long day at work. I got my terms wrong (I was thinking "Satan" and "devil" - another popular question of discussion - rather than Satan/Lucifer). Satan is mentioned in the Old Testament. As for Lucifer, there is a term in Isaiah 14:12 that is sometimes translated as "Lucifer". However, the best rendering of the term is found in many of the more accurate translations, which label the term as "Day Star", or "Morning Star". The early translators saw "Morning Star/Day Star" as synonymous with the Latin "Light-bringer" and thus sometimes translated it as Lucifer. This is mainly a confusion with the early King James Bible and such. Most modern translations take the day star/morning star approach (the ESV translates as "Day Star", the NIV as "Morning Star", for example).

Again, my apologies - I was thinking of different terms last night.

Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

As for Lucifer, there is a term in Isaiah 14:12 that is sometimes translated as "Lucifer". However, the best rendering of the term is found in many of the more accurate translations, which label the term as "Day Star", or "Morning Star".

Apologies accepted.

Better the whole truth be told then a partial.

Could it be "Isaiah 14:12" also have been talking about Jesus?

Revelation 22:16

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

That is just one of a few ways they were described alike.

I've noticed that many people who are "Christians" have many misunderstandings of the Bible. If you are a Christian then one of your basics beliefs should be that the Bible is the Word of God. So, on this thread I will take any questions from anyone (Christian or other) to help those who may have been misinformed or just want more of an understanding. I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly and accurately. Objections are also welcome, anything really about the Bible.

~Apostle

I Have A Question If I May .... What Are The Spirit Forces ?

I Have A Question If I May .... What Are The Spirit Forces ?

Gonna be honest...I have no idea what you're talking about. Never heard of that before.

why doesn't the NT cover the story of Jesus between the ages of 12 and 30 ? would trying to explain his life make him look less than a 'messiah' and more like just a man that he was ?

Gonna be honest...I have no idea what you're talking about. Never heard of that before.

Thank You For Being ( Honest ) Because Some People Try To Make Up Things .

Here Another Question If I May ; What Made Noah Perfect In His Generation ?

why doesn't the NT cover the story of Jesus between the ages of 12 and 30 ? would trying to explain his life make him look less than a 'messiah' and more like just a man that he was ?
It was a convention of biographers to deal with it this way. Ancient biographies of some of the Caesar's, for example, contain only a couple of anecdotes of their childhood before jumping immediately into their actions and lives as adults raised to the leadership of the Roman Empire. With Jesus, we see a similar pattern as his birth is detailed, and then one anecdote of him as a child, and then jumping straight into the start of his ministry (approximately 30 years old).

Hope that helps :tu:

I've noticed that many people who are "Christians" have many misunderstandings of the Bible. If you are a Christian then one of your basics beliefs should be that the Bible is the Word of God. So, on this thread I will take any questions from anyone (Christian or other) to help those who may have been misinformed or just want more of an understanding. I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly and accurately. Objections are also welcome, anything really about the Bible.

~Apostle

What Made Noah Perfect In His Generation ?

He was a special Son Of Father and Mother who could hear and Then did as he was asked By Father, Out of unconditional Love.

Love Omnaka

He was a special Son Of Father and Mother who could hear and Then did as he was asked By Father, Out of unconditional Love.

Love Omnaka

Can you back up what your saying with Scriptures meaning Chapter & Verses ?

Can you back up what your saying with Scriptures meaning Chapter & Verses ?

I don't need scripture to back it up, It's obvious from The ark that he built and the warnins Given that he heard Father and Took heed while other's did not, and drowned, Kinda like the Sodam and Ghemorrah History.

Any school Child can tell you that Noah heard Father and did as asked.

Wether one believes this or not is another story ,, (FReewill)

I love God , Because God loves Me. Nothing More nothing Less, This is unconditional.

My brother Noah Loves Father the same.

PS- worshiping In spirit and worshiping Words on a page are As diferent as Religion is from Spirituality.

Although some think the two are synonamous, they are Fare from The same.

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

Unwavering Faith in God, unwavering Trust in God's promises!

By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

~ Hebrews 11:7.

Though I don't think it's necessarily right to say he was "perfect". I guess if you compare the people of his generation, he would be "perfect in comparison", but perfection is something not attainable by humanity in our current form. I guess the Bible might have used the word "perfect", but I can't recall it ever used. At best, I can recall it saying, "Noah found favour in the eyes of the Lord" (Genesis 6:8). That said, whether the Bible actually uses the word "perfect" or not is irrelevant to the theological theme of the story - the documentation of humanity's slide into sin. Did God really destroy the entire planet through flood? Or was it a flood covering the "known world" - the Hebrew supports such a view. It also supports the possibility that this event did not necessarily happen in the exact way described (ie, there was no gathering of two-pairs of animals, for example) - Genesis 6-7 being part of the greater narrative of chapters 1-11 leave significant room for the possibility that it was written as a theological discourse to explain humanity's slide to sin rather than as an historical account of what really happened.

But that's neither here nor there for the purpose of the question. As noted in the start of this post, Noah was accounted as having great Faith in God (Faith meaning "trust" in God's promises) and for that he was accounted as righteous. He wasn't necessarily "perfect", but he was a righteous man who followed the Lord.

Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

I don't need scripture to back it up, It's obvious from The ark that he built and the warnins Given that he heard Father and Took heed while other's did not, and drowned, Kinda like the Sodam and Ghemorrah History.

Any school Child can tell you that Noah heard Father and did as asked.

Wether one believes this or not is another story ,, (FReewill)

I love God , Because God loves Me. Nothing More nothing Less, This is unconditional.

My brother Noah Loves Father the same.

PS- worshiping In spirit and worshiping Words on a page are As diferent as Religion is from Spirituality.

Although some think the two are synonamous, they are Fare from The same.

Love Omnaka

Ok I see You Makeup Things As You Go , And You Have No Knowldge Of The Scriptures Of What You Speak Ok .

Unwavering Faith in God, unwavering Trust in God's promises!

By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

~ Hebrews 11:7.

Though I don't think it's necessarily right to say he was "perfect". I guess if you compare the people of his generation, he would be "perfect in comparison", but perfection is something not attainable by humanity in our current form. I guess the Bible might have used the word "perfect", but I can't recall it ever used. At best, I can recall it saying, "Noah found favour in the eyes of the Lord" (Genesis 6:8). That said, whether the Bible actually uses the word "perfect" or not is irrelevant to the theological theme of the story - the documentation of humanity's slide into sin. Did God really destroy the entire planet through flood? Or was it a flood covering the "known world" - the Hebrew supports such a view. It also supports the possibility that this event did not necessarily happen in the exact way described (ie, there was no gathering of two-pairs of animals, for example) - Genesis 6-7 being part of the greater narrative of chapters 1-11 leave significant room for the possibility that it was written as a theological discourse to explain humanity's slide to sin rather than as an historical account of what really happened.

But that's neither here nor there for the purpose of the question. As noted in the start of this post, Noah was accounted as having great Faith in God (Faith meaning "trust" in God's promises) and for that he was accounted as righteous. He wasn't necessarily "perfect", but he was a righteous man who followed the Lord.

Regards,

Thankyou For Your Answer .