Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bible Questions

Apostle

I have asked this question before in other topics, Why did od put the tree of knowledge there and say dont? Was it a test and if they passed they would have all they cared for? Did satan have anything to do with the tempting? Always a pleasure

Very good question. It was not a test, it was simply put there so that they would have a choice to either obey God or not. Genesis 2:16-17 says,

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die."

If God would never have given them that choice then they would have been more like robots, with no other option but to obey God, but that's not what God wants. He wants your love given freely to Him.

Yes, satan had everything to do with the tempting. Genesis 3:1 says,

"Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden?'"

Later in Revelation 12:9 it says,

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world:he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

So we know that the devil was the one tempting Eve, he is the one who deceived Eve. Hope that helps.

~Apostle

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• Apostle

• Omnaka

• zandore

Your right. There are multiple contradictions in the bible ESPECIALLY in the gospel accounts. I will not point them all out but they are numerous and some are unresolvable outside the fact that there appears to be some differences in the oral traditions being passed down. The process of salvation has nothing to do with innerancy but is summed up in the epistles. Those that believe in the resurrection and that Jesus is Lord is saved, not believing that the word of God is innerant. This is equivalent of calling the bible the 4th person of the trinity (infallable). Innerancy, looking at a model of salvation, would be a protective shell surrounding salvation. If the shell is broken,you still have salvation through belief in the resurrection. If the resurrection didnt happen then the salvation portion of the model breaks and as paul says "your preaching is in vain and your still in your sins". One thing that is certain though, as far as agreement goes with the gospels is the fact that jesus died on a cross, was buried, there was an empty tomb, and the disciples thought they seen the risen jesus. Whether or not this really happened is another discussion.

Hairston

I'll give it to you that there are seemingly contradictions, though many that I've heard is just ignorance, however, many can be solved with study. So if you present some I will get people together to give the most accurate explanation possible. I would love to do this.

~Apostle

Hairston

Also, in regards to apostles claim of Jesus being 100% man and 100%. This idea derives from the debates of christians from around Jesus time. Christians never 100% agreed on either side so it appears that a happy medium was established, though this doesnt mean that Apostle is wrong.

I did say that Christians have misunderstandings about the Bible. The fact that Jesus is 100% man and 100% God is Biblical here are some example.

Isaiah 9:6-7

"6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this."

Micah 5:2-3 (quoted in Matt. 2:6)

2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times."

3 Therefore Israel will be abandoned until the time when she who is in labor gives birth and the rest of his brothers return to join the Israelites."

John 1:1-3, 14

"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 He was with God in the beginning.

3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

He was a man born of a virgin. Yet, he was God made flesh; made human.

Philippians 2:5-11

"5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Jesus is God and man.

Colossians 1:13-23

"13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,

14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him,

20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.

22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation--

23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

Here again, Jesus is God (v. 19) and Jesus is man (v.22).

Source:http://www.probe.org/content/view/284/

~Apostle

Very good question. It was not a test, it was simply put there so that they would have a choice to either obey God or not. Genesis 2:16-17 says,

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die."

If God would never have given them that choice then they would have been more like robots, with no other option but to obey God, but that's not what God wants. He wants your love given freely to Him.

Yes, satan had everything to do with the tempting. Genesis 3:1 says,

"Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden?'"

Later in Revelation 12:9 it says,

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world:he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

So we know that the devil was the one tempting Eve, he is the one who deceived Eve. Hope that helps.

~Apostle

Thanks for the answer Apostle, Now where are the one third of heaven that got thrown out, Satans angels, Fallen angels, Always a pleasure

Edited by sandee

"Why did God not like Cain's vegetable sacrifice but loved Abel's cooked meat?"

The smell. Same thing happened with Noah, the smell. God smelled the sweet savour and said to Noah, 'I will not again destroy man as I have done.'

But, you look elsewhere in the bible, God says He doesn't want sacrifice. So that might point to Satan being the god of this world.

Also, is there really magic? When Moses and Joshua were trying to get their people out of Egypt, they had to use a lot of miracles from God such as turning water into blood and turning a rod into a snake. However, it also says that the pharaoh was able to have his "magicians" produce similar results. I understand that the term "magician" could have been used loosely to include primitive chemists and whatnot, but is it possible that they were really able to use magic?

Ok, regarding your second question. First realize that Pharaoh's "Wise men (or enchanters) and sorcerers: the magicians of Egypt" (Exodus 7:11) could only cast down their rods to make them snakes in Exodus 7:12 (though Aaron's ate theirs), turn water into blood in Exodus 7:22 (though I would wonder why they wouldn't turn the blood back into water since they now had to go without water for 7 days), they could bring up frogs upon the land of Egypt in Exodus 8:7, but the first three plagues are the only ones they could do and the turning of the rods into snakes. They did so with their enchantments. And they say in Exodus 8:19,

"This is the finger of God"

The magicians are identified in Daniel 1:20 as scribes who acted as interpreters of omens, or revealers of secret things. (http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/magicians.html)

"In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom."

I am leaning towards that they only used tricks. The word "enchantment" could mean secret arts or tricks. source http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/enchantments.html

This is something I will study up on and get back to you at a later date. Thanks,

~Apostle

I've noticed that many people who are "Christians" have many misunderstandings of the Bible. If you are a Christian then one of your basics beliefs should be that the Bible is the Word of God. So, on this thread I will take any questions from anyone (Christian or other) to help those who may have been misinformed or just want more of an understanding. I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly and accurately. Objections are also welcome, anything really about the Bible.

~Apostle

OK I'm Game,Heres one Question. Does it say somewhere in the bible that if you commet suicide you go to hell? I know the answer but it has been said that when faced with someone giving answers to the Bible one should test the spirit of such person so you wont be tricked by the Devil,what is your stance on this.

Hey heres one ,The tree of Knoldege of good and Evil was placed in the garden with man and we ate of it,Did Satin eat of this tree before he was cast down to earth, and did he eat of the tree of life. :huh:

Thank you for the reply. Regarding the first commandment, let's look at the verse, Exodus 20:2-3

"I am the Lord your God, which have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out the house of bondage. 2 You shall have no other gods before me."

First he talks about Egypt. In Egypt they were polytheistic and the Israelites knew this. God is not implying that there are other gods (notice the little g). What he is saying is "I am God, I brought you out of Egypt with a mighty hand and I alone am God". The "gods" could be anything that is put before God. Video games, tv, work, sports, cars, friends, anything that is put as a priority over God is an idol, or a "god".

*boldened relevant quote*

I must disagree. The capitalisation of letters is an English convention and has nothing to do with the original Hebrew. The original says:

I am yehôvâh 'ĕlôhîym (the Lord your God). You shall have no other 'ĕlôhîym (gods) before me.

Note that the same word for "God" in the context of Lord your God, is the same word being translated as "gods" in the next verse. The reason it is capitalised in English is to distinguish the Lord God (yehôvâh 'ĕlôhîym) from false gods ('ĕlôhîym). That said, I did respond to this in a recent post on this thread, pointing to places such as Isaiah 2 to show how false gods are just that. All the best,

~ Regards, PA

I have asked this question before in other topics, Why did od put the tree of knowledge there and say dont? Was it a test and if they passed they would have all they cared for? Did satan have anything to do with the tempting? Always a pleasure
I don't think there's any biblical answer to this. We unfortunately do not get a reason WHY. My opinion then is that the tree was put there to show us today that even given the most basic of choices to live as God wants or doesn't want, humans will choose to disobey. It isn't that hard to not eat from a tree. Yet God said "don't", and humanity naturally turns around and wants to do it. To me, this shows how completely sinful humans are in continually balking at what God wants us to do.

but as I said, there is no answer in the Bible, so this is just my opinion and feel free to disagree :tu:

OK I'm Game,Heres one Question. Does it say somewhere in the bible that if you commet suicide you go to hell? I know the answer but it has been said that when faced with someone giving answers to the Bible one should test the spirit of such person so you wont be tricked by the Devil,what is your stance on this.
I can't actually think of a single point in the Bible where suicide is condemned or condoned. I guess you could make an argument that suicide is murdering yourself, and murder is a sin and therefore the Bible condemns suicide, but I do not think you will find a specific passage saying "Do not take your own life". I would agree (for various reasons that can be found in teh Bible) that suicide is something that should not be done though.

Hey heres one ,The tree of Knoldege of good and Evil was placed in the garden with man and we ate of it,Did Satin eat of this tree before he was cast down to earth, and did he eat of the tree of life. :huh:
The Bible doesn't say, and I don't even know where to begin on giving an opinion on this one.

I must disagree. The capitalisation of letters is an English convention and has nothing to do with the original Hebrew. The original says:

I am yehôvâh 'ĕlôhîym (the Lord your God). You shall have no other 'ĕlôhîym (gods) before me.

Note that the same word for "God" in the context of Lord your God, is the same word being translated as "gods" in the next verse. The reason it is capitalised in English is to distinguish the Lord God (yehôvâh 'ĕlôhîym) from false gods ('ĕlôhîym). That said, I did respond to this in a recent post on this thread, pointing to places such as Isaiah 2 to show how false gods are just that. All the best,

~ Regards, PA

It's interesting that you pointed out ELOHIM as being plural. Many xtians wouldn't do that. Any way back on topic, YHVH also has a meaning & it is essentially "to exist". Now I realize that YHVH is the proper name for the hebrew deity, but it actually points to an earlier religious system where multiple gods were worshipped. As an example YHVH ELOHIM roughly translates as "The existent gods". Another example is in teh first chapter of genesis where it states "God said, LET US make man in our image". There are quite a few examples throughout the old testement where it points to an earlier sumerian/babylonian theology. Also the root word for ELOHIM is the masculine plural version of the feminine root word ELOAH. With the masculine plural ending "IM", you essentially get "godesses & gods" (gods).

By the way yehova, yahweh, jehova, etc., etc., are mispronounciations of an unpronouncable name. YHVH may have had a true pronounciation at one time & josephus, I believe points that out. However, "jehova", et al., is YHVH with the vowel points of ADNI which is a substitution word that the jews used & still use to this day. The jews are responsible for the vowel points initially being used along with YHVH but they were to be a reminder that whenever the name of god poped up in scripture, to use the substitution ADNI when speaking in order to keep from blaspheming gods name.

Now that we have that out of the way, Would you please answer my question I asked earlier?

Is god infinite?

I understand my post was very small so i can easily see how you could have missed it.

Doktorhook

I can't actually think of a single point in the Bible where suicide is condemned or condoned. I guess you could make an argument that suicide is murdering yourself, and murder is a sin and therefore the Bible condemns suicide, but I do not think you will find a specific passage saying "Do not take your own life". I would agree (for various reasons that can be found in teh Bible) that suicide is something that should not be done though.

The Bible doesn't say, and I don't even know where to begin on giving an opinion on this one.

Actually I can shed some light on this. Though not biblical per se, the ancient jews, (at least the zealots), condemed suicide. THEY WERE NOT OPPOSED TO KILLING however just murder. The difference is in why you're killing. When the romans took masada, the plan the jews had hatched in case they were beaten was to kill each other so that they would not be taken. The sole survior was then to take his own life so that no one but him would commit such a grave sin.

~ Regards, PA

Alright, I stand corrected. Thank you very much for the insight, that's really cool.

~Apostle

Ooh, I've got a question!

"You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together." Leviticus 19:19

My question is... why?! Just... why? What logic could that possibly hold?

I'll give it to you that there are seemingly contradictions, though many that I've heard is just ignorance, however, many can be solved with study. So if you present some I will get people together to give the most accurate explanation possible. I would love to do this.

~Apostle

I would agree that some are of ignorance but then there are some that are almost impossible to reconcile. When was Jesus Crucified? The third hour in Mark or the six hour in John?. Did both theives revile Christ in matthew and mark? or did only one in Luke?. How many women went to the sepulchar? was it 1 in John or was it more than one in Matthew?. Was it sunrise when the two women went to the tomb as in Mark or was it still dark when only Mary Magdalene went as in Matthew?. Were there 2 angels seen at the tomb in Luke or were there 1 angel sitting down in Mark?. How many angels were in this sepulchar?. Was it 2 as in John or 1 as in Mark?

These are a few but definitely bring the question as to whether we can completely say these are historical accounts. I, by faith, believe the bible and I believe that Jesus rose from the dead, but I must add that its very difficult to completely reconcile the gospels historically because of the contradictions. I believe that the story happened very similar to what is proclaimed regardless of the errors as I do not see innerancy having to do with ANYTHING regarding salvation. This is not an attempt to discredit christianity but I must say that its becoming apparent that its difficult to say that they are completely historical accounts, especially if they disagree.

Kindly,

Hairston

Edited by hairston630

Ill take a shot. I am a christian but I would still like to ask a question I have myself. Why, in the gospels, do we have Jesus mentioning to "take up your cross" prior to the disciples and others actually KNOWING that he was to die by crucifixion or even before he took up his own cross? Why would the writers put this phrase before the crucifixion when the people had no idea what "take up your cross" meant?

Hairston

Matthew 16:21 and 24

"21 From that time forth began Jesus to show to his disciples, how that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day... 24 Then said Jesus to his disciples, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me."

The disciples certainly knew what taking up their cross meant; it meant the most horrible death at that time. The disciples didn't know that that was how Jesus was going to be crucified and that's what he was trying to show them. The writers didn't place this before the crucifixion, that was when Jesus said it; in other words that is when it actually happened. It goes on to say in verse 25 & 26,

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

This also teaches a very important message.

~Apostle

???

God is not a man, that he should lie: neither the son of man,

that he should repent.

- Numbers 23:19

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his

people.

- Exodus 32:14

so , does God repent ?

and if all goes according to God's plan . that God is all knowing and powerful . that God is perfect and

Isaiah 45:7:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things

this would mean God made sin to serve Gods perfect purpose - hence no sin. all happens according to Gods will.

or isn't God perfect. ?

and God , being perfect , could never feel jealous. that roots from fear. insecurity. Being a perfect God God would know there is nothing to jealous of since all Goes according to Gods will. that is if you believe God is perfect.

Why, if Brother Jesus said, That none is good but the Father, do some christians believe Jesus is God?

Do they think he was talking about himself?

Or maybe that He meant none is Good but The father and Myself?

What do you think He Meant.

Iam one with My Father also, but I am not good like Father is while incarnate.

Darn Body and it's Ego, constantly messin my perfect love up.

Love Omnaka

Why, if Brother Jesus said, That none is good but the Father, do some christians believe Jesus is God?

Do they think he was talking about himself?

Or maybe that He meant none is Good but The father and Myself?

What do you think He Meant.

Iam one with My Father also, but I am not good like Father is while incarnate.

Darn Body and it's Ego, constantly messin my perfect love up.

Love Omnaka

"but I am not good like Father is while incarnate."

I think this probably answers the question why Jesus said what he said.

Hairston

Hi Apostle, What about the fallen angels? Always a pleasure

( I know I am a pest :D )

Ooh, I've got a question!

"You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together." Leviticus 19:19

My question is... why?! Just... why? What logic could that possibly hold?

Well, the best picture comes from the garments. The Israelites were not to mix 2 kinds of material. The KJV says, "neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon you."

This involves the mixing of animal products and fibers from a vegetable product. This would make a poor material. I guess the basic purpose is to say purchase the best quality you can afford. Also, pure breeds are considered higher quality. Source: http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction...1/eVerseID/3301

~Apostle

Well, the best picture comes from the garments. The Israelites were not to mix 2 kinds of material. The KJV says, "neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon you."

This involves the mixing of animal products and fibers from a vegetable product. This would make a poor material. I guess the basic purpose is to say purchase the best quality you can afford. Also, pure breeds are considered higher quality. Source: http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction...1/eVerseID/3301

~Apostle

Interesting, thanks. Following on from this, why do no Christians abide by this command in the current day and age? What makes it less important then other commands in the bible?

~Apostle

I'll bet Josephs Coat of Many colors was Mixed Material, or maybe it was Just dyed Many colors, Ancient Tye dye.

Love Omnaka

I've noticed that many people who are "Christians" have many misunderstandings of the Bible. If you are a Christian then one of your basics beliefs should be that the Bible is the Word of God. So, on this thread I will take any questions from anyone (Christian or other) to help those who may have been misinformed or just want more of an understanding. I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly and accurately. Objections are also welcome, anything really about the Bible.

~Apostle

<<>> Who was Methuselah? And what man is still alive that is 5,551 years old?........ Joey