Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby with abnormal features deified in Jharkhand

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
Submitted by Peace Crusader: A girl born with three eyes and two noses has been attracting hordes of people who believe her to be an incarnation of Hindu god Shiva. The birth of the 'wonder girl' in Angara block of Ranchi created quite a stir last week with villagers queuing up for a glimpse of the baby.

'People from far-flung areas are coming for a glimpse of my daughter.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: RXPG news

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Siara

• Peace Crusader

• Koala Pot

• Harriet The Ripperologist

Are the parents of monotheistic beliefs?

TeraLink Was Here!

I was just thinking the same thing! i wanted to see some pics! :lol:

no pictures?

How can you not have pictures!? This topic needs pictures! I'll go dig some up if I can to bring back to you guys.

I couldn't hunt up any pictures, someone else may be lucky, but the poor baby....While looking on the net, I came across other stories of babies who were born with four eyes, two mouths, etc...Unfortunately, some don't make it......sad

My Dear Fellowmen,

There are at least three websites citing the news report. These are those websites:

http://www.rxpgnews.com/medicalnews/Baby-w...and_83897.shtml (RxPG – Medical News Channel)

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Jan182...08011747226.asp

http://witchyb****.wordpress.com/2008/01/1...ation-of-shiva/

India: Girl Born with Three Eyes, Two Noses Called Incarnation of Shiva

The headlines may have varied but the body is still the same. I have not seen any picture yet. Is money being negotiated?

Best regards,

Peace Crusader

My Dear Fellowmen,

The city of Ranchi, India where this birth of a baby girl with three eyes occurred is located some 300 km west of Calcutta.

There's another news of the birth of a piglet born with three eyes (with a picture). It was reported by The Daily Mail of Great Britain on 2008 January 22.

The link is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

For your information.

Best regards,

Peace Crusader and Echo

Sometimes I wonder... is there anything important in the Hindu tradition? It's been around for 5,000 years. There must be some big truth in it. Then I read a story about them worshiping kids with horrible birth defects. These stories strike me as pathetic and barbaric and it makes me lose any confidence I had in their tradition.

A while ago a kid was born attached to a headless conjoined twin. They worshiped that kid too, because it had multiple arms. Yuck.

Having said that... that poor, poor baby. How awful.

I couldn't find it either, but I found this: Bill Durks

Thanks for the pic. It gives me an idea of the baby. Im surprised he lived - by the pic he doesnt look like a toddler or anything.

I have to agree with the Hindu remarks about them worshipping oddities and how strange that is, of course it seems in this day and age some people run from facing people with defects like this. Maybe we can learn something from the hindu's after all?

Some societys would have killed the child for being defective at least in this culture she will be worshiped and adored, so there is a silver lining for her.

Sometimes I wonder... is there anything important in the Hindu tradition? It's been around for 5,000 years. There must be some big truth in it. Then I read a story about them worshiping kids with horrible birth defects. These stories strike me as pathetic and barbaric and it makes me lose any confidence I had in their tradition.

A while ago a kid was born attached to a headless conjoined twin. They worshiped that kid too, because it had multiple arms. Yuck.

Having said that... that poor, poor baby. How awful.

There's nothing in any of the major Hindu texts that encourages the worship of deformed children. Because of a strong tradition of gods incarnating onto the earth in the form men, though, many of the poorest and least educated Indians take to worshipping these poor kids who somewhat resemble their gods. Not all Hindus do this, and it's clearly not part of their religion. Maybe you should read up some more on their faith, eh? It's certainly no less valid than any of the Abrahamic religions.

Edited by Randy123

There's nothing in any of the major Hindu texts that encourages the worship of deformed children. Because of a strong tradition of gods incarnating onto the earth in the form men, though, many of the poorest and least educated Indians take to worshipping these poor kids who somewhat resemble their gods. Not all Hindus do this, and it's clearly not part of their religion. Maybe you should read up some more on their faith, eh? It's certainly no less valid than any of the Abrahamic religions.

Yeah, it has more to do with the people being uneducated than the religion being ridiculous. The religion is actually quite peaceful, similar to Christianity in many ways. It only seems barbaric when you factor in the rest of the culture.

And I saw the article on that 8-legged kid, the poor girl. Did she survive the surgery?

I guess I expressed myself poorly. I didn't mean to imply that Hindu was less valid than the Abrahamic religions.

I guess what I meant to say is that when crowds of people mistake a kid with a headless conjoined twin for Shiva because both have four arms, their religion is not functioning well. The villagers in these situations tend to hassle the parents who try to get corrective surgery for their kids. This really bothers me-- not because the worshipers are, in this case, Hindu but because as so often seems to happen with organized religion a suffering person is being dehumanized and turned into a symbol.

I hate it when Christians, Jews, and Muslims do this too. It especially bothers me when they impose their beliefs on a family that's suffering a personal tragedy. Sorry. It just REALLY BOTHERS ME.

Edited to add that I have lost respect for all religious sects that do this. Part of the job of a religious tradition is to educate its followers not to drastically distort its scriptures.

Edited by Siara

• 1 month later...
linked-imageSubmitted by Peace Crusader: A girl born with three eyes and two noses has been attracting hordes of people who believe her to be an incarnation of Hindu god Shiva. The birth of the 'wonder girl' in Angara block of Ranchi created quite a stir last week with villagers queuing up for a glimpse of the baby. 'People from far-flung areas are coming for a glimpse of my daughter. Why has god played such a cruel joke with me by giving me a daughter with abnormal features,' rued Sukhlal Mahto, the girl's father. Though her two eyes appear to be normal, she has a third eye in the middle of two noses. But she has not opened her third eye yet, Shuklal said. 'Even Lord Shiva did not open his third eye regularly. Shiva opened it once to destroy someone,' said Mahesh Mahto, a villager.

Drawn by the belief that she is an incarnation of Shiva, the villagers visit Sukhlal's house every day with garlands and incense sticks to worship the girl. 'It is a case of a genetic disorder,' said Manish Kumar, a general physician.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: RXPG news

Pictures please ?

• 2 weeks later...

Although it has to be incredibly hard on the baby's family, I am glad to hear that the local vilagers have decided to embrace this child rather than taking another option. I hope everything goes well for the child, and also- considering the Hindu religion HAS been around for so long- I am surprised to see that more people arent open to the idea that the child COULD be Shiva reincarnated- its not so hard for many to believe that Jesus will rise again, or that we are expect the appearance of the Anti- christ at anytime- so I guess I just think that maybe people should have an open mind- but as long as the baby is taken care of first and foremost- thats all that really matters. i hope that she is doing well.

• 3 years later...

hindus worship childrens because they are pure and without sin and they also believe that god is always with the ones who are pure

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully she will at least be able to eke out a life due to her notoriety...how sad for this child :no: