Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leopards in america

jakeman

In arizona there have been reports of big cats roaming around. When most people thought of big cats they thought of a mountain lion. Local farmers claim that livestock have been slaughtered by something. The state sent the state conservation unit to investigate. They found nothing for days. So the unit decide to set out camera traps. The camera traps had a good chance of finding what was killing the local livestock. So the unit put fresh meat and left it there for a couple days. When they went back to check it there were a couple things. Coyote, puma, and something they didnt expect. A south american leopard/ It's been along known fact that leopards can make there way from south america to mexico, and in some rare incidents america. Since the leopards have mad no formal threat to people they have decided to allow them to stay and since the population hasnt been noticable they arent taking any formal actions to it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Incorrigible1

• glorybebe

• ~Cheese~

You're evidently referring to the jaguar. You never post any link or any verification. You never discuss anything you post.

*snip*

Edited by Magikman
Removed crude comments. Keep your responses civil please, Incorrigible1

Bah, another thread from you? Why do you bother with these topics? >.<....... Oh well.. back on Topic..

it's black Jaguars that are here mostly, There have been some very rare cases of a Black leopard because they are Let loose / Escape from captivity.. And that is the ONLY reason they are here.

Yes, there are definitely jaguars here in KY. I've talked to tons of people that have seen them. My aunt and her husband spotlighted one in the field behind their house, at a distance of about 90+ feet. I haven't been to their house in a long time, and forget just how long the field is, but it really is quite small for a soy bean field. But, they had heard commotion from their dogs, went outside, and took a spotlight and saw what they described as a giant black cat, about as big as a German Shepard, walking along the brush line. They also said for a few weeks after that they heard "kittens" mewling outside their bedroom window. They live in Pulaski County, a south central county. After that, I talked to a cousin-in-law (I guess?), and he said that he was driving a rural road to Berea (several miles away, a good forty minute drive if you're lucky, from my aunt's house), and saw two big black cats eating road kill in the middle of the road. When he drove up, they slowly got out of the way, and when he drove past, he noticed them move back to the kill. I have also talked to a friend who said he was chased by one when riding his four wheeler, but I don't know how reliable his story is. The other two, however, were being completely honest; I've never known them to ever tell lies, especially like that, before. So, I'm a firm believer that there are jaguars in America, I don't really know what's so hard to believe about that.

Yes, there are definitely jaguars here in KY.

There are reports of "black panthers" across the country, and in other odd places, the UK, for instance. This is a puzzling phenomenon. If, as you say, there were jaguars in KY, why aren't there any spotted varieties reported?

There are reports of "black panthers" across the country, and in other odd places, the UK, for instance. This is a puzzling phenomenon. If, as you say, there were jaguars in KY, why aren't there any spotted varieties reported?

I would think the spotted ones. Are hard to see due to there spotts.

why aren't there any spotted varieties reported?

emmm maybe because nobody has reported any sightings,if any at all :huh:

I don't know why there hasn't been a variety of reported colorations and markings, I don't gather research and evidence, I've just been told the stories. But from the amount of stories, and the description in those stories, it's hard not to believe. I actually went out into the field a few days after they saw the panther/jaguar (my aunt described it as being a panther, she called it a panther, but I don't really know, it could be either, they're not entirely different. If they're seeing panthers, then that would explain the lack of spots, but what are the chances that KY is overrun in black panthers? Or, black jaguars for that matter, I guess. It is puzzling, but there's not much mystery to it; they're here, the only thing to find out is how), and found tracks. Not dog tracks, there were no claw indentations in the soil, and it was much bigger than their largest dog's pads. I definitely believe my aunt and uncle saw a giant black cat, there's no doubt in my mind. Panther, jaguar, black puma, whatever it was.

I don't know why there hasn't been a variety of reported colorations and markings, I don't gather research and evidence, I've just been told the stories. But from the amount of stories, and the description in those stories, it's hard not to believe. I actually went out into the field a few days after they saw the panther/jaguar (my aunt described it as being a panther, she called it a panther, but I don't really know, it could be either, they're not entirely different. If they're seeing panthers, then that would explain the lack of spots, but what are the chances that KY is overrun in black panthers? Or, black jaguars for that matter, I guess. It is puzzling, but there's not much mystery to it; they're here, the only thing to find out is how), and found tracks. Not dog tracks, there were no claw indentations in the soil, and it was much bigger than their largest dog's pads. I definitely believe my aunt and uncle saw a giant black cat, there's no doubt in my mind. Panther, jaguar, black puma, whatever it was.

Any of the big cats that are black are called panthers. Cougars/pumas can be called black panthers also.

The black panther is the common name for a black (melanistic) color variant of any of several species of cat. Zoologically speaking, the term panther is synonymous with "large cat". The genus name Panthera is a taxonomic category that includes several species of felids including the lion, tiger, leopard and jaguar. However, in North America, the term panther is commonly used for the cougar (genus Puma) while in Latin America it is most often used to mean a jaguar. Elsewhere in the world it refers to the leopard.
from Wiki.

What I wonder is what the animals would look like if the Cougars and Jaguars crossed, I would assume that they would have different markings, and maybe that would be an explanation for so many black cats being reported.

I'd only thought pumas were called black panthers. x3 At least, that's what most people refer to when using panther. I'm just an uneducated hick. :lol:

Who knows what you'd get... but I imagine you'd get a sort of liger effect. A large cat, dull spots, tan/yellow body, unless the jaguar was black, and passed those genes on. I still imagine you'd get a variation of spotting, but the color of the fur would be considerably darker, possibly even black, but there would still be darker/lighter shades producing spots.

I did a small search, and I guess this would be a good result of what would happen:

linked-image

linked-image

OH wow.. I just saw the Monster Quest episode about this topic..

Edited by ~Cheese~

I hate that show. :/ They're trying to be scientific, but they're... not doing anything sensible. For example, the episode about the mutant dogs. The corpse of the dog that was photographed had big bug eyes, and a short snout, and the researchers were assuming that those features were prominent when the dog was alive. However, it was dead, and when things die... well, the skin is pulled tight due to bloating, and their eyes will bulge, and their bones and muscles will become more noticeable. If you ask me, they're just trying to make things sound mysterious when they're really not. It was a stray dog, that's all it was.

IMO, there was nothing special on their episode about "lions in the suburbs". They didn't prove anything, they barely shared anything worth sharing. :/

I hate that show. :/ They're trying to be scientific, but they're... not doing anything sensible. For example, the episode about the mutant dogs. The corpse of the dog that was photographed had big bug eyes, and a short snout, and the researchers were assuming that those features were prominent when the dog was alive. However, it was dead, and when things die... well, the skin is pulled tight due to bloating, and their eyes will bulge, and their bones and muscles will become more noticeable. If you ask me, they're just trying to make things sound mysterious when they're really not. It was a stray dog, that's all it was.

IMO, there was nothing special on their episode about "lions in the suburbs". They didn't prove anything, they barely shared anything worth sharing. :/

I agree. The only episode that I enjoyed was the Rod.

All due respect, but it seemed to me they demonstrated the spate of "black panther" sightings across the US (my state included) are most likely due to house cats spotted in situations without any other objects by which to judge their size.

BTW, cougars/mountain lions don't (or nearly nonexistent) have a melanistic phase. I'm profoundly interested in the phenomenon of all the ABC Alien Big Cat sightings around the USA, but don't place much store in the rumors.

Grissy, in KY have any black panther bodies been recovered?

All due respect, but it seemed to me they demonstrated the spate of "black panther" sightings across the US (my state included) are most likely due to house cats spotted in situations without any other objects by which to judge their size.

BTW, cougars/mountain lions don't (or nearly nonexistent) have a melanistic phase. I'm profoundly interested in the phenomenon of all the ABC Alien Big Cat sightings around the USA, but don't place much store in the rumors.

Grissy, in KY have any black panther bodies been recovered?

You're right, that is what Wiki said, but there have been reports of Bobcats that are black. Quite interesting.

True, it did, but I still can't think of anything I learned from that show. It's so misleading. "Oh! We're going to talk to you about big black cats today, and we have footage and pictures and all sorts of stuff we're going to send to researchers. :D We're going to find out the answers! Bet you can't wait to hear them, can you? WELL! We don't know a thing."

Anyway, it's very, very rare for a puma to come out black, but it's possible. One in a... very large number. I don't have a source, but I remember seeing it somewhere. I'll try to come up with that.

But no, there haven't been any specimens that I'm aware of. I imagine if any bones were found, they would be assumed to be a cougar's, but as far as newly discovered dead bodies of a large black cat... Sorry. :/

The only ABC sightings I think are truly "mysterious" are the ones in the UK, because there are not any large predators located on the isles. I imagine it's possible some have escaped being killed, and have remained undetected or escaped from homes--as exotic pets--or zoos, but it's just weird I guess. -Shrug-

Not so sure about the black cats....but here are a few articles including picture evidence of recent Jaguar visits in the US

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3D10%26hl%3Den

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3D10%26hl%3Den

Hope the links work

-Red-

There's a snow leopard in my backyard right now.

No really.

Ha, ha. One of the most reclusive mammals on the globe, barely even filmed to this day. Hilarious.