Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreams - can't run

Mad Manfred

Heyas,

Just out of curiosity...what's with dreams where you can't run from whatever is after you?

I've had a handful of dreams (months apart) where I'm running from an unknown would-be assailant and my thighs just won't cooperate...they just feel super weak...like, I can barely stand they're so weak.

Whatcha think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitelight

• trickyhomunculi

• (Moonlight)

• Rolci

Greetings Manfred.

If ever there was an illustration that dream elements do not work by "one for one" substitutions (as in dreaming of orange juice means you are afraid of squirrels), inability to escape is right up there with being naked in public :) .

It would help the discussion, then, if you posted as much about the dreams as you remember.

Standard advice: Please consider keeping a dream log or journal. Also, whatever happens in this thread, nobody can "interpret" anyone else's dream. All that can ever be said by someone else is what similar dreams have meant to other people who have dreamt them.

(Example: when Paris Hilton dreams of being naked in public, it just ain't the same as when Hilary Clinton dreams "the same thing.")

I have had many of those dreams. Although to me I can only run in slow motion. And that's slower than walking. My nan says that when you have those kinds of dreams, it means being unable to escape from something. Although like eight bits said, it could mean any number of things, or simply nothing at all. It's impossible to interpret like this.

And I don't think that this is true for my dreams anyway. I've got nothing to escape from at the moment. I'm sure.

I hate when that happens. I've also had a few dreams were I got into a punching fight and it was the same way, like your under water.

Being able to run in slow-motion in dreams is perfectly normal and the rarer kind if when you can run at normal speed. Running in SM is a typical dream-sign, which can help you realize it's a dream and switch to LD, once you've set up your mind to recognizing DS's. Other than that, I don't think it means anything. If you think it has in implication on your life and you change that aspect of your life, do you think all of a sudden you won't dream running in SM again?

Heyas,

Just out of curiosity...what's with dreams where you can't run from whatever is after you?

I've had a handful of dreams (months apart) where I'm running from an unknown would-be assailant and my thighs just won't cooperate...they just feel super weak...like, I can barely stand they're so weak.

Whatcha think?

ive had that soooo many times in my dreams, if F'n r******ed.

i havent figured out why either. i usually end up having to Crawl around in the dream at times, if i try to run.

OH I hate those dreams!! For me it was anxiety or stress. I'd be in the middle of the road crossing the street, a car would be coming and I couldn't seem to get to the other side. Thankfully I don't have them anymore.

If only I could stop the going to school naked dreams lol :P

• 1 month later...

I've had a few of those,I hate those dreams!I feel week and heavy.Also i've had dreams where I can fly,but i'm extreamly slow.I think I have those when i'm under too much stress from the day or something.

I've had dreams like that too.

I use to have one where I was coming home from school on the bus. When the bus stopped for me to get off, I would stand up and start walking down the aisle. As I walked down the aisle thoughm I moved in slow motion. It wasn't just like watching it in slow motion though. It was as if I was really in the situation and for whatever reason my body wouldn't cooperate. It was almost as if a force was stopping me and causing me to move slowly, like my body was fighting against me.

I've also had the one where I'm in a fight, but when I go to throw a punch my hand would either go in slow motion or I would completely miss my target, as if I didn't possess the coordination needed to make a fist and land a punch. Definately weird feelings to have while you are dreaming.

Edited by Left Field

<_< especially when your tryin to get away from zombies... and you hafta pull yourself along the ground.. cause your too heavy like to run. i gotta practice my flyin tho.... right now i jus seem to jump couple times, then fly a bit and jus kinda hoover not but 4ft off the ground. lol!

Heyas,

Whatcha think?

Of course, much of the Human Mind is a mystery. But, in the shows I've seen concerning Sleep and Dreams; most think that this is due to the areas that control motor-function being in the sub-conscious state. Simply put, the areas of the brain that coordinate muscle movement are 'asleep'. So, when the brain wants you to do something in a dream, and these areas are 'accessed' for their input, there's a signal-drop, you might say.

Many complain of this. Not being able to do simple tasks in a dream. I hate it when say, I dream about a tasty drink, and I know it's good. But, can't seem to grasp the glass, and move it.

Heyas,

Whatcha think?

i find its very hard to run in any sort of dream, but easier to float, when im more in control than usual

i once had a dream where i jumped 30/40 metres into the air and got stuck, as i couldnt work out how to get back down.

I've experienced the same thing but instead of running I can't punch, kick, or fight with any power behind it.

Edited by Breakbeat

Heyas,

Whatcha think?

its an inner feeling of confusion or indecision over something u need to do or have done. could even be over a choice of which sandwich to get out of the vender. its all simple, and i'm afraid to say, mundane.

No, u are not going to be unable to run from the cloverfield monster. u will do... when it hits ur shore.. he he he he he.

love Min ***

Heyas,

Whatcha think?

astral projection more likely or a past life memory or even training that you undertake in the astral plane. (Provided that this type of beliefs do not overlap with your religious practices or ideals).

On another note im not sure if you a native english speaker but it would be better if you use plain and simple english, and not stuff like 'Whatcha think' or 'Heyas' as they give me an eyesore.......sorry...

sas x :)

Edited by saturnian flame

well it could be a sign of something in real life. as in maybe you can't escape your past or something lol. your stuck somewhere you can't get out of

What I've always wondered is what's wrong with me. I usually remember dreams from every night, and I can control them.

If I don't like a certain person showing up in a dream at a certain moment, I'll "cast" someone else in that role. I can't be killed. I fall off buildings and hit the ground all the time.

The only difficulty I've ever had was a dream where I was being *AHEM* friendly with a girl I know, and wanted to recast it, but it kept turning back into her. Other than that, I don't recall ever having what you would call a nightmare. I even have a queue of dreams lined up that I can run like a DVD that I can change the characters and details about the action. Just depends on what mood I'm in whether I control the dream or just watch and let it happen. BTW, I always know I'm asleep, too.

• 4 years later...

I sometimes see dreams like that when I am running from someone/something and it is faster than me as I feel myself slow and unable to run from it.

Last night I saw such a dream. I ran away from my school and their was a guy who cased me, I managed to get away once shakes his hand off me and ran but then he chased me and almost got me as I was not able to run. I was slow. Not able to run.

In my life I guess it's sign for me as I travelled once to Cyprus & came back. First shake off. Now a days I am struggling not to go there again and Decision is tough. I think it got me again.

The easy explanation is the brain and body disconnect while you sleep. If you could punch will full speed and power while you slept you could very well awake to a dead and bloody wife. You are near the point of waking but the brain won't give you control over your body.