Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Demons

Nxt2Hvn

Didn't know where to actually put this... any Mod out there .. please move to appropriate spot.

I know some of these have been posted here before... but not with detailed information.

I have always been interested in demons... or possession. (That explaines why I watched the Exorsist so many times... w00t.gifwacko.gif )

Anyway.. I found this interesting... I didn't realize that there were so many named demons and that each one was has a specific duty.

List of Demons

Acham - the demon of Thursday.

Alrinach - demon of shipwrecks.

Alocer - demon in astrology.

Any - the presiding demon of Hell.

Anamalech - the demon of bad news.

Andras - the demon of discord.

Aquiel - the demon of Sunday.

Arachula - evil spirit in the air.

Ardad - demon that leads travelers astray.

Ascaroth - demon of spies and informers.

Asmodeus.

Astaroth - one of the Chief Devils, sometimes spelled as Ashtaroth.

Astarte is its female.

Baal - one of the Great Demons. Also given as Baalim.

Bechard - the demon of tempests.

Bechet - the demon of Friday.

Behemoth - the demon of animal strength.

Belial - demon of the Sidonians.

Beelzebub - one of the Princes of Hell. Also given as Beelzeboul.

Belphegor.

Braathwaate - demon of Ignorance.

Bucon - the demon of Hatred.

Byleth - one of the Kings of Hell.

Cheitan - demon born of Smoke.

Chemos

Lanithro - demon of the air.

Leviathan.

Lucifer - "Light-bearer."

Mammon.

Mastiphal - one of the Princes of Darkness.

Moloch

Saalah - demon that entices into the woods.

Satan.

Tenebrion - Spirit of Darkness.

Verdelet - demon who carries witches to Sabbath.

and this is interesting too:

Correspondence of Demons to the Seven Deadly Sins(According to Peter Binsfield, a Jesuit, 1589)

Lucifer - Pride

Mammon - Avarice

Asmodeus - Lust

Satan - Anger

Beelzebub - Gluttony

Leviathan - Envy

Belphegor - Vanity and Sloth

I wonder how demons got their names and what they stand for?

Anybody else know?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• DrStrangelove

• Urielsfire

• Chris_com28

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet the devil has an Org chart on his wall...right underneath the phone extension list for all of the demons...Just to the left of his "Successories" Poster of Determination.

tongue.gif

lamo, i have this very strang pic of the Devil Exe. Assiant sitting at her desk making a database of these their names. wink2.gif

I guess demon get their name same way angle do, very bored clergy people.

I believe in demons, but I've never bought the idea that each one has it's own duty.

On another note, I believe that Satan/Lucifer/Beelzebub/the Devil are one in the same. And I believe that he used the alias of Baal and Astaroth (or Ashstar) to get pagan worship.

Some demons were once "pagan" gods which got "demonized" by Christianity.

For example, Astaroth is really the fertility goddess Astarte.

The goddess Belila became the male devil/demon called Belial.

Belphegor is a demon of inventions although he always appear in the form of a young woman.

There are thousands of demons if you delve into Demonology.

Lucifer wasn't a demon nor devil. Lucifer was an angel. In fact he was the most beautiful angel of all and he was called the angel of light; that was until he want'ed to be like God and lead a rebellion of angels.

Lucifer wasn't a demon nor devil. Lucifer was an angel. In fact he was the most beautiful angel of all and he was called the angel of light; that was until he want'ed to be like God and lead a rebellion of angels.

Yes, I believe that too. Lucifer was once the most beautiful of angels, until he wanted to become like God and he rebelled and was thrown out of Heaven. Then he became Satan/Devil/Beelzebub. I believe he can still make himself look like how he used to look (Lucifer) to decieve.

Beezlebub?

Kinda hard to take a dark overlord serioulsy with a name like that. blink.gif

all hail Beezlebub ,the lord of hell and death and all that is evil!

*chokes back laughter*

*makes sure that, if she ever ends up in hell, she'll have a rolled up newspaper ready to let him have it tongue.gif*

On a sidenote...

that was until he want'ed to be like God and lead a rebellion of angels.

There seems to be a divided opinion on the matter and, not trying to start up a debate, or whether or not I think the story's true (heck, you all know I don't, but I'll humour you tongue.gif) I'd like to get a proper take on the subject...

In the story, did Lucifer actually rebel against God in order to become his replacement, or was he attempting to be god's equal? Some say the former, some say the latter, and I'm hoping someone can help me confirm a theory tongue.gif

Nice list Nxt2hvn...where did you get this?

I once had a dictionnary about this...but I wasn't feeling at ease to have bought it then I threw it to the garbage...

That's maybe because as I've always been interessed in mythologies and demons are, in a way, a mythology, I wanted this book to tackle the topic with a subjective view, by an historian for example, then I realized it wasn't really the case and the writers seemed to have some insane fascination toward demons and human hell punishments.

Lucifer was banned from haeven because he wanted to be equal with God.

Has for the name Beezlebub is it the same as Belzebute ?

And a lot of demon were old divinity. Baal is even in the old testament, when Moise went to get the 10 Commandements (sorry it's writen in French), the rest of the people made a cow in gold and danse around it praying Baal. And in other part of the Bible (sorry, I can't remerber, I don't have a Bible at work) !

I read somewhere that the names of Angels and Demons are actually titles, and not names at all. So in order to contact or control them you would actually have to learn their "true name". As for each Angel or Demon having its own area of interest, well, lets just say it's not the craziest thing I've heard come out of Christianity.

Lucifer was banned from haeven because he wanted to be equal with God.

I thought he was kicked out because he questioned God's opinions of punishment and morality?

Verdelet - demon who carries witches to Sabbath.

Lol...that's my favourite one. "Faster, Verdelet. faster...I'm going to be late for the the orgie!"

So were's the demon of the mind? That's the only demon that I believe in. devil.gif

Hmmm...I guess they do have titles after all:

Who'd of guessed that they would be and LLC? I would have guessed that they had incorperated by now...

post-54-1075928020.jpg

I once had a dictionnary about this...but I wasn't feeling at ease to have bought it then I threw it to the garbage...

That's probably what I would do. I don't think demonology is the safest of studies.

So in order to contact or control them you would actually have to learn their "true name".

No human can control a demon.

I thought he was kicked out because he questioned God's opinions of punishment and morality?

How can one question God's opinions? God's opinions are right no matter what. Besides morality isn't up to ones own opinion. Morality is morality.

Lol, I love the business card thing fluffybunny! I think it'd be even better to see it as an actual realistic/simplistic style business card though lol.

The first version I had had kittens on it...do you think that would have worked better?

How can one question God's opinions?

It's simpler than you think. Are you talking about Christ because I've done that a bit. It's easy and I'm sure an angel (especially one capable of "falling") would have no trouble doing it. The key is to look for ideas that contradict your own. thumbsup.gif

You ask me how I can question God's opinons...I ask you how God can question my opinions! sasmokin.gif

God's opinions are right no matter what.

They may be right but it doesn't mean that people can't question them, especially if they have no proof for them or they DISAGREE with them. Being human, it's very easy to disagree with someone who hasn't even explained his opinions to me.

An idiot may argue that -2 x -2 doesn't equal 4, even though it does. The same thing with disagreeing with God, but we aren't all idiots grin.gif

Okay guys.. let's not turn this into another religious debate!! w00t.gif

I don't want to get my a$$ chewed again! blink.gifwacko.gif

**For the recored... I am innocent this time... I only posted a demon role call and their titles!!***

whistling2.gifwhistling2.gif

demonology ? angels? why can't a topic about demons not turn into a religious debate? this is all very old and when someone makes it into one of these debates they dont get in trouble, the person who started the topic in general gets to hear about it due to the nature of the topic i'm not trying to start trouble or offend , i know that this is a touchy subject but can we please not turn a good topic into a religious debate?

Malik-In Arabic mythology he's a terrible angel who guards Hell. He is assisted by 19 sbires or guardians. In the Koran, sura 43, 77, Malik tells the wicked who appeal to him that they must remain in Hell forever because "they abhorred the truth when the truth was brought to them."[Rf. Hughes, A Dictionary of Islam; Jewish Encyclopedia, "Angelology"; Hastings, Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics IV, 618]

Well, no offense to Nxt2Hvn, but that list is far from complete. There are hundreds of demons listed in various religious texts. Not to mention that most religions allude to there being thousands (some say millions) more that aren't listed.