Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The magnetic Ouija Board and the Helix Master

UM-Bot

YO DOGGY, I TRIED TO REPEAT THIS PROCESS AND RECREATE THE SAME EFFECTS. MY PROBLEM IS, EITHER THE BISMUTH OR MAGNETS AIN'T KICKING. THE MAGNETS ARE RARE NEO WIT 36 POUNDS OF PULL FORCE. I COLLECTED BISMUTH FROM SHOT GUN SHELLS AND etc.... THEY CLAIM ITS 99.99 % BISMUTH.

YO MY QUESTION IS WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? THE BISMUTH HAS NOT REACTED WITH MY 36 POUND PULL FORCE MAGNETS,AND THEY ARE THE SIZE OF NICKELS AND WIDTH OF A PENNY.

DO U THINK THE BISMUTH IS FAKE OR THE MAGNETS ARE STILL TO WEAK. HOW CAN I ATTAIN LIFT OFF.

HIT ME UP / deazell@ymail.com

• 5 years later...

Dear Mr. Korczak,

I know that it has been about 6 years since you posted this, but I hope that you are still available for some conversation on this topic of the "magnetic Ouija Board" you developed. I had some ideas for a floating Ouija Board many years ago as an undergraduate, and formalized them a bit more as a post-grad. The closest I got to implementing a design was to buy about a $1000 worth of small, flat, sqaure neodynium magnets, but when positions of the magnets are all facing their polarity in one direction, they oppose each other so much that it would be impossible to glue them together. I inquired with the manufacturer about melting down my neodynium magnets and fusing them into a solid, flat, round board shape with the axis of polarity facing perpendicular to the horizontal orientation of the board, but was told that this would cost many thousands of dollars that I didn't have. I can't do it on my own either, as the melting point of neodynium is extremely high (I think around 1000C or so). That crushed this idea, so I'm working on another one involving placing the neodynium squares in a checkerboard fashion with relationship to their polarities to one another and then using a planchette made of pyrolytic graphite which has excellent diamagnetic properties (better than Bismuth). However, in case this doesn't work, I'd like to investigate the possibility of using a round bismuth board (perhaps 1cm thick by 45cm wide) and a balsa wood planchette with some of my lightweight neodynium magnets glued to the bottom side of the planchette in order to exploit the diamagnetic effect in a slightly different way. What I'm worried about is the fact that bismuth is not exactly the cheapest material to buy, and the best price I've found for high-purity bismuth is $21.17 per pound. However, because bismuth has a weight similar to lead, it is very heavy, and a lot of pounds (about 71) would be required for a board with this particular volume. That puts the price at about $752. With the price at that level, it is prohibitively expensive for me to invest in without knowing that it will work reasonably well ahead of time. Therefore, I wanted to ask you about the functional mechanics of the board that you constructed. For instance, was actual planchette levitation achieved with your custom bismuth board, or was it simply easier to move the planchette around due to its weight being partially offset by the diamagetic effects between the board and the magnets on the planchette? Also, what sort of magnets did you use with your planchette (size, type of material, weight, etc.), and what type of material did you make your planchette out of? Also, what were the approximate dimensions of your planchette? I think that is good for starters. Also I have some new directions I'd like to take Ouija Board design, but I'll tell you about that later, after we have gotten to discuss this first.

Best regards,

Richard Knowles, Ph.D.

Edited by Psitrekker
  • Like 1

Mr. Korczak,

In case you are looking for a back channel way to communicate with me, please contact me at *snip*

Best regards,

Richard

Edited by rashore
removed personal email

Mr. Korczak,

In case you are looking for a back channel way to communicate with me, please contact me at *snip*

Best regards,

Richard

Welcome to UM :st Please, read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here.

Please be aware that it is unwise to give out your personal email in open forum. You can easily contact other members via PM here on UM :)

Thanks for your assistance, Rashore. I considered the consequences of putting my email address on this forum, and felt that the benefits might have outweighed the possible consequences of someone misusing it. At this point, I'm not sure that the creator of this post (Mr. Korczak) is available, interested in responding, or possibly even currently alive. I appreciate your looking out for my best interests, though.

Best regards,

Richard

Dear Mr. Korczak,

I have an update that I want to share. I recently let you know via Personal Message that one of my ideas for a floating planchette Ouija board was to use a board lined on the top with small, flat, & square neodynium magnets with their alternating polarities facing upwards in a staggered checkerboard formation. Then the planchette would be made of a pyrolytic graphite plate which floated atop the board. I wasn't sure if the pyrolytic graphite plate would really float atop my neodynium board, but I just received a couple of pyrolitic graphite plates from K & J Magnetics Inc., and have promising news to share.

I bought a .75mm thickness plate and a 1mm thickness plate to see how each would do given their varying weights. I'm happy to say that both of them glide fairly effortlessly atop my neodynium board. I wish I could show you a picture or better yet, a video of this actually happening, but I'm not aware of any way to share visual content on this forum. I suppose I could make a YouTube video for anyone who might be interested, but I would want to know ahead to time that there is some interest in seeing this before I go to the trouble of shooting and uploading such footage.

I see this as a much more lightweight solution for a Ouija board with a floating planchette than using bismuth as the base material for your board and neodynium magnets as the material for providing lift for your planchette. I'm not sure how much more cost-effective it might be, though, since these neodynium mangets are certainly not cheap--especially the amount that would be needed to make an entire Ouija board out of.

Best regards,

Richard Knowles, Ph.D.

Edited by Psitrekker

I haven't heard from anyone on this forum yet, but I hope that there are at least some parties who are interested in having a discussion about new forms of Ouija boards using magnetic floating planchette technology and even more advanced designs. I hope I'm not just talking to a brick wall here. I'm pretty sure that there are only a handful of people on the planet who have been interested in such things within my lifetime, and Mr Korczak (aka Iron Ghost here) is one of them. More interest may arise in the future, but since this has always been a passion of mine and time is ticking away, I want to be able to explore this issue at some point in my life, and hopefully I will not be alone in my explorations. There are other, more sophisticated avenues where this research into Ouija board-based trans-material communication may lead, but I personally wish to only discuss this with others who are sincerely interested in such exploration. Is there anyone out there?

Richard Knowles, Ph.D.

Hi Psi... You might want to note that this thread is from 2008, so there might not be anyone around from the thread to make commentary about it. There might not be many people around at the moment who are sincerely interested in magnetic ouija boards. If there is, you might just have to be patient about them showing up and making a comment in this thread.

Thank you, Rashore. I have already noted that this thread is from 2008, and have mentioned so in my comments. But I guess you're right--it may take time for any responses to accrue from a thread this old. This has just been one of those side projects that I've never had time to work on until I recently completed my dissertation project. Now that I'm free from my dissertation responsibilities, I really want to get back to some of my older ideas that have been on hold for years, and this is one of them. I hope that others might find this exploration as fulfilling and interesting as I do. Time will tell. There are some exciting new steps beyond planchette flotation that I'd like to explore and talk about as well, if others were also interested.

Psitrekker