Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can people sense death

aureola

Thanks for asking Red Moon :) I just have sensed this for the last few days, I don't know it's probably nothing , but I do believe some people are able to sense their deaths :)

• Like 1

a few days before my grandmother died in her sleep she spoke to all her grandchildren , we where ages 14-16 , 4 of us , she told us how much she loved us and that we would all make her proud etc , she didn't make it seem like she4 was saying goodbye or anything , but after she died it made sense and we didn't know that she had had a similar conversation with us all , she had aslo told my mother and her sister that she had seen her father a few nights earlier , obviously her father was long dead ,

so I believe she knew she was going to die very soon

• 3 weeks later...

My grandmother had a minor back surgery but was very adamant about not getting it done. the doctors convinced her that she needed to get it done, and as they were putting her under she had a heart attack and died. she was resuscitated but had severe brain damage and was in a coma. Weirdly enough, although they say she was brain dead, when I went to visit her, she was jerking and moving her head. And as me and my siblings started talking to her and telling her we loved her, tears started coming out of her eyes although they were closed. It was so strange, and the doctors said she was not conscious and had no brain activity, even though I pointed out the jerking of the head. The doctors said they didn't know what that was, maybe involuntary muscle spasms. But she was so afraid of getting the surgery done although it was minor. Maybe the anxiety killed her or maybe she just had a sense of intuiton or knowing that something bad was going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

re: jfarmwell123:

"tears started coming out of her eyes although they were closed"

Seems to me tears are emotional, an expression of emotion. I believe she was listening to you guys and reacting.

She heard you even though docs said she was brain dead.

Also now, about this topic. YES, I believe some people are gifted to KNOW they are going to be gone soon. What happened to me was a dear friend who was in great health and 50 years old, told me that if something happens to him soon I must do a few things.

Four days later he was dead of smoke inhalation and I did what he told me to do. About 2-3 months prior to this happening he walked up to me in his kitchen and told me, "I am going to go somewhere for a long time and I want you to know I love you but I am going."

I asked "Where are you going?" And he walked out of the room. I didn't persue it. Once he told me, "Dougie, you are going to be a very rich man when I die." I said, "Put it in writing." Didn't happen. I was out of $1.5M US. Anyway, one of the things he told me to remove was his Maxfield Parrish painting in the livingroom. I did and sold it 10 years later. SO, YES some people KNOW. Not just SENSE, but KNOW.

Edited by rodman2005
  • Like 1

Jeez, this topic is old xD

Alright, let's keep the topic necro going with more story time and a theory/back up for a possible current theory that I didn't see because I didn't read everything...

It's possible that beyond just the person themselves knowing when their time is about to come, close family members may as well. The week my great-grandfather passed away, all the family stopped to visit him or check up on him, even those who had been living out of state happened to visit that week. It was actually when Hale Bopp came around that he passed; he got to ride the comet by natural causes.

For my own experiences, I am sure that many people can sense their death. Just think about all those musicians, who predicted their ends precisely.

But the first time I got personally involved was the last time I have seen my grandfather alive. He was a very active man up to his 70s, but sadly he suffered a stroke and became partly astonied. Hew couldn`t move his right leg properly and couldn`t move his right hand anymore. The first time he was tough and fought against his fate. But as the years went by, he became depressive and locked himself up in the house. He began to give away each day, didn`t wash himself clean anymore and such things, though we all tried to save him. But in the end, he came into a nursing home where they tried to help him.

Though he was weak, he wasn`t dead. I visited him so often as I could in his last eight months and as goodbye he said often "Bye", "Ciao", "It was my honor" and mostly an old Bavarian phrase which means something like "**** off, my boy, and come back." But the very last time was different. He complained one time, that the TV in his room refused to work well. So I got a look, though I was already on the jump home. We got in his room, checked the channels and corrected them, When I turned, he sat on his bed which was unusual for him and leaned forward, which was even more unusual. He smiled strangely and then he said "Boy, listen to me: I wish you all the best." The situation was strange to me, as the phrase didn`t fit for him, but it seemed also important for him. So I just said in a funny way "Yeah yeah, I love you too, old man." I went to the door and waited if he would say something again, but he again smiled and sent me off with a wink of his hand. I did the same and left.

Four days later he came into the hospital for some days and then got out again. My calender made it impossible to met him but he got out finally, just to be sent again to hospital on 2nd of January. The next day, I wanted him to visit with a vengeance, because the hospital called and stated that he will very likely die. But ironically it was the 18th birthday of my sister and my family didn`t want to knew her, that her grandfather is dying on that special day. So my mother and my uncle went off to the hospital, while I took my sister to a trip to Munich. Shopping and ****, but also fine dinner and sightseeing, while I already received a SMS around 12 o'clock, that it`s over.

So that day in december was really the very last time I have seen him. But how could he knew? I mean, we all know that he was weak. But I visited him often and how could he know that this will be the very last time I saw him? The only explanation is, that he saw his death coming and wished me truly goodbye.

But the story isn`t over yet, because there was another incident involving the death of my grandmother four weeks ago. She died on 6th of January, almost exactly one year after my grandfather. Like him, she was very weak and invalid in her last years, which made us think she wouldn`t survive the next four years. Just in the last five months, she was three times in the hospital. Also around on 2nd of January, where we visited her. We talked quite normal, she wanted the newspapers, claimed about the ******* food in the hospital and also joked around. Then suddendly she said, that my grandfather must be lying also here in the hospital, because he visited her last night. He was already one year dead at the time. While my mother didn`t know what to say, I said that he was gone a year ago. My grandmother said to me, that I should not tell ****, because she has seen him right in front of the bed. But he was an idiot too, because he was just standing there and smiling. My grandmother told him, we would come and he should prepare himself for the visit. But he again was just smiling. She thought, my grandfather would tease her again, what he loved to do with his loved ones. But she wasn`t in the mood and told him, the old donkey should go to bed and let her rest. Then she felt asleep.

Four days later, she passed away in her sleep. After her death, this incident makes us think about the many good times we had and if they don`t watch over us. Because it feels almost like if my grandfather picked my grandmother up and brought her to the Elysian fields, when her time had come.

• Like 1

The two younger guys I met both died in car accidents. I seen one three days before and the other about six days before. Both looked pale, shiny, and not acting themselves.

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody, I decided to google sensing death as it's been a force I've had for many years. I came across this site an felt somehow I wanted to be heard. I very often get a very strong feeling of death before it's about to happen. I seem to know how many there will be also over how many months I just don't always know which relative or pal it will be until more recently. I knew my dad was gonna die I knew to take time off.. An so I did. 6 deaths have happened in 5 months.. An I sensed them all. I sense death has stopped but next year will be very bad. I also sense very strongly it's me next. I don't know how to deal with it. Right now I'm hitting the bottle everyday cause it's hard to face. How would a councillor believe what I say? X

Hello everybody, I decided to google sensing death as it's been a force I've had for many years. I came across this site an felt somehow I wanted to be heard. I very often get a very strong feeling of death before it's about to happen. I seem to know how many there will be also over how many months I just don't always know which relative or pal it will be until more recently. I knew my dad was gonna die I knew to take time off.. An so I did. 6 deaths have happened in 5 months.. An I sensed them all. I sense death has stopped but next year will be very bad. I also sense very strongly it's me next. I don't know how to deal with it. Right now I'm hitting the bottle everyday cause it's hard to face. How would a councillor believe what I say? X

You need to talk to a psychologist or a doctor. Self medication does not help, and will make your symptoms worse. Medical aid will identify whatever psychological disorder you have and give you the tools to deal with it. Remember, there is no shame in psychological conditions; you are sick, and a doctor/psychologist will help you to get better.

I've sensed death quite a bit in my life. I think it's more of an instinct thing. Maybe their pheromones are off or something.

Well, two weeks before my grandmother died, she was always staring outside our house all day long and then she would snap all of a sudden (She was out of breath and was panting like crazy) and would ask for water. When I asked her about it, she said that she was climbing a very long staircase. She was already so weak by that time. My uncle said that my grandfather said the same thing about the staircase few days before he died.

My mother and grandmother definitely sensed death. Both of them knew that they had about a month. I don't know how exactly, but they told that death will be coming for them soon.

I don't recall them acting strangely before. But my grandmother said that man in black came to visit him one night, this was a month before she died, so maybe death visited them?

One week before my grandmother died, she suddenly started to knit a sweater for her eldest son.

She hadn't knitted anything for over 50 years.

We felt that she knew her time was near, and it was one of the things that she wanted to do.

Sadly, she did not finish the sweater.

She was 84 years old when she passed.

• Like 2

This is something that has really bothered my father for a very long time, and it still brings tears to his eyes every time he tells it. We were visiting my Grandmother, and were saying our goodbyes, and my Father gave his Mother a hug, and said to her, "Well see you at Xmas in a few weeks when you come down", and my Grandmother, who was not an overly affectionate women, apparently gave my Father an extra long, deep hug, and said, "Goodbye Son, I won't be seeing you again." Five days later, we got the call that my Grandmother was T Boned at an interection by another vehicle while driving, and was killed in the crash, but that my Dad's Sister, and her children, who were also in the car, had survived. Its almost as if my Grandmother had a premonition of her death, and to be honest I really don't know what to make of it.

• Like 3

My wife works for Hospice. She tells me all the time how people know when its really close.

One time, back when me and the wife were dating, in the middle of the night I was in a deep sleep. Suddenly I heard someone call out my name, really loud. Made me wake right up and sit up in bed. My soon to be wife at the time asked me what was wrong. I told her someone died, then I went back to sleep. Next day my sister calls me and tells me a good friend of ours from back when committed suicide last night. Obviously I thought that was strange. Not just cause of the experience, but I couldn't figure out why he would reach out o me like that. I hadn't seen or talked to him in years.

• Like 2

My mother always told me about the time she babysat her young nephew for her sister while she was in the hospital in labor.

Early in the morning my mom heard her nephew screaming. She ran to him only to find him sound asleep. The phone rang and it was from her brother in-law to tell her that the baby past away.

• 11 months later...

i worked in nursing homes for a few years, many of the people asked permission to die shortly before they did so. Others who had not spoken or at least nothing that made since in years often would say something like tell my son I forgive him or something that makes the relatives cry when you tell them. Too many times I recorded my notes and later read them to loved ones who then felt peace

My grandmother had lots of grand and great grand children. I was #64 grandchild and I think it was 137 great grands at her death-but my dad was her favorite and youngest child and out of those plus her 27 I was the only one named after/for her. She called me the day she died and said it would be our last talk and some other things, we were saying Good-byes there was a thump then tone after a long time-she died her hand still around the phone and was smiling.

My husband hugged and kissed me goodbye-he was running our rings to the jewelry store for something-he said I have to go here and pointed up-to it to mean behind him and you need to go this way-i thought odd at the moment because it was west and we lived east of there. He was dead in the next 10 minutes-a car hit his car.

I live in the west now - it took awhile to get here.

I think he knew it was his time.

Couple of years later I flatlined in an ER he an my daughter met me-it was wonderful I wanted to stay with them so much he said it was my choice stay or leave but our son needed someone yet-he was then only 7 yrs old.

In several months when our son turns 18 the at home online (and events if wanted) based business should be up and running I can let go of the tight grip ive had on life . I'm not planning on going anywhere, but I can go outside if the temp is over 53°F bees need 55°F to come out & I'm so allergic, I can eat a small piece of seafood iodine allergy, I don't have to see if the bug stings or bits before I kill it or it kils me

I may even go back to a doctor or hospital again... Naw last 3 times I went they flat lined me giving me things I was allergic too-i choose to stay alive thank you !

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2008 at 4:17 PM, spiritualsan said:

Hi Im spirit and this is the first time that i have visited this site, became a member straight away! So hi all, hope you are well!

i read all discussions and came to this the first i believe i can give some input to.

Approx 10 years ago when i was 28, pregnant with my third child, i was in tremendous pain with my back, i suffered the pain from around 10 in the morning, and after taking the pain all day and night i finally had to get my husband (at the time) to phone a doctor at 3.30 because i could not sleep for the pain. (silly me at the time just thought it was musclular pain), the doctor told me it was a clot on the lung, and being the person i thought i was, like id freak out and scream and be absolutely terrified, wasnt the person i felt at the time. A kind of calmness that i could never explain to you, no matter how i tried, overcame me! It was the best feeling i had ever felt, but it was not in the mind, that was blank, no thoughts, just a calmness of the brain, but an absolute wonderful feeling inside my whole body, the dire pain in my back was gone, but the sould came alive, alive with the most beautiful calmness, and i will never forget that feeling!

I knew that i was going, and i believe that i was, and then the mind was alerted, i was lying on a stretcher bed while i was being booked in by the ambulance staff, and i was still aloat, then a scottish doctor with his white coat on came into the side bay and said "its ok, iv just looked at your results, you have an infection on the lung, once you get an antibiotic injection you will be fine"

he came in the side bay in one door and went out another that was behind me!

it must have been a few hour's later when my husband and 2 children walked in, and my husband had tears in his eyes and my kids started to cry.

"no, dont" i said, it's only an infection, im going to be fine" its ok

i was then put onto the main ward, i was then insisting on pain relief, because the pain had came back, but they had to do a lot of checks before they could give me anything, because i was 7 months pregnant!

when i actually got put onto the ward, i was going crazy for pain relief and the ward doctor came to see me and he said " we have got to give you warfrin (a type of rat poison that thins the blood) and we need to get the authorisation to give it to you, with you being pregnant, and i told him what the scottish doctor said, that i dont have a clot, i have an infection! but he just looked at me gone out, and said that the xray did not show that, like i was dreaming or seeing things!

So the answer is yes, we do know when we are going to die, but if we would like to, we can always pull ourself's away from it and carry on living!

And it all depends on what you have to live for?

I had my children at the time, i could not go with this beautiful sea of calmness that had overtaken my body, oh no, i needed to wake up and carry on strutting along!

since that time, the fear of death departed from my mind!

the old lady in the nursing home, she knew she was going that night, but she had decided she was going to welcome it in at long last!

the other's that want the family to go away, is because they are the people that were keeping them from that ultimate calm, not wanting to hurt their families!

But we all have to go sometimes, its very hard missing someone, but, never fear for your departed life, it's beautiful!

thank you for reading my reply, i hope i did not bore you all or go on too much.... anyway i'll shut up now..........

spirit***

100_9832.JPG

I too felt death, many times. When I looked into the eyes of my daughter I knew death was coming or I knew that will be the last time I would be seeing them again.

I knew this was true because I sense the same thing when my daughter died. I felt the silence, it was like darkness hitting me. Everything around me went quiet. It is so horrible to hearing nothing but silence. It is as if all the birds stopped singing and then there was nothing at all.

Oscar The Cat sure seem to have a sense for impending death

• 9 months later...
Guest MamaMia1981

I have never been able to sense death in strangers, until this past weekend, but first I want to recount a few things.

I have been able to know what is wrong with patients before I imaged them (I do CT scans).  One gentleman was early 50's and had an aortic dissection.  The other patient had appendicitis.  I knew both diagnoses before I saw either patient.  It was just a "knowing".

Here's where it gets weird.

I work a 40 hour shift, and when it was time for me to lay down, I grabbed a People magazine to browse through to wind down.  The very last page was an interview with Bill Paxton.  

I finished reading the interview, and looking at his picture, I just knew he was going to die.  I dismissed it as silly, and went to sleep.

I get up the next morning, and hop online to check the news, and what do I see?  Top of Yahoo...Bill Paxon dead, at 61.

Needless to say, totally freaked me out, as sensing impending death in people has only ever been in patients close to me, not some person I've never been near, or taken care of....I will be paying attention to these premonitions more closely.

• 1 month later...

My mother inlaw has been talking about death alot lately saying i know the end is near i know im dying slowly inside ...shes what u would call a non compliant patient...if she would have taken her meds her health wouldnt be going down hill...does this mean she senses that death is near or is she just trying to convince herself?

i sense this thread keeps getting brought back from the dead = do I have the gift?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My Gran who was ill in bed said that she could see small lights in the top corner of the room, we looked and couldn't see any but she then smiled and said they have come for me I can go now and she died....weird

• Like 2