Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 2m foreigners are now working in Britain

questionmark

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sthenno

• Bill Hill

• chemical-licker

• Username Deleted

Poland (i'll use poland i.e., because the majority of migrant workers are coming from there) has just as many layabouts and drunks as the UK, it just so happens only the ones with get-up-and-go come here to work, bringing migrant workers in isn't the answer, if everyone after three months unemployed had to report at 8:00 every morning to do community work for 40 hours a week before being entitled to their benefit, the amount of people unemployed would drop dramatically.

In my opinion, there are a few problems with that way of thinking. One, that it can be difficult for people with mental/physical disabilities to 'prove' within government-defined categories that they are actually incapable of work... and two, that many people who are doing important work within the fields of activism, campaigning and social change are only able to do so because they are 'funded' by unemployment benefit. Of course, not all people (probably not even a majority) are claiming benefits for these reasons, but by applying blanket conditions we make life very difficult for the few who use their benefits to achieve some good in the world.

Just a thought, but shouldn't we be blaming the companies which offer such an awful wage no 'native' will accept it, rather than the migrants who are desperate enough to take it?

Also, I'm not sure what the connection is between the number of immigrant workers and the number of people claiming incap benefit?

oH gawd...

I'm a liberal... I've got no brain.. look at at me dance in the rain... it's raining..

oH gawd...

I'm a liberal... I've got no brain.. look at at me dance in the rain... it's raining..

If that's the best response you've got, I don't think you have any business accusing others of lacking in the brain department...

Could we please try a reasoned debate instead of playground nonsensical abuse? 'Cos you ain't doing your argument any favours by taunting like a five year old...

If that's the best response you've got, I don't think you have any business accusing others of lacking in the brain department...

Come on yo... let's go..

we're all going down to the disco.

Are you high?!

no :no:

Then could you possibly explain your responses? 'Cos I'm struggling to understand them...

no surprises then... ^_^ to the unintelligent my posts might appear somewhat 'magical' and 'mysterious'

er not that I'm calling you unintelligent, you're more... misinformed.

no surprises then... ^_^ to the unintelligent my posts might appear somewhat 'magical' and 'mysterious'

er not that I'm calling you unintelligent, you're more... misinformed.

Could you explain how so?

Could you explain how so?

er... you believe the majority, such as sun and mirror readers are actually the ones in power?

Please, once you've acquired a little more life experience then feel free to post..

otherwise, at present, I feel like, I'm debating with nothing more than a 'coffee machine.' :unsure2:

Some reports suggest that with the wars are regime changes that have gone on around the world and the free handouts given in the UK the figure might be closer to 10 million ! :o

In my opinion, there are a few problems with that way of thinking. One, that it can be difficult for people with mental/physical disabilities to 'prove' within government-defined categories that they are actually incapable of work... and two, that many people who are doing important work within the fields of activism, campaigning and social change are only able to do so because they are 'funded' by unemployment benefit. Of course, not all people (probably not even a majority) are claiming benefits for these reasons, but by applying blanket conditions we make life very difficult for the few who use their benefits to achieve some good in the world.

It would soon weed out the lead-swingers. They are the ones who will moan about missing Jeremy Kyle or claim that they had to get up early to meet their 9 am start.

Bill Hill If you are unable to show respect to other members then be prepared to face disciplinary action. Let's keep this discussion on topic. Thanks. :tu:

It would soon weed out the lead-swingers. They are the ones who will moan about missing Jeremy Kyle or claim that they had to get up early to meet their 9 am start.

But is it worth making life incredibly difficult for the people who really need dole money just for the sake of weeding out the ones who don't? I mean, as a tax payer, I don't really care whether or not people who claim the dole actually 'need' it - it's not going to make our taxes any less if people stop claiming, and I'd rather be funding people to stay out of the capitalist system then fund war and nuclear armaments and all those other lovely things our tax money pays for.

You would've of thought by now in the 21 century... one country in the world would be close to utopia... at least one of the western countries.

But we keep getting dragged down... for some reason. I guess we'll have to have to wait, again.

Seems like the UK is going backwards...

You would've of thought by now in the 21 century... one country in the world would be close to utopia... at least one of the western countries.

But we keep getting dragged down... for some reason. I guess we'll have to have to wait, again.

Seems like the UK is going backwards...

Why one of the western countries, necessarily? I've travelled a fair bit in countries us westerners would probably describe as 'less developed' or 'third world' and one thing's for sure... the people on the whole are a hell of a lot happier.

May I ask, what do you feel is 'dragging down' the UK? Because I have my thoughts on that, but I'm guessing they're different to yours...

this is te trouble england would of been a really nice place if it werent for ..................linked-image

Haha - amen to that. Maybe if we stopped looking everywhere for threats and just stopped to enjoy living in a relatively free country, where we can pretty much do what we like, we'd all be a lot happier.

May I ask, what do you feel is 'dragging down' the UK? Because I have my thoughts on that, but I'm guessing they're different to yours...

I know the question wasn't directed at me but i've got an opinion on what's dragging the UK down. It's an attitude or state of mind that has gripped a large sway of the population, the roots of which probably started in the early 1900's but didn't really take hold and start to spread till the sixties and early seventies. It's an attitude that says that if your British you should be ashamed of your history and constantly criticise yourself and country for not living up to some exaggerated bench mark of fair play, a system which looks at the perspective of the rest of the world before your own. It started with the arm chair critics in the sixties and seventies who systematically took some of this countries greatest achievement (like exploration and military feats) and attempted to debunk them with often shocking inaccuracy and blatent lies. It's been a drip-drip effect which has led us to our current state of either being ashamed of our country and history (for no good reason) or just not giving a toss to begin with.

It is that attitude which runs from the youths on the street right up to the politicians who haven't got the balls to be proud of the country they govern, that is dragging this great country back. (imo).

Edited by Username Deleted

I know the question wasn't directed at me but i've got an opinion on what's dragging the UK down. It's an attitude or state of mind that has gripped a large sway of the population, the roots of which probably started in the early 1900's but didn't really take hold and start to spread till the sixties and early seventies. It's an attitude that says that if your British you should ashamed of your history and constantly criticise yourself and country for not living up to some exaggerated bench mark of fair play, a system which looks at the perspective of the rest of the world before your own. It started with the arm chair critics in the sixties and seventies who systematically took some of this countries greatest achievement (like exploration and military feats) and attempted to debunk them with often shocking inaccuracy and blatent lies. It's been a drip-drip effect which has led us to our current state of either being ashamed of our country and history (for no good reason) or just not giving a toss to begin with.

It is that attitude which runs from the youths on the street right up to the politicians who haven't got the balls to be proud of the country they govern, that is dragging this great country back. (imo).

well said User, i think 80% of the problem is due to weak leadership, and theres no doubt about its this left wing liberal ideology thats spread through politics of PC'ness is playing a big part, but back to the leaders just look at what jobs they've done before joining politics, privately educated, then on from there they go to a posh university, and some of them think they've lived in the real world because they smoked a tiny amount of pot, then they leave university join daddys business, then do campaigning for a political party then start off in the lower ranks of politics, then get promoted and we wonder why the county is in such a state, its simple, they have no life experience and it doesnt matter how much money they have, because you cant buy experience,

What we need in politics is the every day man or woman becoming MP's, you know the type, work 40 hours a week, have been through hard times, have lived on council estates where crime is high, are street wise, and have a firm grip on the reality of the situation, people who dont need percentages to tell them things are going wrong, because they can see it with their own eyes, but instead..........

we have politicians who cant even answer yes or no, they wont even speak their mind, incase its not PC, look at the politician who said enoch powelll was right, was pushed out of the tory party, and what for because he spoke his mind? thats the trouble today we need more straight talkers people who say what they feel and if it offends someone tough, deal with it, at least you know where they stand, but........

to be honest i'd throw the ****ing lot of them out, and start again, because its got out of hand, its says it all when you think about the EU treaty they promise us a referendum on it, but because they've changed the treaty but in reality 98% of it hasnt changed. all of a sudden the majority of people dont know whats good for them and so we the politicans high and mighty, wont ask what you the people think we'll sign up anyway, good god,..................

democracy my a***,.

Edited by stevewinn

I agree wholeheartedly with Username' and Stevewinn.

Meow Purr.

I agree wholeheartedly with Username' and Stevewinn.

Meow Purr.

I can see it too, but there is an additional factor... there is the second portion of Britain that still lives in the Empire that is not anymore. So between the I-am-ashamed-of-the-Empire attitude and the I-am-still-in-the-Empire attitude Britain missed many turns on the way it should have taken.