Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 2m foreigners are now working in Britain

questionmark

Another example of the kind of ignorance that helps the BNP win votes and Daily Mail headlines sell papers.

An asylum seeker is not the same thing as an immigrant. An immigrant is someone who has come to Britain to work; an asylum seeker is someone who has fled persecution and often the threat of death in their own country. Most of them have no idea where their destination will be - they pay huge amount of sums to get out of the country and are brought here by third parties.

They don't live the comfortable life alluded to in that video. They get the worst housing that no one else wants and £35 of supermarket vouchers - which they cannot get change from (so the supermarket makes a profit), cannot use for basic groceries like tampons or nappies, and can only use at set supermarkets - to survive on. It's a struggle to survive day to day - the chances of them being able to afford 'a brand new leather jacket' are laughable.

These people go through the most inhumane treatment on a regular basis and what do we, the country where they hoped to be able to find sanctuary, do? We make ill informed, offensive and artistically questionable 'animations' and post them on YouTube. If I had my way, I'd boot all the idiots who make this crap out of their homes and give them to those who truly deserve them.

Therefore according to EU rules all asylum seekers must have come to Britain by some kind of magical mystery tour scheduled flight. Is that the case ?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sthenno

• Bill Hill

• chemical-licker

• questionmark

Therefore according to EU rules all asylum seekers must have come to Britain by some kind of magical mystery tour scheduled flight. Is that the case ?

It does not really matter where they land, it is not Italy, Greece and Spain alone that pays the bills for the asylum seekers and illegals that never make it to Britain. It is all of us through the EU.

I think I've covered this... for the most part, they have no idea where they're going. I'm not denying that the third parties who make a living out of smuggling these people out of their countries aim for Britain as they think it will be the easiest country to get into, but that's certainly not the fault of the asylum seekers themselves.

Apologies if that's not what you meant, it was a little hard to decipher.

So, I guess we have to wait until there's world peace.

Otherwise, there plenty of people in the world who qualify for asylum status.. all they got to do is run into the arms of the UK.

And the Uk is really a small island so I guess we're gonna get quite crowded.

Damn it, if only the asylum seekers sorted out their own country... like our UK ancestors had to.

if only the asylum seekers sorted out their own country... like our UK ancestors had to.

ha ha ha ha i've read that english people too are gonna have to tie up asylum seekers shoe laces up. pert of a health and safety campaign set by the government. :lol:

They don't live the comfortable life alluded to in that video. They get the worst housing that no one else wants

Mmmmmh how come there's a long waiting list for council homes?

What about the illegal immigrants that end up in B&Bs; then the local council pays over the going rate... knowing most people don't want them.

Of course the Bill is passed on to the taxpayer...

ha ha ha ha i've read that english people too are gonna have to tie up asylum seekers shoe laces up. pert of a health and safety campaign set by the government. :lol:

What do you do when your roots have dissolved and broken down?

And the soil that you grew in when you were small, has become nothing more than dirt... in some dirty town. :hmm:

Mmmmmh how come there's a long waiting list for council homes?

Because there are thousands of fifteen year old girls out there who have been brought up by a society which has convinced them having multiple babies is a viable career option? The housing that most asylum seekers get is too poor even to be classified as council housing. I've certainly never heard of asylum seekers being housed in B&Bs - could you give me some sources?

And as far as telling them they should 'sort out their own country like the UK had to', that is ignorant beyond belief. The UK has never operated a contemporary system where people are executed for speaking out against a political regime. I find the suggestion that people who have suffered under such oppressive regimes should 'just sort it out' unspeakably offensive.

2. Current accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers

2.1 There are over 40,000 asylum seekers placed in temporary accommodation in London by London boroughs (either housing or social services departments) and another 6,700 asylum seekers housed and supported by the government’s National Asylum Support Service (NASS) in emergency and dispersed accommodation in London.

Source- ALG Homelessness Working Group – 11 June 2004

link

Bed and breakfast hotels/shared annexes

Trends in the use of bed and breakfast hotels/shared annexes vary widely across London. Between February and March 2002, seven boroughs increased their numbers in this type of accommodation by at least 25 households

Under Housing Act duties, local authority housing departments are also supporting in temporary accommodation a 'backlog' of asylum seekers who were entitled to claim benefit because they applied for asylum at their port of entry prior to April 2000. The number of asylum seeking households accommodated temporarily by housing departments has also fallen substantially in the last year (by 32 per cent - from 8,017 in March 2001 to 5,448 in March 2002)

Many asylum seekers going through NASS have made their own accommodation arrangements rather than face dispersal. These are described as 'subsistence only' cases and the London Asylum Seekers Consortium (LASC) is monitoring their numbers on a monthly basis. At end of March 2002, 24,452 asylum seekers in London were being provided with 'subsistence only' support by NASS, an increase of 132 per cent in the last year. Around 80 per cent of all 'subsistence only' cases nationally are living in London.

Trends in asylum seeking households placed in temporary accommodation under the Housing Act1996, supported by social services departments under the interim arrangements or being supported by NASS

March 2001 41,669 March 2002 31,632

Temporary accommodation

2. Current accommodation arrangements for asylum seekers

2.1 There are over 40,000 asylum seekers placed in temporary accommodation in London by London boroughs (either housing or social services departments) and another 6,700 asylum seekers housed and supported by the government’s National Asylum Support Service (NASS) in emergency and dispersed accommodation in London.

Source- ALG Homelessness Working Group – 11 June 2004

link

Bed and breakfast hotels/shared annexes

Trends in the use of bed and breakfast hotels/shared annexes vary widely across London. Between February and March 2002, seven boroughs increased their numbers in this type of accommodation by at least 25 households

Under Housing Act duties, local authority housing departments are also supporting in temporary accommodation a 'backlog' of asylum seekers who were entitled to claim benefit because they applied for asylum at their port of entry prior to April 2000. The number of asylum seeking households accommodated temporarily by housing departments has also fallen substantially in the last year (by 32 per cent - from 8,017 in March 2001 to 5,448 in March 2002)

Many asylum seekers going through NASS have made their own accommodation arrangements rather than face dispersal. These are described as 'subsistence only' cases and the London Asylum Seekers Consortium (LASC) is monitoring their numbers on a monthly basis. At end of March 2002, 24,452 asylum seekers in London were being provided with 'subsistence only' support by NASS, an increase of 132 per cent in the last year. Around 80 per cent of all 'subsistence only' cases nationally are living in London.

Trends in asylum seeking households placed in temporary accommodation under the Housing Act1996, supported by social services departments under the interim arrangements or being supported by NASS

March 2001 41,669 March 2002 31,632

Temporary accommodation

The links aren't working, so I can't really comment, but at the moment I can't see the link between 'temporary accommodation' and B&Bs. And even if these asylum seekers are being housed in B&Bs it is, as stated, a temporary arrangement. I don't really get your point - perhaps with working links I might be able to get a grip on the context and understand more?

Dover.

1.1.1 Dover is a major gateway to the UK which welcomes many thousands of visitors

each year. However, since the mid 1990s a new trend has emerged with an increase

in the number of asylum seekers using Dover as a port of entry. This has had a

major impact upon the local community and whilst a great deal of good work was

already being done, it was felt that a thorough review of current arrangements should

be undertaken by the Council in order to identify the relevant facts and suggest a way

forward.

Scope of the Review

1.2.1 This Review was included in the Work Programme of the Scrutiny (Transport,

Opportunity and Access) Committee for the Council year 2002/03. A Sub-Committee

(Asylum Seekers/ Illegal Immigration), chaired by Councillor Frederick Scales, was

set up to research the main issues and assisted in identifying the terms of reference

for the Review which were adopted by the main Committee. Those terms of

reference were as follows:

To investigate equality of access for local residents and asylum seekers to

local services.

To determine the cost to the local community of supporting asylum seekers.

To assess the effect on the local community of asylum seekers

2.4.2 Firstly, the strain on local authorities in finding accommodation was becoming an

increasing problem. B&B provision had become exhausted and private landlords

were reluctant to take asylum seekers.

CFPS.

The links aren't working, so I can't really comment, but at the moment I can't see the link between 'temporary accommodation' and B&Bs. And even if these asylum seekers are being housed in B&Bs it is, as stated, a temporary arrangement. I don't really get your point - perhaps with working links I might be able to get a grip on the context and understand more?

They're all from local/council site...which don't like you linking them. :hmm:

I apologise if you're new to the internet, but perhaps you could use 'google' which is a type of 'search engine.'

Just type in asylum seekers illegal immigrants and 'bed and breakfast..'

What do you do when your roots have dissolved and broken down?

And the soil that you grew in when you were small, has become nothing more than dirt... in some dirty town. :hmm:

that made me :cry:

yep definitly need a smiley with hand going over head :yes:

Dover.

1.1.1 Dover is a major gateway to the UK which welcomes many thousands of visitors

each year. However, since the mid 1990s a new trend has emerged with an increase

in the number of asylum seekers using Dover as a port of entry. This has had a

major impact upon the local community and whilst a great deal of good work was

already being done, it was felt that a thorough review of current arrangements should

be undertaken by the Council in order to identify the relevant facts and suggest a way

forward.

Scope of the Review

1.2.1 This Review was included in the Work Programme of the Scrutiny (Transport,

Opportunity and Access) Committee for the Council year 2002/03. A Sub-Committee

(Asylum Seekers/ Illegal Immigration), chaired by Councillor Frederick Scales, was

set up to research the main issues and assisted in identifying the terms of reference

for the Review which were adopted by the main Committee. Those terms of

reference were as follows:

To investigate equality of access for local residents and asylum seekers to

local services.

To determine the cost to the local community of supporting asylum seekers.

To assess the effect on the local community of asylum seekers

2.4.2 Firstly, the strain on local authorities in finding accommodation was becoming an

increasing problem. B&B provision had become exhausted and private landlords

were reluctant to take asylum seekers.

CFPS.

I like that you missed the 'some of those who did were failing to maintain standards and contravened European Health regulations' part out of that link.

But cheers for the source - I wasn't aware that asylum seekers were being temporarily housed in B&B accommodation in some parts of the UK. I still however fail to see how this 'cost to the taxpayer' (I for one would much rather my tax money paid for people to escape persecution for their political beliefs than, say, a farce of a war...) is in any way the fault of those who seek asylum. I have met quite a few asylum seekers, and each one of them would love to work and pay their own way, but red tape and bureaucracy prevents them from working.

They're all from local/council site...which don't like you linking them. :hmm:

I apologise if you're new to the internet, but perhaps you could use 'google' which is a type of 'search engine.'

Just type in asylum seekers illegal immigrants and 'bed and breakfast..'

You were using links to support your point of view. It ain't my job to google references to support an argument I'm not making.

And, although I hate to repeat myself but you really don't seem to be taking this in, an asylum seekers IS NOT THE SAME THING as an illegal immigrant.

Edited by Sthenno

I like that you missed the 'some of those who did were failing to maintain standards and contravened European Health regulations' part out of that link.

Just checking. See, you're quite aware.. :innocent: don't worry though, the whole point of the council meeting was to help the asylum seekers.

Mmmh and I thought the Dailymail just made up these type of stories...

But cheers for the source - I wasn't aware that asylum seekers were being temporarily housed in B&B accommodation in some parts of the UK.

Yep, although I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, because I always thought it came under the bracket of 'common knowledge.'

I still however fail to see how this 'cost to the taxpayer' (I for one would much rather my tax money paid for people to escape persecution for their political beliefs than, say, a farce of a war...) is in any way the fault of those who seek asylum.

yeah you used this one before...you said, you'd rather pay taxes, so that the unemployed could escape the capitalist system, rather than see the money fund an unjust war.

er do you actually pay tax? :unsure2:

I have met quite a few asylum seekers, and each one of them would love to work and pay their own way, but red tape and bureaucracy prevents them from working.

Where did you meet them and how many have you met?

Your turn.... got a source?

an asylum seekers IS NOT THE SAME THING as an illegal immigrant.

• Asylum Seeker:

Someone who has left their country of origin due to a well founded fear of persecution - because of their race, religion, nationality, membership of a social group or political opinion.

They need to make a formal application to the Home Office for asylum within the UK.

• Refugees:

If an asylum seeker is granted asylum, they become known as refugees and are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and are elegible to receive a range of state benefits and services.

yeah your right :rolleyes:

• Asylum Seeker:

Someone who has left their country of origin due to a well founded fear of persecution - because of their race, religion, nationality, membership of a social group or political opinion.

They need to make a formal application to the Home Office for asylum within the UK.

• Refugees:

If an asylum seeker is granted asylum, they become known as refugees and are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and are elegible to receive a range of state benefits and services.

yeah your right :rolleyes:

Illegal immigrant - someone who has illegally crossed a country's border (i.e. someone who has not tried to claim asylum) or someone who has outstayed their visa.

They're all completely different things. Ironically, most asylum seekers who have tried to officially claim asylum and stay within the law would have been much better off had they not stated their intent and remained illegal immigrants.

Just checking. See, you're quite aware.. :innocent: don't worry though, the whole point of the council meeting was to help the asylum seekers.

Mmmh and I thought the Dailymail just made up these type of stories...

Have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

Yep, although I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, because I always thought it came under the bracket of 'common knowledge.'

No, I really wasn't aware, and remain unconvinced that this is anything other than a temporary, emergency measure. I've seen no evidence of this as a scheme long term enough to have any effect on your beloved 'tax payers'

yeah you used this one before...you said, you'd rather pay taxes, so that the unemployed could escape the capitalist system, rather than see the money fund an unjust war.

er do you actually pay tax? :unsure2:

Yes I do, thanks.

Where did you meet them and how many have you met?

Your turn.... got a source?

Umm... you want me to provide sources for people I've met and conversed with? How do you suggest I do that?

If you would genuinely like to find out the truth about the plight of asylum seekers, I suggest you go along to your local No Borders meeting, or that of a similar organisation. If you let me know where you are based I can happily provide some events that will only take up an hour of your time and will, hopefully, be very enlightening. In the interest of fairness, I would happily go along to a BNP event of your choice...

I would happily go along to a BNP event of your choice...

now who is suggesting racism? only you. :rolleyes: NEED THAT ICON PEOPLE, (THE ONE THAT HAND GOING OVER HEAD)

Chill out mate, it was a joke!

:angry: CHILL OUT! i wont till you liberals start facing the real world. i would love to send you down a road i know where the immigrants have made it a no go area after dark because to many people are getting stabbed, robbed, and a few girls rapped with knives under their necks.

Chill out mate, it was a joke!

:angry: CHILL OUT! i wont till you liberals start facing the real world. i would love to send you down a road i know where the immigrants have made it a no go area after dark because to many people are getting stabbed, robbed, and a few girls rapped with knives under their necks.

And my comment was directly related to that how, exactly?

I have no doubt that there are areas of cities which are no go areas. I also fail to see how that is remotely relevant to the points I am making. I also don't understand how people can still, despite my repeated attempts to explain the situation in what I believe to be clear English, fail to recognise the difference between immigrants and asylum seekers. That aside, to imply that all immigrants are violent, stealing rapists because you know some areas where immigrants live that these things happen in is ridiculous. I know plenty of white, working class areas where these things happen too.

If you would genuinely like to find out the truth about the plight of asylum seekers, I suggest you go along to your local No Borders meeting, or that of a similar organisation.

At last, we have an agenda revealed... Mmmmh so you were being deliberately obtuse.. ^_^

somehow I think, the so-called 'truth' revealed at one of these meetings, is going to be rather subjective... seen through the thickest pair of rose-tinted glasses money can buy.

I mean, the name says it all really 'No borders meetings.' :D whatever could they mean? :huh:

No Boarders activists protest against Virgin

Anti-deportation campaigners 'paid a visit' to the offices Virgin Holidays, the holiday company based in Crawley town centre near Gatwick Airport, yesterday The protest was over what the group claims is Virgin's involvement in forced deportations of rejected asylum seekers to unsafe countries.

link

The No Border Network refers to loose associations of autonomous organisations, groups, and individuals in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and beyond. They resist human migration control by coordinating international border camps, demonstrations, direct actions, and anti-deportation campaigns.

The Western European network opposes what they see as increasingly restrictive harmonisation of asylum and immigration policy in Europe, working to build alliances among migrant laborers and refugees. Common slogans within the Network include, "No Border, No Nation, Stop Deportations!" "Freedom of Movement, Freedom of Residence: Right to Come, Right to Go, Right to Stay!" and "Papers for All or No Papers at All!"

er think I'll give it a miss... :unsure2:

If you let me know where you are based I can happily provide some events that will only take up an hour of your time and will, hopefully, be very enlightening. In the interest of fairness, I would happily go along to a BNP event of your choice...

I have no affinity with the BNP what-so-ever, nor have I ever been to one of their meetings..

however I really am beginning to understand why people are turning towards them.

We're only a small Island with a finite amount of space.

For experience, I suggest you visit London, Hastings.. Dover etc..