Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quija board challenge to skeptics

cpjason

I also would never use a "Quija" board, since no such thing matching that atrocious spelling exists.

I would also just like to say all your sessions seem extremely dramatic IronGhost, both your own wordings as well as the board personalities' usage - I don't quite understand if you're adding in a lot of "poetic license" to make the session "better", more creative-writing-like, or if you actually think to yourself when you reflect on a session, that "hornets in your head" and "nuclear powered goosebumps" are apt similes for your experience and reactions. I'm not mocking you, I'm curious as to how to approach your posts and session "transcripts", how much is "flavor text" you have added in for the sake of cohesiveness or literary techniques (buildup, etc).

I also would never use a "Quija" board, since no such thing matching that atrocious spelling exists.

I would also just like to say all your sessions seem extremely dramatic IronGhost, both your own wordings as well as the board personalities' usage - I don't quite understand if you're adding in a lot of "poetic license" to make the session "better", more creative-writing-like, or if you actually think to yourself when you reflect on a session, that "hornets in your head" and "nuclear powered goosebumps" are apt similes for your experience and reactions. I'm not mocking you, I'm curious as to how to approach your posts and session "transcripts", how much is "flavor text" you have added in for the sake of cohesiveness or literary techniques (buildup, etc).

Absolutely no poetic license is taken. The session are what they are, objectively recounted.

Implied in your statement is the idea that an Ouija session should apear or play out in a certain way. "If it was a real Ouija session, it should be thus."

See what I mean? Why have a preconceived notion or idea of how an Ouija session should happen? Some people will look at my session transcript and say: "Wow, that was really dramatic." If you have a preconceived notion that an Ouija session should contain no drama, then it would appear false to you. But why shouldn't an Ouija session contain drama? The fact is, it is what it is.

I add no "flavoir text." My own comments that are prompted by the information received from the board have a certain "flavor" to be sure. But why shouldn't they? That flavor is me.

When you look at the majority of comments in these forums concerning Ouija, you find almost 100% preconceived notions or ideas about what to expect. The vast majority think that "playing" with an Ouija board is dangerous and an invitation for some evil spirit somewhere to come on in and eat your soul.

But where does this idea come from? It's just common mythology, based on a false view of reality. Most people go into Ouija practice with preconceived notions about what they will encounter -- and not surprisingly, they get what they expect to get. Everyone models and creates their own experiences.

Also, many people encounter Ouija practice with a 100-year-old model of the human mind, largely based on the precepts of Sigmund Freud. We've all been taught that we have a mind, an ego, a subconscious, a super ego -- and that buried deep inside are "monsters of the Id."

But this is primitive thinking, and it's high time we swept away this 19th Century idea of what consciousness is. To say that the Ouija is the ideomoter effect is to assume that the 100-year-old idea of the subconscious is correct -- but that's ridiculous. The fact is, there is no subconscious mind, the concept of the individual ego is totally bogus -- in fact, intelligence almost certainly does not emanate from the human brain.

No one is who they think they are, and when they use an Ouija board, we are not playing with our own minds, or the minds of other entities -- we are conducting a process of communication -- and the commnication itself is the reality.

Edited by IronGhost

To say that the Ouija is the ideomoter effect is to assume that the 100-year-old idea of the subconscious is correct -- but that's ridiculous.

No, to believe you're talking to a ghost through a piece of cardboard...that's ridiculous.

The fact is, there is no subconscious mind, the concept of the individual ego is totally bogus

Are you a psychologist? See, PSYCHOLOGISTS claim it's the ideomotor effect. I'm more inclined to believe them over you.

-- in fact, intelligence almost certainly does not emanate from the human brain.

Were does it emanate from? (again, you're at odds with neurologists and psychologists here, but that doesn't seem to trouble you) Does intelligence emanate from, say, the groin? or is it some mystical area floating just above the head? ???

No, to believe you're talking to a ghost through a piece of cardboard...that's ridiculous.

Are you a psychologist? See, PSYCHOLOGISTS claim it's the ideomotor effect. I'm more inclined to believe them over you.

Were does it emanate from? (again, you're at odds with neurologists and psychologists here, but that doesn't seem to trouble you) Does intelligence emanate from, say, the groin? or is it some mystical area floating just above the head? ???

Are you a psychologist?

Are you a psychologist?

No. I just read what they have to say and give their ideas more gravity than my own on topics that they study.

so when psychologists say it's the ideomotor effect, I'm more inclined to believe that than the baseless idea that it's a tool for communicating with the dead.

Sorry to ruin the fun here. You can all disregard me now if you want.

I am a skeptic and i would love to hold an Ouja Board session...Just to see whats it all about...but the folks are scared to attend one...!!

I have once participated ina sessio nduring my college days but found that the planchette was a being nudged by the tired fingers of the two guys focussing ...

and the session wqas aborted..because nothing responded.

normally i have directly asked for contct with spirits etc..but to no avail.

Are there folks like me for which no paranormal stuff happen?? :(

I tried using these boards on a reagular basis as a teenager with no results. Is that good enough for you?That was back when I was gulliable and actually believed in those things.

i think ur playing with fire. u seem 2 think the ouijas a game, its not.

I would do that.. I don't believe grave yards are that haunted. I believe once you are dead that your spirit connects to your family or places they enjoyed, not hanging round a grave yard.

i agree even the dead wont wanna hang out in grave yards. yhe body is just a shell, when we die the soul moves on.

i think ur playing with fire. u seem 2 think the ouijas a game, its not.

A game is PRECISELY what it is. Note that it is produced by Parker Brothers, a GAME company. It is a parlour trick and a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alice: It’s your funeral.

Ken: Thanks, Alice.

(Note: We waited five minutes and then began ringing Brother X’s phone. After about 10 minutes he finally answered).

Brother X: What!

Ken: Sorry to wake you, Brother X. This is Ken.

Brother X: What the hell do you want! What’s going on!

Ken: This is extremely important. Have you been experiencing a nightmare just now, or anything else that is strange?

Brother X: The only god--^%^%^% nightmare is going be when I drive over there and break your **&*&&^% face!

Ken: It’s 30-below-zero outside. Your car probably won’t start. But just listen to me for a minute. We contacted an entity named Rantor Rantic on the Ouija Board and ….

Brother X: I swear to God, I am going kick my foot up your ass so far, you’re going to be licking my toes until the 4th of July, and if you call one more time … I mean it, you son-of-b***h.

CLICK!

(Note: I had my call on speaker phone so all in my Ouija group could hear our conversation. Everyone began to make all kinds of wild speculations. My friend Odin, for example, pointed out how eerie is was that Brother X and threatened me and called me a son-of-a-b***h, just as Rantor Rantic had done a number of times.

The speculation was that perhaps Rantor Rantic was a few steps ahead of us, and was manipulating the whole situation. Others argued that this was ridiculous. Clearly, we had more ground to cover, and so the session continued despite the late hour.

your brother should kick your a-- big time...i hope you get what you want but i also hope you don't drag someone else along who doesn't want to be there...your lady friends were smart enough to leave...you have no idea what you are playing with trying to be the world's biggest skeptic...this is very dangerous for you and your friends...

randomhit10

lady friends were smart enough to leave...you have no idea what you are playing with trying to be the world's biggest skeptic...this is very dangerous for you and your friends...

The only thing he's playing with is YOU.

The only thing he's playing with is YOU.

how is he doing that?...is this a big load?

randomhit10

your brother should kick your a-- big time...i hope you get what you want but i also hope you don't drag someone else along who doesn't want to be there...your lady friends were smart enough to leave...you have no idea what you are playing with trying to be the world's biggest skeptic...this is very dangerous for you and your friends...

randomhit10

Yes, well, I'm still waiting for some demon to come along and swallow up my soul. After all, I held my first Ouija session at age 8 -- which was 41 years ago. Since then, I have conducted countless, or at least thousands, of session generating more than a million words of documentation -- yet, nothing bad has ever happened to me as a result.

I also enjoyed neogenisis' comment on psychology and decrying the fact that I am not a psychologist, and am "at odds" with psychologists. Well, I don't see that as a bad thing. I see that as a good thing.

But the fact is, there is no one more at odds with psychologists than other psychologists. Carl Jung thought Freud was nuts, B.F. Skinner thought both of the above were full of it, Maslow favors his hierarchy of needs model while Carl Rogers favors his humanistic model of psychology ... and so on.

The late great astronomer Carl Sagan believed that all psychologists were full of crap -- and called psychology not a science at all, but pseudo-science. I recommend all here to read Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World" where he makes a compelling and scathing attack on modern psychology as "useless."

You know what's hilarious in all this? It's that there is almost no difference between using an Ouija Board and using a psychologist.

You can see that -- right? I mean, you ask the Ouija board a question, and it gives you an answer. You ask a psychologist a question, and guess what, he or she will give you an answer. Both of them give you information that reflects back on what you spoke to them -- you send your communication into the Ouija or the psychologist -- and communication comes back out at you -- and either way, you have to interpret that communication and make it your own.

There is a Buddhist saying: "There are no dialogues, only monologues." Think about that. The Buddhists are right.

Unfortunately, a psychologist will charge you $90 and hour to reflect back your own ramblings -- whereas I have yet to get a bill from MOMMY, or any other Ouija entity.

Yes, well, I'm still waiting for some demon to come along and swallow up my soul. After all, I held my first Ouija session at age 8 -- which was 41 years ago. Since then, I have conducted countless, or at least thousands, of session generating more than a million words of documentation -- yet, nothing bad has ever happened to me as a result.

I also enjoyed neogenisis' comment on psychology and decrying the fact that I am not a psychologist, and am "at odds" with psychologists. Well, I don't see that as a bad thing. I see that as a good thing.

But the fact is, there is no one more at odds with psychologists than other psychologists. Carl Jung thought Freud was nuts, B.F. Skinner thought both of the above were full of it, Maslow favors his hierarchy of needs model while Carl Rogers favors his humanistic model of psychology ... and so on.

The late great astronomer Carl Sagan believed that all psychologists were full of crap -- and called psychology not a science at all, but pseudo-science. I recommend all here to read Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World" where he makes a compelling and scathing attack on modern psychology as "useless."

You know what's hilarious in all this? It's that there is almost no difference between using an Ouija Board and using a psychologist.

You can see that -- right? I mean, you ask the Ouija board a question, and it gives you an answer. You ask a psychologist a question, and guess what, he or she will give you an answer. Both of them give you information that reflects back on what you spoke to them -- you send your communication into the Ouija or the psychologist -- and communication comes back out at you -- and either way, you have to interpret that communication and make it your own.

There is a Buddhist saying: "There are no dialogues, only monologues." Think about that. The Buddhists are right.

Unfortunately, a psychologist will charge you $90 and hour to reflect back your own ramblings -- whereas I have yet to get a bill from MOMMY, or any other Ouija entity.

how do you know your soul has not been swallowed up already?...

randomhit10

how do you know your soul has not been swallowed up already?...

randomhit10

Because I bought one of those iSoul kits from Macintosh. It ran a scan on my soul and found it in tact - but just to be safe I also used the iSoul to back up my soul in case it crashes.

Because I bought one of those iSoul kits from Macintosh. It ran a scan on my soul and found it in tact - but just to be safe I also used the iSoul to back up my soul in case it crashes.

the biggest part of the great deception is not letting the mark know he's been had....

randomhit10

how is he doing that?...is this a big load?

Of course it is. Don't be ridiculous.

That doesn't make it any more likely that ghosts talk to you through a piece of cardboard. And they are odds at times...but there are certain fundmental truths that they are not at odds on.

That's a ridiculous statement. One is a piece of cardboard that does nothing but sometimes reflects the ideomotor effect. The other is a trained observer of human behavior and has insight into how and why a person might possibly behave the way that they do.

That's a ridiculous statement. One is a piece of cardboard that does nothing but sometimes reflects the ideomotor effect. The other is a trained observer of human behavior and has insight into how and why a person might possibly behave the way that they do.

Gonna have to agree on that one. I almost had a brick in my pants after reading that.