Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worlds biggest Christ...

Beckys_Mom

Christ strikes again?? lol :P

Amazing moment the world's biggest Christ was struck by lightning

Last updated at 00:34am on 13th February 2008

This was the dramatic scene as the world's largest statue of Jesus was hit by lightning.

The bolt parted the thunderclouds over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to strike Christ the Redeemer.

The statue is 130ft tall, is made of 700 tons of reinforced concrete and stands atop the 2,296ft Corcovado mountain overlooking the city.

(any wonder it was struck...reiforced concrete..the only way to reinforce concrete is with metal rods, it holds it together) ;)

linked-image

It was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World in 2007.

Sunday's storm caused havoc in Rio, felling trees in several neighbourhoods - but did not damage the statue.

This amazing photograph gives whole new meaning to the phrase "May God strike me with lightning if........." lol

Id say that must get struck many times...with the heap of metal that holds that thing together...any wonder...but its an amazing pic....

I read comments on other sites about it, I 1st saw this pic in a newspaper in work....the comments were ......

I imagine that being one of the highest points around it gets struck by lightning frequently. Pretty cool to have it caught by a camera though.

- L Martin, Woodstock, Georgia, USA

It means Jesus has come back! He was obviously born at the exact moment the lightning hit the statue. He was born in the slum of Rio. Brazil is the world's largest Catholic country. Finally, he's back! Out of the slums he will rise to perform miracles among the poor and hopeless. Amen!

OR, maybe it's just because lightning tends to strike the tallest object in a given area. Either way, my rosaries are on overdrive. :lol:

- Jay, London

EnLIGHTENing!

- Dennis, UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

Edited by Beckys_Mom

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Irish

• Atheist God

• MissMelsWell

That's a pretty awesome picture.....and the quotes are hilarious :lol:

I'm glad it wasn't damaged though.

I thought it was an awsome pic...I saw it today in the Daily Mirror at work....talk about striking it lucky.....with the camera lol...sorry bad pun lol :lol:

I'll bet a lot of people will think its a sign of jesus coming lol...when really it was most likely the tone of metal that holds it together that caused it...its a no brainer!!! :lol:

So, was that a sign from god? :D

It means Jesus has come back! He was obviously born at the exact moment the lightning hit the statue. He was born in the slum of Rio. Brazil is the world's largest Catholic country. Finally, he's back! Out of the slums he will rise to perform miracles among the poor and hopeless. Amen!

Hey... there is many a true word said in jest. :innocent:

COOL picture Geri!!!!! I like it!

Like you, I'd guess that Christ the Redeemer gets hit by lightning pretty often, this is just the first time it's been captured on film. It is after all a statue with steel reinforcement. He's like a great big lightning rod. LOL

Neat though, I like that photograph!

Well, it's a huge statue and the pics I seen are really good (I read this online somewhere else), and it is depicting Christ, which makes it kinda funny. I mean, you knwo the saying..If I'm wrong may I be struck by lighting LOL

Seriously, though, I don;t see how this is 'news'. Loads of large things get hit by lightning - that's how it works. I mean, just look at where this thing is situated. I'd be surprised if it wasn't hit a few times already.

COOL picture Geri!!!!! I like it!

Like you, I'd guess that Christ the Redeemer gets hit by lightning pretty often, this is just the first time it's been captured on film. It is after all a statue with steel reinforcement. He's like a great big lightning rod. LOL

Neat though, I like that photograph!

It is brill MissMels isnt it? lol and the best thing is..it hardly got damaged

I thought it was a joke pic in the papers..but then it was plastered in all the papers and so I looked it up on google to see more on it..and wow there was so much feedback on it...

I'll bet the person that took that pic got big bucks for publishing it :yes:

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase - May God strike me with lightning if...........!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Brings new meaning to the phrase, "may god strike me with lightening if.................." :P

So what message was god almighty sending this time ? I'll take a confirmation bias please...with fries

I don't think God is sending any message with this one, it's just a big statue (a cool one) with a lot of steel rebar in it, and an electrical storm... no message, just natural meteorological science.

So, was that a sign from god?

But which god? Looks to me like Zeus is getting a word in edgewise :) .

My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:5-8

You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3

All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. Isaiah 44:9

Do not turn to idols or make gods of cast metal for yourselves. I am HaShem, your G-d. Leviticus 19:4

It does not happen very often, but I agree with you Gideon :tu:

Same odds as the lighting strike :D

Brings new meaning to the phrase, "may god strike me with lightening if.................." :P

So what message was god almighty sending this time ? I'll take a confirmation bias please...with fries

He was saying that its probably going to thunderstorm.

I find it sad that my cartoon pic of Frankenjesus was taken down because someone complained yet nation wide christians found it outragous that muslims complained about cartoons about thier faith saying ' it's just a cartoon' ......... hypocrits.

I find it sad that my cartoon pic of Frankenjesus was taken down because someone complained yet nation wide christians found it outragous that muslims complained about cartoons about thier faith saying ' it's just a cartoon' ......... hypocrits.

As I explained to you in PM,

It did not have anything to do with the topic at hand and only serves as flamebaiting. Pictures like that would be better reserved for the appropriate thead like the funny picture gallery.

You know the rules if you disagree with a moderator action

It does not happen very often, but I agree with you Gideon :tu:

Same odds as the lighting strike :D

cobblers irish pure cobblers

REALITY CHECK

The statue is from reinforced concrete held by a ton of metal rod...THATS WHY!!!! NOTHING TO DO WITH IDOLS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

go stand on the highest mountain ...attach yourself to metal rods and when the thunder and lightining starts.....see what happens!

if god was going to strik a statue of his son.....ummm he would have destroyed it YEARS AGO...silly gooses ....I swear sometimes people just like to act silly :rolleyes:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Indeed. To attribute this to God is nothing short of insanity.

Exactly lol it is so stupid to think it must be an act of God lol....

Exactly lol it is so stupid to think it must be an act of God lol....

I fail to see where I attributed the lightning strike as an act of God. That a very big assumption on your part. I was simply agreeing with Gideon that we should not be wasting our time or energy building religious icons that is expressly forbidden to do so from the very book they clutch in the other hand.

Irish

I'll waste my time lookin' at it.. it's a neat-o photograph. :)

I'm not big on icons at all, you won't find me owning any, displaying any or even giving them any thought... however I don't begrudge any other faiths right to build them and won't tell them they're wrong for doing so.

It's a neat picture!

I fail to see where I attributed the lightning strike as an act of God. That a very big assumption on your part. I was simply agreeing with Gideon that we should not be wasting our time or energy building religious icons that is expressly forbidden to do so from the very book they clutch in the other hand.

Irish

*checks birth certificate*....nnnnnnnnnnnope I wasnt born yesterday...sorry Irish...could you pull the other one?? :huh:

GID posted that due to it being an idol being struck.......and so many (even in the article) think it was some act of God

GID posted that as if to say - Dont make fake idols..this is what happens...he posted it...you read it you agreed ever so eagerly.....so im allergic to wool...so im afraid pulling it over my yes is a bit daft!!!!!!!!!!

I kNOW GID would agree too

Edited by Beckys_Mom

GID posted that due to it being an idol being struck.......and so many (even in the article) think it was some act of God

GID posted that as if to say - Dont make fake idols..this is what happens...he posted it...you read it you agreed ever so eagerly.....so im allergic to wool...so im afraid pulling it over my yes is a bit daft!!!!!!!!!!

I kNOW GID would agree too

Actually, I just posted a few quotes from the Bible about idols. I did not comment, myself. I have no objections against statues. I copied and pasted them from a Jewish antimissionary web site I go to.

http://p069.ezboard.com/fmessiahtruthfrm1....icID=3027.topic

Back in "Biblical" times, it would have definitely been interpreted as the wrath of God. I don't believe in worshipping statues, but I do have a little "shelf of Gods" in my bedroom. From the left to the right, there is an angel candle holder, the Chinese God of Abundance (don't remember his name), Chac, the Mayan Rain God, Kuan Yin, Moses (by Michangelo, in marble), and the Archangel Gabriel. In back of them are two tiles portraying two of the Chagall stained glass windows, from Jerulasem. I don't worship them, although I occasionally pat the Kuan Yin on the head. But that statue is S. America is prayed to. Who's to say whether it "means something" or not?

Edited by GIDEON MAGE

Actually, I just posted a few quotes from the Bible about idols. I did not comment, myself. I have no objections against statues. I copied and pasted them from a Jewish antimissionary web site I go to.

http://p069.ezboard.com/fmessiahtruthfrm1....icID=3027.topic

Back in "Biblical" times, it would have definitely been interpreted as the wrath of God. I don't believe in worshipping statues, but I do have a little "shelf of Gods" in my bedroom. From the left to the right, there is an angel candle holder, the Chinese God of Abundance (don't remember his name), Chac, the Mayan Rain God, Kuan Yin, Moses (by Michangelo, in marble), and the Archangel Gabriel. In back of them are two tiles portraying two of the Chagall stained glass windows, from Jerulasem. I don't worship them, although I occasionally pat the Kuan Yin on the head. But that statue is S. America is prayed to. Who's to say whether it "means something" or not?

Its not a question of what you posted GID...its a question of WHY you chose to do it

what was your reason to post it...from looking at a pic of Jesus being struck ?

It's just a coincidence people... It doesn't surprise me as a statue of this size most likely has rebar and other steel supports inside the structure which turns it into a lightning rod.