Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'£10 licence to smoke' proposed

glorybebe

Smokers could be forced to pay £10 for a permit to buy tobacco if a government health advisory body gets its way.

No one would be able to buy cigarettes without the permit, under the idea proposed by Health for England.

Its chairman, Professor Julian Le Grand, told BBC Radio 5 Live the scheme would make a big difference to the number of people giving up smoking.

But smokers' rights group Forest described the idea as "outrageous", given how much tax smokers already pay.

Professor Le Grand, a former adviser to ex-PM Tony Blair, said cash raised by the proposed scheme would go to the NHS.

He said it was the inconvenience of getting a permit - as much as the cost - that would deter people from persisting with the smoking habit.

"You've got to get a form, a complex form - the government's good at complex forms; you have got to get a photograph.

"It's a little bit of a problem to actually do it, so you have got to make a conscious decision every year to opt in to being a smoker."

link

Yeah, great reasoning...and like someone with a license isn't going to sell the tobacco to others who don't have licenses for a profit? Come on, use some common sense here!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hissie Sola

• chemical-licker

• glorybebe

• AngelXVI

:D <---smug mode, i dont smoke :lol: i dont care :lol:

I don't smoke either, but, I can see the problems with this one thing exploding into a tonne of others.

What kind of nonsense is this!

Actually, I can't even be surprised anymore by all the insane things the government thinks of to get people to stop smoking :angry2:

Actually, I can't even be surprised anymore by all the insane things the government thinks of to get people to stop smoking :angry2:

I don't think it has anything to do with stopping smoking.... It's more of a way to raise more money to fund social security to pay for the ones who take advantage of it....

I don't think it has anything to do with stopping smoking.... It's more of a way to raise more money to fund social security to pay for the ones who take advantage of it....

Well, they were talking about detering people from smoking, so that's kinda how I formed my conclusion;

He said it was the inconvenience of getting a permit - as much as the cost - that would deter people from persisting with the smoking habit.

But of course it is also about money. Sadly, everything is always about money.

Edited by The_Scorpion

No.

I don't smoke but I think that for the most part the goverment has no right to stop other people from smoking. Not in a hospital, oh I can understand that, a restaraunt, sure, but now its going to "the sidewalk" a open public place like a park, or your own freakin car.

No.

I don't smoke but I think that for the most part the goverment has no right to stop other people from smoking. Not in a hospital, oh I can understand that, a restaraunt, sure, but now its going to "the sidewalk" a open public place like a park, or your own freakin car.

:tu:

i dont smoke, but see what happens when you let the little things with this government go, they end up pushing their luck to see how far they can go, plain and simple, we are all to blame because we put up with it, from rip off prices from petrol all the way through to toll charges on the roads.

As long as they're proposing a similar license for Alcohol - fine. I really can't see that happening, somehow, though.

Can we PLEASE have a general election, already?

As long as they're proposing a similar license for Alcohol - fine. I really can't see that happening, somehow, though.

so am not the only one that wants to throw someone out, i wish the Queen would dissovle parliament change prime-minister and then force a general election has soon as, surely somthing can be done, instead of us all waiting for the inevitable, time is of the essence

Why do you want mass riots in your streets? :P

Smokers could be forced to pay £10 for a permit to buy tobacco if a government health advisory body gets its way.

No one would be able to buy cigarettes without the permit, under the idea proposed by Health for England.

Its chairman, Professor Julian Le Grand, told BBC Radio 5 Live the scheme would make a big difference to the number of people giving up smoking.

But smokers' rights group Forest described the idea as "outrageous", given how much tax smokers already pay.

Professor Le Grand, a former adviser to ex-PM Tony Blair, said cash raised by the proposed scheme would go to the NHS.

"You've got to get a form, a complex form - the government's good at complex forms; you have got to get a photograph.

"It's a little bit of a problem to actually do it, so you have got to make a conscious decision every year to opt in to being a smoker."

link

Yeah, great reasoning...and like someone with a license isn't going to sell the tobacco to others who don't have licenses for a profit? Come on, use some common sense here!

I just think its strange to have to get a license to buy tobacco just to get cancer,go figure.

or just to get your money.

Maybe they will come out with a license to buy food too!

No... You'll just need one to eat it :innocent:

I love how they play it off like their intentions are simply to deter people from smoking.

"Just tryin to help you quit... :innocent: Now take out your ****ing checkbook."

i dont smoke, but see what happens when you let the little things with this government go, they end up pushing their luck to see how far they can go, plain and simple, we are all to blame because we put up with it, from rip off prices from petrol all the way through to toll charges on the roads.

Exactly! And they will keep pushing until the people push back! But they won,t just yet because the government starts like you say, with the little things that they have already convinced with P.C. and propaganda, is stepping on good citizens rights! And when they have blinded everyone alot with all that P.C. crap and selfrighteous bull. look out and get ready to say good by to everything you have now! And don,t think they won,t find a scape goat to point the finger at when the time comes, and it just might and very probably be the unsuspecting good citizens! And pushing back then won,t help,cause it will take all out war or nothing!

I don't give a damn, just as long it helps prevents me from getting cancer by 2nd hand smoke =/

I agree with the above poster I don't give a damn I detest smoking the apartment i moved into stunk of it until the carpet was cleaned and I bought a air cleaner it still smells a bit though. I don't feel sorry for smokers I mean it's very hard to quit but I lose sympathy for them when I have to breathe it in giving me a sore throat and trouble breathing for the next 5-8 hours. I have asthma too so really I don't feel for them.