Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wooden supercar

Owlscrying

linked-image

A US designer is working on the world's first wooden supercar.

Joe Harmon, 27, started the project with other students at North Carolina State University to see whether it was possible to build a performance car out of wood.

Their creation - the Splinter - should be completed later this year and they believe it should be capable of speeds in excess of 240mph.

Mr Harmon said: "Wood is a truly amazing material to work with. It has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than aluminium or steel, and it possesses a versatility that makes many different types of construction techniques possible.

go

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legatus Legionis

• ~Onyx~

• MissMelsWell

• swtp

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well that's one hell of a work when that car would end up smashing through a wall of something.. remake everything.

well that's one hell of a work when that car would end up smashing through a wall of something.. remake everything.

Yeah, it may look cool, but I wouldn't want to test drive it.

Yeah, it may look cool, but I wouldn't want to test drive it.

easy on the eye for termites too.. and birds.. and all sorts of wood loving creatures.

I like it -like the name 'Splinter', its better than toothpick or twig...

I wonder if the hot exhaust from the engine will give it that charcoal-briquet smell or the chimney fire smell, both I like.

^^^^ :rofl:

I mean really... one of the reasons we like metal and fiberglass for cars is because it's light weight--less weight equals better speed. What's this thing made of? Balsa?

Didn't anyone tell this kid that no one really liked woody paneled cars even when they were popular?

This can't be a safe vehicle either. :no:

And with the right amount of time and a proper knife, you to can make it into a convertable.

I think it,s very creative, and looks great! Kind of reminds me of the life size pic i saw of a dragster made out of match sticks, with the guy sitting in it! But i doubt that one had an engine! But it,s a great piece of art, and no doubt a fun hobby for guys who love that sort of thing!

^^^^ :rofl:

I mean really... one of the reasons we like metal and fiberglass for cars is because it's light weight--less weight equals better speed. What's this thing made of? Balsa?

Didn't anyone tell this kid that no one really liked woody paneled cars even when they were popular?

This can't be a safe vehicle either. :no:

roflmao exactly mel :lol: