Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter Harmful To Children?

MandM

After reading that garbage, my children will now watch Harry Potter more.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• HerNibs

• Noteaph

• Drago

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grew up during the initial reigns of Dungeon and Dragons. We were thought of as Satanic and I even had friends that died playing the game. Most of us that played were chrisitan and we knew that this was mythologically based. Quite a few of you on this board and readers of Harry Potter or the Lord of the rings, owe people like me. I personally as my friends did, went through hell just for the need to express our imaginations freely. I remember the first Dungeon and Dragons game that I got. It was on a floppy disk for a friends computer. It was burned with my first metallica tape in 1985. I'm still hurt!!! HARRY POTTER IS NOT THE DEVIL!!! Just one of the henchmen...

Dude, I played Duke Nukem 3D without parent lock when I was 7. D&D is nothing. xD

I read up until half of page five, and just wanted to post. (x Who cares what such and such promotes? You don't get all worked up over vodka commericals, or explicit advertisements promoting perfume. Who cares? I don't see wiccas getting upset because you let your kids read the Bible, whoop-di-do. "Oohh, but it's Christianity! They wouldn't get upset!" Oh, of course not, I forget. O:

I have plenty of Christian friends that read HP, and love it absolutely. It's a story. It's great. Who really cares if a kid waves a wand, or goes to potions class, and has an incredible dislike of Professor Snape? No one cares, because it's a book, and it's fiction.

A book would be total suck if you didn't apply realistic elements to it, so kudos to Rowling, for doing her research.

I think EVERYONE is in agreement that this thread is BS squared. Perhaps that mods should consider closing it, as the OP just seems to have done a drive-by-posting, and hasn't returned to defend anything.

"'the harry potter books showed me that magic is real'"

HAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

lol XD I swear...some people ar just frigen gullible.Moreso than I am.

I would rather my daughter become interested in Wicca than whatever fundamentalist, judgmental religion you claim to be representing.

At least she will have friends.

Same here XD.Zing!

I didn't even bother watching the video... why would I want to waste five minutes of my life watching something that's absolute BS?

I'm in total agreement with everyone here... Let the kids have their fun and read a good book series. It's better than having them sitting in front of TV all day.

Just my take on it.

I think EVERYONE is in agreement that this thread is BS squared. Perhaps that mods should consider closing it, as the OP just seems to have done a drive-by-posting, and hasn't returned to defend anything.

As I said, it was either

A) the OP expected Pagan-Haters to agree with him, only to get the opposite reaction.

or

B: it was a troll.

I'm starting to think it's B. Come to think of it, I remember there was another member here that posted some stupid video some time ago in both the General Discussion & Spiritualty, Religion and Beliefs boards, telling us it "will touch our hearts". I don't know what the video was, I never clicked on it, but I think it was an anti-Harry Potter video also. She also got the same reaction that happened here and never posted afterwards.

Edited by Walter Sullivan

Some people have too much time on there hands. To criticize a fictional book. Man, to think there's wars out there, crimes against children and/or other horrors out there. We've been worried about the wrong things! It’s Harry Potter, that’s the real problem! COME ON! GET A LIFE!

From the video, it sounds like propaganda to getting people to become christians than to tell people that Harry Potter is bad. And even if so, I have read the entire series of Harry potter and I have no wish to become a wiccan.

i hate harry potter with my life

only losers who need to escape reality read it i was flicking aroudn on tv and i saw this thing about harry potter and all these loser kids were on the tv

...Did you know that the Harry Potter series describes witchcraft and the Occult with amazing precision and accuracy?

So what do you all think? After learning the things in the YouTube clip I know my outlook is different. Do the rest of you still think Harry Potter is a good thing for our society?

A: Of course Harry Potter describes witchcraft. That's what the entire books about!

B: I think everyone should keep their opinions to themselves and quit acting like idiots. Who knows if Harry Potter is good for society. It's fiction for crepe's sakes!

Edited by Celia543

as to the remarks made by Real children people should never rely on youtube especially or wikipedia, hell news on tv is censored and doctored etc. I mean i could do the same thing with anything, perhaps i should make my statement against Zoo's "When i go to the Zoo it makes me really excited i would love to be able to live with Lions" Andrew 10.....omg.....Zoo's are evil they promote beastiality and that is just wrong see that kid even said he like want to live with Lions which means he must want to mate with them when he gets older.

its just a kids book , people put too much on it , although chronicles of narnia made me want to be a talking lion for the first 14 years of my life ..if only that worked out .. grr <_<

You're saying it all wrong....it's LeviOHsa! LMAO! How's my Hermione impression?

ROFL nice one Glorybebe.

OK... so the charge is that the HP books introduce children to the specifics of whitchcraft and Wicca ? Well, lets take a look at that for the moment;

Have you noticed that one thing that HP does NOT do is explain the underlying mechanisms of the "magic" as practiced by HP and friends ? As you read the books, the students of Hogwarts are taught all SORTS of things (potions, herblore, charms etc etc) but at NO point is there any discussion of how the magic actually WORKS.

Even the verbal spells are an obvious mish-mash of common words, usually with a 'latin' echo.

Hence we have

Aveda Kadavra .. an echo of "Abracadabra"

Petrificus Totalis .. a semi-latin root for 'petrify', plus the word 'total'.

Wingardia Leviosa .. the word "Wing" and a hint at the word 'levitation'.

Imperious - an actuall word, meaning 'someone with an authoritarian demeanor or manner'.. and ultimately derived from the term 'Emporer' or 'ruler'.

And Harry Potters favourite: Expelliarmus, which is a clear merting of two latin roots: Expel (to banish or remove) and 'Armus' (weapons).

In the light of this, I fail to see how anyone can accuse Rowling of using 'authentic wicca spells' or 'teaching witchcraft'. Did wiccans use Latin ?

Interestingly, in both the books and the films, Hogwarts celebrates Christmas, but NOT Halloween.

Meow Purr.

Interestingly, in both the books and the films, Hogwarts celebrates Christmas, but NOT Halloween.

Meow Purr.

Not that it matters much, but I believe Halloween is celebrated in at least the early books. Though, I also didn't think that traditionally Halloween was a very big holiday in England - it's mostly being adopted because of it's popularity in American culture.

Edited by Nocturnal

HAHAHAHA! Wow....just wow....Harry Potter harmful to children? HAHAHAHA! Its a book, a fictional book. Anyone who reads further into that is just stupid. And to anyone who does....get over it!

They just dont have imaginations is the problem,I think there jealouse of those who actually have one X).

Uhm, Harry Potter has amazingly dark and morbid undertones. You'd have to either be an idiot or have never read the books not to see that. Even the first book has some chilling things not good for kids, and my ten year old brother isn't getting his hands on the fourth or up for another while. =P

That's all there is to it though... that video takes it WAAAY too far.

A lot of things are like that, take the lion kind for example, Scar murders Moufasa (or however its spelt) and then want to kill Simba. There are a lot of dark characters in books, if you look deep enough.

• 2 weeks later...

and they're saying it's bad that kids are switching to a different religion? can't that be considered prejudice?

Not that it matters much, but I believe Halloween is celebrated in at least the early books. Though, I also didn't think that traditionally Halloween was a very big holiday in England - it's mostly being adopted because of it's popularity in American culture.

Halloween was originally the Wiccan/Pagan holiday called Samhain and was considered the beginning of the new year for these people. Carving pumpkins was one of their traditions used to scare away negative spirits. However, the church didn't like Pagan religions, so they covered up this sacred holiday with All Saints Day, I believe. But, the Pagan undertones didn't go away, and the holiday was eventually transfered here to the United States when people immigrated and colonized the area. So no, Halloween is INCREDIBLY important in England and the United States for Pagans.

and they're saying it's bad that kids are switching to a different religion? can't that be considered prejudice?

Yes it can. And considering we have the FREEDOM OF RELIGION in the US means that it's perfectly fine for children to switch to Paganism if they want to. Is Paganism even remotely similar to Harry Potter? No. Could it increase the interest in Paganism? Possibly. Is this a bad thing? No. Just because the church has steriotyped Paganism so much doesn't mean it's evil or wrong. Pagans do NOT worship the devil, dance around in the forest naked and have orgies, or sacrifice animals or children.

Yes it can. And considering we have the FREEDOM OF RELIGION in the US means that it's perfectly fine for children to switch to Paganism if they want to. Is Paganism even remotely similar to Harry Potter? No. Could it increase the interest in Paganism? Possibly. Is this a bad thing? No. Just because the church has steriotyped Paganism so much doesn't mean it's evil or wrong. Pagans do NOT worship the devil, dance around in the forest naked and have orgies, or sacrifice animals or children.

If they did though, I would so be joining!

If they did though, I would so be joining!

LOL!!!! :lol: See, if they did do this, Matt would already know!