Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter Harmful To Children?

MandM

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• HerNibs

• Noteaph

• Drago

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this whole topic funny as hell.

Clearly, anyone that hates HP for religions reasons, has completely overlooked the fact that half of the characters believe in God and practice Christian beliefs.

What sillies! :3

I am the biggest Harry Potter fan on UM ... and possibly the world!!! I am so sick of these over righteous people trying to make something bad out of these wonderfully well written books!!!!! The moral of the story is LOVE .... how can something evil be made out of that???? :huh: I am a faithful Christian .... and believe me .... I am sure God has no problem with JK Rowling's attempt to promote LOVE to children of all ages (I am almost 38 and have read them all at least 3 times a piece).

Fact people especially some Christians are so easy to judge what they think is wrong .... that they forget that judging is a sin itself!!!!!!

***Nxt gets off her soapbox****

My best friends aunt was one of those weirdos that thought harry potter was evil. It was banned from her house. So were other movies and books that had anything to do with magic or fantasy. I sent her a letter once and in the letter I said that I was watching Practical Magic, and the aunt sent a letter to my mom saying I was a satanist. :lol:

Those types are just freaks. There's nothing you can do about them. Let them believe what they will. Its really only because Harry Potter was popular. There are a lot of books out there that are a bit more accurate. . .but they weren't as popular. . .

But, really, if witchcraft involved all the stuff that was in Harry Potter, then I think we'd all be doing it. Its a fantasy book. . .and you need a pretty long stretch of the imagination to make it anything close to real witchcraft. What about the Wizard of Oz or the Lord of the Rings? I think The Lord of the Rings would have gotten me more interested in the occult than Harry Potter. I don't really know because I've always been Pagan. . .but it seems to me that book would have made me more curious. I think it inspired me to get into scandanavian mythology. ..and if I weren't already pagan, that might have led to me becoming one.

Another thing ... look at all the Disney cartoons/movies ..... they are all fantasy to an extent .... with lots of magic ..... I bet the same people that ban Harry Potter let their children watch and own all the classic Disney movies ..... hypocrites!!

My best friends aunt was one of those weirdos that thought harry potter was evil. It was banned from her house. So were other movies and books that had anything to do with magic or fantasy. I sent her a letter once and in the letter I said that I was watching Practical Magic, and the aunt sent a letter to my mom saying I was a satanist. :lol:

Those types are just freaks. There's nothing you can do about them. Let them believe what they will. Its really only because Harry Potter was popular. There are a lot of books out there that are a bit more accurate. . .but they weren't as popular. . .

But, really, if witchcraft involved all the stuff that was in Harry Potter, then I think we'd all be doing it. Its a fantasy book. . .and you need a pretty long stretch of the imagination to make it anything close to real witchcraft. What about the Wizard of Oz or the Lord of the Rings? I think The Lord of the Rings would have gotten me more interested in the occult than Harry Potter. I don't really know because I've always been Pagan. . .but it seems to me that book would have made me more curious. I think it inspired me to get into scandanavian mythology. ..and if I weren't already pagan, that might have led to me becoming one.

Regarding the part of your statement that I bolded. I don't care what they believe but I will have a fit if they try to censor or ban any books. Especially books that got so many young people reading.

:)

I do understand what you are saying.

HN

Yeah, me too. Book banning doesn't go over too well with me. I don't think its right for them to keep their children from reading to begin with, but then trying to take that away from other children as well . . . That's wrong on the deepest level.

I don't think alot of people think about how they're hurting they're own kids by putting restrictions on them as to what they can read. My parents never did that, and I was and still am an avid reader.

I was just talking about people that come on to the internet and post weird rants about harry potter. Its best to ignore them. They can say its evil all they want, but they aren't really going to be able to do anything other than gripe. Maybe in the real world they can try. . .but Harry Potter is so popular, I think they better be ready to get trampled by a mob. :D

My sister at first frowned on Harry Potter because of her religion (evangelical christian) but eventually my nephew read them. She didn't allow him to see The Golden Compass though which I though was hilarious. I read all three Dark Trilogy books and I get that some people thought it had deep atheistic undertones, but guess what ? It was a kids book...people need to get over it...

Yah book banning is just plain wrong and I am currently working on a book that will make book banners go nuts when they see it. But thats assuming I get it written and published.

It's really messed up.

Sounds like another Jack Chick track... He tried to prepare us for the big D&D scourge....

I have read the Harry Potter books due to the fact that my wife enjoyed them and I had watched a few of the movies with her. I broke down and read them before "Deathly Hallows" had come out and read them straight through. I found them to be a pretty good read and was entertained by a story about a boy, who was branded as a liar by an adversary he had to save the world from. What kid didn't dream of having some sort of "power" to do things. I wanted super powers and a cape would help my fly, I soon realized after jumping off a picnic table with a towel tied round my neck that gravity was a stronger power then my superman dreams.

These YouTube videos seem rather tripe and silly to me. If someone thinks Harry Potter is of the devil, then don't read them. Simple concept really, kind of like turning off the TV if you don't like the shows that are on.

Since the books first came out, sane Christians have noted moral and enlightened aspects of the books that don't contradict sane Christianity. Insane Christians can go . . .

Her Nibs has the most sensible avatar thumbnail ever.

Since the books first came out, sane Christians have noted moral and enlightened aspects of the books that don't contradict sane Christianity. Insane Christians can go . . .

Her Nibs has the most sensible avatar thumbnail ever.

*bows*

Thank you.

:)

HN

• 2 weeks later...

i realy doubt that the series would harm a childs "morality" but if a child is really into harry potter all they would have to do is type "real magic" in google and that would lead them strait to wicca. i personally dont see a problem with it, but man there really are some crazy christians parrents out there

*looks around nervously*

lol maybe this explains why i got mugged by a kid with a harry potter wand when he jabbed me in the eye

My guess is that most people on this forum have either read some of the Harry Potter books or have seen some of the Harry Potter movies, or you have children who are very much into these things.

If so, this is a YouTube video that you have GOT to see:

Most people think that Harry Potter is a safe, fun, fantasy world that is great entertainment for our children, but as the film shockingly shows, that is not the case at all.

Did you know that the Harry Potter series describes witchcraft and the Occult with amazing precision and accuracy?

Did you know that the Harry Potter series is doing an amazing job of recriting our children into Occult religions?

One of the most stunning things in the film is the way that children describe the impact that Harry Potter has had on them. What the children have to say about Harry Potter will blow your mind.

Trust me, you will never look at Harry Potter the same way again.

So what do you all think? After learning the things in the YouTube clip I know my outlook is different. Do the rest of you still think Harry Potter is a good thing for our society?

I hope to God that this is true. That way when the little kiddies find out that they can't do majicks, we can all point and laugh.

I think the only way Harry Potter is harmful to kids is if you throw a hard back copy of Order of the Phoenix at them.

There are people who says that TOM AND JERRY is harmful to children as it keeps teaching children how to fight!!!!

Thanks

b???

First, I would like to say, bull!!. Next, I will explain to you why.

Every hypocritical person on this planet wants more people in their business. News Editors use the papers to recruit people to their little corrupted business.

Relgion uses gods that save people and special rewards to get more people in there so they can brainwash them.

Even our own schools do this. Everything you stand for goes against what is said in schools. Global Warming, white supremacy, and the stories of what really happened in the past are all hidden by school books and teachers.

J.K. Rowling(An excellent author) wrote these stories for fun. And to entertain. She could have done research so her stories were closer to fact. But, did people see that, No. They saw a chance to corrupt the minds of our children for their own selfish gain. She wrote about magic to keep our minds afloat. To beleive in something that wasn't real. To say, "we have the right to show just how magical our lives are". The possibility of children joining a cult because they read Harry Potter is absurd. They join under other things. Not children novels.

So please, shut the hell up and blame yourself instead of searching for the next best thing.

Thank You.

(To the fool who started this topic) Just What do you consider "

He is not a fool but a human being these statemnnts was raised many time ..

Thanks

B????

I understand where that **** comes from, but its the fault of the parents to lead their children to become satanic demons from a series I read when I was 10.

Wow...that video was kinda true...and the comments from the kids...it was like they were brainwashing them. Harry Potters one of my favorate films, and i must admit..i have thought about how it kinda tells them about magic and things. I never knew about the lightning bolt and things, thats actually pretty bad. It certinly has links...and i don't think i will be able to watch it in the same way.

Amy XD

Every generation has its demon recruitment scares. Used to be D&D in the 80's and rock and roll in the 50's . Heck the world has been going to hell in a handbasket ever since the inquisitioin was disbanded. At least they used to burn the sin (literally) out of anyone suspected of heresy. The NAZIs at least only burned the books and not the authors. Wonder how these fanatics plan to stamp out the percieved satanic influences from society as a whole?

Do the rest of you still think Harry Potter is a good thing for our society?

This does smell of religious propaganda but I suppose allowing kids to read Harry Potter is no less harmful than exposing them to the abrahamic mythologies which contain graphic depictions of 'divinely inspired' genocide -rape,incest,murder etc..

Plulease!!!

It's just commercial religions that moans about this stuff,

All religions are as bad as the next.

"Harry Potter" indeed! lol.

Grow up.