Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter Harmful To Children?

MandM

Absolute rubbish. I'd be much more concerned about what my children see on the internet, or who they decide to befriend at school, or if they're developing any habits I'd think they would be better without. I'm completely against this notion that an innocent and highly enjoyable book series is masquerading as Satan's-deadliest-tool. Really now.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• HerNibs

• Noteaph

• Drago

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess is that most people on this forum have either read some of the Harry Potter books or have seen some of the Harry Potter movies, or you have children who are very much into these things.

If so, this is a YouTube video that you have GOT to see:

Most people think that Harry Potter is a safe, fun, fantasy world that is great entertainment for our children, but as the film shockingly shows, that is not the case at all.

Did you know that the Harry Potter series describes witchcraft and the Occult with amazing precision and accuracy?

Did you know that the Harry Potter series is doing an amazing job of recriting our children into Occult religions?

One of the most stunning things in the film is the way that children describe the impact that Harry Potter has had on them. What the children have to say about Harry Potter will blow your mind.

Trust me, you will never look at Harry Potter the same way again.

So what do you all think? After learning the things in the YouTube clip I know my outlook is different. Do the rest of you still think Harry Potter is a good thing for our society?

I've read all of the harry potter books, there's no such thing as hogworts or anything like it, there's no such thing as flying on broomsticks it's all stereotypical witchcraft, compared to the modern Wicca witchcraft, I'm Wiccan myself, it's nothing like Harry potter

Why do people keep saying its "drawing kids into the occult?"

Firstly, come on, i read the first four books, its just people learning magic as if it were real and using it as a tool for whatever their aims may be.

Second - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE OCCULT. Period. These people sound as if the books are teaching kids how to cast spells and such when that just quite simply doesnt exist. Its harmless fantasy.

Firstly, come on, i read the first four books, its just people learning magic as if it were real and using it as a tool for whatever their aims may be.

Second - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE OCCULT. Period. These people sound as if the books are teaching kids how to cast spells and such when that just quite simply doesnt exist. Its harmless fantasy.

Exactly Torgo, I couldn't agree more :)

Well does anyone here belive Tom and Jerry is harmfull for children(As the church preaches)

Thanks

B???

I've just returned from a long two days away for a funeral and am too tired at the moment to read through all the posts. I'm actually a bit too tired for posting much of anything more, and probably will not be adding anything new, but sometimes, I cannot resist:

First of all, Harry Potter has nothing to do with Wicca or any real world application of witchcraft. It is a fantasy series that does not pretend to be anything but what it is. People that rail against these books in this manner:

a. have no understanding of Wicca whatsoever

b. are insecure in their own faith

c. have probably never actually read the books

Besides, there are worse things than Wicca out there. At least Wiccans do not judge people like some of the Fundamentalist Christian denominations do, and as this Harry Potter hysteria clearly shows. I am an atheist, and if I had children, I would raise them as atheists, but if they expressed an interest in religion, I would hope it was Wicca or something along similar lines.

You probably also think that Yogi bear is a notorius criminal that needs to be stopped by any means necessary, don't cha.

Haha.. Yeah, that's about right. ;)

If you honestly think that Harry Potter is anything but a fantasy story...

then you are .... pretty ..... uhmm.....

yeah...

you get it..

If you want to teach your kid about Wicca, witchcraft or the occult Potter would be a poor choice. I didn't actually read the books, I am not into kids books. I did see the movies which I had to watch several times cause they kept putting me to sleep. LOL People who get into Wicca, because they read Potter don't stay in it anyway. They quickly find out Wicca is nothing like the Potter books and when they find out the year of work and study involved they lose interest. I have also found the more you push a kid away from something the more they want to get into it.

Oh, I know that they don't come into play, but at the end of Compass Asriel dies (and many people considered him to be a God of sorts, so when he died readers interpreted it as "killing God", which supposedly made readers atheist). People can be down right ridiculous sometimes... But, it's no secret that Pullman himself is atheist, and also anti-organized religion--but I don't believe for one second that he tries to make his readers believe the same way.

It was the airships that turned me off in the beginning, because they just didn't seem to flow with the setting. I'll try to look past that though, because I guess it's a reasonable assumption for the time. *Shrug*

Mmm, sad/depressing parts are my favorite. ;D I love seeing characters in epic turmoil. (Admittedly, I'd rather see my own suffer, but we'll make due wherever we can. :lol:)

Lord Asriel doesn't die at the end of Compass... Someone does, yes, but Asriel is still alive, kicking, and plotting in book two.

And if you like sad/depressing, you'll love the books, especially the last one when it all hits the fan.

I agree with the last three quotes, Wicca is nature, Wiccans actually appreciate nature and living creatures for the beauty within, and out, they don't have a book noting every single flaw...eg: according to Christianity, if you wear a low cut top or make up you're branded an indecent woman, and as for all of this "Men power over their wifes"...is absurd , too warped and brainwashed to actually live life the way it should be it angers me that everything is considered a sin, am I not correct in stating that "Everyone is God's children"...or the other favorate "God loves all of his children, and again..."Everyone is equal in the eyes of the Lord"..if this is the case, then why are Christians blasting every other religion, because it's not the same as theirs, we won't go to "Hell", they will have a better chance "Love thy neighbour" ring any bells? Catholicism is the same God, just a different bible...and catholics are considered satanists?...that's so funny as for the vatican aiding hitler, explain this Christians...what about the KKK?...you know, the bunch of weird psychotic white Christians that go around beating and raping african americans, tying them to crosses, burning them, alive torchoring them, because of their beliefs and because they aren't white, according to Christians, from the KKK point of view, all God's children are white...that's a load of balony if God is the Creator , he created everything, including all humans

MURDER is a SIN "Thou Shall NOT kill" am I correct..? as for the Harry Potter books, that's just absurd also if parents thought Potter stories posed any sort of threat on their chiuldren, weather influences or any dark voodoo worshipping or whichever they wouldn't let them read the books

Lord Asriel doesn't die at the end of Compass... Someone does, yes, but Asriel is still alive, kicking, and plotting in book two.

And if you like sad/depressing, you'll love the books, especially the last one when it all hits the fan.

Someone lied to me! DDDD: What is this nonsense.

But, I do love sad/depressing, so hopefully that'll make up for it.

But Asriel does die, right? D: He has to die. It would suck if he didn't.

Grow up.

Good Journey.

Kyle Rajasthan.

Someone lied to me! DDDD: What is this nonsense.

But, I do love sad/depressing, so hopefully that'll make up for it.

But Asriel does die, right? D: He has to die. It would suck if he didn't.

I'm not gonna spoil it, Asriel's fate is a major point of the series. :P

My guess is that most people on this forum have either read some of the Harry Potter books or have seen some of the Harry Potter movies, or you have children who are very much into these things.

If so, this is a YouTube video that you have GOT to see:

Most people think that Harry Potter is a safe, fun, fantasy world that is great entertainment for our children, but as the film shockingly shows, that is not the case at all.

Did you know that the Harry Potter series describes witchcraft and the Occult with amazing precision and accuracy?

Did you know that the Harry Potter series is doing an amazing job of recriting our children into Occult religions?

One of the most stunning things in the film is the way that children describe the impact that Harry Potter has had on them. What the children have to say about Harry Potter will blow your mind.

Trust me, you will never look at Harry Potter the same way again.

So what do you all think? After learning the things in the YouTube clip I know my outlook is different. Do the rest of you still think Harry Potter is a good thing for our society?

"Precision and Accuracy"? Last I looked there weren't a heck of a lot of shops in London selling flying brooms or streets filled with people in witch/wizard robes...

If teaching kids about heroism, bravery, and honesty (With a wonderful guided tour of the Campbellian myth thrown in) is considered a bad thing to you, I don't want to live in a world populated by people like you.

I'm not gonna spoil it, Asriel's fate is a major point of the series. :P

I live for spoilers. ;_;

(I read the last page of Deathly Hallows first, ROFL, and had no idea who "Scorpius" was, and figured, "Ah hell, I'll have to read from the beginning...")

Edited by Ebonykrow

I'm not going to read through twelve plus pages of this, but I am going to say that if people think that Harry Potter is harmful to children, they're tripping. Last time I checked, it was helpful. I don't know too many little kids who actually wanted to sit down and read for sustained periods of time, unprompted. It's also very educational, in the regard that most of the wizarding spells are generated from Latin. Sure as hell know that it helped me in Latin class, hell, I've been reading the books since fourth grade and I did very well in Latin when I got the chance to take it in high school, because of all the basic vocabulary that HP taught me.

Not to mention the fact that it teaches wholesome values, like how people aren't "always separated into good guys and death eaters". (paraphrasing, here) It shows the consequences of succumbing to the dark side. It delves into the semantics of trust, and of choice. The power of love is a redundant theme throughout the novels. Yeah, the characters are young witches and wizards, but so what? One could argue that the War in HP is a reflection of the Holocaust, and shows how people ought to overcome bias. Also, friendship is a huge motif. If that's harmful to children, then I don't even know anymore. People need to open their eyes, IMO.

Also, started watching the film. The bit about the Satanic "S" is complete and utter codswallop. I think I mentioned before that Harry Potter, in a way, reflects the Holocaust, but in no way does a lightning bolt automatically deem the books Satanic. It's a lightning bolt. Think of how versatile that particular symbol is.

Also, Marilyn Manson is not Satanic. I expect that this video was made in the basement of some Bible thumping maniac. *lights a cigarette and walks away*

On the note about "witches and wizards", I just want to add something I learned a long time ago... (Don't take it as truth, because I can't cite the sources, it's just something I read ages, and ages ago.)

Many Christians took elements of Paganism for their own use, one of which is rumoured to be the Christmas tree. Above that, however, the Pentagram was a Christian symbol long before Paganism used it (and merely represents the body, four elements, and the soul). There are also Christian witches, because as a witch, (summarizing here) you can choose a deity(ies) from a number of pantheons (or groups of deities) to worship--one of which would indeed be God. Though you worship God, you're not strictly a Christian, though you do pledge your belief in him while continuing to practice in a mixture of things that incorporate both Paganism and Christianity, but you believe in the single entity that is God even if your rituals are not exact. I really think, if you're going to hate something because of a religious reason, you need to do your research first. :(

As for Slytherin's snake, it's possible it was an incorporation from Christian mythology to represent Voldemort as being "evil". Rowling uses many mythological references, but it in no way makes the book a Satanic one. Just referencing a symbol or using it to represent something doesn't make anything anything else.

This post is wrong on so many levels its quite scary. 'Magic(k)' is a real aspect of our reality. Magic, my friend, is used on you and every one on this globe on a structural basis. The fact you do not know this does NOT mean it isnt so. Open mindedness is a virtue you should explore.

Your second statement is just shocking. You evidently do not know what Occult means.

Check yourself here, you are talking nonsense. Research "John Dee, Aleister Crowley, Aldeous Huxley and Jack Parsons", use this key as an addition> "Babalon Workings". Have fun.

Just dont make staments like that pertaining you hold the truth while in fact you know nothing in context to the subject.

No offence intended.

What is wrong with being a Satanist? It's just another religion, isn't it?

The Harry Potter phenominon got a lot of kids interested in books and reading. Even if some kids sway towards dark occult practises it was still worth it.

What is wrong with being a Satanist? It's just another religion, isn't it?

Indeed it is. I don't see anything wrong with it, personally, like I see nothing wrong with being Muslim or Paganism--two beliefs that are sometimes (okay, often) ridiculed for various reasons. All religions are, and all religions are probably going to clash at some time or another. But, I do have mixed feelings about Satanists, for different reasons, none of which really include the fact they want to worship an "evil" deity.

Edited by Ebonykrow

This post is wrong on so many levels its quite scary. 'Magic(k)' is a real aspect of our reality. Magic, my friend, is used on you and every one on this globe on a structural basis. The fact you do not know this does NOT mean it isnt so. Open mindedness is a virtue you should explore.

Your second statement is just shocking. You evidently do not know what Occult means.

Check yourself here, you are talking nonsense. Research "John Dee, Aleister Crowley, Aldeous Huxley and Jack Parsons", use this key as an addition> "Babalon Workings". Have fun.

Just dont make staments like that pertaining you hold the truth while in fact you know nothing in context to the subject.

No offence intended.

Are you stating that magic is real? Please define magic(k).

HN

No offence intended.

I'm going to say this like I say to the Star Wars religion people.

When you can reach out and choke me with nothing but the power of your mind, I'll believe in the Force. Until then, I'm going to pretend I never heard anything that could be construed as silly.

Likewise magic(k). Holy Hells I hate that K. 'Look, we added a letter! We're different and actually WORK, we have a K!'

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! No, a plane! No, it's SUPERK! With the power to make anything work for REALS!

Normally I have a grudging respect for Aleister Crowley's work outside occultism, but if I could meet the man the first thing I'd do is slug him for deciding to start everyone using that K!

Next we'll have UFOKs, Alienks, Ghostks, Demonks...

Crowley is a fun read. But if you take him seriously on the occult you're headed for schizophrenia.