Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter Harmful To Children?

MandM

As far as I am concerned, if you have a kid that can be easily influenced by a movie or book (I mean life changing influenced, not "cool! HP shirt") then you have other things to worry about.

HN

One of my boys listens to "Death Metal" but he was strange before that. :P

My kids have a wide variety of music tastes, movie tastes and books. The more information they get, the better decisions they can make.

I'm listening to Dean Martin and have tickets to Slip Knot in my purse. :) Will watch Eddie Izzard at two and then Batman this evening.

HN

Edited by HerNibs

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• HerNibs

• Noteaph

• Drago

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As some of you know my wife runs a bookstore & every time a new HP book came out there was always someone complaing about how evil it was & they are going to buy all of them & then burn them...... My wife wants them to buy them from her. :P

It seems we are arriving at the question> what is a message? Does a communication need to be complex to be 'a message'?

Or approaching this from the other side: can a single word, color or symbol contain more information than just that one word (to a conditioned individual)? I think a no and a yes, but maybe Im wrong here. And let me make myself clear, I never implied subliminal messaging could incite (normal) people into a killing spree. Good info.

It's a good question, which is why I specified complex messages. Simple messages can cause the subconscious to sway the conscious mind to small degrees. This brand over that brand, this person over that person. Complex messages, such as those claimed by Fundie Christian 'researchers' to be backmasked into rock music, would have no effect at all. The subconscious can't or won't process these complex messages. They were a victim of their own lack of understanding in that case. Likewise I've never seen any studies that showed backmasked or audio subconscious advertising had any effect at all on anyone. And as I mentioned above, most of those 'satanic messages' were just garbled sound that the Fundies could project whatever they wanted onto. If you take any piece of audio and slow it down sufficiently, it starts to sound evil. Play it slow and in reverse, and presto, instant 'satanic chant'.

Edited by Drago

My guess is that most people on this forum have either read some of the Harry Potter books or have seen some of the Harry Potter movies, or you have children who are very much into these things.

It can't be any worse than allowing young children to read the bible with all its tales of (god approved) cruelty,violence and genocide.

Cruelty and violence in the new testament:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt_list.html

Cruelty and violence in the old testament:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/ot_list.html

yeah its dangerous to children-- it might bore them into oblivion. Seriously!

yeah its dangerous to children-- it might bore them into oblivion. Seriously!

Well, I'm gonna go there. x)

At least they're not reading Twilight.

(I've read HP several times though, not boring yet. :lol:)

Oh, for the love of...!

JK Rowling HERSELF is a friggin' active church-going Presbyterian.

Edited by Smithkakarot

*sigh*

Care to summarize or at least explain what the videos say for those of us unable to view them?

Thanks,

HN

*sigh*

No. Cant be bothered to be completely honest, seeing as its obvious no- one is gonna react in a serious manor.

Im not a fanatic who is convinced this is all an aspect of our combined reality and want to push as such to others.

I do find it interesting enough however to scrutinize this subject somewhat, just wanted a serious discussion.

Quite sad this isnt possible on a forum as UM. :no:

*sigh*

No. Cant be bothered to be completely honest, seeing as its obvious no- one is gonna react in a serious manor.

Im not a fanatic who is convinced this is all an aspect of our combined reality and want to push as such to others.

I do find it interesting enough however to scrutinize this subject somewhat, just wanted a serious discussion.

Really?

I thought many were discussing it quite seriously.

As for the *sigh*, I do not have the ability to view YouTubes/videos at work and have no sound on my computer at home so I have to repeatedly ask for some type of summation.

Besides, if you are looking for a serious discussion, don't you think it would be beneficial to post what the video is about rather than just links?

Oh, and yeah, there are jokes as well as serious discussion.

HN

*sigh*

Can't be bothered to post a summary that would have been shorter than that rant?

Some of the discussion on this topic has been quite serious, but I didn't know it was against the rules to joke a bit.