Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beware of 'slimming' worms

Owlscrying

Hong Kong - Hong Kong health officials on Tuesday warned would-be slimmers not to consume parasitic worms in an attempt to lose weight following adverts for products containing worm eggs.

A health department spokesperson said there was no scientific evidence that infestation with ascaris, a parasitic worm which lives in the intestine, was a way to lose weight.

"Ascaris infestation may also be fatal due to serious complications in human bodies such as intestinal, biliary tract or pancreatic duct obstruction. The worms may invade such organs as the lungs," he said.

"The infestation can be treated with medication that kills the parasite. Surgical removal of the worms may be required in case of obstruction."

Ascaris is the most common worm infection in humans and is mostly found in tropical areas where sanitation and hygiene are poor. Adult worms can grow to more than 30cm long.

go

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• ~Onyx~

• Finsup22

• goalienan

Top Posters In This Topic

They did that back in the 19th century...good grief, you would think that people would know better...

Do you know what those things look like when they hatch?

Ughhh...

They did that back in the 19th century...good grief, you would think that people would know better...

Ughhh...

linked-image

Like this?

^ the bottom pic looks like a sock puppet.

I suppose it COULD be worse..

linked-image

I'd just have to be fat for that high school reunion, that's all there is to it.

Ughhh...

Tapeworms urrghh! I just turned green. I used to get pinworms as a kid from walking in our paddocks with bare feet. That use to skeeve me. Urrrggghhh!!!

Lapiche

Gone Fishing, Be Back Later.......

:lol: I know thats the only way i want to use worms! So can i come along?

actually horse racing jockeys used to use these worms as recent as the 90's to keep their weight in check.

pretty disgusting though lol...

Yummy. Aint that just lovely!

:lol: I know thats the only way i want to use worms! So can i come along?

Of course you can, I'll meet you at the lake ;)

why would someone do that, those can kill a person, just the though is enough for me to not wanna eat...blah...

Well, I guess they're eating for two... or more?!! I always felt hungry after eating chinese food? Double portions anyone?

Edited by Bear's Quest