Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15 misconceptions about Evolution

SunDogDayze

Awesome list of 15 misconceptions about evolution:

Biological evolution is descent with modification. This definition encompasses small-scale evolution (changes in gene frequency in a population from one generation to the next) and large-scale evolution (the descent of different species from a common ancestor over many generations). Evolution helps us to understand the history of life. While evolution is very widely accepted, many people hold to misconceptions about it. This list should help to dispel some of those myths.

Evolution

15. Evolution is a theory about the origin of life

The theory of evolution primarily deals with the manner in which life has changed after its origin. While science is interested in the origins of life (for example the composition of the primeval sludge from which life might have come) but these are not issues covered in the area of evolution. What is known is that regardless of the start, at some point life began to branch off. Evolution is, therefore, dedicated to the study of those processes.

14. Organisms are always getting better

071210 Evolution Hmed2P.Hmedium

While it is a fact that natural selection weeds out unhealthy genes from the gene pool, there are many cases where an imperfect organism has survived. Some examples of this are fungi, sharks, crayfish, and mosses - these have all remained essentially the same over a great period of time. These organisms are all sufficiently adapted to their environment to survive without improvement.

Other taxa have changed a lot, but not necessarily for the better. Some creatures have had their environments changed and their adaptations may not be as well suited to their new situation. Fitness is linked to their environment, not to progress.

13. Evolution means that life changed ‘by chance’

In fact, natural selection is not random. Many aquatic animals need speed to survive and reproduce - the creatures with that ability are more suited to their environment and are more likely to survive natural selection. In turn, they will produce more offspring with the same traits and the cycle continues. The idea that evolution occurs by chance does not take the entire picture in to account.

12. Natural selection involves organisms ‘trying’ to adapt

A103 Human Evolution Poster

Organisms do not “try” to adapt - it is natural selection that enables various members of a group to survive and reproduce. Genetic adaptation is entirely outside of the power of the developing organism.

11. Natural selection gives organisms what they ‘need.’

Natural selection has no “intelligence” - it can not tell what a species needs. If a population has genetic variants that are more suited to their environment, they will reproduce more in the next generation and the population will evolve. If a genetic variant is not present, the population will most likely do - or it will survive with little evolutionary change.

10. Evolution is ‘just’ a theory

Dinosaur Evolution Poster

Scientifically speaking, a theory is a well substantiated idea that explains aspects of the natural world. Unfortunately other definitions of theory (such as a “guess” or a “hunch”) cause a great deal of confusion in the non-scientific world when dealing with the sciences. They are, in fact, two very different concepts.

9. Evolution is a Theory in Crisis

There is no debate in science as to whether or not evolution occurred - there is, however, debate over how it happened. The minutiae of the process is vigorously debated which can cause anti-evolutionists to believe that the theory is in crisis. Evolution is sound science and is treated as such by scientists worldwide.

Just paying the bills...

8. Gaps in the Fossil Record Disprove Evolution

Evolution Of Whales

Actually, many transitional fossils do exist - for example, there are fossils of transitional organisms between modern birds and their dinosaur ancestors, as well as whales and their land mammal ancestors. There are many transitional forms that have not been preserved, but that is simply because some organisms do not fossilize well or exist in conditions that do not allow for the process of fossilization. Science predicts that there will be gaps in the record for many evolutionary changes. This does not disprove the theory.

7. Evolutionary Theory is Incomplete

Evolutionary science is a work in progress. Science is constantly making new discoveries with regard to it and explanations are always adjusted if necessary. Evolutionary theory is like all of the other sciences in this respect. Science is always trying to improve our knowledge. At present, evolution is the only well-supported explanation for all of life’s diversity.

6. The Theory is Flawed

Evolution-Diagram Op 800X467

Science is an extremely competitive field - if any flaws were discovered in evolutionary theory they would be quickly corrected. All of the alleged flaws that creationists put forth have been investigated careful by scientists and they simply do not hold water. They are usually based on misunderstandings of the theory or misrepresentation of the evidence.

5. Evolution is not science because it is not observable

Evolution is observable and testable. The confusion here is that people think science is limited to experiments in laboratories by white-coated technicians. In fact, a large amount of scientific information is gathered from the real world. Astronomers can obviously not physically touch the objects they study (for example stars and galaxies), yet a great deal of knowledge can be gained through multiple lines of study. This is true also of evolution. It is also true that there are many mechanisms of evolution that can be, and are studied through direct experimentation as with other sciences.

4. Most Biologists have rejected Darwinism

Evolution-Poster

Scientists do not reject Darwin’s theories, they have modified it over time as more knowledge has been discovered. Darwin considered that evolution proceeds at a deliberate, slow pace - but in fact it has now been discovered that it can proceed at a rapid pace under some circumstances. There has not been, so far, a credible challenge to the basic principles of Darwin’s theory. Scientists have improved and expanded on Darwin’s original theory of natural selection - it has not been rejected, it has been added to.

3. Evolution Leads to Immoral Behavior

All animal species have a set of behaviors that they share with other members of their species. Slugs act like slugs, dogs act like dogs, and humans act like humans. It is preposterous to presume that a child will begin to behave like another creature when they discover that they are related to them. It is nonsensical to link evolution to immoral or inappropriate behavior.

2. Evolution Supports “Might Makes Right”

Elephantevolution

In the 19th and early 20th century, a philosophy called “Social Darwinism” sprung up from misguided attempts to apply biological evolution to society. This philosophy said that society should allow the weak to fail and die, and that not only is this an ideal situation, but a morally right one. This enabled prejudices to be rationalized and ideas such as the poor deserved their situation due to being less fit were very popular. This was a misappropriation of science. Social Darwinism has, thankfully, been repudiated. Biological evolution has not.

1. Teachers Should Teach Both Sides

There are tens of thousands of different religious views concerning creation. It is simply impossible for all of these views to be presented. Furthermore, none of the theories are based in science and therefore have no place in a science classroom. In a science class, students can debate where a creature branched off in the tree of life, but it is not right to argue a religious belief in a science class. The “fairness” argument is often used by groups attempting to inject their religious dogmas in to the scientific curricula.

Linky

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SunDogDayze

• Cimber

• Doug1029

• Repoman

Awesome list of 15 misconceptions about evolution:

Linky

Good post :)

Two thumbs up :tu: :tu:

Evolution is more of a religion than anything. Anytime you find forums about religion on the Internet, you'll find threads about evolution.

Note: Another thread about evolution being posted in the "Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs" forum.

I like how these threads are being moved to the science forums where they benefit no one, while their being moved away from forums where people can actually benefit from such information.

This is common knowledge to those who frequent the science threads.

I like how these threads are being moved to the science forums where they benefit no one, while their being moved away from forums where people can actually benefit from such information.

I don't understand why it was even moved here in the first place??

This isn't an article meant for science. It was meant to dispel thoughts fed by evangelistic, fundamentalist religious leaders (or at least website authors) and bring an end to some of the crap that is being fed to people, total lies and twisting of the facts, so that they can see the truth about evolution.

Please move it back to the original topic, or even in the SvS topic, as it fits perfectly with one of the most common subjects found in those topics.

P.S. Cimber-is that Dave Grohl in your avatar? If it is, I think I may love you! :wub:

Edited by SunDogDayze

I don't understand why it was even moved here in the first place??

This isn't an article meant for science. It was meant to dispel thoughts fed by evangelistic, fundamentalist religious leaders (or at least website authors) and bring an end to some of the crap that is being fed to people, total lies and twisting of the facts, so that they can see the truth about evolution.

Please move it back to the original topic, or even in the SvS topic, as it fits perfectly with one of the most common subjects found in those topics.

Its a common occurrence that happens when threads like these pop up. It happened before to good, informative topics meant for the laypeople in regards to evolution.

Theres no reason for this to be moved here.

I like how it doesn't say who moved it either. I bet I can guess...

I would lobby to the mods to get it moved back perhaps? At least to the SvS forum.

Science is a series of corrected mistakes.( excuse my lack of finesse with the bb codes(sigh)Did i do something wrong ? Am A newbie sorry!!!!

Edited by squacked off
Fixed tags

I would lobby to the mods to get it moved back perhaps? At least to the SvS forum.

I asked them to on the post a few back, but I don't really know who to go to. I don't want the particular mod who moved it in the first place to think I am retaliating...

PS did you see the message about your avatar? Scroll up a little, it was an edit. :)

Edited by SunDogDayze

Funny how you assume that people in the spiritual forums don't know this information. It's the preconception that anyone who has questions about the validity of some claims which are purportedly supported by science must be at best ignorant of science or at worst science bashers which is the biggest problem.

I've moved this thread back however in future please include a few words of your own to remove any ambiguity over why you were posting it, as it is the opening post contains only quoted material from another site and there's no indication that it has any special significance in the spirituality boards.

Evolution is inherently a science topic not a religious topic, unless specified otherwise topics that appear to be be purely discussing evolution will be moved to that section. It's usually only when the topic is taken in the context of the origins debate that it becomes a discussion for the spirituality boards.

If you disagree with the moving of a thread you are very welcome to hit "report" and appeal the decision, your post naming specific moderators as the culprits however has been removed; villianising whoever moved it isn't going to help your case to have it moved back.

Funny how you assume that people in the spiritual forums don't know this information. It's the preconception that anyone who has questions about the validity of some claims which are purportedly supported by science must be at best ignorant of science or at worst science bashers which is the biggest problem.

I'm glad you find it funny, because what I said is true. Lets see how many quotes I can find regarding evolution in this forum which are false statements.

Wow, this is sad...people can believe we evolved from monkeys but no one except we are of our own kind, how sad.

Humans were allways human.

monkeys were allways monkeys.

no , i dont beleave humans roots meet with monkeys.

darwin claims that black people are closest to monkeys thus making them the dumbest of all humanity. now thats just sick.

People have tried to tell me that humans are related to giraffes, monkeys, chimpanzees, and coffee stains. Yep, you heard it right...coffee stains. However...once again, no evidence.

EXplain that, in the same way any where in the fossil records there are no transitional forms, evolutionist have been caught faking stuff.

Show me a transitional form from the cambrian explosion and i will show hundered of fossils, still the same today as they were back then and they will show they emerged not as transitional forms but full y formed

i knpw there are, and among all those odds, we got an earth perfectly balance, by chance.

I got these quotes from people after literally spending 4 minutes in the SvS forum. No ones merely questioning the validity of scientific claims, they are downright ignoring science and spreading information known to be false.

I also agree that it is horrible that if someone is religious they are assumed to not know anything about science, and if someone is a scientist they are assumed atheist, even though the vast majority of scientists are atheist. Anyway, lets try to lighten up the mood :D

I found this on some website lol

linked-image

I also agree that it is horrible that if someone is religious they are assumed to not know anything about science

No ones making such a claim here. You can tell someone knows nothing about a given topic by what they type. IE see the quotes I posted above.

Theres a high number of people who post blatantly false information on the Spirituality and SvS forum compared to the regular science forums.

Edited by Cimber

Great find Sundog!!!

Lots of people aren't totally o'fey with evolution - I always like little refreshers. I have also noticed that people who purport to believe that evolution occurs are often as off-track on its actual implications as those who don't. (not on here of course he he!)

Some forms of Social Darwinism seem to creep into people's posts now and then.

Edited by Belqis

Awesome list of 15 misconceptions about evolution.

Good job! I try to avoid fights with creationists, they're like fights with DC about dragons, but somehow a thousand times worse.

If Christians want to learn about evolution, I would recommend books, interviews, and articles written by Francis Collins or Kenneth Miller. Francis Collins "The language of God" seems to be a pretty good book from what ive read.

Hairston

Evolution is more of a religion than anything. Anytime you find forums about religion on the Internet, you'll find threads about evolution.

A very good display of poor logic. That's nothing new round here though...

A very good display of poor logic. That's nothing new round here though...

Actually what I said is true. Can you show me a religious forum that does not have topics about evolution? If not please retract your statement. THanks. :)

Actually what I said is true. Can you show me a religious forum that does not have topics about evolution? If not please retract your statement. THanks. :)

So are you saying because evolution is dissused on religious forums that makes it a religion? How so?

So are you saying because evolution is dissused on religious forums that makes it a religion? How so? If not, please retract your statement. Thanks. :)
Edited by BlindMessiah

Well, I only assume all that about Christians. Because if they follow that religion then they would need to truly believe in that religion's bible - otherwise they have already proven themselves to be hypocrites (which is another word for liar) and why would anyone care about what a hypocrite had to say in the first place?

So I think it is much more polite to assume that Christians are simply unaware of the imense, huge, overwhelming body of scientific evidence and simple observable examples of evolution than to assume that they are aware of the facts about evolution but choose to still call themselves Christian.

I mean, if you believe every organism on the planet lived inside some big boat a few thousand years ago then there is no way you could possibly believe in evolution without being a hypocrite.

Isn't this obvious to everyone?

Not necessarily. This might be news to you but evolution is not a religion, walkingwithfire. Furthermore, its not an attack on religion, unless you make it. Whats so wrong about theistic evolution? You've never explained that, so far as I know, and furthermore, there is a 36-37 some odd page thread where people with your stance, i.e. creationism, were warmly welcomed to posit scientific information supporting creationism. Oh, yes, thats right, nobody brought any proof to the table. Kinda funny, hmm? Creationists always seem see something 'invalid' about evolution, which turns out to be a bunch of sensationalist pseudo-science rot, and then they have nothing to bring to the table to validate creationism.

Well, I only assume all that about Christians. Because if they follow that religion then they would need to truly believe in that religion's bible - otherwise they have already proven themselves to be hypocrites (which is another word for liar) and why would anyone care about what a hypocrite had to say in the first place?

So I think it is much more polite to assume that Christians are simply unaware of the imense, huge, overwhelming body of scientific evidence and simple observable examples of evolution than to assume that they are aware of the facts about evolution but choose to still call themselves Christian.

I mean, if you believe every organism on the planet lived inside some big boat a few thousand years ago then there is no way you could possibly believe in evolution without being a hypocrite.

Isn't this obvious to everyone?

Most Christians that believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis, are scientifically ungrounded. Most are mislead and brainwashed by Christian leaders. For example, I was talking with a Christian yesterday about evolution, and he couldn't understand how I believed it. This is what he believed evolution states. There was a pile of sludge, and a lightning bolt hit it. There was a few cells. They had kids and fish were born. The fish had offspring and we got reptiles. Then birds. Then monkeys. Then humans. He then asked where the other creatures came from and why don't offspring turn into new species today. I tried to explain that evolution was nothing like that but he'd have none of that. He gave me a book of his, From Goo to You by Way of the Zoo, written by Harold Hill. The book was immensely amusing and filled with outright, seemingly intentional lies. The point is, most who don't believe in evolution are misled, not all however.