Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Furry Snake?

Teen Cthulhu

I was lurking the forums this evening, reading about sightings and such, when I realized I had a sighting to report that I hadn't thought to report before. It's actually a second-hand report to be honest. So several years ago I was returning from visiting a friend of mine for the weekend, only to find my mother and sister in front of my house with flashlights. As I live in a suburb and the front of my house consists of stairs, sidewalk, and an ugly bush, I was intrigued. They then explained to me the events that lead to their apprehensive search. Apparently, as they reached the top of the first flight of stairs leading to my house (there is one flight leading up from the sidewalk and another, shorter, staircase perpendicular to it) they noticed a critter they described as long and visibly furry, with movement like a snake or large centipede, crawling up there stairs. This is where I will have difficultly giving description. It must have had tiny feet or none at all because as it ascended the stairs it's body shaped to fit the stair. To better describe it's movement I'd have to say lay a length of rope on a staircase and press it down so that all parts of the rope are laying on the top of a stair or clinging to the side of it. That explanation was probably poor but I can't explain it any better, I hope anyone reading this understands what I'm trying to express. At any rate, it began to follow them up the stairs, so naturally, they screamed and fled up the second flight of stairs (my mother and sister are very "girly" girls. I don't mean to offend but they are the type that will scream and run from a spider). As they were opening the door apparently it began climbing the second set of stairs. Apparently the critter was rather quick. My sister and mother hoped into the threshold of our front door and watched as it slithered up the stairs, onto the porch, and under the glider. They turned on the porch light and called our neighbor to come over and search for it, but it wasn't to be found.

Before you discount this story, both my sister and mother gave me the exact same story separately. Also, my mother wasn't drunk (I could tell) and my sister was far too young to have been. Also, I don't believe either of them engage in recreational drug use.

I believe this to probably some real animal. I've done extensive google searching and have found nothing. I was hoping that someone could possibly identify this creature. Any constructive input would be very appreciated. Any websites I could search on or any resources I could use would help.

Oh, I live in Western PA in a suburb of Pittsburgh. That information might be helpful.

Sounds like a millipede or centipede.. They can get pretty long. One of my friend's apartments is infested with something we call spider-bots. They're really some kind of albino milipede thing and move fast as hell, they bite too.

Odd, there have been numerous sightings of similar snakes over the years, some near your area.

The books THE UNEXPLAINED by Karl Shuker and his latest book EXTRAORDINARY ANIMALS REVISITED. Sorry I don't have any web sources, but I'll do a quick search and see what I find.

The Brazillian Howler Monkey Snake: http://www.newanimal.org/howlersnake.htm

Report of a hairy viper: http://books.google.com/books?id=RAiLB8CAL...efnaLSkIR14uVcw

Could find none of the other stories on the web though sorry. If you get the chance, read the books.

Thank you so much for the information. The hairy viper report seems to accurately describe the critter I'm talking about. I will certainly try to find these books.

:D Awesome! Glad I could be of assistance.

Oh so much to work with but such the wrong forum. As far as a hairy snake (giggle giggle) I would suggest a Gellet micro thin. I do sugest that apon seeing one you back away slowly and never speak of it again. Just my opinion though ;)

Huh?

EDIT: Oh, no I get it know, *Giggle giggle*

Edited by Undeadskeptic

Just a few questions. How big was the creature? could they see eyes or a recognizable head? My initial thought was a weasel or something in that family, with the long sinuous body and the way they tend to lay flat and more or less slither when frightened.

Just a few questions. How big was the creature? could they see eyes or a recognizable head? My initial thought was a weasel or something in that family, with the long sinuous body and the way they tend to lay flat and more or less slither when frightened.

Yeah, I was thinking ferret....

Reminds me of a dream I once had. There wsome breed of fox withought legs called Lazer Foxes because they could go really fast even though they were non-pedal.

But not really in the way he desribes...

I mean you would know if it was too big to be a millipede! Holy cow.....maybe it was one of those creatures from Dreamcatcher...the Stephen King movie...that's what it ounds like to me. Did you say that it followed or CHASED them up 2 flights of stairs??? Are you kidding me?

I recently re-questioned my sister and mother about this creature. They could not discern any visible head or eyes, or even a mouth. It wasn't as long as I originally remembered them saying, so now I'd estimate the length to be barely under a foot long.

Apparently it also had yellow on it (though I neglected to ask if it was in stripes, spots, ect. unfortunately). And either they told me and I forgot or they just never told me but apparently they tried to prod it away with a broom before it slithered under the glider, and when they did so the creature appeared to try to attack the broom in a defensive manner. Upon hearing this I assumed it was some kind of snake but apparently they could very distinctly see the fur and could not discern any sort of mouth, tongue, or eyes at all.

I mean you would know if it was too big to be a millipede! Holy cow.....maybe it was one of those creatures from Dreamcatcher...the Stephen King movie...that's what it ounds like to me. Did you say that it followed or CHASED them up 2 flights of stairs??? Are you kidding me?
I'm not sure it chased them. Probably followed, actually. Regardless, they ran from it and it followed. Edited by Teen Cthulhu

Maybe it is a fur covered snake?

What do you mean "Pointing out the obvious"?

It could have been a centipede. We get MONSTER centipedes in our house yearly, and the way they're built, it looks like they're furry snakes. (: Your description (no visible eyes or mouth, and under a foot long) seems to fit the breed we have quite nicely.

They're horrific. ):

linked-image

These guys can get pretty big, and believe me, when you open the shower and find one in the bathtub, you could just positively die. :cry:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefil...ipede.htm#house

edit; The website says centipedes of KY (that's the search I ran, because I figured it'd be easiest to find the one I was talking about that way), but I'm sure you can find house centipedes just about anywhere.

Edited by Grissy

Am I the only one with a severe case of heebie jeebies?

Although I am curious as to what this is, so you can know how to keep yourself safe. *eek!*

It could have been a centipede. We get MONSTER centipedes in our house yearly, and the way they're built, it looks like they're furry snakes. (: Your description (no visible eyes or mouth, and under a foot long) seems to fit the breed we have quite nicely.

They're horrific. ):

linked-image

These guys can get pretty big, and believe me, when you open the shower and find one in the bathtub, you could just positively die. :cry:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefil...ipede.htm#house

edit; The website says centipedes of KY (that's the search I ran, because I figured it'd be easiest to find the one I was talking about that way), but I'm sure you can find house centipedes just about anywhere.

It seems possible. I have seen these centipedes before, unfortunately, in the shower in my old apartment and scurrying along the floors of my grandparents house at night. They do live in PA, and it seems like possibility. While I'm certain my mother and sister have seen these creepy crawlies before, it's possible that, because it was at night, my family could not identify it as such. Also, I've not known these critters to react aggressively when threatened, like this critter did. Usually when I go to squish them they run away.

By the way, thanks for bringing up those creepy little buggers. Now I have to sit with my feet up on the chair for fear that one will come streaking down the hallway and, god forbid, touch me.

Thank god I live in New Zealand. All we have here are Weta, basically egorged grasshoppers that are so huge they can't jump. I saw one eating a dead mouse once, thats how big they can get. And don't forget NZ has the largest confirmed centipede ever. And I live in the area where it was found.

Oh.

Furry Snake?

Puss Catterpillar?

Have I mentioned the Giant Eel of the Penal Isles?