Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Viking women wore revealing clothes'

Owlscrying

Stockholm - Viking men often dressed in strong colours and silk while women wore revealing clothing, a Uppsala University researcher said.

Archaeologist Annika Larsson has studied fashion during the Viking Age from 750 to 1050 AD based on textiles found in graves in the Lake Malaren region, ranging from Stockholm to Uppsala.

Trade routes often influenced styles, Larsson said, noting how oriental features disappeared with the arrival of Christianity and the Vikings starting to trade with the Christian Byzantine and Western Europe.

Her theory about how Viking women dressed in the pre-Christian era was based on a new find in Pskov, near Novgorod in Russia.

The find suggested that women's skirts consisted of a single piece of fabric that was open in front. Suspenders held up the train and functioned as a harness that was fastened to the breasts with clasps.

"It is easy to imagine that the Christian church had certain reservations about clothing that accentuated the breasts in this way," Larsson said, saying that a ban by the church might explain why the style disappeared during the Christian era.

go

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• War Eagle

• Lilly

• The Silver Thong

• She-ra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would have been great to live as a Viking. ''ARRGGHH'' linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

heh, run along, the men must talk. Then we pillage.

We eat heartily this 'morrow.

Quite?

what?

okay i just confused myself..

The find suggested that women's skirts consisted of a single piece of fabric that was open in front. Suspenders held up the train and functioned as a harness that was fastened to the breasts with clasps.

go

Fastened where at on the breast, with clasps so I'm guessing the nips?? Thats weird.

This thread reminds me it's time for big budget female Viking movie, with the sexy yet well built Xena type babe etc etc...

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

Fastened where at on the breast, with clasps so I'm guessing the nips?? Thats weird.

"Damn"

Dont reckon that wood tickle all that much!!!

" Some how I think I might get cracked for this", LOL. I'll give it go..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik/Bondage_(BDSM)

I promise I'll go to church on Sunday!!! :innocent:

post-52682-1204199495_thumb.png

No, not clasped to the nipples (ouch!), rather fastened at the breast to another piece of cloth (remember this is a cold climate guys). See link here. However, indoor dress, with thin pieces of silk clasped (one panel in front, one in the back) could have looked fairly sexy.

Then again, I was recently told that a T-shirt and Nike pants look *hot* (sweaty, no makeup, hair mushed up in a clip no less). In other words, there's just no rhyme or reason with you guys! :lol:

No, not clasped to the nipples (ouch!), rather fastened at the breast to another piece of cloth (remember this is a cold climate guys). See link here. However, indoor dress, with thin pieces of silk clasped (one panel in front, one in the back) could have looked fairly sexy.

lmao :w00t: @ myself

"It is easy to imagine that the Christian church had certain reservations about clothing that accentuated the breasts in this way," Larsson said, saying that a ban by the church might explain why the style disappeared during the Christian era.

linked-image

Edited by Siara

Vikings are still around, they just evolved a little more today...

linked-image

:rofl:

Sorry ppl, Viking Art/Mythology was always a cool topic for me, hey least it's still on topic...

note the skimpy err ''revealing'' wear...

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by REBEL

Sorry ppl, Viking Art/Mythology was always a cool topic for me, hey least it's still on topic...

linked-image

linked-image

I love the fact that we can always count on you REBEL to come up with the great pictures, whatever the topic it seems! :yes::tu:

linked-image

linked-image

Wicked Pix bro! :tu:

Great visuals, Rebel. Can I request some Frazetta works?

Edit: Oh, heck. I won't make you do all that "work!" Not exactly Viking, but in that vein.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by Incorrigible1

Cool! here a few more then...

I think i scoped out some of his works reminds me of Boris Vallejo's works.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Wow, some of these gals are rather 'chunky' (at least a la modern Hollywood standards), I mean they are even 'chunkier' than I am (and I ain't no petite thing at 5' 8 1/2" 150 lbs). They've even hit the gym pretty darn hard as well. Uh, do you guys find this to be *attractive*? Just wondering as I've even been called an 'Amazon' a couple of times (and I'm not even close to these ladies!).

Wow, some of these gals are rather 'chunky' (at least a la modern Hollywood standards), I mean they are even 'chunkier' than I am (and I ain't no petite thing at 5' 8 1/2" 150 lbs). They've even hit the gym pretty darn hard as well. Uh, do you guys find this to be *attractive*? Just wondering as I've even been called an 'Amazon' a couple of times (and I'm not even close to these ladies!).

If you hadn't used the "Amazon" word, I would have. Love 'em! Properly proportioned, of course.

If you hadn't used the "Amazon" word, I would have. Love 'em! Properly proportioned, of course.

Gee, that's kind of nice to know (guess I shouldn't have glared at the guy in the gym who referred to me with, "Wow, what an Amazon".)

It may have been some kind of tactical battle ploy for warrior viking women to wear 'revealing clothing'?

Any male ever came up against em in battle their swords would have been raised immediately?

Just a thought anyways

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image