Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Bird boy' found in Russia

Owlscrying

A seven-year-old "bird-boy" can communicate only by "chirping" after his mother raised him in a virtual aviary in Russia.

Care workers say the neglected child was found living in a tiny apartment surrounded by cages containing dozens of birds, bird feed and droppings.

He does not understand any human language and communicates instead by chirping and flapping his arms, reports Pravda.

Social worker Galina Volskaya, who was involved is rescuing the child from his home in Kirovsky, Volgograd, said he was treated like another pet by his 31-year-old mother who never spoke to him.

Miss Volskaya said: "When you start talking to him, he chirps."

Russian authorities say the child was not physically harmed but is suffering from "Mowgli syndrome", named after the Jungle Book character raised by wild animals, and cannot engage in any normal human communication.

go

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Hissie Sola

• glorybebe

• Stephbut

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor boy! It reminded me of those children i saw on a documentary that were left or abandoned, and would travel often with wild dogs. This was in Russia, and they said that if children don,t learn speach within the first few years of life that chances are their never going to be able to, and will continue to vocalize like the wild dogs they stuck close to! Very sad!

Its sad that even in the modern urban world children are being abandoned like this..

Reminds me of that story of the other feral chicken boy from indonesia or someplace, he was place in a chicken coop at a young age and the only human he contact he had was with a senile grandparent who brought him food..

Interesting as hell... I wonder if he can actively talk to other birds that he wasn't raised with? That would be something.

Interesting as hell... I wonder if he can actively talk to other birds that he wasn't raised with? That would be something.

That would! Could you imagine what that would mean? But, the poor kid would be studied for the rest of his life.

Poor boy! It reminded me of those children i saw on a documentary that were left or abandoned, and would travel often with wild dogs. This was in Russia, and they said that if children don,t learn speach within the first few years of life that chances are their never going to be able to, and will continue to vocalize like the wild dogs they stuck close to! Very sad!

I saw that documentary too. On one hand I think it is amazing that people can actually learn to speak animal languages and really communicate with them. But sadly, it only seems to occur with abandoned children, and it is damaging for their adulthood (never having learned a human language, having no human social skills etc).

I can't understand why a parent could do such a thing to a child......I hope they now work with him on human communication, but what a challange for this poor kid.......

The article is from Pravda, that says it all right there. This is as believable as when Pravda declared they found a time portal in the Antarctic, or that Russia had drilled a hole so deep they found hell. Silly really. I have no doubt that the said boy was miss treated, but I'm sure this has been embelished....

Poor boy. I hope he'll be okay in another home or whatever the social worker takes him to.

I saw that documentary too. On one hand I think it is amazing that people can actually learn to speak animal languages and really communicate with them. But sadly, it only seems to occur with abandoned children, and it is damaging for their adulthood (never having learned a human language, having no human social skills etc).

I saw that documentary too. I wonder if the feral kids would have better lives if they lived with each other rather than being forced to adapt to humanity? They are social beings with social skills. The problem is that they don't have normal human social skills. They might be able to relate to each other on a very sophisticated nonverbal level.

Seems like Russia has a problem with feral children

- if that's real or not I couldn't tell ya. Seems quite fake to me.

Seems like Russia has a problem with feral children

- if that's real or not I couldn't tell ya. Seems quite fake to me.

That girl was in the documentary too. Not saying that that makes it real, but I would believe that NGC would do at least a little bit of research into the legitimacy of that case before adding it to their documentary.

I wonder if the feral kids would have better lives if they lived with each other rather than being forced to adapt to humanity?

I was thinking something similar. This little boy, as sad as it is, may be a perfectly happy and functioning captive bird. I say captive since he obviously can't fly around and alight in trees, etc. Perhaps it is kinder to let him continue being a bird?

I saw that documentary too. I wonder if the feral kids would have better lives if they lived with each other rather than being forced to adapt to humanity? They are social beings with social skills. The problem is that they don't have normal human social skills. They might be able to relate to each other on a very sophisticated nonverbal level.

They could make a reality show out of it - kinda like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Feral Cat Kid and Feral Mouse Kid! :D

How can a human being learn........... bird lenguage? I'm perplexed. :blink:

Is there any information on him actually comunicating with other birds?

Edited by Alex01

I don't see how there could be any real information about him actually communicating with birds since mankind has no real proof that communication between humans and birds is possible at all.

I was wondering that too....all I could think of is that different species of birds have different chirping sounds...Maybe that's what they were going by....What really threw me is that the boy is now in an "asylum"....I hate that word.......