Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Ripley

Iraq War "Caused Slowdown in the US"

54 posts in this topic

cpjason

Lets not forget that a lot of the money spent goes back into our economy. The majority of military hardware/goods are made right here in America. Isn't that how we got out of the great depression in WW2?

questionmark
Lets not forget that a lot of the money spent goes back into our economy. The majority of military hardware/goods are made right here in America. Isn't that how we got out of the great depression in WW2?

Yes, but a big part of those military means were paid by the allies... ask the Britons, they settled the last WW2 bill only a few month ago.

Dusty Digital
Good reply Dusty.

It is really hard to say whether or not that the complexity is necessary. That same logic also lends credibility to a one world bank system. I wholly don't believe in that either. If benevolence can be assured, it might not be a bad thing. It just seems that money is created out of thin air, and proven by the US Federal Reserve. That is what makes inflation real. GDP growth that cannot outpace that inflation is what I think is creating this crisis. If every little consumer product that America buys is manufactured in Asia or Mexico does that not mean we are sending all our money over there? Or does it mean that we are paying interest or reallocating debt? Why can't we make the same products ourselves? Is it because we owe them? Or that other people stand to make more money by prudent business decisions and savvy market evaluations? If we can take those same products and sell them into local economies would that not seem like a win win situation? Just because I don't understand the whole global economic theory, does that mean that I should hold faith in something that I don't completely understand?

It starts to become a mind crunch when you try to understand the global economy. Are you allowed to eliminate someone who owes you so much money? You'd like to, but that eliminates your chance at getting paid. Just because I can blow you up, does that mean I don't have to pay my debts? I think that is what is holding the world together. It is MAD. I think that there is such a thing called economic terrorism that is being enacted against GWB and if he is not a part of it, he is obviously the dumbest person to ever lead us down the tunnel. I think he is part of it though.

Just a quick reply to a few points in you posts:

I tried to find an illustration of actual money supply growth (how many more bills the federal reserve prints out each year) but a quick google didn't bring me to it. Apparently economists seems to think that the growth of money supply actually has little to do with inflation nowadays, but I'll have to look more into it. I agree that if GDP growth can't keep up with money supply difficulties are bound of emerge.

On the subject of producing abroad, it might be worthwhile to remember that those production choices are caused by american consumer preferences. Yes you are sending your money over there, but in return you are getting very affordable products for american consumers. You could produce it all yourself, but because of high wage costs in america most americans couldn't afford a fraction of the lifestyle they can now. This is the rarely-talked-about flipside of the "they're taking our jobs" argument. China (nor any other developing country) is hardly cheating the U.S.. Your current debt is simply caused by american consumers' willingness to favour cheap foreign products over more expensive american ones.

ThePitOfReason

We pay for the price of war in the price of the things we need the most. Gas is killing people and food is sure not what it used to cost.