Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does ghost hunting HAVE to be done at night?

arianna23

What's your opinion......do you think that ghost hunting MUST be done at night to get the full potential for evidence of a haunting? Right now, all I want to do is try to get some EVP's in a very old part of a country cemetary. Nobody will go with me.....too chicken. And, I do not feel comfortable in the middle of nowhere by myself in pitch black darkness....in a cemetary of all places. I have no problem going during the day. I am sure that EVP's can be captured no matter what the time of day/night.....I just wondered how this whole nighttime issue plays into success rates of capturing evidence. This cemetary is pretty remote, at least 10 miles from nearest town, and I know of no houses near it. So I would think it would be as peaceful/quiet in the day as it would be at night. Thoughts please?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoahJaymes

• arianna23

• LadyHay

• MasterPo

The reason why most investigations are done at night, it's because the day time energies have subsided and usual paranormal activity starts. There is also the 'magic hour' of 3am that acitivity is most previlent. But there have been many cases where activity has been during day time hours. I would definately find out first the prominant time of activity before doing an investigation.

Welcome Arianna!

Some people would say that it's best to do so at night because of the "witching hour."

I don't necessarily think so...

I don't believe Ghost act on cue, & can manifest themselves whenever, for whatever reasons..

I would think a lot of people ghost hunt at night due to the quietness and less people milling about, less traffic so less chance of picking up outside noise on evp's/images on camera etc etc .

Personally I really wouldn't think it would make that much difference . I don't believe in the whole ghosts come out at 3 am lark . and the way I see it if its there at night theres a high chance its there during the day as well .

Its just that since were all so wrapped up in our daily chores/work/activities our senses become heightened at night therefore causing more experiences to be reported then .

If someone says they are going on a ghost hunt especially in a cemetary at night . I usually suggest they go in the day before hand anyway so they can familiarize themselves with anything in there that in the dark, may seem paranormal . Ie distance from roads, (headlight beams are often mistaken for darting figures ) Lights from nearby houses . statues can sometimes show up in photos that may appear paranormal if the photographer wasn't aware of its position beforehand . Taking some pics during the day and then comparing with your night shots can help with eliminating some of these .

I think you will be fine going during the day . You could always take some pictures and evp's and then go back at a later date for a night time visit when you can find some willing companions .

Good luck :)

SS79

The reason why most investigations are done at night, it's because the day time energies have subsided and usual paranormal activity starts. There is also the 'magic hour' of 3am that acitivity is most previlent. But there have been many cases where activity has been during day time hours. I would definately find out first the prominant time of activity before doing an investigation.

Therein lies the problem....nobody has ever formally investigated this place. So nobody really knows when the most activity occurs.

Welcome Arianna!

Some people would say that it's best to do so at night because of the "witching hour."

I don't necessarily think so...

I don't believe Ghost act on cue, & can manifest themselves whenever, for whatever reasons..

Thanks!

I would think a lot of people ghost hunt at night due to the quietness and less people milling about, less traffic so less chance of picking up outside noise on evp's/images on camera etc etc .

Personally I really wouldn't think it would make that much difference . I don't believe in the whole ghosts come out at 3 am lark . and the way I see it if its there at night theres a high chance its there during the day as well .

Its just that since were all so wrapped up in our daily chores/work/activities our senses become heightened at night therefore causing more experiences to be reported then .

If someone says they are going on a ghost hunt especially in a cemetary at night . I usually suggest they go in the day before hand anyway so they can familiarize themselves with anything in there that in the dark, may seem paranormal . Ie distance from roads, (headlight beams are often mistaken for darting figures ) Lights from nearby houses . statues can sometimes show up in photos that may appear paranormal if the photographer wasn't aware of its position beforehand . Taking some pics during the day and then comparing with your night shots can help with eliminating some of these .

I think you will be fine going during the day . You could always take some pictures and evp's and then go back at a later date for a night time visit when you can find some willing companions .

Good luck :)

SS79

Thanks a bunch! I plan on going everyday for about a week. Hopefully, not only will I become accustomed to the surroundings, but the surroundings will become familiar with me(well, hopefully not TOO familiar). I have heard of people being afraid of entities following them home after investigating cemetaries.....any thoughts or advice on how to tell ghosts they are not welcome to follow me? I am taking a digital voice recorder and a mini dv camcorder. I hadn't thought about taking pics.....but will. Anything I might capture I would love to share here.

Thanks a bunch! I plan on going everyday for about a week. Hopefully, not only will I become accustomed to the surroundings, but the surroundings will become familiar with me(well, hopefully not TOO familiar). I have heard of people being afraid of entities following them home after investigating cemetaries.....any thoughts or advice on how to tell ghosts they are not welcome to follow me? I am taking a digital voice recorder and a mini dv camcorder. I hadn't thought about taking pics.....but will. Anything I might capture I would love to share here.

I tend to think those who believe an entity will follow them home are very likely to have experiences when they do get home . not necessarily because they have been followed more because they will put anything that happens ie noises. creaks etc down to their visit to the cemetary . Our imaginations can run away with us . I would relax and not worry about it too much but If you are really worried about that I guess you could just ask . Its the only way i can think of to be honest. and you never know, if they are intelligent enough to want to come home with us then surely they can follow a simple request if asked nicely ;) .

SS79 :)

Edited by SS79

I tend to think those who believe an entity will follow them home are very likely to have experiences when they do get home . not necessarily because they have been followed more because they will put anything that happens ie noises. creaks etc down to their visit to the cemetary . Our imaginations can run away with us . I would relax and not worry about it too much but If you are really worried about that I guess you could just ask . Its the only way i can think of to be honest. and you never know, if they are intelligent enough to want to come home with us then surely they can follow a simple request if asked nicely ;) .

SS79 :)

LOL...I honestly believe I have a benign spirit in my house already. I think if something followed me home they would politely tell them to get out of their house. I am not worried for myself, it's more about my 8 year old son. I don't discuss ghostly things with him as I wouldn't want him to start experiencing runaway imaginations. I just wouldn't want a butthole ghost following me and upsetting my son. I've never had to kick a ghosts a##, but would try if need be.

To answer your question the answer is no. Ghost Hunting can be done at any time of the day; however like many people have said its the witching hour tactic that lures ghost hunters. Along with this at night everything is more calm, quiet and your senses are heightened.

Other times its when the paranormal experiences happen. They often happen when people are half asleep. So when the people contact investigators they tell them the occurances happen mostly when they are half asleep they want to focus on the time period it happens the most.

What's your opinion......do you think that ghost hunting MUST be done at night to get the full potential for evidence of a haunting? Right now, all I want to do is try to get some EVP's in a very old part of a country cemetary. Nobody will go with me.....too chicken. And, I do not feel comfortable in the middle of nowhere by myself in pitch black darkness....in a cemetary of all places. I have no problem going during the day. I am sure that EVP's can be captured no matter what the time of day/night.....I just wondered how this whole nighttime issue plays into success rates of capturing evidence. This cemetary is pretty remote, at least 10 miles from nearest town, and I know of no houses near it. So I would think it would be as peaceful/quiet in the day as it would be at night. Thoughts please?

there is no particular time for ghosts....or paranormal activity....coz there are no ghosts...its all in the mind!

Nope, it can be done at anytime. The reason why I personally go at night is because most people are asleep or getting ready to go to sleep so you have less noises blocking out EVP's.

I have gotten clear audio and pictures during the day. So there is no difference.

I have heard of people being afraid of entities following them home after investigating cemetaries.....any thoughts or advice on how to tell ghosts they are not welcome to follow me?

There are protection prayers in most religions that can be used. If you are non religious you can use a white light prayer. The most important thing with any protection prayer that you use is the belief that you have in the words that you speak. As for things following you home, mot sure if much can be done about that. I would say that 99% of the time nothing like that would occur. That other 1% percent you would have to seriously disturb something in order for it to happen. From doing simple EVP and camera and camcorder activity, I would think that there is no chance of that happening to you.

My experiences in a cemetery have actually been quit enjoyable. Just like other places you can get orbs and and EVP and other things recorded. For me its always been peaceful and enjoyable in a cemetery, as they are designed to be just that.

Edited by SkylarYoung

For one, I would not recomend researching at a cemetary by yourself. Nothing good will come of it, hopefully nothing bad. With someone with you, you have someone to verify if something strange happens, and also if you get hurt, god forbid, someone can get help. Second, paranormal investigations can be held during the day but results seem harder to read for many reasons. This is just from my experience. Good luck and stay safe. :D

I believe that ghosts would rather not reveal themselves. There not here to put on a show. So they come out at night instead of the day when less people are around. But that's silly because now everyone knows that ghosts are out mostly at night. Poor ghosts.

Edited by Ghost Ship

I think it is generally accepted that the environment becomes more conductive for paranormal activity at night. Like others have said; not many people are up at night, there isn't much activity at all, add that to the witching hour and you got yourself prime ghost hunting time.

Edited by Super_Sasquatch

In your case, because you want to record an EVP, it's best to do it at night. Looking at it scientifically, it's quieter at night. Less traffic, noises, etc. It will be easier for you to weed out a background noise from what the ghost is saying. Just something to think about.

In your case, because you want to record an EVP, it's best to do it at night. Looking at it scientifically, it's quieter at night. Less traffic, noises, etc. It will be easier for you to weed out a background noise from what the ghost is saying. Just something to think about.

However also note that sound travels further at night.

I actually just got done reading a book on ghost hunting , and they say that the reason ghost hunting is better at night is there is something in the human eye that relaxes at night and it makes it easier for your eyes to pick up slight changes . We hunt ghosts at all times and have had just as much success in the day time as we have at night .

Night investigations also have a very practical explanation - Most people work during the day! :D

hi i think the daytime is perfect, contary to most beliefs, i have only ever experienced paranormal sighting in the daytime when i have been alone, to be honest i think the spirits dont really show for the ghosthunters parading around the place in pitch black, the really spookiness is in the middle of the day, around 2-3pm in a quite place.. i think your idea is great and will keep a check to see how it went for you... when you first open yourself up to spirit, its best to ask spirit to show themself's and when you are finished, say a prayer again thanking them for their presense and tell them they can go now, or something of the sort, you must decide your own opening and closing prayer... mine is personal to me and so should yours be... practice it and when you feel comfortable with your prayer's the spirits will feel comfortable in your presence...

hope this helps

spirit x

As to the idea that 3am is the "hot time", that has become popular recently due to the PRS show. Nothing really before it made 3am the key period for ghosts. Demons maybe. But not ghosts in general. There's an equally compelling argument that most paranormal activity happens with in the first few minutes of an investigation.

I actually just got done reading a book on ghost hunting , and they say that the reason ghost hunting is better at night is there is something in the human eye that relaxes at night and it makes it easier for your eyes to pick up slight changes . We hunt ghosts at all times and have had just as much success in the day time as we have at night .

Vision begins when light rays are reflected off an object and enter the eyes through the cornea, the transparent outer covering of the eye. The cornea bends or refracts the rays that pass through a round hole called the pupil. The iris, or colored portion of the eye that surrounds the pupil, opens and closes (making the pupil bigger or smaller) to regulate the amount of light passing through. The light rays then pass through the lens, which actually changes shape so it can further bend the rays and focus them on the retina at the back of the eye. The retina is a thin layer of tissue at the back of the eye that contains millions of tiny light-sensing nerve cells called rods and cones, which are named for their distinct shapes. Cones are concentrated in the center of the retina, in an area called the macula. In bright light conditions, cones provide clear, sharp central vision and detect colors and fine details. Rods are located outside the macula and extend all the way to the outer edge of the retina. They provide peripheral or side vision. Rods also allow the eyes to detect motion and help us see in dim light and at night. These cells in the retina convert the light into electrical impulses. The optic nerve sends these impulses to the brain where an image is produced.

This is a brief description of how the eye works from the American Optometric Assc. http://www.aoa.org/x6024.xml

I used to go to cemeteries in the daytime and got voices. Mostly the reason for doing it at night is there is less surrounding noise. Make sure that you are not around anybody and note the passing of cars.

Edited by tahoesista

I agree with some of the reasons why "ghost hunters" go at night - its quieter, more are available at that time.

I don't understand is why "hunters" go to a building at night and turn the lights OFF! Unless using infrared, running around in the dark is more likely to result in eyes playing tricks and false sightings.