Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does ghost hunting HAVE to be done at night?

arianna23

Welcome to UM. I think most huntings take place at night because at night, there may be fewer things that may cause interference with your investigation (like seeing lights is easier in the dark)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoahJaymes

• arianna23

• LadyHay

• MasterPo

I agree with some of the reasons why "ghost hunters" go at night - its quieter, more are available at that time.

I don't understand is why "hunters" go to a building at night and turn the lights OFF! Unless using infrared, running around in the dark is more likely to result in eyes playing tricks and false sightings.

Doesn't have to be IR. Regular cameras can definately get affected by lights.

Also, all those lights put out heat and EMF that can throw off instruments.

I don't understand is why "hunters" go to a building at night and turn the lights OFF! Unless using infrared, running around in the dark is more likely to result in eyes playing tricks and false sightings.

You are kidding right? I have been investigating longer than Ghost Hunters has been on Air and I have ALWAYS investigated places with the lights off for various reasons. Same reason why people investigate at night. Lights are off, senses are heightened, it seems calmer just to name a few.

Also what MasterPo said.

Edited by __419__

I happen to agree with hezz . I don't think its necessary for the lights to be off . I just think some prefer it that way and i think there are some who believe that ghosts only come out in the dark lol .

IMO having the lights off can cause more confusion . more misdiagnoses and such . Maybe not for those who have been in the field a long time but for newbies to ghost hunting who arent' sure what s going to happen or aren't familiar with the noises and creeks of a certain place etc etc .

I always think it adds too the spook factor but thats about it really . the people who are experiencing the phenomena who have called in the PI teams/ghost hunters don't always report hearing the noise only when its dark do they ? or see the shadows etc when its dark ? lots report activity in broad daylight so its likely the ghost hunters will see the same if thats really whats occurring .

Personally I just like to be able to see everything clearly so i know no mistakes are going to be made . But then i'm not a ghost hunter LOL and I admit a tinsy winsy bit jumpy of the dark LOL :P which is why i wouldnt trust it as much myself if it was me investigating . I know once its dark you say the senses are heightened . But don't you think that could be a part of the problem . I think that your more likely to assume somethings paranormal when its dark even if it isn't due to being on edge. expecting something to happen , being a little jumpy and not being able to see your surroundings so well . at which point you hearing sharpens and every sound becomes more magnified to you .

I'm not saying your group enjay or anyone elses who investigate in the dark are wrong . just that IMO it isnt a necessity

Just my opinion

SS x

Edited by SS79

linked-image

Ghost hunting at night is always the best time to go. Less interference.

You are kidding right? I have been investigating longer than Ghost Hunters has been on Air and I have ALWAYS investigated places with the lights off for various reasons. Same reason why people investigate at night. Lights are off, senses are heightened, it seems calmer just to name a few.

Also what MasterPo said.

No! LOL I am not kidding! But I guess I have a different method than most. I'm not into all the fancy gadgets that people love. I'm more about using our own senses. I don't really believe as of yet, that EMF detectors and all the other stuff can help locate a ghost (although I DO have some) . I guess when these tools are proven to detect, then I might use them.

So you trust your feelings on a location over technical equipment? So im taking it that your group doesn't provide much evidence and I really hope your evidence isn't based on personal experiences. Then again from what I know your group doesn't conduct investigations like a lot of groups.

You said when tools are proven to detect then you may start using them. Since when did someone prove ghosts exist? Do you locate a ghost using your feelings? Who is to say that is a proven method? If you are going to base your investigations off of your own impressions which in itself is a tool, you might as well use technical equipment because neither is proven...... because why.........this field isn't proven.

I happen to agree with hezz . I don't think its necessary for the lights to be off . I just think some prefer it that way and i think there are some who believe that ghosts only come out in the dark lol .

IMO having the lights off can cause more confusion . more misdiagnoses and such . Maybe not for those who have been in the field a long time but for newbies to ghost hunting who arent' sure what s going to happen or aren't familiar with the noises and creeks of a certain place etc etc .

I always think it adds too the spook factor but thats about it really . the people who are experiencing the phenomena who have called in the PI teams/ghost hunters don't always report hearing the noise only when its dark do they ? or see the shadows etc when its dark ? lots report activity in broad daylight so its likely the ghost hunters will see the same if thats really whats occurring .

Personally I just like to be able to see everything clearly so i know no mistakes are going to be made . But then i'm not a ghost hunter LOL and I admit a tinsy winsy bit jumpy of the dark LOL :P which is why i wouldnt trust it as much myself if it was me investigating . I know once its dark you say the senses are heightened . But don't you think that could be a part of the problem . I think that your more likely to assume somethings paranormal when its dark even if it isn't due to being on edge. expecting something to happen , being a little jumpy and not being able to see your surroundings so well . at which point you hearing sharpens and every sound becomes more magnified to you .

I'm not saying your group enjay or anyone elses who investigate in the dark are wrong . just that IMO it isnt a necessity

Just my opinion

SS x

If you are investigating the paranormal there is an automatic spook factor. Whether the lights are on or off. Why? Because you are there trying to find ghosts! Also, whether people realize it or not certain lighting effects can alter ones mind. Something I learned in Psychology. Ever walk into a store and the bright lights give you a headache? A study shown as an example in my I/O psych class was that workers who worked around flouresant lights were more acceptable to poor performance, increased absenteeism which in return gives off poor production. Which could lead to layoffs and a higher turnover rate. Not nearly the same thing, however you get where I am going with this.

If you have a controlled environment, well as controlled as it can get, you know your surroundings. You can account for every noise you hear. I don't know of anyone who base their experiences off of assumptions. Not only that we have every corner covered with full audio so if we hear something we can go back and listen to the audio with the video. During an investigation you know where everyone is and you know when something occurs that isn't supposed to occur. I mean hell, I stress being logical, debunking etc on here 24/7. Its not what you see on Ghost Hunters or any other paranormal show where you hear something in another room and you look at each other "Dude, did you hear that, what the hell was that?" Its NEVER like that with my group, at least not as of yet.

With the lights on you face a lot more obstacles than you may realize.

I too have heard both sides of this theory. Personally, don't see why daytime would be any worse than night time hunts, provided the ambient atmosphere isn't crowded with normal day time distractions.

As for the "witching" hour and 3AM thing...please...it's a Catholic contrivance. And besides, do ghosts observe daylight savings times? Or do they run on Greenwich Meant Time (GMT)? It just sounds absurd if you approach it from even a mildly scientific perspective.

The ONLY way I imagine the time of night having an effect, would be a scientific explanation relating to the suns position relative to the earth (assuming solar radiation has some sort of effect on paranormal phenomena).

So you trust your feelings on a location over technical equipment? So im taking it that your group doesn't provide much evidence and I really hope your evidence isn't based on personal experiences. Then again from what I know your group doesn't conduct investigations like a lot of groups.

You said when tools are proven to detect then you may start using them. Since when did someone prove ghosts exist? Do you locate a ghost using your feelings? Who is to say that is a proven method? If you are going to base your investigations off of your own impressions which in itself is a tool, you might as well use technical equipment because neither is proven...... because why.........this field isn't proven.

So you trust unproven technical equipment just because some ghost group says so? No, we don't really provide evidence. I think most groups are hard pressed to provide any legitimate evidence. In fact, the witnesses are more likely to provide evidence than the teams, in my humble opinion. And exactly, ghost haven't been proven, thus, technical toys have not proven anything either.

I question the validity of certain tools as used to obtain "evidence" on investigations.

No No No No No No No No No ... :lol: I have caught evidence during the day. Investigators like to do it at night because it is more quiter and their evidenced couldn't be scewd into something else.

I think it would make the whole experience spookier. People like to be scared.

I think it would make the whole experience spookier. People like to be scared.

Sooooooooooooo Eric when are you going to scare me????? :w00t:

So you trust unproven technical equipment just because some ghost group says so? No, we don't really provide evidence. I think most groups are hard pressed to provide any legitimate evidence. In fact, the witnesses are more likely to provide evidence than the teams, in my humble opinion. And exactly, ghost haven't been proven, thus, technical toys have not proven anything either.

I question the validity of certain tools as used to obtain "evidence" on investigations.

What makes you think I use "unproven" tech equipment because some ghost group says so? What my team does my team does. I don't base anything we do off of anyone else. Witnesses are more likely to provide evidence? On what conditions? Depending on the conditions in their immidiate surroundings it can infact increase their "claims" when it isn't even anything worth noting, unless for their safety. Something in which I stated earlier about certain lighting effects, exposure to high emf etc. Some equipment isn't necessarily to find ghosts as people may think, but to possibly find reasons for such claims. Such as an EMF detector used to find abnormally high emf reads which can be hazardous and can cause certain feelings. When someone comes on here saying they encountered some abnormal or otherwise paranormal occurance we all suggest medical reasons to disprove their claims. Why do you think paranormal groups are called in? To validate those witnesses claims. Are we to roam around and validate their claims based on our own feelings of what we may or may not already know of the area? Are those impressions we are feeling at the time not implemented by our subconscious in one way or another? I'd rather use the equipment TO SUPPORT the feelings I get rather than relying on the impressions I feel on a supposedly active site. I mean...you are there for a reason.

Sooooooooooooo Eric when are you going to scare me????? :w00t:

Right now. BOO! :P

Right now. BOO! :P

Hee Hee......didn't work I guess we need to wait until night time ;)

What makes you think I use "unproven" tech equipment because some ghost group says so? What my team does my team does. I don't base anything we do off of anyone else. Witnesses are more likely to provide evidence? On what conditions? Depending on the conditions in their immidiate surroundings it can infact increase their "claims" when it isn't even anything worth noting, unless for their safety. Something in which I stated earlier about certain lighting effects, exposure to high emf etc. Some equipment isn't necessarily to find ghosts as people may think, but to possibly find reasons for such claims. Such as an EMF detector used to find abnormally high emf reads which can be hazardous and can cause certain feelings. When someone comes on here saying they encountered some abnormal or otherwise paranormal occurance we all suggest medical reasons to disprove their claims. Why do you think paranormal groups are called in? To validate those witnesses claims. Are we to roam around and validate their claims based on our own feelings of what we may or may not already know of the area? Are those impressions we are feeling at the time not implemented by our subconscious in one way or another? I'd rather use the equipment TO SUPPORT the feelings I get rather than relying on the impressions I feel on a supposedly active site. I mean...you are there for a reason.

Oooook, do what ya gotta! lol

But I guess I have a different method than most. I'm not into all the fancy gadgets that people love. I'm more about using our own senses. I don't really believe as of yet, that EMF detectors and all the other stuff can help locate a ghost (although I DO have some) . I guess when these tools are proven to detect, then I might use them.

This is interesting.. out of curiosity, when you go into a house believed to be haunted how do you do your investigations exactly?