Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worst nightmares you've ever had?

gary5023

I'm just curious; what are some of the most frightening nightmares any of you have ever had? I mean some of the just absolute scariest imaginable? I'll start off with two of mine, both when I was a child. In the first, I was walking thru the living room in the house I grew up in, and it was at night; suddenly, unexpectedly, a hand grabbed my shoulder and spun me around, and there was nothing there. I still get shudders thinking about that. In the second one, I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and as I was doing my thing, this Huge hand came out of the mirror, beckoning to me, and this crazy sounding deep voice goes 'Pick up the Body'. I know that sounds crazy, maybe even laughable, but Man, I liked to have died; I woke up screaming, and I think I even wet the bed a couple of times the rest of that summer before I would use that bathroom in the middle of the night.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldTimeRadio

• Pelican_Eel

• Blackfoot

• TheOmni

I had a very vivid dream once of demons hanging me by my wrists to a tree as they attempted to eat my heart. Every time I tried to scream nothing would come out; muted. The demons happened to be members of a church I went to... :unsure:.

Another one I had was witnessing a woman I know being burned alive. The screams was excruciating.

When I was five I dreamt that I was looking sort of down at close range on a nun standing on a beam in a giant attic with lots of open beams and light streaming in. She was barefoot and holding a large wooden bowl of milk, but sort bobbing up and down in the milk were red, blue and greenish veins. I have no idea where those images came from, I wasn't raised religious, wasn't allowed to watch scary movies, and really didn't have a clue what or who a nun was at that age. All I know is it scared me so badly I wet the bed, which was the only time I ever did that as a kid. I get the chills just thinking about it

Later in life when I was in my late twenties I had a surgical test and they didn't put me totally out but did knock me almost out. I got home and laid down and had a half nightmare hallucination. I saw in the dream that I was in a very similar apartment to my own but empty, and I was in the middle of the living room when out of no where I was surrounded by these female vampire chicks with pale skin, light eyes and long white hair. They surrounded me and then began like spinning around me, and as they started spinning they leaned their heads back and opened their mouths and all of them had these like long needle like teeth, and as they opened their mouth they started screaming this shrill piercing scream. I woke up but I think due to the drugs they gave me for the test I couldn't become fully conscious. I saw this like floating squiggly animated ball that changed color in front of my field of vision and couldn't make it go away. Its hilarious now but animated squiggles on tv still give me the heebee jeebees. I don't ever really have nightmares just the occasional precog dream but mostly pretty mellow stuff but those two were the scariest ever.

I'm not sure if I would call those types of dreams nightmares or scary cause I dont get scare or find them horrible but anyhoo. I was once hack to pieces by a some deform creature and kill. Once it kill me I was floating above my corpse waching the creature put my body parts in a bathtub full with water which turn red very bloody.

But like I said I wasnt scare at all just kinda p*** cause I let myself get kill. I very rarely get scare in my dreams but I do remember this one time I was. I was walking in a dark room there was a huge weird corpse on the ground it look sorta like a grey alien but 4 times larger and it was all white it was acutally glowing white light all over its body. I was sure it was dead and kneel down to touch its face then it quickly grab my hand very harsh. I was very frighten I started punching it in the face as hard as I could I woke up punching the floor my hand all bruise lol. Thats the only time I can remember being scare in a dream and I dream like that few times a month.

The one that comes to my mind occurred when I was 8 or 9 y/o.

I was sitting in my room back in Alameda, CA, reading a book, my door was open and I could hear everyone down the hall. Within minutes the rug, which was made of of Legos that could be made to bend to any shape, rose up in mound shaped, much to my dismay, like the upper half of a human male. I mean from the top of the pants up with fully formed arms and head. The first time I had this dream I woke screaming for someone to help me, the second time I had almost made to the door all the while calling out for help but it caught me, the third and final time was my Sophmore year of High school, I managed to escaped and slam the door shut. I woke up at that point and haven't had that dream since.

Most of my dreams tend to be my sub-conscious mind trying to help settle arguments, usually by revealing a deep seeded fear, but this one had me locking something up. Something that used to be stronger than me.

This is a good thread.

I almost never have nightmares, but there was one dream in my childhood. I know I was younger than seven years old, because when I was about seven I remember telling this dream to a friend, and I started to cry while talking... Now it doesn't seem so vivid anymore.

In a dream, me and my mother were running and hiding from some guy and woman. They lost our track, so me and my mother went to some kind of public toilet. I also remember, that the guy got bored and stopped chasing us, but the woman was stubborn. So, I remember my mother standing in front of a mirror, retouching her makeup perhaps, I'm a bit nervous and tell her that we should go, but she just looks at me and smiles, so relaxed. Suddenly this evil woman shows up. She screams something like: "here you are!!! now you'll get what you deserve!!" and calls my mother a name that isn't even her's. I don't remember exactly how it happened... but, basically... she cuts my mothers head off, in a sink, here lies her head, and her body in a bathtub, and maybe a head also in a bathtub (later), and the bathtub is so white full of red red blood. I'm standing in the corner crying, the woman finished her job, she looks at me superiorly, and walks away.

I don't have nightmares very often. My worst recent nightmare that I remember was when I dreamed that I was running around in a forest with two friends. We were running around and around when I suddenly fell in a lake (it came from nowhere) and sank to the bottom and got stuck in the mud. I tried to get up but I couldn't. I saw one of my friends swimming by and looking at me but she did not help me get up. I could really feel the panic. I woke up when I died in the dream. It felt so real.

The worst dreams that i have had are when you know you are in a dream and you cant get out. I remember this one when i was about 11 i was in a school and i knew i was in a dream and i wanted to get out, but couldn't...i asked someone "how do i get out" and the person said(dont remember if male/female)"go see the man in the next room" so i went to the next room and i remember seeing an old man; his face was so vivid i can remeber the details...he told me to just close and run my eyes...so i did and i woke up... :o Another isn't really a dream but what freaks me out the most is when you wake up and someone is at the end of the bed staring at you, or right up at your face!

I had a dream that i was holding a young child hostage with a gun, but before i held him hostage i told him not to worry i wont shoot you, and he said it was ok and he trusted me. So i had the gun to his head infront of a bunch of police saying my demands, i pulled the trigger thing back and said "ILL SHOOT HIM!!" but i guess it didnt pull it back all the way or something it let go and fired.... blew his head off. I woke up like freaking out, it sucked

Edited by JohnnyRush

I think the I had my scariest dream when I was about 7 or 8. It was very vivid, and i can still remember it in detail, even 25 years later. In my dream, I was awakened by my grandmother, and told there was a very bad storm, and that I needed to move into another room of the house. As i start to get up, the bed seems to grow, so I roll over and start crawling towards the other side(one side of the bed was almost against a wall). As soon as I started crawling, though, I felt a cold hand grip my ankle. I looked down, and there was a kind of chitinous looking (it was kind of scaly, but not like snake or fish scales..more like it was made of beetle shells or something) brown and black hand reaching up from between the bed and the wall, wrapped around my ankle. I tried to scream, but couldn't make any sound, and it started pulling me back towards the edge of the bed. I started kicking, and managed to kick my leg free, and dived off the bed. I looked back just in time to see the hand slipping down behind the bed, and I ran out of the room. I told my grandmother, but she wouldn't believe me, so (being a dream), i let it go and sat down to wait out the storm. The last thing i remember is looking back towards the bedroom, and the lights there being out, but the fingers of the hand wrapped around the doorframe, and what looked like a bunch of glowing eyes in the darkness..*shiver* still spooks me.

Another, when I was probably around 12 or 13, in my dream I had gotten up to use the bathroom, and I noticed when I walked in that the light was already on in the bathroom, and that the shower curtain was open (this was kind of unusual, the light would normally have been off and the curtain closed), but I didn't really think anything of it. I used the restroom, than went to the sink to wash my hands. When I looked in the mirror, I could see over my shoulder that the shower curtain was now closed. I turned and walked to the shower, and pulled back the curtain, and now there were two creatures hanging from the ceiling. They had short, stubby legs and small clawed feet that were holding onto the cieling, both were brown in color, one was dark brown, and the other was sort of a tan color, and the tan one was about 1/3 smaller than the dark colored one. Other than the legs, they were just long, rectangular shapes, about 4 feet long, 2 1/2 feet wide, maybe 1 1/2 feet thick, and ALL mouth. When I saw them, they both turned towards me and basically split along the narrower side, making two 4'x2' jaws with lots of sharp teeth and lunged at me..that's when I woke up. Not quite so many shivers remembering that one, but still quite scary.

I have never had nightmares except when I was a very young child, when I had a certain recurring dream. I have had dreams that other people might have been unsettled by, but they never bothered me.

DREAM #1) A few years ago, I had a dream where I found myself wandering in an underground cavern-type place all alone. I then saw a very aged man with a really long white beard and long white hair, dressed in a white robe, holding a wooden staff. I believed him to be God himself. He didn't talk to me, but it was kind of like he was telling me where to go telepathically, without saying a word. It was weird. He was telling me to go into this room right in front of him, so I went. Once I was in the room, the room started spinning really fast and the whole time I'm in that spinning room, I see the devil's face in front of me. And that's where the dream ended. So basically, I saw God, and I was sent to hell.

DREAM #2) I also had a dream not too long ago, maybe a couple months ago, where I was just at home, doing nothing really, and suddenly I just start hearing a little girl laughing and giggling. I look behind me and see the tablecloth being tugged, by nothing, right in front of my eyes. And also see a plant moving, as if someone's messing with it, all while still hearing the laughter of the little girl. I'm still getting chills while writing about it. It was just a strange feeling.

DREAM #3) Happened 2 days after dream #2. I was outside one night, it was really dark out, and I wandered off into a big cemetary, all alone. Then while in the cemetary, I went into this small house-type building that was in the center of the cemetary. The second I stepped into the building, I instantly felt an unexplainable EVIL presence. It was completely dark in there, with the exception of a few lit torches on the walls. I spent less than a minute in there and the evil feeling just got so bad, I just ran out of there and out of the cemetary as fast as possible. I just can't really explain that evil feeling I got. It was haunting and I've never felt anything like it. It felt so real.

Edited by Shadow09

Eating a dead decomposing cat. Off the scale on the GAK meter.

I had a dream Sinbad ran a 2 hour special... AHHH!!!

But when I was younger I watched a lot of Goosebumps, and I remember being TERRIFIED of the slappy doll. I would have countless nightmares with HIM involved.

One dream I remember in particular was actually really creepy...

I was in my house alone and it was late at night, I decided to walk up to the highest floor in the house. It was my parents room... So the first thing I did was I turned on the light, nothing out of the ordinary. A little bit to my right was a mirror, I felt compelled somehow so I walked towards it. I looked up into the reflection and I could see both myself and...(I know how weird this sounds)...Ronald McDonald (lmao) standing a distance behind me. But he wasn't goofy looking at all... he had sharp teeth and a sinister look in is eyes... kind of like like an evil clown sort of thing. I turned around and he was just standing there... He didn't move at all, he just stood there smiling with his wide mouth open and his eyes would follow me. I started to breathe really fast... I looked back into the mirror, and he was gone! I turned around again just to make sure... but things were different. There was blood everywhere and it was coming from a lifeless cut off human head. I walked towards it and picked it up, (WHY??!!! I DON'T KNOW) It was Ronalds head, and it was just smiling at me with the same look he had on his face earlier. It's eyes were wide open and it would just blink...

I never ate McDonalds ever again... :ph34r:

Oh, good thread. I just had one recently (past week) where I somehow woke up and it was the future. I was walking out on this wooden platform/porch thing that overlooked this huge lake, trying to figure out where I was, and then someone was telling me that I couldn't go back. There were explosions across the lake and people started running into the building, and when I went in, I realized it was where my future self lived, and that my daughter (who is only 4) was all grown up and gone and I had missed her whole childhood! It was so sad, and I woke up near tears...

This dream happened in the summer of 02......

I dreampt of this place it was very hot and humid like a sandy place. I wasn't walkn around this place I was more like floating around to different scenes of the dream. I would be in different rooms as in a prison or different buildings. And there are these men who have their faces covered and dressed in dark officer uniforms. They are beating and torturing all these other men. They have em hanging upside down beating their feet. Any kind of torture you can think of it was happening to these men. I then came to this large cell.

And here I find these men chained to the floor. Wimpering and askin me to help em. Lookin up at me as tho they can see me.. I'm still floating or lookin down at them from a corner not far. I started to cry tellin them not to make any sounds or these bad men will return. They start to pray. And these men come to the cell and start to torture this man hanging by his arms.. The language they speak is unfamiliar to me but I can understand them somehow. As I'm still floating in the corner, crying and hollaring at these men who can seem to hear me. And then I wake up crying....

The following year was when the Iraq war broke out ( Mar 03 ). As things went by and they talked more and more about this war and how Saddam went about things in his country. I watched a show on Discovery I think but I may be wrong might be a different one. But as I was watching they were talking about how Saddam's sons would have people tortured sometimes jus for fun. They had people on the show that survived all this horrid stuff. And this man talked bout how they would hang men upside down and beat their feet. Or chain em too things and beat them and these men couldn't cry out or they got beaten more. I hope by posting this it doesn't offend anyone, but it was really a scary nightmare I had encountered that later on seem to have happened and maybe I was there somehow.

As things went by and they talked more and more about this war and how Saddam went about things in his country. I watched a show on Discovery I think but I may be wrong might be a different one. But as I was watching they were talking about how Saddam's sons would have people tortured sometimes jus for fun. They had people on the show that survived all this horrid stuff. And this man talked bout how they would hang men upside down and beat their feet. Or chain em too things and beat them and these men couldn't cry out or they got beaten more.

LOL. Isn't it ironic that Sadaam does not torture anyone anymore, and that that torch has been handed off to the United States? This country tortures people without a qualm. All the time.

And about that dream that I said I had when I was very young...

I had that dream in between the ages of 2 and 4. I remember having the dream and not being able to even ask my parents what was going on with it because I wasn't able to speak very well yet. I didn't ever have the dream when I lived in New Mexico, which means that the recurring nightmare stopped before I moved to Albuquerque from L.A. when I was 4.

I have lots of memories from a very young age. I can remember the time before I was able to even walk or crawl, much less talk.

In this dream, I was toddling around a dark industrial area. It was night time and all of the buildings around me were made of red brick and very tall.

I went around a corner, and suddenly there were some THINGS standing there. For some reason, the way that they looked was always blocked from my mind, so I cannot describe at all how they looked. These things would transport me into the inside of a large open room in a building made of red brick.

They would then strap me (against my will) into this silver canister that looked like a bullet, or coffin...

And then they would shoot me into the ground at high speed, and I'd wake up screaming.

I had this dream SOO many times when I was a very young boy, but one day they stopped.

A atom shapes UFO eclispsed the sun ,my family and I pull up to our driveway to our house in a SUV.I was in the back seat, for some reason my dad steps out of the car and says" look at the airplane everyone", and then the rest of my family steps out of the car. I yell to them that its a UFO get back in the car.Then tthe metallic atom shaped UFO shot a lazer and disintegrated all my family that were out side of the car and I was the only one left alive. For some reason it skips to me being in my house at night alone and the roof is missing and the rain is pouring down on me as I cry in scattered dabree

I also just had a dream before I woke up today, just an hour or so ago, and it was about me and my brother. We went to the lake with a couple friends. I even saw my ex and her brother up there. :) But anyway, it was all cloudy and the lake was dried up in a lot of places. You could see parts of metal objects stuck in the ground, as if a plane crashed into the lake when it was full. Anyways, we went wandering around the lake. We found this very small village. We went to look around a little. We saw this house and the main door to the house was open, but still had a screen door. And someone starts walking to the door (from inside the house). When I could clearly see this person, it was a weird, ugly, somewhat deformed boy. I'd say around teenage years. His skin was a blackish color as if he had been burned badly before. He had a bag on his shoulder, as if he was going to a school or something. But anyway, once me and my brother saw him, we both ran off in different directions. I didn't think that guy paid much attention to us, but after I got away, I was standing there catching my breath, and then I see that guy just running towards me. Then he pulls out two sharp bladed objects and starts swinging at me as fast as he could and right before I woke up, the last thing that happened was I was helpless and I just remember that guy slashing up my legs with the blades and that was it. I knew that was the end. I knew I was dead. Weird feeling. Kinda reminded me of those movies like The Hills Have Eyes or something. Edited by Shadow09

One of the dreams i have had and a couple times in my adult life is this and its quit disturbing: I am walking out of my home (various times of day) getting into my truck to go somewhere, i get in start it up and put the truck into drive and start down the road, my neighbors start to wave at me with these Erie expressions and I'm thinking wow they are being way to friendly, then they start waving to me more frantic, more like a hand motion pointing to my truck, and for the life of me i don't know why so i start slowing down and there are people running up behind me with these awful expressions and i get scared and go faster passed them and come to a stop, get out and hear people yelling and with half cries and start to walk toward the back of my truck and there are people around the back with there mouths covered in shock and moaning loudly looking to-wards my truck and as i am walking back there yelling to call 911 and there are some on the phone with police and i can hear them screaming ( we need the Paramedics fast) and as i slowly turn at the rear of my truck i catch a glimpse of my little girl who is 7 and she has somehow got caught on my truck tailgate and i have been dragging her with me while i was going down the road and her lifeless body is ....Well thats when i wake up...i never see what the outcome of her was(Thank god)

This is one of the worst dreams i have ever had.....needless to say before i go anywhere i check behind my truck at least 3 times and before i even pull out of my driveway i stop and check again..

One of the dreams i have had and a couple times in my adult life is this and its quit disturbing: I am walking out of my home (various times of day) getting into my truck to go somewhere, i get in start it up and put the truck into drive and start down the road, my neighbors start to wave at me with these Erie expressions and I'm thinking wow they are being way to friendly, then they start waving to me more frantic, more like a hand motion pointing to my truck, and for the life of me i don't know why so i start slowing down and there are people running up behind me with these awful expressions and i get scared and go faster passed them and come to a stop, get out and hear people yelling and with half cries and start to walk toward the back of my truck and there are people around the back with there mouths covered in shock and moaning loudly looking to-wards my truck and as i am walking back there yelling to call 911 and there are some on the phone with police and i can hear them screaming ( we need the Paramedics fast) and as i slowly turn at the rear of my truck i catch a glimpse of my little girl who is 7 and she has somehow got caught on my truck tailgate and i have been dragging her with me while i was going down the road and her lifeless body is ....Well thats when i wake up...i never see what the outcome of her was(Thank god)

This is one of the worst dreams i have ever had.....needless to say before i go anywhere i check behind my truck at least 3 times and before i even pull out of my driveway i stop and check again..

:o:no:

in general, there are some pretty scary dreams in this thread so far. very interesting :)

Probably about two years ago, I had a dream that went from surreal and strange to terrifying very quickly. I was in my second period "Drawing 1" class and fighting off some fierce fatigue from a late night assignment rush that left my mind and body totally exhausted. Being at the back of the room and not particularly interested in being lectured on figure drawing, I pulled the hood of my sweatshirt up and dozed right off. Well, at some point I heard my teacher yell my name and threw my head up, waiting for everyone's laughter but there wasn't anyone in the room. It was totally empty. "Was class over?" "Did we just have a fire-drill or something?" I kept asking these questions and grabbed my sketchbook and supplies to leave but when I tried to open the door it wouldn't budge. I tried the other two exits and started to get worried when I noticed there was something sticking out of my sketchbook.

After looking closer at it, I realized it was a wing, like a dragonfly's or a cicada's and it was twitching! I threw the sketchbook across a table and the moment it hit, the cover flew open and bugs were erupting from between the white pages. I stumbled backward and turned to throw a chair into the door but I couldn't even put a scratch in it no matter how hard I struck. I was swatting giant mosquitoes from my face and shouting when something worse came out of the book across the room. A snake, and then another, more and more slithering from somewhere in the paper. I was trying to piece together what in the hell was happening and then I realized, these were all my sketches. All these creatures were animals I had to draw during class and right then, they were filling the classroom I had no escape from. Something kept nagging for my attention in the back of my head and when I finally listened to my own voice screaming in my ears, I woke up.

Everyone was there and laughing in my face. My art teacher was staring at me, annoyed as ever. The creatures were gone and I sat there shaking, slipping my fingers under one of the last pages of my sketchbook. I opened it up and found what almost escaped in my nightmare. A full page drawing of a black widow spider holding its fangs out ready to bite.

This was probably THE most life like and messed up nightmare I have EVER had and I don't think I have to tell you I never dozed off in Drawing 1 again :blink: .

Edited by Agapo

I think the worst nightmare I've had was just a few weeks ago. I think I watched too much of the SCI-FI channel that night...

It starts out with: I'm on a Naval Reserve weekend, and it's later in the evening...I'm out with friends from my battalion, at a restraunt. There is a TV at the bar and a news broadcast is saying something about pieces(bodyparts) of people being found all over downtown neighborhoods with guts strewn all over the place. Were all standing in the lobby waiting to be seated staring open mouthed at this broad cast thinking its a prank or something when suddenly, there is a sound like high pitched whine mixed up with animal growling noises, and this spinning black cloud appears and engulfs one of my friends shredding her to pieces right before our eyes; she doesn't even have time to scream. A split second later, all that is left of her is a couple of intestines and fingers. On a closer look the cloud has claws and teeth, but you only see them out of the corner of your eye, when you look at the thing straight on it blurs. 3 seconds later, "It" moves on to another person, cutting his body in half, blood and guts going everywhere. By now the bartender has reacted, and has pulled out a shotgun and is firing it into the black mass. It roars in response and rips through the bar like paper and kills the bartender sending his leg spinning across the room in a shower of blood. A waitress is pulped next, and then the thing dissappears.

All this has happened in less than 10 seconds, and the rest of us are standing dumbfounded, when all our beepers go off, startling everyone out of their stupor. The smell of blood and feces from intestines is overpowering, and people are vomiting. It turns out we are all called to a manditory recall and have to go to the Naval Base to be briefed...(on guess what)

Any way it turns out I'm in uniform, at the briefing listening to a few admirals telling us about these "portals" opening from another universe where these creatures are coming from. They can open anywhere, in the street or inside someone's house. We are trying to form a plan of action when there is human screaming and animal growling noises from the hall way out side, so we all run from the briefing room into the hallway to find, 8 people dead and most of them missing, no creature in sight. Once again, all that is left is gore everywhere in the hall way.

I woke up at this point, scared out my wits!

Hows that for a nightmare? Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night.

This isn't my worst, but I remember waking up in cold sweat. I dreamt it this autumn.

I was at my friend's house, and someone came - my friend went to open the door, and it was her friend (who I hardly know and never think of...). He came in, while my friend went out to chat with a neighbour, I think. He who came in looks very suspicious to me... something is wrong... suddenly I notice that his skin has this greenish colour. He looks very pale and greenish. "what is wrong with you?" I ask, but he doesn't answer, just gives me this very strange creepy look and smiles, and I see that gums above his teeth are green too..! He steps towards me, I can't do anything, he throws a little knife-dagger and it sticks into my stomach. My stomach is very soft, because I'm a frog now, ( :ph34r: ) and I bleed lots and lots and lots of green liquid... My killer then jumps through the window in this strange demonic way, very unnatural.

Then I wake up.

The creepiest part was his face and the colour of it, and the fact that my friend could not see it and could not help me, it all happened so fast.