Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sorry, I just can't swear to that...

norwood1026

You are called to jury duty and are in the process of being interviewed and are asked to raise your right hand and “Swear to Almighty God that you will follow and uphold the law as directed by the Courts”.

If you don't believe in gods, what will you say?

If you don't believe in gods and swear anyway, would you be perjuring yourself?

Or would you rather be given the chance to swear to something else more along the lines of your particular set of morals and ethics?

Do you think you would be chosen for jury duty solely on the grounds of your disbelief?

I've heard that in some places like the UK that you don't swear on a bible, but on your honour. Is that more or less realistic?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• norwood1026

• Michelle

• Irish

• Lt_Ripley

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Or would you rather be given the chance to swear to something else more along the lines of your particular set of morals and ethics?

Someone swearing on their honour might be possible, but what if someone has no honour? Or their defintion of honour is radically different?

Moreover swearing on personal morals and ethics can't be done because some people don't see lying as wrong let alone those people who are criminals themselves and their morals are as corrupted as congress.

Out here you dont swear on a bible. You just swear to tell the truth, give your word of honor. The bible has nothing to do with it.

Someone swearing on their honour might be possible, but what if someone has no honour? Or their defintion of honour is radically different?

Moreover swearing on personal morals and ethics can't be done because some people don't see lying as wrong let alone those people who are criminals themselves and their morals are as corrupted as congress.

People lie all the time no matter what faith they are justI don't see how swearing on a book that you do not believe in makes it any better.

is that why bush always refuses to swear when testifying ?

is that why bush always refuses to swear when testifying ?

Good point! :rofl:

Did you know that it is against scripture to swear an oath. Christian are forbidden to swear an oath.

James 5.12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and [your] nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Did you know that it is against scripture to swear an oath. Christian are forbidden to swear an oath.

James 5.12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and [your] nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

it also works well because the issue really is that court is not a religious place. religion should remain outside our government.

16Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

17Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

18And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.

19Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

20Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.

21And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.

22And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.

Matt 23: 16 - 23

Edited by Lt_Ripley

You could always use the 'scout's honor' I guess.

linked-image

I'd swear on human decency if I had to.

I don't know if it differs from state to state but we don't in Tennessee so it's not a problem.

Before a big long discussion starts about something that may not even be happening...does anyone actually know for sure if any civilized countries are asking people to swear to God in court?

People don't like by what the bible says that would be impossible I guess some people just believe that if your swearing on the bible you must be telling the truth... :rolleyes:

You are called to jury duty and are in the process of being interviewed and are asked to raise your right hand and “Swear to Almighty God that you will follow and uphold the law as directed by the Courts”.

If you don't believe in gods, what will you say?

If you don't believe in gods and swear anyway, would you be perjuring yourself?

Do you think you would be chosen for jury duty solely on the grounds of your disbelief?

I've heard that in some places like the UK that you don't swear on a bible, but on your honour. Is that more or less realistic?

I believe that our country was founded on having GOD included in our courts. But the corruption of our legal system has ruined that for all men,and women. Money has taken the place of GOD in the courts so if you have to swear on something in a courtroom the only thing that seems to count is money!! Who ever has the most wins the trial anyway

I believe that our country was founded on having GOD included in our courts.

It wasn't but to each thier own besides ever heard of seperation & state?

I didn't know you swear on the Bible any where in the US anymore. Are you sure you have to do that in the courts SC? Have you been called to jury duty? I could see me standing there with my hand up saying "Which God?" The times I have been in a court room they didn't use the Bible or the "All mighty God" spiel. They just said "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" I heard about a congressman who swore on the Koren and everyone made a big deal about it. I didn't think it was out of line. It was his swearing in and he should be able to use what his wants. I guess I would have to use an Oak branch.

That's what I wanted to know but didn't get an answer, Darkwind.

Otherwise, this is a rhetorical question that will only fan the flames of division between believers and non-believers.

what happens when your ask do you swear to tell the truth. an you just say No i do not. what happens then

I believe that our country was founded on having GOD included in our courts. But the corruption of our legal system has ruined that for all men,and women. Money has taken the place of GOD in the courts so if you have to swear on something in a courtroom the only thing that seems to count is money!! Who ever has the most wins the trial anyway

Power and money rule the courts today, there is no justice or truth involved when you include money and power that is what will rule the court. I have seen this with my own eyes just as profiling has invaded the court system.

I was driving a 2007 dodge charger with 24 in rims tinted windows at 2 in the morning and I got pulled over because of the car I was driving the officer admitted it as he and 3 others searched my car high an low for drugs. They figure I was a drug dealer to afford such a car and instantly profiled me a drug dealer. Of course there were no drugs in the car as I am not a dealer of any kind I was simply on my way to get my little girl some medicine and got pulled over and searched like a big time drug dealer just because I am fortunate enough to afford the car I wanted. I am currently involved with a suit against the county because I refuse to let the officers get away with treating me as they did. I am a christian and will drive any car I see fit, I don't have to drive a Lincoln or a Honda to serve God I can drive what I want. The officers had a good time laughing at me because I said I was a christian all because of the car I drive! how ridiculous is that? I have never even gotten a ticket before this. So was this some kind o lesson? I don't know but I am sure if it is God will let me know.

Always a pleasure

Edited by sandee

Power and money rule the courts today, there is no justice or truth involved when you include money and power that is what will rule the court. I have seen this with my own eyes just as profiling has invaded the court system.

I was driving a 2007 dodge charger with 24 in rims tinted windows at 2 in the morning and I got pulled over because of the car I was driving the officer admitted it as he and 3 others searched my car high an low for drugs. They figure I was a rug dealer to affor such a car and instantly profiled me

You can never trust those RUG dealers :rofl:

In Canada you call for what is called Making affirmation to tell the truth as an alternate to swearing an oath.

Edited by Irish

I didn't know you swear on the Bible any where in the US anymore. Are you sure you have to do that in the courts SC? Have you been called to jury duty? I could see me standing there with my hand up saying "Which God?" The times I have been in a court room they didn't use the Bible or the "All mighty God" spiel. They just said "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" I heard about a congressman who swore on the Koren and everyone made a big deal about it. I didn't think it was out of line. It was his swearing in and he should be able to use what his wants. I guess I would have to use an Oak branch.

I'm no sure if they do that here or not. Being that this is the biblebelt I could see them doing it. Yeah thats what I would ask which God? It would only make them mad.

I'm no sure if they do that here or not. Being that this is the biblebelt I could see them doing it.

I know for a fact that Tennessee and Georgia don't. Assumptions and rumors make the world go round, eh?

You can never trust those RUG dealers :rofl:

In Canada you call for what is called Making affirmation to tell the truth as an alternate to swearing an oath.

Sorry for the spelling, I did start a thread on this subject, it has been so upsetting to me I do appreciate all your input, Always a pleasure

The times I have been in a court room they didn't use the Bible or the "All mighty God" spiel. They just said "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

That's what they say here in OR, too. I haven't personally been in court, but the friends that have had mentioned that was what was asked. I didn't think there WAS anywhere in the US that made you swear on a Bible anymore....

I know for a fact that Tennessee and Georgia don't. Assumptions and rumors make the world go round, eh?

Hence why I said, I'm no sure if they do that here or not.

BUSTED :lol: