Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sorry, I just can't swear to that...

norwood1026

A few of our presidents and at least one supreme court justice have been sworn into office with the Bible being replaced by another book that was dear to them. I believe that Thomas jefferson himself used a law book from his personal library. Could have been Madison though I don't rightly recall.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• norwood1026

• Michelle

• Irish

• Lt_Ripley

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are called to jury duty and are in the process of being interviewed and are asked to raise your right hand and “Swear to Almighty God that you will follow and uphold the law as directed by the Courts”.

If you don't believe in gods, what will you say?

If you don't believe in gods and swear anyway, would you be perjuring yourself?

Or would you rather be given the chance to swear to something else more along the lines of your particular set of morals and ethics?

Do you think you would be chosen for jury duty solely on the grounds of your disbelief?

I've heard that in some places like the UK that you don't swear on a bible, but on your honour. Is that more or less realistic?

I do believe God, but I would not swear at all. Jesus, in his Sermon spanning Matthew 5-7 states in 5:33-37:

"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

If I were to swear on the Bible, or on the God I follow, or on my own honour, or on anything at all, I would be disobeying God. I could not in good conscience do this.

You are called to jury duty and are in the process of being interviewed and are asked to raise your right hand and “Swear to Almighty God that you will follow and uphold the law as directed by the Courts”.

If you don't believe in gods, what will you say?

If you don't believe in gods and swear anyway, would you be perjuring yourself?

Or would you rather be given the chance to swear to something else more along the lines of your particular set of morals and ethics?

Do you think you would be chosen for jury duty solely on the grounds of your disbelief?

I've heard that in some places like the UK that you don't swear on a bible, but on your honour. Is that more or less realistic?

mhm. I don't think I could make myself swear on a bible. I think it is much more realistic for me to swear on my honor, indeed it would be quite dishonorable for me to swear on a bible.

That said I don't think that they still do such a thing in Australia or in most (any?) of the western world anymore.