Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge hammerhead caught in shallow water

Owlscrying

linked-image

Singer Island -- A huge hammerhead shark was caught by a Florida fisherman Wednesday afternoon in shallow water.

The shark weighed in at more than 1,000 pounds. The 14-foot-long shark was caught off Singer Island, which is in Palm Beach County.

The shark is not a protected animal. Its organs will be flown to labs as far away as San Diego for research.

go

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ~ MacDDT ~

• nosaM

• Neognosis

• grither

Top Posters In This Topic

Must've been hungry! Scary looking thing. Even worse up close when your in the water about 250 metres from shore on a surfboard! Never gotten on a wave and in so fast as that time. What made it worse is that when we got in and looked back out it wasn't just 1 but 3 of the buggers and according to people on the beach they had been around me and mate for about 3 minutes slowly getting closer all the time :blink: I was only 14 at the time too!

What an unbelievable catch...Wait till Ciraxis sees this one :lol:

Edited by goalienan

I have no sympathy for these creatures

Why is that? What has a hammer head shark ever done to you? These are magnificant creatures and as Neognosis said makes me a little sad as well. I absalutly love sharks.

Sad and good at the same time. Scientists will probably use the organs in some kind of cancer research. I'm not 100% sure on this but I vaugely remember reading somewhere that sharks genetic makeup prevents them from getting any kind of cancer.

Research the sharks... just leave the landsharks alone. B) (just trying to protect finsup)

They are found in great number out in deep water near Bermuda. Crazy beasties they be.

Sad and good at the same time. Scientists will probably use the organs in some kind of cancer research. I'm not 100% sure on this but I vaugely remember reading somewhere that sharks genetic makeup prevents them from getting any kind of cancer.

Yea, sharks are very, very cancer resistant. Unfortunately, this has resulted in a new market for shark cartilage...despite the fact that we dont' know yet if the secret is in their cartilage, or if eating it destroys whatever is in their cartilage that makes them cancer resistant....

I find it harder to have sympathy for creatures who, despite their intellect, wage war, genocide, behave with malice, and hate others of their own species who look or behave differently.

Everywhere we go, we kill whatever we find. I dont' like that about my own species, and I hope we are evolving out of that characteristic.

you should -in theory- be feeling grateful for your ability to think, stand on your feet and use your creative mind.....now for the fact that you do not have sympathy for any other creature apart from yourself, is really the one to watch out!

Edited by saturnian flame

No offence, but how does that make you any different from them? Oh wait there is a difference, they just want something to eat, so they have a reason.

Big might fisherman preying on the shark when it's trapped. This p***es me off. Throw the fool in the water with no weapons who will win? It's stupid humans complain when a few shark attacks occur yet we kill millions of sharks. Humans think they are better but they are not.

it worries me that the much of the human race is becoming more and more neanderthal like....

it worries me that the much of the human race is becoming more and more neanderthal like....

Tiggs are you saying I'm a neanderthal because I don't have sympathy for dead sharks?

Tiggs are you saying I'm a neanderthal because I don't have sympathy for dead sharks?

No she's saying your a Neanderthal because you made a cruel statement about the sharks. It wasn't dead till the stupid fisherman slaughtered it while it was trapped.

Why hate sharks? :unsure2:

They are magnificent creatures.All i know is,don't mess with what you don't know or what can kill you. :tu:

linked-image

Singer Island -- A huge hammerhead shark was caught by a Florida fisherman Wednesday afternoon in shallow water.

The shark weighed in at more than 1,000 pounds. The 14-foot-long shark was caught off Singer Island, which is in Palm Beach County.

The shark is not a protected animal. Its organs will be flown to labs as far away as San Diego for research.

go

Not surprising due to the fact that most sharks(bar those that are primarily offshore feeders) feed in water less than 6 feet deep, ive seen 8ft sand sharks in 2.5feet of water with half their backs exposed putting along without a care...still i dont find this bizarre :no:

Research the sharks... just leave the landsharks alone. B) (just trying to protect finsup)

actually, sharks seem to be ammune to almost all diseases, i think the livers are what scientists have been examining, not 100% sure though

I love sharks! The hammerhead is so odd looking; it's very cool. My favorite is the great white and tiger. They are beautiful creatures! Actually, I love anything to do with the water.

I've read some comments here that disturbs me, yes! they are sometimes a problem/nuisance creatures ( hammerheads ) and yes they are not a protected animal. but they will be if we don't stop hunting them for now reason at all.. Am quite sad that another one has gone down, who knows how many hundreds have gone down without us noticing it.